Hot back... should I be concerned?

PaulQ

Jan 6, 2011
Visit site
My Rezound is in an awesome Body Glove hard case. It's a pretty tight fit. I finished a 15 minute Skype video call today and noticed the back of the case (phone) was noticeably warm - borderline hot.

Is this something to be worried about?

Thanks!

...Sent from my Tab

PaulQ

Jan 6, 2011
Visit site
Thanks. So is it the battery temp to keep track of? Is that a good indicator? And its 109F that is the pivot point?

...Sent from my Tab

dpham00

Moderator Team VP
Apr 23, 2011
Visit site
you can use battery monitor widget or similar app to log the temperature. I haven't really used skype on my Rezound, but on my thunderbolt, I saw temperatures near 130?F using skype over 4GLTE. Using wifi was noticeably cooler. 109? F isn't a big deal.

Bravozero

Drroooiiiiddddd
Jan 9, 2010
Visit site
Keep in mind that with the dual core processor, LTE chip, 720p display, and a small body... it's going to get a little warm. As long as you can't cook an egg on it, you should be fine. These devices should have a built-in temperature monitor that would shut the phone off or limit activities until it cools down.

ghess517

Jun 2, 2010
Visit site
My incredible would get to high temps with hard use. I've seen mine hit 112 easy. Just best to stop what doing and let it cool down.

dadsterflip

Feb 13, 2011
Visit site
yea this phone gets crazy hot. my wife has one and everytime she plays her games and all boy this gets super warm. its like a portable hand heater.
makes me wonder what the hardware life span on this phone is. heat is number one enemy for any electronic devices.

JeffDenver

Banned
May 3, 2010
Visit site
My Droid 1 was overclocked to 1ghz...over 100F was fairly normal. I didnt get worried until it was in the 140s. It only did that on hot days if I used it a lot.

PaulQ

Jan 6, 2011
Visit site
The battery monitor I installed can also monitor voltage. Is that a real concern?

...sent from my Rezound

dragonsamus

Jun 20, 2010
Visit site
Install an app and check on the temperature. If its under 140* F you're fine. I've seen mine go as high as 125* F with 100% brightness, Google navigation and a hot day. To prevent that now I have a vent mount and I turn on the A/C.

geminijeff

Jan 20, 2011
Visit site
There is a lot of great information here. I learned a lot myself. If your Rooted and worried about your temps, download set CPU from the market. It gives you the ability to set warnings for CPU and battery temps. Then it scales down the processor until your temps are back in line. I have
mine set for 120f with an audible alarm. Hope this helps. By the may I'm on an Evo 3D Rooted running steel ROM with a stock kernel.

Iceman0803

Jul 16, 2010
Visit site
you can use battery monitor widget or similar app to log the temperature. I haven't really used skype on my Rezound, but on my thunderbolt, I saw temperatures near 130?F using skype over 4GLTE. Using wifi was noticeably cooler. 109? F isn't a big deal.

+1 This happens on my GNex as well. Moderate to heavy 4G usage can really warm up the phone.

punman

Oct 15, 2010
Visit site
Quite a few people have reported issues, especially when charging, of their phones going into "Bacon Mode" (i.e. so hot you can fry bacon on it.) Some phones seem to heat up considerably more than others. Might be a manufacturing issue, because others don't do it at all, during the exact same activities. If you see a temp over 140, you'll want to take it back, because that's not normal.

I've personally never cracked 100 no matter what I'm doing. Playing a game, charging, and with music on, I hit 99.8. I wouldn't even go to the Dr for a fever for that. :)

tkong

Jul 31, 2011
Visit site
My Rezound is in an awesome Body Glove hard case. It's a pretty tight fit. I finished a 15 minute Skype video call today and noticed the back of the case (phone) was noticeably warm - borderline hot.

Is this something to be worried about?

Thanks!

...Sent from my Tab

My first Rezound would get hot then it started with the boot loop. I called CS and they told me to take it back for a swap. My current Rezound has no problems.

humpagardengnome

Oct 24, 2011
Visit site
My first Rezound would get hot then it started with the boot loop. I called CS and they told me to take it back for a swap. My current Rezound has no problems.

They all have zero problems, until they have a problem. This boot loop issue is going to be a threat til they patch the problem, which they haven't. I doubt that was the first, and last, encounter w/ the phenomenom. They had you return it cuz the issue hadn't been known. Most employees still have no clue why it was happenening. Thankfully, we have the people over @ xda-devs to assist us in our darkest hours.