Is "bump charging" a good idea?

PaulQ

Jan 6, 2011
Visit site
With all the talk about battery life, is bump charging a good idea? Does it help? How often?

I understand bump charging to be letting the battery charge to green, unplugging it, plug it back in until it's green again. I don't know how many times you are supposed to do it.

...Sent from my Tab

FrankXS

Feb 27, 2011
Visit site
Bump charging can increase your battery charge from around 4.215 volts to 4.22 volts (exact numbers will vary battery to battery, phone to phone). Bottom line, if you bump it up to the highest number you'll probably get about 5-7 percent longer battery life under the same conditions, on that charge.

How often? Everytime you charge your phone.

Each time you unplug the charger and plug the charger back in, the "time to green" (or whatever indicator the Rezound shows for full charge) will get shorter. When it is very quick (less than a minute) you are "fully charged". May take about 5 or 6 times.

If you monitor this witth a Market app like Battery Indicator Pro, you will see the voltage get higher. Or, you can use the phone's built-in menu system to check battery voltage.It's all about starting your day with the highest voltage possible. I do it when it's conventient (i.e. I'm sitting at the charger anyway). But otherwise I don't.

-Frank

Last edited:

twolastnames

Nov 25, 2011
Visit site
I did the following to my batteries, just did it as this was the thing to do on my Desire.

Phone on, charge to green
Shut Phone off, charge to green
Phone back on, charge to green, use like normal.

Back then it was called calibrating your battery, or just letting your phone actually know where 100% of the battery was.

There are many different threads all over the net about this, from what I gathered, its stupid to do all the time, unless you wanna replace your battery all the time. Reason? All that heat is bad for Lithium batteries, and this is also the reason HTC purposely only charges to about 94%.

Dovahkiin

One Man Wolfpack
Nov 17, 2011
Visit site
Don't do this unless you have money to blow on spare batteries. This ends up decreasing the battery's overall ability to hold a charge, leading to less and less voltage being stored, which means less time the battery can power the phone.

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Chelsea rae