Global Phone?

Simon_y7

Oct 1, 2011
Visit site
Ok will do, how do I check frequency?

If you're going to be in Europe, they use - depending on the provider - either GSM 900 or 1800 MHz band. Just notice who your providers are, which may change from country to country. Your "phone info" may also tell you, but I'm not sure. Note that GSM providers in the US use different bands (850 and 1900 MHz), therefore, just because Rezound recognizes a US T-Mobile SIM and allows to make and receive calls, this doesn't guarantee that it would work on European bands.

Last edited:

dpham00

Moderator Team VP
Apr 23, 2011
Visit site
If you're going to be in Europe, they use - depending on the provider - either GSM 900 or 1800 MHz band. Just notice who your providers are, which may change from country to country. Your "phone info" may also tell you, but I'm not sure. Note that GSM providers in the US use different bands (850 and 1900 MHz), therefore, just because Rezound recognizes a US T-Mobile SIM and allows to make and receive calls, this doesn't guarantee that it would work on European bands.
I'd imagine it was quad band GSM since the sensation XL is quad band GSM, and the rezound is very similar to it. But,of course, it is a good idea to check.

Nephilim13

Apr 26, 2010
Visit site
This is from Wikipedia, but is a summary of what the Qualcomm MDM9600 radio in the Rezound is capable of:

MDM9600™:

Multi-mode modem
4G (LTE) data rates of up to 100 Mbit/s with full backward compatibility to Dual-Carrier HSPA+
EV-DO Rev. A/Rev. B support
GPS functionality, including support for Assisted GPS

theRalph

Aug 27, 2010
Visit site
This is from Wikipedia, but is a summary of what the Qualcomm MDM9600 radio in the Rezound is capable of:

MDM9600?:

Multi-mode modem
4G (LTE) data rates of up to 100 Mbit/s with full backward compatibility to Dual-Carrier HSPA+
EV-DO Rev. A/Rev. B support
GPS functionality, including support for Assisted GPS

Interesting. I think it is very promising that people are saying it works for voice. I will be focusing on Data. Are there some settings other than WCDMA preferered that may help my chances here? Like I said, I don't need it because I'll have the Nexus S there but I'd love to test for everybody else. That said I want to make sure that when I insert my Verizon SIM on my return, the Verizon phone still works here in the USA.

Reactions: flyingtiger

flyingtiger

Sep 9, 2011
Visit site
Interesting. I think it is very promising that people are saying it works for voice. I will be focusing on Data. Are there some settings other than WCDMA preferered that may help my chances here? Like I said, I don't need it because I'll have the Nexus S there but I'd love to test for everybody else. That said I want to make sure that when I insert my Verizon SIM on my return, the Verizon phone still works here in the USA.

Not sure if this counts as a necro, but presumably WCDMA preferred would be the best option? I think the real problem is there's no clarity on what bands the GSM antenna (which doesn't even officially exist) can pull...850/1900? 900/1800? Presumably the WCDMA runs on 2100?

Actually dunno if you're ok with revealing what countries you're visiting/visited too? Really appreciate your taking the time to do some tests.

theRalph

Aug 27, 2010
Visit site
OK I'm back. I was in Aruba which is a dutch island with both 3G GSM and 3G CDMA EVDO. I tried an AT&T sim card and it did NOT work for WCDMA GSM data. The local (SETAR) SIM card worked for voice but I did not have a data plan on it. I will assume that it wouldn't work as the ATT sim that worked was on the SETAR or DIGICEL networks at all times.

My only curiosity is this. If we got an unlock code for the phone and unlocked the sim slot to accept any sim, would data work using GSM SIMS?

Is there a way to unlock a phone that is not officially GSM?

Does the phone really have international data capability?

Sorry that I really answered nothing for everybody.

Ralph

Reactions: TBolt

Simon_y7

Oct 1, 2011
Visit site
OK I'm back. I was in Aruba which is a dutch island with both 3G GSM and 3G CDMA EVDO. I tried an AT&T sim card and it did NOT work for WCDMA GSM data. The local (SETAR) SIM card worked for voice but I did not have a data plan on it. I will assume that it wouldn't work as the ATT sim that worked was on the SETAR or DIGICEL networks at all times.

My only curiosity is this. If we got an unlock code for the phone and unlocked the sim slot to accept any sim, would data work using GSM SIMS?

Is there a way to unlock a phone that is not officially GSM?

Does the phone really have international data capability?

Sorry that I really answered nothing for everybody.

Ralph

Well, you're the first who tried Rezound outside the US, so thank you. Did you try to send and receive texts while in Aruba? Can you clarify what you meant in your sentence above that I underlined?

amgalloway

Mar 28, 2011
Visit site
So if I stick in my cousin's AT&T LTE sim card (assuming the data problem is fixed) it would get LTE service from AT&T because they both use the same 700MHZ spectrum...? I wish i could try, but I live NOWHERE near an AT&T LTE area...

dpham00

Moderator Team VP
Apr 23, 2011
Visit site
So if I stick in my cousin's AT&T LTE sim card (assuming the data problem is fixed) it would get LTE service from AT&T because they both use the same 700MHZ spectrum...? I wish i could try, but I live NOWHERE near an AT&T LTE area...

They use different frequencies. Both in the 7xx mhz,but att uses lower,while Verizon uses upper.I think that there is an overlap,but it certainly isn't guaranteed to work,and they can block each others overlapping bands.

dpham00

Moderator Team VP
Apr 23, 2011
Visit site
Is one's phone book always accessible (visible) even if Rezound wouldn't work overseas to make/receive calls?

From what I have read, you should be able to make calls, some seemed to have problems with sms and data was very limited. But yes, you should always be able to see your phone book even with radios off or not able to find a connection.

Reactions: Simon_y7

dpham00

Moderator Team VP
Apr 23, 2011
Visit site
Yes, you won't be able to update contacts except on Wifi.

If it was Google contacts, then say updating on the computer would not automatically update on the phone without a Internet connection, but you should be able to update contacts on the sim or sd card without internet. If say the phone didn't have Internet but you had access to a computer with Internet, then you can manually export the Google contacts in vcard format, then plug in the rezound to the computer, copy the vcard to the sd card and import it into the contacts.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
tress