Dust under the screen

yapkuen

Jun 7, 2010
Visit site
Aw man, not this again. My Droid Incredible has dust under the upper left and lower right corners; I was really hoping HTC had locked that down in subsequent phones. Do you carry yours in a pocket without a case?

yapkuen

Jun 7, 2010
Visit site
I use a case on and off. But honestly the phone shouldn't get dust under the screen no matter what

Agreed. I only asked because I had a BlackBerry Storm (the original) for two years before my Incredible, and while other Storm users had dust-under-the-screen problems left and right, I used a sleeve for mine and never had a single speck. I went caseless with the Incredible and got dust under two corners in much less time.

streetfoo212

Dec 11, 2011
Visit site
I noticed a little speck under the screen near the capacitive buttons, but the next morning it was gone. I haven't had an issue since then, but it was definitely worrying. :-\

johnnyshinta

Jul 30, 2010
Visit site
The dust is at the bottom of my screen as well

Did you keep the storm in a sleeve in your pocket?

Last edited:

Droid800

Banned
Mar 31, 2010
Visit site
It's because htc refuses, for whatever reason, to optically laminate the glass and screen together. You'll never hear of this problem on any SAMOLED phones or iPhones, and it's because there is no gap between the screen and glass covering it.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

yapkuen

Jun 7, 2010
Visit site
The dust is at the bottom of my screen as well

Did you keep the storm in a sleeve in your pocket?

Yep, I did. It was one of those leather vertical pouches (made by RIM, I got it because it had the magnet in it to put the device to sleep automatically - wanted to save some battery throughout the day). It was open at the top so I'm not sure exactly how much of a role it had in keeping dust out, but I definitely never had dust problems with my Storm, even with the clicking screen and all.

johnnyshinta

Jul 30, 2010
Visit site
It's because htc refuses, for whatever reason, to optically laminate the glass and screen together. You'll never hear of this problem on any SAMOLED phones or iPhones, and it's because there is no gap between the screen and glass covering it.

That's just stupid.

JeffDenver

Banned
May 3, 2010
Visit site

The reason might be that it would be easier and cheaper to replace the glass if it cracked...since it isnt bonded to the actual display, you would not have to replace both together?

I dont know if that is the reason, but that would make sense. HTC Sense.

Droid800

Banned
Mar 31, 2010
Visit site
The reason might be that it would be easier and cheaper to replace the glass if it cracked...since it isnt bonded to the actual display, you would not have to replace both together?

I dont know if that is the reason, but that would make sense. HTC Sense.

I would be more expensive to replace, yes, but it's cheaper to manufacture that way. It's one of the areas where HTC lags far, far behind the others.

alcantarvf

Oct 20, 2011
Visit site
I have a light leakage problem on my Rezound especially on the bottom right... HTC did a piss poor job of sealing these phones... So I am worried as well that I will get dust under my screen because of this...

I can get over the leakage problem.... But dust under my screen is a no no...we will have to wait and see... Cross my fingers...

Sent from my ADR6425LVW using Tapatalk

bignaz

Dec 19, 2011
Visit site
I have a light leakage problem on my Rezound especially on the bottom right... HTC did a piss poor job of sealing these phones... So I am worried as well that I will get dust under my screen because of this...

I can get over the leakage problem.... But dust under my screen is a no no...we will have to wait and see... Cross my fingers...

Sent from my ADR6425LVW using Tapatalk

Hey man its got "Beats" Well a EQ with a s-curve "moves hand up and down"

Friend of mine got a Rezound and out of the box it had some dust under the screen. Reminded me of a Dell XPS One i had and Dell replaced it 3 times because there was crap between the glass and LCD. He took it back to the store and they did not want to replace it because "Its just a few specks of dust But my friend raged and they exchanged it. New one looks good but i'm worried from every day use dust might find its way back in. This kinda alarms me. If dust can enter that easy and get in between the glass and lcd whats stopping it from perhaps shorting out the phone since dust is conductive.

Always liked HTC phones in terms of build quality and feel. And i never had any issues with them

Droid800

Banned
Mar 31, 2010
Visit site
Hey man its got "Beats" Well a EQ with a s-curve "moves hand up and down"

Friend of mine got a Rezound and out of the box it had some dust under the screen. Reminded me of a Dell XPS One i had and Dell replaced it 3 times because there was crap between the glass and LCD. He took it back to the store and they did not want to replace it because "Its just a few specks of dust But my friend raged and they exchanged it. New one looks good but i'm worried from every day use dust might find its way back in. This kinda alarms me. If dust can enter that easy and get in between the glass and lcd whats stopping it from perhaps shorting out the phone since dust is conductive.

Always liked HTC phones in terms of build quality and feel. And i never had any issues with them

It's not enough to short it. But the screen attracts it so it 'sticks' and is impossible to get off. The last phone I had that had a speck of dust on the screen that I was able to get off was a droid x. I beat that thing to hell on my knee to 'tap' the dust off, and bounced it off a carpeted floor. If I tried that on a rezound it'd fall apart.

yapkuen

Jun 7, 2010
Visit site
I find this interesting cuz I've never heard this get mentioned on any phone. How big an issue has this been over the years?

If you're referring to the dust issue, probably just small enough that HTC can continue to justify not laminating the cover glass ;)

To be fair, the dust problem I had on my Incredible was not significant. The dust specks are basically only visible under extremely bright sunlight or when holding the phone at a generally useless angle.

Reactions: humpagardengnome

curtiswhite

Apr 4, 2010
Visit site
All phones can get dust under the glass. Maybe some more then others.. My og droid has allot of dust specs under the glass. Someone would think this would be a easy problem to solve. But i guess not.

Droid800

Banned
Mar 31, 2010
Visit site
All phones can get dust under the glass. Maybe some more then others.. My og droid has allot of dust specs under the glass. Someone would think this would be a easy problem to solve. But i guess not.

None of samsungs amoled phones can. The RAZR can't. The iPhone can't.

We already have the solution, but htc doesn't want to use it.