Rezound vs. Razr Maxx?

rootbrain

Oct 13, 2011
Visit site
Last day to decide if I want to keep my HTC Rezound or trade up to a Droid Razr Maxx. My opinion? Motorolla wants to Sell the Razrs extended battery, and charge customers $100 more, to make more profit. My HTC Rezound Maxx only cost $230. My Rezound will talk and surf the web at the same time using a 3G connection. My Rezound will take a wide camera shot with 25% more picture. My Rezound will display natural whites and colors. My Rezound will automaticaly update all my mp3's album art. My Rezound can screen capture a text message, directions, a sale, a funny Facebook picture, just by holding power and pressing home. My Rezound plays true 720p HD Video and great sound. My Rezound "Maxx" only cost me $30 for a 2750mah battery that last all day and all night. So someone please tell me why I would take my Rezound back and buy this.

So you can get a thinner phone? (tongue in cheek)

webostoandroid82

Aug 2, 2011
Visit site
My comment was made not because you mentioned that it's thicker, because of course it is. It was because your comment in the previous post said "To me a phone that size in 2011-2012 is kinda lame."

To say that the Rezound is lame because it isn't the same thinness as a Razr is like saying the Razr is lame because it isn't as thin as a credit card. It could be, with todays technology, but it isn't lame just because it's not.

Some day we'll all be using Dick Tracy wrist "radios" with video. But like the watches of today, they will be different sizes and styles from entry level to top of the line. Do you think some will be lame?

Let's move past my choice of words here and I'll explain. It is obvious that consumers want thinner and lighter phones. The market has responded in kind, the Razr being a prime example. Look at the Nexus. Look at the LG Prada. Look at almost every current and next gen android phone out. Another thing is that the technology exists to make phones with larger capacity batteries that add little to no width to the phone. The Razr Maxx is a prime example. The Nexus has extended batteries which use the standard battery door. Anker has made extended batteries for other phones which use the standard battery door. So for a current gen smartphone that comes out in q4 2011 to be somewhat thick, or thicker in comparison is disappointing. Also the size of the stock battery of the Rezound isn't even big enough to support it being that size . Now the size of the phone could be due to the Beats tech being in the phone, I don't know.

I feel like a jerk for arguing for the Maxx in the Rezound forum but I'm interested in what current Rezound owners think with this other new phone out. Again I feel that the Rezound is the superior phone, but the Maxx makes for an interesting compare and contrast. I think the Rezound + extended battery is superior to the original Razr, but the Razr with a bigger battery???

georgekn3mp

Nov 16, 2011
Visit site
Ahh but 720x1280 vs. 540x960...gotta have true LCD HD hehe.

My mom and cousin both just got RAZR's around launch date, and they are the ones I feel sorry for...didn't know to wait an extra month to get a MAXX if they were going to get a Moto anyway...
Or a Droid4.

But then when quad-core HTC ships maybe then I will be the one jealous lol.

MA2GA28

Jun 8, 2010
Visit site
I am in this group too. The closer I get to my upgrade (maybe this weekend...we'll see), the more I think about which to get.

As I said in another topic, I am 95% sure I'm getting the Rezound, as its a better all-around phone than the MAXX, IMO. BUT, the battery life is weighing on me. I have no desire to get the extended battery, adding to the thickness of the phone, so I'd have to roll with the stock battery until HTC releases an extended battery that doesn't add thickness.

This harkens back to the release of the Tbolt, where everyone was singing its praises...until it was discovered that the battery life was completely awful. Then, it became the 'wasted' upgrade for many, and the forgotten child of the Verizon line-up, even though it was one of the best performers to date in the Verizon line-up.

The DInc had a similar issue with not-great BL, but I've always gotten better-than-average battery life with mine (was in Vegas for the weekend, with moderate+ usage with NO WIFI and I got a good 11 hours out of the battery on a daily basis (and that was just down to the 15% range). I am on Wifi at home all day mostly (work from home), and I can easily get 23-28 hours with the stock battery, with moderate usage (FB, texts, a few 5 min calls, Foursquare, etc). If I could match that with the Rezound, I'd be quite pleased.

My worry is that the Rezound's BL issues seem to be more prominent, with many saying with stock battery and moderate use they're only getting about 7 hours per day off Wifi and about 15 hours on Wifi most of the time. Having to charge my phone more than once per day is not ideal.

So do I bite on the Rezound, hoping I can again get better-than-average BL again, or that HTC will release a same-size extended battery? Or do I head into personally uncharted Droid territory for a good (but not AS good) phone with a better battery? :confused: :confused: :confused:

dpham00

Moderator Team VP
Apr 23, 2011
Visit site
Last day to decide if I want to keep my HTC Rezound or trade up to a Droid Razr Maxx. My opinion? Motorolla wants to Sell the Razrs extended battery, and charge customers $100 more, to make more profit. My HTC Rezound Maxx only cost $230. My Rezound will talk and surf the web at the same time using a 3G connection. My Rezound will take a wide camera shot with 25% more picture. My Rezound will display natural whites and colors. My Rezound will automaticaly update all my mp3's album art. My Rezound can screen capture a text message, directions, a sale, a funny Facebook picture, just by holding power and pressing home. My Rezound plays true 720p HD Video and great sound. My Rezound "Maxx" only cost me $30 for a 2750mah battery that last all day and all night. So someone please tell me why I would take my Rezound back and buy this.

I am pretty happy paying $50 on upgrade for the rezound and $30 for the battery. The rezound is a good fit for me.

eshropshire

Oct 17, 2011
Visit site
Have to agree here. Discounting all the other arguments for/against either phone, I just liked the way the Rezound felt when I picked it up, as opposed to the Razr OR the Bionic. Both felt a bit, umm, uncomfortable. Guess that's the only way to explain. Then getting into things like replaceable battery, beats audio etc. etc. the Rezound then became the choice for me.

This is one of the key things that initially sold me on the Rezound. I had planned to buy a Razr, but after trying it several times I just did not like the way it felt. Feel is a personal preference so YMMV. This is one of the reasons I did not care for the GSII on AT&T, just too thin. After trying the Rezound a few times I really like the way it felt. Now having the phone for almost two months I am very happy with my choice.

Premium1

Trusted Member
Nov 7, 2011
Visit site
I am in this group too. The closer I get to my upgrade (maybe this weekend...we'll see), the more I think about which to get.

As I said in another topic, I am 95% sure I'm getting the Rezound, as its a better all-around phone than the MAXX, IMO. BUT, the battery life is weighing on me. I have no desire to get the extended battery, adding to the thickness of the phone, so I'd have to roll with the stock battery until HTC releases an extended battery that doesn't add thickness.

This harkens back to the release of the Tbolt, where everyone was singing its praises...until it was discovered that the battery life was completely awful. Then, it became the 'wasted' upgrade for many, and the forgotten child of the Verizon line-up, even though it was one of the best performers to date in the Verizon line-up.

The DInc had a similar issue with not-great BL, but I've always gotten better-than-average battery life with mine (was in Vegas for the weekend, with moderate+ usage with NO WIFI and I got a good 11 hours out of the battery on a daily basis (and that was just down to the 15% range). I am on Wifi at home all day mostly (work from home), and I can easily get 23-28 hours with the stock battery, with moderate usage (FB, texts, a few 5 min calls, Foursquare, etc). If I could match that with the Rezound, I'd be quite pleased.

My worry is that the Rezound's BL issues seem to be more prominent, with many saying with stock battery and moderate use they're only getting about 7 hours per day off Wifi and about 15 hours on Wifi most of the time. Having to charge my phone more than once per day is not ideal.

So do I bite on the Rezound, hoping I can again get better-than-average BL again, or that HTC will release a same-size extended battery? Or do I head into personally uncharted Droid territory for a good (but not AS good) phone with a better battery? :confused: :confused: :confused:
Only difference is the thunderbolt battery issue was known from day one and was part of the reason for the delays. Not to mention it was getting like 3 hours battery life on 4g. Rezound seems to be a lot better in the battery department while using a smaller battery than some of the other phones.

Elladan71

Jan 28, 2012
Visit site
I've spent probably around 30 or 36 hours watching video reviews and reading forum posts, reviews, and spec sheets regarding the RAZR, RAZR Maxx, Rezound, and Galaxy Nexus over the last two weeks, and spent some time in a store playing with all four last night. (Well, in truth, the RAZR got about ten seconds of attention. It feels all wrong in my hand; as other than the battery, the two phones are identical, you can read RAZR Maxx when I write RAZR henceforth) I respect the Rezound love expressed in this post -- it's a great phone, and I can't make my mind up -- but I really don't think it's as simple as the folks who are saying that the Rezound is a superior phone with an inferior battery are saying.

ICS on the Galaxy Nexus was cool, but not a selling point, given that all the rest will be getting the OS soon enough. The real problem with the GN for me is the radio. Tests indicate that the GN has a much harder time finding and holding a signal, which had a negative effect on battery life, in addition to the obvious fury induced by dropped calls & connections. Although I travel into 4G areas weekly, I live in the Outer Banks of NC (we get 4G in March), and the local (non-corporate) Verizon store has had EVERY SINGLE Galaxy Nexus that they've sold returned for this very reason. So that one's out, and I'm going to ignore it from now on. The same review stated that the RAZR received signal more strongly than the Rezound (note, this was based only on "bars" displayed), though there were no apparent effects on data rates or call quality.

I'd have to give Rezound lovers the screen. The Rezound's 720p resolution, for me, trumps the S-AMOLED brightness of the RAZR/RAZR Maxx. That said, I don't think that would be the case for most people. One reviewer said that if you pulled both phones out in a dark room, it would be the RAZR that drew the crowd, and I suspect that's true. Most people seem to respond to those vivid colors; I don't so much, and that's why I was sticking with JVC projection TVs when everyone was buying LCDs. The screens are the same size, at 4.3"; this is interesting to me, because the footprint of the RAZR gives the impression of a bigger screen. This is of course due to the larger bezel, which is among the RAZR's biggest flaws for me.

The sound...well, I believe the Rezound uses a Wolfson (i.e., first-class) opamp for sound reproduction, and I can't find any indication anywhere of what kind of op-amp the RAZR uses. Edge to Rezound. Beats, however, should be ignored. All it is is an EQ profile, which you could reproduce with any app providing a 10-band EQ. And it CERTAINLY doesn't reflect "the way your music was meant to be heard," as Dre would have you believe. The headphones are certainly a nice perk, but are enormously overpriced at retail; you can get superior ones for $40-50 (I'm a headphone hobbyist, and Beats, particularly these iBeats, are generally not loved in the hobby. I have myself have three sets that are superior.). I actually preferred the RAZR's music app to the Rezound's from an interface standpoint. Also, the RAZR has integrated streaming of music from your home PC (or the cloud, presumably), and does not require a 3rd-party app for the purpose.

The Rezound's lack of an HDMI port is kind of a big deal; I carry enough damn adapters and dongles with me, and the previously noted issue with charging while it's connected needs no further discussion.

The RAZR's Webtop capability is awesome; an earlier commenter noted how awesome that feature is for a business traveler, and I wholeheartedly agree. This may well be the single feature (other than battery life) that's most militating toward the RAZR Maxx for me. Additionally, the RAZR features DLNA streaming; I could potentially stream HD Netflix to my Viera-capable plasma TV at home, without even plugging the phone in...how cool is that?! (I'm not sure streaming Netflix would work, of course, but I love the idea!)

The Rezound has Bluetooth 3.0, while the RAZR is stuck on 2.1. I'm not sure that really matters, especially as the Rezound does not support HID (i.e., mouse) profiles.

The RAZR has integrated "government-grade" security and an integrated Citrix receiver. These are potentially big deals for a road warrior; though in my case, my company wouldn't support it, no matter how much it would help them. The same integrated app that streams music to the RAZR also lets you access your home or office PC remotely. These capabilities are not even approached by the Rezound.

Generally speaking, the Rezound's camera is preferred by reviewers, but this is by no means a universal preference. In the admittedly limited environment of the Verizon store, I slightly preferred the pictures the RAZR took. Also, the slow-mo 1080p video capability is something the RAZR can't match right now. The front cam is also somewhat better on the Rezound.

With its water-repellent finish, Kevlar back and Gorilla-glass screen, I suspect the RAZR will prove more durable.

Most tech people I talk to say the 1.2 gHz TI OMAPS4 processor in the RAZR is superior (and faster) to the 1.5 gHz Snapdragon in the Rezound. In playing with the phones, I noted a very, very slight choppiness in changing between homescreens on the Rezound, but none on the RAZR.

The non-replaceable battery of the RAZR, of course, is a big handicap. However, in the case of the MAXX, it nearly doubles the capacity of the Rezound. For some, that will be a wash. But the RAZR Maxx gets my vote, since its battery will at least last much longer (particularly with the Smart Actions set properly; I checked the app out, and it's enormously flexible and cool.)

Both phones lack NFS, which is disappointing.

My current phone is an Incredible; which I've loved, but it's definitely aging. I've reached the point where I get the low memory warning every two weeks or so. I clear out my cached data, delete text threads, and find another app to delete each time, but the problem is never solved, and the thought of a factory reset after all the tweaking I've done makes my stomach churn. It's time for an upgrade! I've enjoyed Sense a great deal; the rest of my family have Samsungs, and they always seem to have more trouble finding what they want on their phones than I do. That said, I didn't mind Moto's new non-Blur overlay at all. In some small ways, I preferred it to Sense. One example: on the All Apps list, Sense has one giant screen that you scroll vertically through; non-Blur has several screens that you flip through horizontally. I found it to require less thumb motion to get down to YouTube at the end of the list, and the set position of app icons allows for easier mnemonics when it comes to locating an app.

As I said before, the RAZR's form is thin and pretty, but felt entirely wrong in my hand; it was all edges. The Rezound, by contrast felt great in the hand, although it was a bit too heavy. The weight will be more of an issue for me when the phone is in my pocket, particularly in the summer, when I'm wearing shorts rather than jeans or slacks. The Rezound's thickness is a looks-and-pocket-bulge issue only. The RAZR Maxx split the difference, for me: it felt quite good in the hand, and was just the right weight.

And for my money, the Rezound just doesn't look special enough. Both the RAZRs look sexy, and shallow as it may be to consider, will be getting second glances in airports and offices for a few months to come, while the Rezound just looks like a phone. It has a few nice touches -- the red grille and soft buttons and possibly the dark chrome-look bezel -- but they don't really come together to provide any particular look to me. My consistent reaction to it is, "meh." And I suspect that this is the biggest reason that the Rezound tends to lose out in most comparisons to the Galaxy Nexus and RAZR.

Then there's price: today, I've seen the RAZR Maxx for $229 with 2-year renewal, while the Rezound (which apparently is not selling well) is as low as $99. My head tells me to go with the Rezound, as I think it's a better bargain, even giving its missing capabilities. And those earphones would make a great present for my nephew. But lust is pushing me toward the RAZR Maxx, and the battery is reinforcing that with a bit of practicality.

idiotekniques

Nov 24, 2011
Visit site
i dont like the rezound with the extended battery. too thick and the case options suck.

but i am near a charger very often during the workweek, and i always have a spare stock battery in my wallet so if i do run out on a weekend and end up out for longer than suspected, i have plan B. but if that was going to be often the case i'd have to regretfully look at another phone.

happened once when i needed plan B. wasn't charging my phone that much all day, gf called to go meet in the city, ended up at a bar with her work crew and no charger and my phone died. but i had 100% battery in my wallet :)

Elladan71

Jan 28, 2012
Visit site
Additionally, the RAZR features DLNA streaming; I could potentially stream HD Netflix to my Viera-capable plasma TV at home, without even plugging the phone in...how cool is that?! (I'm not sure streaming Netflix would work, of course, but I love the idea!)

I should note that one reviewer stated that the Rezound supported DLNA, but the feature is not listed on the phone's page at verizonwireless.com.

dietsoda

Dec 26, 2011
Visit site
Battery life issue is overblown on the Rezound. Just get the extended battery and use it for times when you really need it, then switch back to the regular battery if the bulk matters that much to you. It's nice that we have a factory OEM solution for a true extended battery instead of relying on 3rd parties which generally provide poor quality cells that die quickly.

MA2GA28

Jun 8, 2010
Visit site
Battery life issue is overblown on the Rezound. Just get the extended battery and use it for times when you really need it, then switch back to the regular battery if the bulk matters that much to you. It's nice that we have a factory OEM solution for a true extended battery instead of relying on 3rd parties which generally provide poor quality cells that die quickly.

There's no evidence in the 3rd parties statement. But, if people, like myself, don't want the bulk, what good does it do to basically tell us to 'suck it up' and just use the extended battery?

I'd say the battery life has me really considering the RAZR MAXX, even though, at this point, I'd pay quite a bit more for the MAXX ($70 on Amazon). But, battery life has always been important to me with a cell phone. Like some people have said, what good is a mobile phone if I have to constantly worry about carrying a charger to plug it in when I get a chance? I keep my phone in my pocket, and don't want the bulk of the extended battery adding to an already not-slim phone (considering I'll also be adding a case as well).

Do I like the Rezound more than the MAXX? Yes, as I think the Rezound is a better phone with better perks. But is the battery like enough to make me reconsider? That's what I'm debating.

dietsoda

Dec 26, 2011
Visit site
There's no evidence in the 3rd parties statement. But, if people, like myself, don't want the bulk, what good does it do to basically tell us to 'suck it up' and just use the extended battery?

I'd say the battery life has me really considering the RAZR MAXX, even though, at this point, I'd pay quite a bit more for the MAXX ($70 on Amazon). But, battery life has always been important to me with a cell phone. Like some people have said, what good is a mobile phone if I have to constantly worry about carrying a charger to plug it in when I get a chance? I keep my phone in my pocket, and don't want the bulk of the extended battery adding to an already not-slim phone (considering I'll also be adding a case as well).

Do I like the Rezound more than the MAXX? Yes, as I think the Rezound is a better phone with better perks. But is the battery like enough to make me reconsider? That's what I'm debating.

You seem to be splitting hairs over battery life on stock 4G smartphones. There is no signficant difference in this regard when running identical application scenarios.

4G is simply a battery drainer on any smartphone. As is 3G, when compared to 2G. You simply have a large screen that is like a flashlight.

If battery life is that important, go back to a dumb flip phone and get 2 weeks of true standby and be the smallest device to fit in your pocket to boot. Many have, and they are happy. No more worries about battery life. You might fit that profile based on your statements.

idiotekniques

Nov 24, 2011
Visit site
You seem to be splitting hairs over battery life on stock 4G smartphones. There is no signficant difference in this regard when running identical application scenarios.

4G is simply a battery drainer on any smartphone. As is 3G, when compared to 2G. You simply have a large screen that is like a flashlight.

If battery life is that important, go back to a dumb flip phone and get 2 weeks of true standby and be the smallest device to fit in your pocket to boot. Many have, and they are happy. No more worries about battery life. You might fit that profile based on your statements.

your entire post is ridiculous

Reactions: MA2GA28

jimbl

Aug 2, 2010
Visit site
And for my money, the Rezound just doesn't look special enough. Both the RAZRs look sexy, and shallow as it may be to consider, will be getting second glances in airports and offices for a few months to come, while the Rezound just looks like a phone. It has a few nice touches -- the red grille and soft buttons and possibly the dark chrome-look bezel -- but they don't really come together to provide any particular look to me. My consistent reaction to it is, "meh." And I suspect that this is the biggest reason that the Rezound tends to lose out in most comparisons to the Galaxy Nexus and RAZR.

So basically you have to decide, form or function? I had the GN, and now couldn't be happier with the Rezound. The GN signal issues were apparent with mine (not everyone has issue, but a lot do), the camera left a lot to be desired,and live wallpapers made it lag. None an issue with my Rezound, plus the screen is noticeably more vibrant and crisp. I did not like the way the Razr felt in my hand, but did not own it so can't give you an educated opinion on it. Just my thoughts.

Elladan71

Jan 28, 2012
Visit site
To put idiotekniques' reply more nicely, neither battery life nor bulk is an unreasonable concern, and you shouldn't treat them as though they were.

Last edited:

Elladan71

Jan 28, 2012
Visit site
So basically you have to decide, form or function?

I wouldn't put it that way, Jimi. In some areas -- OS responsiveness, security, and connectability, for example -- I think the RAZR outperforms the Rezound. And conversely, some folks might actually prefer the form on the Rezound. I have small hands, and I think the Rezound is slightly easier to use, although the added thickness of the Maxx makes it (oddly) an improvement over the RAZR to me.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
scout13fox