Page 1 of 5 1234 ... LastLast
Like Tree1Likes
  1. Thread Author  Thread Author    #1  

Global Posts
    335 Global Posts

Default Global Phone?

Is this a global phone? Can I use an international SIM card in it? There are some "global" mode options on the phone.

Default Re: Global Phone?

i dont believe this phone can work with a global sim card.
    Samsung Galaxy S4
    NOOK Color rooted & Acer Iconia A100 for my tabs YEAH!! Retired: HTC Rezound & Incredible

Quote Originally Posted by Cares View Post
    Is this a global phone? Can I use an international SIM card in it? There are some "global" mode options on the phone.
    What are these global options? Early on, HTC confirmed to me that Rezound wouldn't work on GSM networks.
  4. Thread Author  Thread Author    #4  

Global Posts
    335 Global Posts

Check out *#*#4636#*#* in the dialer. Phone information. Scroll down a bit.

Check out *#*#4636#*#* in the dialer. Phone information. Scroll down a bit.
    Do you mean "GSM: In service"? Hmm, maybe you're onto something.

It's a World phone it seems, it only get's better LOL. (Click the Link)
    not2gutta likes this.

Can anyone verify if this is true. I tried calling Verizon but could not get a lot of information. If I try calling tech support they will not give me any info since it comes up that my phone is iPhone 4s. This is true, but only got an iPhone after I was told by sales that the Rezound is not global. A global phone is very important for me. If this is true I will exchange my iPhone asap since I am not a big fan and I really liked the Rezound.

Call and explain your concerns to technical support, just state your contemplating adding an aditional line and the Rezound interest you.
    Last edited by condor637; 01-01-2012 at 09:01 PM.

Please post what you find out. At one point, before Rezound was made officially available, I came across one specs list that said that it was a world phone. Several later lists, otoh, under "World phone?" said NO. The day it was introduced in NYC, I emailed HTC TS to get a straight answer and was told that no, it wasn't a world phone, specifically, that it wouldn't work on any GSM networks. Now it appears that it wasn't a straight answer either. In the meantime, however, VZW doesn't list Rezound under their available world phones.

I found this place that claims to sim unlock the rezound. I haven't tried it though. http://www.htcimeiunlock.com/htc-rezound-unlock

Just got off the phone with Verizon Tech Support and was told the Rezound is not a global phone. I explained to them that an HTC tech told me that it is global ready and only need a sim card from Verizon. He said he is not aware of that and just reiterated that it is not a global phone. Unfortunately I can not exchange my iPhone 4s on a possibility. The Android phones that are global ready are really subpar.

Quote Originally Posted by teshub1965 View Post
    Just got off the phone with Verizon Tech Support and was told the Rezound is not a global phone. I explained to them that an HTC tech told me that it is global ready and only need a sim card from Verizon. He said he is not aware of that and just reiterated that it is not a global phone. Unfortunately I can not exchange my iPhone 4s on a possibility. The Android phones that are global ready are really subpar.
    I wonder if VZW Global Support would say something different, though. Also, maybe Verizon TS's no applies only to their SIMs, but SIMs can be purchased and rented from many other companies, both in the US and abroad.

Global Posts
    3,645 Global Posts
    ROM
    Latest OTA Official ROM

Quote Originally Posted by teshub1965 View Post
    The VZW tech was right and the HTC tech was wrong (as far as VZWs definition of "Global").

What the HTC tech might have been thinking (to give him the benefit of the doubt, which I doubt be deserves) is that the plan is, in a few more years, the world will be changing over to LTE. If the world was LTE the VZW LTE phones would be "Global". So... is it "Global Ready"? You tell me.

There is currently no LTE phone that is "Global" by Verizon's definition of "Global". And, remember, the term "Global Phone" is only a Verizon derived phrase. Not a standard of any kind.

-Frank
    [HTC Thunderbolt™ 4G/LTE!]
    It's not your dream phone. It's the one after that!©
    Look here for a [VZW Coverage Map] to check your area. Select 4G before hitting [Refresh]

Quote Originally Posted by FrankXS View Post
    The VZW tech was right and the HTC tech was wrong (as far as VZWs definition of "Global").

What the HTC tech might have been thinking (to give him the benefit of the doubt, which I doubt be deserves) is that the plan is, in a few more years, the world will be changing over to LTE. If the world was LTE the VZW LTE phones would be "Global". So... is it "Global Ready"? You tell me.

There is currently no LTE phone that is "Global" by Verizon's definition of "Global". And, remember, the term "Global Phone" is only a Verizon derived phrase. Not a standard of any kind.

-Frank
    I remember you said this before. But what does "GSM: In service" then mean in the phone specs?

Irrespective of how this specific "Resound global quest" ends, for such matters, one has to talk with VZW global people, not with the regular TS, and it's not always guaranteed. Upon Frank's earlier suggestion, before I got my Rezound, I called VZW and requested to unlock my BB so that I could take it overseas this Spring. I got a regular tech who absolutely assured me that my BB was already unlocked and I needed nothing else to do with it other than to insert a new SIM. The guy didn't even suggest for me to speak with Global Support. He didn't even seem to be aware of its existence, just said that he knew everything about the subject. Because it sounded a bit fishy, I called back a few days later, and was immediately forwarded to Global Support where I was given a whole set of instructions on how to unlock my BB. So, beware of who gives you the information.

Just got off the phone with someone from Verzion's Global Support Team and was told the Rezound is not a global phone and Verizon does not support it as such. I explained how an HTC Tech stated it is a global phone. His response was he can not speak for HTC, but as a Verizon representative it is not a global phone.
  17. Thread Author  Thread Author    #17  

Global Posts
    335 Global Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Simon_y7 View Post
    Do you mean "GSM: In service"? Hmm, maybe you're onto something.
    I just see options as...

WCDMA, GSM only, Global Mode, LTE Mode etc etc...
  18. Thread Author  Thread Author    #18  

Global Posts
    335 Global Posts

Looks like users on XDA are having success getting GSM service but not data. This is great news.

Looks like users on XDA are having success getting GSM service but not data. This is great news.
    Can you please refer me to the source of the above information? Thanks.

Can you please refer me to the source of the above information? Thanks.

Quote Originally Posted by condor637 View Post
    Thanks. I'm curious, say, it can be done successfully. Then what is the chance of not being able to revert Rezound back to CDMA and ruining it for use in the US on VZW? Any thoughts on this?

Tmo...
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Global Phone?-2012-01-04_20-03-59.jpg   Global Phone?-2012-01-04_20-10-42.jpg   Global Phone?-2012-01-04_20-11-09.jpg  
  23. Thread Author  Thread Author    #23  

Global Posts
    335 Global Posts

Thanks. I'm curious, say, it can be done successfully. Then what is the chance of not being able to revert Rezound back to CDMA and ruining it for use in the US on VZW? Any thoughts on this?
    Shouldn't have any risk. Just switch it back.

I was able to do this no problems. Just put the verizon 4GLTE sim back in, change it back to cdma mode and you are good to go.
    Thanked by:

Cool!! So what's the actual trick to unlock the phone? I also wonder if somebody may have a non-US SIM lying somewhere to stick it in and see what happens.

But, above all, it seems bizarre to me that VZW keeps denying this Rezound's capability. Why are they doing that? I just don't get it.
Page 1 of 5 1234 ... LastLast