Welcome to the Android Central Forums Create Your Account or Ask a Question Answers in 5 minutes - no registration required!
Results 1 to 22 of 22
Like Tree1Likes
  • 1 Post By Race Director
  1. #1  
    budmonster
    budmonster's Avatar
    Guest

    Question What are VZW advertised LTE speeds?

    Does anyone know what Verizon Wireless advertises there LTE speed at? What do they say the average user should get? I've always wondered about this, also curious about HSPA+.
  2. #2  
    Droid800's Avatar
    Banned

    Posts
    3,692 Posts
    Global Posts
    3,706 Global Posts
    ROM
    Stock

    Default Re: What are VZW advertised LTE speeds?

    Quote Originally Posted by budmonster View Post
    Does anyone know what Verizon Wireless advertises there LTE speed at? What do they say the average user should get? I've always wondered about this, also curious about HSPA+.
    5-12 mbps for LTE. No carrier that I know of in the US advertises speeds for their HSPA+.
  3. #3  
    blacksapphire08's Avatar

    Posts
    222 Posts
    ROM
    Speed Rom Jellybean

    Default Re: What are VZW advertised LTE speeds?

    I have heard of people getting 20Mbps or higher on Verizon's LTE but it's probably not the norm. I agree that 5-12Mbps is more likely.
  4. #4  

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Droid800 View Post
    5-12 mbps for LTE. No carrier that I know of in the US advertises speeds for their HSPA+.
    Correct, Verizon advertises 5-12 down, 2-5 up. I have seen 44mbps several times, many times in the 30s as well. I know others have seen higher. But on average, i think verizons estimate is conservative.
  5. #5  

    Default Re: What are VZW advertised LTE speeds?

    Wow, those are very conservative numbers. Verizon 4G LTE is smoking fast on my Rezound. I don't think I've ever seen a seen a test in the 20 Mbps range. I just ran a few tests this morning for ya and have attached the screen shots for your viewing pleasure.





    Here is the fastest speed I've seen

    Thanked by:
    skatergirl likes this.
  6. #6  

    Default Re: What are VZW advertised LTE speeds?

    yeah, it really depends on how close you are to a tower, and network usage at the time.
  7. #7  
    Joelist's Avatar

    Posts
    363 Posts
    Global Posts
    622 Global Posts

    Default Re: What are VZW advertised LTE speeds?

    I agree that Verizon LTE is way faster than 5-12 mbps. I typically get mid 20's and have seen it hit 40 more than once.
  8. #8  
    Droid800's Avatar
    Banned

    Posts
    3,692 Posts
    Global Posts
    3,706 Global Posts
    ROM
    Stock

    Default

    Also, verizon is advertising the speeds they expect when the network is fully loaded. Although there are quite a few LTE customers, there's not enough to weigh down the network at this point.

    Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using Tapatalk
  9. #9  

    Default

    I think it really depends on where you are. My tests in Denver and Colorado Springs average around 5. In Canton, OH I got 10; and in Vegas I saw 20-30+.

    Sent from my HTC Rezound.
  10. #10  
    budmonster
    budmonster's Avatar
    Guest

    Default Re: What are VZW advertised LTE speeds?

    I think the people seeing 20+ are the very few luck ones, I average around 5-11 d/l and 2-7 u/l. I'm in the suburbs so that could be the reason.
  11. #11  

    Default Re: What are VZW advertised LTE speeds?


    My speeds at my sisters house.but Verizon wireless is headquartered about 8 miles away,cannot get 4G at my town yet but yet a mile away in about mile radius i can get 4G
  12. #12  
    budmonster
    budmonster's Avatar
    Guest

    Default Re: What are VZW advertised LTE speeds?

    Does it matter what location you pick for a speed test? I'm in Pittsburgh and the 3 closest servers are Pittsburgh, State College and Columbus. I noticed I get the fastest speeds from Columbus? And with the Pittsburgh server I get the slowest? Don't understand that?
  13. #13  

    Default Re: What are VZW advertised LTE speeds?

    Are you able to set the rezound to automatically switch to wifi? I get 97mbps at home.
  14. #14  

    Default Re: What are VZW advertised LTE speeds?

    i get between 9-24mbs
    suck though when im home i dont have 4g and get there crappy 3g which is between .25-2.8 mbs
  15. #15  

    Default Re: What are VZW advertised LTE speeds?

    Quote Originally Posted by tarnak View Post
    Are you able to set the rezound to automatically switch to wifi? I get 97mbps at home.
    yes, you can. just set up wifi normally, and wifi will automatically turn off when you are out of range and switch to mobile data, then wifi will turn on automatically when you are in range again.
  16. #16  
    schatzy62's Avatar

    Posts
    9 Posts
    Global Posts
    98 Global Posts

    Default Re: What are VZW advertised LTE speeds?

    Quote Originally Posted by dpham00 View Post
    yes, you can. just set up wifi normally, and wifi will automatically turn off when you are out of range and switch to mobile data, then wifi will turn on automatically when you are in range again.
    How can I stop it from automatically trying to connect and turning off mobile data.

    I am constantly going in and out of buildings with wifi that is secured and it is shutting off mobile data and trying to connect. When this happens I turn off wifi and turn mobile data back on just for it to switch off again and try to reconnect to wifi. This also means that i can not get e-mails from my company when this happens which is very annoying to both the company and myself.

    So is there a way to make it stop auto switching?
  17. #17  

    Default Re: What are VZW advertised LTE speeds?

    Quote Originally Posted by schatzy62 View Post
    How can I stop it from automatically trying to connect and turning off mobile data.

    I am constantly going in and out of buildings with wifi that is secured and it is shutting off mobile data and trying to connect. When this happens I turn off wifi and turn mobile data back on just for it to switch off again and try to reconnect to wifi. This also means that i can not get e-mails from my company when this happens which is very annoying to both the company and myself.

    So is there a way to make it stop auto switching?


    Menu>settings>wireless and networks>wifi settings>Uncheck "Wi-Fi".

    Also, while in the Wi-Fi menu, hit the "Menu" capacitive button, select "Advanced"

    Make sure "Never auto turn on Wi-Fi" is checked.
  18. #18  
    skatergirl's Avatar
    Lovin' My Phone

    Posts
    1,344 Posts

    Default Re: What are VZW advertised LTE speeds?

    Quote Originally Posted by Race Director View Post
    Wow, those are very conservative numbers. Verizon 4G LTE is smoking fast on my Rezound. I don't think I've ever seen a seen a test in the 20 Mbps range. I just ran a few tests this morning for ya and have attached the screen shots for your viewing pleasure.

    Click to view quoted image


    Click to view quoted image


    Here is the fastest speed I've seen

    Click to view quoted image
    That is quite amazing. Where are you located? You must be very close to a tower?
  19. #19  

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by skaterdroid View Post
    That is quite amazing. Where are you located? You must be very close to a tower?
    He is near Springfield. Fastest i've seen in the LA area is near 50mbps
  20. #20  

    Default Re: What are VZW advertised LTE speeds?

    Damn Race Director... I ran speed test three times today and I am not getting those speeds.

    Speed Test: 8:19am
    9977kbps download
    599kbps upload

    Speed Test: 11:51am
    88ms ping
    9737kbps download
    1610kbps upload

    Speed Test: 1:44pm
    75ms ping
    9205kbps download
    1092kbps upload
  21. #21  

    Default

    As a truck driver i am in diff areas all the time. 4g in one will befaster than another. I think ithasa lot todo with how many people are using itat any given time.

    Sent from my Transformer Prime TF201 using Tapatalk
  22. #22  
    mithed's Avatar

    Posts
    30 Posts
    ROM
    ViperRez 1.0.3

    Default Re: What are VZW advertised LTE speeds?

    Here are the speedtests I ran from early this morning to this afternoon. I am consistently getting around 30 up and 10 down.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails What are VZW advertised LTE speeds?-2012-01-31_14-33-16.jpg  
    Moto Razr -> Blackberry Curve -> SAW THE LIGHT! -> Droid Incredible -> HTC Rezound -> Droid DNA

Posting Permissions