Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
Like Tree10Likes
  1. Thread Author  Thread Author    #1  

Default Rezound vs. Razr Maxx?

I've got the original Incredible & love it, really like Sense over Motorola's UI. The only thing that has me thinking about the Maxx is the battery life. I use my Incredible a LOT (mostly email, texting, camera, web, a few games) and had to get the big battery to get a full day out of it. It's bulky but I don't mind. (and yes, I've turned off most of the battery sucking things and turned down the brightness.) Maybe the Rezound with a bigger battery is the way to go?

Any thoughts? Thanks much!!
    Thanked by:

Default Re: Rezound vs. Razr Maxx?

This is my dilemma too. I had the Eris, Incredible, Thunderbolt, Incredible 2, and now I am trying to decide between the Rezound and the Maxx. My wife has a Rhyme. So obviously HTC has been my thing. I love HTC sense but after doing a whole lot of reading, I am leaning towards the Maxx.

I am really interested in the webtop implementation so when I travel for work, I don't have to bring a laptop. Just a bluetooth travel mouse and mini keyboard and I have my own PC on a giant flatscreen. The Rezound won't even let you use a mouse. The Rezounds HDMI via MHL is a minus too -- the charging spec for MHL is only 500ma out, which means your phone may not charge (or even still lose charge) if you're streaming on 4G. The Razr has a dedicated HDMI and a microUSB for charging, so you can feed it with 1000ma or more.

I also like the size of the Maxx battery and the smart actions available. I feel I could really tweak them to get the most out of the battery. I still wish it was removable though. There's nothing like popping in a fresh one from the spare battery charger. The smart actions might also be cool for many other uses -- like starting my workout -- plug in the headphones and the music starts and the tracking software starts, for example. There are lots of possibilities.

I am not thrilled about the size of either one. The rezound is prettier but a little thick. The Razr is nice and thin but a little wide. (sounds like I'm talking about old girfriends!) Both phones have great build quality. I like the water resistance of the razr as this has been a problem for me while working out. Killed my Inc2 that way. Took a short phonecall after running and that was it. That device was unacceptably fragile with moisture!

The Razr does Netflix in HD, and also mirrors in HD. I can't stand how HTC won't let you do 5 rows of icons on the homescreens. I think this may change in ICS, or it won't matter because you'll have the shortcuts at the bottom.

Couldn't care less about Beats. Camera on Rezound is much better than the Razr. That's definitely a minus for me. Wish they both had FM. I use it all the time, like at the gym where I don't get data sufficient to stream music.

And then there's the screen. I generally prefer the brightness of LCD but I also like the saturated look of AMOLED, and resolution-wise, the Rezound kicks ****. The Razr is not as bright as the Rezound, but part of that is also because it uses a lot of light gray backdrops for apps. I prefer white, although battery-wise, you're better off with the gray.

The rezound has a prettier interface with sense. It's just so polished. I haven't seen a better overlay.

So there's some of my rambling thoughts. I'm still trying to decide but like I said, leaning towards the Maxx. I can't wait to see some real life battery tests. If we're talking a solid day (6am until midnight) with moderate use, maybe even heavy at times, I am sold sold sold. I had a thunderbolt for two weeks before it went back. 4G was great but my phone literally dropped 15% battery by the time I got to work (30 min drive) and was dead by noon. A mobile device loses its luster when it's tethered to power all the time.

What are your thoughts? You should also post your question in the Razr forum so you get equally biased responses.
    Thanked by 5:
    MA2GA28 and webostoandroid82 like this.

ROM
    To embarrassed to say

There are plenty of comparisons on the razr and rezound. The maxx only has a pretty big battery, while keeping thin. This alone is the only thing that makes the maxx worth thinking about. My wife has a razr, it's good, but no rezound. You also really can't worry about any software comparisons, as you can find a way to do whatever you want on either phone.

Global Posts
    1,288 Global Posts
    ROM
    CleanROM 4.5 Pro

I think one thing to keep in mind is that the Rezound is unlockable and rootable. I think this is not true with Motorola. Rezound gets my vote. I already have an early build of ICS with Sense or Senseless and both perform very well. ICS with Sense seems more finished though. IMO
    Yesterday is but a dream, Tomorrow is but a vision, but Today well lived makes every Yesterday a dream of happiness and every Tomorrow a vision of hope.

Global Posts
    2,073 Global Posts
    ROM
    Stock

" The Rezounds HDMI via MHL is a minus too -- the charging spec for MHL is only 500ma out, "
    The Rezound charger is 1000ma.

"The Rezound charger is 1000ma."

Right, but when using an MHL adapter, the phone will only get 500 ma. That's the MHL spec, unfortunately. You need a dedicated charging point to get around that, which was my point regarding the Razr.

Quote Originally Posted by ricebw View Post
    "The Rezound charger is 1000ma."

Right, but when using an MHL adapter, the phone will only get 500 ma. That's the MHL spec, unfortunately. You need a dedicated charging point to get around that, which was my point regarding the Razr.
    I agree that a dedicated charging port is preferred. I have an extended battery with 2 spare extended batteries , so this isn't much of an issue for me, but I can see how this may be a con for some people, especially if you only have one standard battery.

Does the Maxx have a replaceable battery? That's what killed the non-Maxx Razr for me. I wanted to be able to swap batteries if needed and be able to replace the battery on my own when the original battery dies.

I still took a look at the Razr when I went shopping for phones. I almost laughed out loud when I saw the display. It looked terrible to me.

Sure the Rezound is thicker, but from most owner opinions I've read, that's a good thing...a very good thing. I've read several posts from Razr owners who say the phone is uncomfortable to hold while Rezound owners say just the opposite. I'm in the camp who prefers the feel of the Rezound with the extended battery. I do wish it was lighter, but I do love the feel.

Quote Originally Posted by Egnix View Post
    Does the Maxx have a replaceable battery? That's what killed the non-Maxx Razr for me. I wanted to be able to swap batteries if needed and be able to replace the battery on my own when the original battery dies.

I still took a look at the Razr when I went shopping for phones. I almost laughed out loud when I saw the display. It looked terrible to me.

Sure the Rezound is thicker, but from most owner opinions I've read, that's a good thing...a very good thing. I've read several posts from Razr owners who say the phone is uncomfortable to hold while Rezound owners say just the opposite. I'm in the camp who prefers the feel of the Rezound with the extended battery. I do wish it was lighter, but I do love the feel.
    most likely no replaceable battery.

Most of the points have already been brought up, but to add:

Also, the Rezound has a HD display. The Maxx has a qHD display. I saw the display of the Droid Bionic, which is similar to the Razr, but I prefer the Rezound display. Though, the Bionic has a more vibrant display, it was more saturated.

The Maxx is 9mm, but that probably doesn't include the head, like the Droid Razr was 7mm with a 11mm head. Of course, the Rezound is 13.7mm, so it is thicker.

The Rezound has voice and data simultaneously over 3G, the Maxx does not.

The Rezound is 6oz for standard battery. The Maxx is 5.1 oz.

Global Posts
    739 Global Posts
    ROM
    Droid Inc JB 4.1.1

I have the Rezound with extended battery. No doubt it adds a good bit of bulk. I actually find it easier to handle now, and I holster it so the pocket bulk isn't an issue.

Now the battery life numbers (all numbers with brightness at about 35-40% and on WiFi about 85% of the time).

If I'm busy at work, and don't use the phone much in that 9 hour period, I've seen 28-32+ hours of life. I'd consider this a little less than moderate use.

If I'm doing a lot of waiting at work (old computers are slow), and I'm picking the phone up a lot to surf, twitter, FB, play a game, browse the market, etc - I'd say 22-28 hours is about right. I'd consider this a little more than moderate use.

Now, on the weekend, when I can pick up the phone just about any time I want, I'd say 18-22 hours is about right. Now I'm doing everything on the phone, including taking loads of photos of my 22 month old son, maybe the occasional video, sharing them out, etc. I'd consider this heavy use.

That should give you some base numbers for the extended battery. Hope it helps.
    "I thought I wanted a career. Turns out I just wanted paychecks."
    Copy Referral Link. - Start with 15GB of space. You and I get 5GB extra! No limits!
    Dropbox Referral Link. - We both get 500MB extra.
    Oneshortsleeve likes this.

No the battery is not replaceable.

I am really on the fence on this one as well.

I have rooted OG Droid that I bought after HP went belly up and forgot it made the Pre. Have been very impressed with the build quality of such an old phone. It made me like Moto phones. I am due for an upgrade and I am now facing the big 4 from VZW ( Rezound, Razr, Nexus, Spectrum --> FYI I feel this equates to being a '" rich man's problem" at the end of the day ie "which supercar do I drive today?"

I won't get into the pros and cons of each phone after this has been covered extensively in the forums and mass media. After adding up personal preference, forum surfing and playing with phones in store to me the Rezound was the clear winner. The only drawback I could see was the battery life which could be fixed with an extended battery at the expense of some added bulk which seems like other owners don't mind and even prefer. I was about to pull the trigger and than the Razr Maxx is announced......So here is where I am now:

Razr Maxx Pros....
    - assumed amazing battery life - a 3300 maH battery + Smart Actions has the potential to be amazing --> my job doesn't give me the option to have a wall charger nearby, and carrying extra batteries or a pocket charger to me is sub-optimal. Plus I would like my phone to become my one and only multimedia device. This phone plus a decent headset and a 32 gb SD card.........
    - solid build quality
    - THIN
    - minimalist UI
    - webtop compatibility to create a poor man's tablet/netbook for travel with some added expense
    - decent screen ( at least better than the OG Droid)
    - decent specs
    - option to root phone

The Rezound trumps the Razr in my opinion in specs, screen quality, camera and I like Sense. Beats Audio is gimmicky but hey for free I'll take it. Plus it's unlockable and rootable... But the phone is thick and the extended battery only makes it thicker. To me a phone that size in 2011-2012 is kinda lame. A decent audio program with an equalizer is a substitute for Beats. The screen issue I can deal with as well as the camera. Essentially the question is will I buy a phone I believe to be slightly inferior and in order to get better battery life. Right now the answer is yes.. Willl probably buy the Maxx, see if I like it, and return it if I don't, knowing the chubby Rezound + extended battery combo is waiting for me.

Have to agree here. Discounting all the other arguments for/against either phone, I just liked the way the Rezound felt when I picked it up, as opposed to the Razr OR the Bionic. Both felt a bit, umm, uncomfortable. Guess that's the only way to explain. Then getting into things like replaceable battery, beats audio etc. etc. the Rezound then became the choice for me.

Quote Originally Posted by webostoandroid82 View Post
    I am really on the fence on this one as well.

I have rooted OG Droid that I bought after HP went belly up and forgot it made the Pre. Have been very impressed with the build quality of such an old phone. It made me like Moto phones. I am due for an upgrade and I am now facing the big 4 from VZW ( Rezound, Razr, Nexus, Spectrum --> FYI I feel this equates to being a '" rich man's problem" at the end of the day ie "which supercar do I drive today?"

I won't get into the pros and cons of each phone after this has been covered extensively in the forums and mass media. After adding up personal preference, forum surfing and playing with phones in store to me the Rezound was the clear winner. The only drawback I could see was the battery life which could be fixed with an extended battery at the expense of some added bulk which seems like other owners don't mind and even prefer. I was about to pull the trigger and than the Razr Maxx is announced......So here is where I am now:

Razr Maxx Pros....
    - assumed amazing battery life - a 3300 maH battery + Smart Actions has the potential to be amazing --> my job doesn't give me the option to have a wall charger nearby, and carrying extra batteries or a pocket charger to me is sub-optimal. Plus I would like my phone to become my one and only multimedia device. This phone plus a decent headset and a 32 gb SD card.........
    - solid build quality
    - THIN
    - minimalist UI
    - webtop compatibility to create a poor man's tablet/netbook for travel with some added expense
    - decent screen ( at least better than the OG Droid)
    - decent specs
    - option to root phone

The Rezound trumps the Razr in my opinion in specs, screen quality, camera and I like Sense. Beats Audio is gimmicky but hey for free I'll take it. Plus it's unlockable and rootable... But the phone is thick and the extended battery only makes it thicker. To me a phone that size in 2011-2012 is kinda lame. A decent audio program with an equalizer is a substitute for Beats. The screen issue I can deal with as well as the camera. Essentially the question is will I buy a phone I believe to be slightly inferior and in order to get better battery life. Right now the answer is yes.. Willl probably buy the Maxx, see if I like it, and return it if I don't, knowing the chubby Rezound + extended battery combo is waiting for me.
    You MUST be kidding. We're talking what a few millimeters? Sheesh, dude from those comments you'd think this thing was a 1992 Nokia or sumptin, LOL. I honestly think the Razr and some others are TOO THIN. Felt like if I put them in a back pocket and forgot, they would snap in half if I sat down. Still think they probably would.

Quote Originally Posted by rootbrain View Post
    You MUST be kidding. We're talking what a few millimeters? Sheesh, dude from those comments you'd think this thing was a 1992 Nokia or sumptin, LOL. I honestly think the Razr and some others are TOO THIN. Felt like if I put them in a back pocket and forgot, they would snap in half if I sat down. Still think they probably would.
    You are right that is is a few millimeters but it is noticeable. The stock Rezound is thicker than the Nexus. It is nearly twice as thick as the Razr. Add the extended battery and that goes up even more. And it's heavy. We are clearly in the error of thin and fast smartphones with nice screens. For being such a new phone and going 2 for 3 In this regard the Rezound is somewhat out of place. Is it a 100% deal-breaker? Absolutely not. Is it keeping some people from buying the Rezound? Probably. I draw attention to it because I think it is the one drawback on a very very good phone. All of these phones IMHO are great so small issues like this affect which one you buy. And also if I don't like the Maxx I'm all in with the Rezound + extended battery

Have to agree here. Discounting all the other arguments for/against either phone, I just liked the way the Rezound felt when I picked it up, as opposed to the Razr OR the Bionic. Both felt a bit, umm, uncomfortable. Guess that's the only way to explain. Then getting into things like replaceable battery, beats audio etc. etc. the Rezound then became the choice for me.
    I agree with you also. When I held the razr it felt awkward with how wide it was. The rezound was a little heavier but felt better in hand.
    Journeyman

ROM
    A

Rezound

Better Screen
    Better Dev support and rom options
    More comfortable build
    Better camera

Razr
    Better battery

OS
    This is purely opinionated

Blur is lighter and faster but looks ugly as hell to me
    Sense is heavier but looks alot better. The ICS versions of these seem to be shaping up
    So far Blur maintains it's light approach. Although it could change, right now there is little difference between stock ICS and ICS Blur
    Sense on the other hand has again skinned the entire OS. Will it be lighter and perform better has yet to be determined. ICS is able to take advantage of dual core processors so both the Maxx and Rezound should see a bump in battery and performance.

Another negative with motorola is the chance they launch the Razr Maxx HD in a few months. The last 4G HTC phone on Verizon came out last March. Really good time frame.
    Follow me on Twitter: @SpaceHippieSays
    HES

Global Posts
    390 Global Posts

I compared the Razr and Rezound recently, taking into account that the Maxx would be coming out soon enough. For me the critical items were radio reception and battery life as I too go out into a lot of remote places and do not always have ready access to power. So my wife and I and a buddy went into the woods where we camp and hunt. She had a Rezound, he had a Razr . Both got good voice signal (CDMA) out in the middle of no where. My GN couldn't make one call. This is a commentary on how much work HTC has put into developing better radios. On to the battery, with the extended battery in the Rezound I am getting about 15 or so hours with BT on all the time and fairly heavy (for me) use. I'm sure the Razr Maxx will meet or exceed that but 15 hours is enough for me.

So it came to personal preference. I never had a problem with Blur. There were some UI elements to it that I actually prefer over Sense. Sense took a bit of getting used to but I'm ok with it now and I haven't seen any performance hits. I actually prefer a heftier phone physically and weight wise. The two things that sold me on the Rezound were the screen quality and the ability to root and unlock.

As always, YMMV

Quote Originally Posted by webostoandroid82 View Post
    You are right that is is a few millimeters but it is noticeable. The stock Rezound is thicker than the Nexus. It is nearly twice as thick as the Razr. Add the extended battery and that goes up even more. And it's heavy. We are clearly in the error of thin and fast smartphones with nice screens. For being such a new phone and going 2 for 3 In this regard the Rezound is somewhat out of place. Is it a 100% deal-breaker? Absolutely not. Is it keeping some people from buying the Rezound? Probably. I draw attention to it because I think it is the one drawback on a very very good phone. All of these phones IMHO are great so small issues like this affect which one you buy. And also if I don't like the Maxx I'm all in with the Rezound + extended battery
    My comment was made not because you mentioned that it's thicker, because of course it is. It was because your comment in the previous post said "To me a phone that size in 2011-2012 is kinda lame."

To say that the Rezound is lame because it isn't the same thinness as a Razr is like saying the Razr is lame because it isn't as thin as a credit card. It could be, with todays technology, but it isn't lame just because it's not.

Some day we'll all be using **** Tracy wrist "radios" with video. But like the watches of today, they will be different sizes and styles from entry level to top of the line. Do you think some will be lame?

Last day to decide if I want to keep my HTC Rezound or trade up to a Droid Razr Maxx. My opinion? Motorolla wants to Sell the Razrs extended battery, and charge customers $100 more, to make more profit. My HTC Rezound Maxx only cost $230. My Rezound will talk and surf the web at the same time using a 3G connection. My Rezound will take a wide camera shot with 25% more picture. My Rezound will display natural whites and colors. My Rezound will automaticaly update all my mp3's album art. My Rezound can screen capture a text message, directions, a sale, a funny Facebook picture, just by holding power and pressing home. My Rezound plays true 720p HD Video and great sound. My Rezound "Maxx" only cost me $30 for a 2750mah battery that last all day and all night. So someone please tell me why I would take my Rezound back and buy this.

Quote Originally Posted by coltsbro84 View Post
    Last day to decide if I want to keep my HTC Rezound or trade up to a Droid Razr Maxx. My opinion? Motorolla wants to Sell the Razrs extended battery, and charge customers $100 more, to make more profit. My HTC Rezound Maxx only cost $230. My Rezound will talk and surf the web at the same time using a 3G connection. My Rezound will take a wide camera shot with 25% more picture. My Rezound will display natural whites and colors. My Rezound will automaticaly update all my mp3's album art. My Rezound can screen capture a text message, directions, a sale, a funny Facebook picture, just by holding power and pressing home. My Rezound plays true 720p HD Video and great sound. My Rezound "Maxx" only cost me $30 for a 2750mah battery that last all day and all night. So someone please tell me why I would take my Rezound back and buy this.

So you can get a thinner phone? (tongue in cheek)

My comment was made not because you mentioned that it's thicker, because of course it is. It was because your comment in the previous post said "To me a phone that size in 2011-2012 is kinda lame."

To say that the Rezound is lame because it isn't the same thinness as a Razr is like saying the Razr is lame because it isn't as thin as a credit card. It could be, with todays technology, but it isn't lame just because it's not.

Some day we'll all be using **** Tracy wrist "radios" with video. But like the watches of today, they will be different sizes and styles from entry level to top of the line. Do you think some will be lame?
    Let's move past my choice of words here and I'll explain. It is obvious that consumers want thinner and lighter phones. The market has responded in kind, the Razr being a prime example. Look at the Nexus. Look at the LG Prada. Look at almost every current and next gen android phone out. Another thing is that the technology exists to make phones with larger capacity batteries that add little to no width to the phone. The Razr Maxx is a prime example. The Nexus has extended batteries which use the standard battery door. Anker has made extended batteries for other phones which use the standard battery door. So for a current gen smartphone that comes out in q4 2011 to be somewhat thick, or thicker in comparison is disappointing. Also the size of the stock battery of the Rezound isn't even big enough to support it being that size . Now the size of the phone could be due to the Beats tech being in the phone, I don't know.

I feel like a jerk for arguing for the Maxx in the Rezound forum but I'm interested in what current Rezound owners think with this other new phone out. Again I feel that the Rezound is the superior phone, but the Maxx makes for an interesting compare and contrast. I think the Rezound + extended battery is superior to the original Razr, but the Razr with a bigger battery???

Ahh but 720x1280 vs. 540x960...gotta have true LCD HD hehe.

My mom and cousin both just got RAZR's around launch date, and they are the ones I feel sorry for...didn't know to wait an extra month to get a MAXX if they were going to get a Moto anyway...
    Or a Droid4.

But then when quad-core HTC ships maybe then I will be the one jealous lol.
    Deluxe Member

I am in this group too. The closer I get to my upgrade (maybe this weekend...we'll see), the more I think about which to get.

As I said in another topic, I am 95% sure I'm getting the Rezound, as its a better all-around phone than the MAXX, IMO. BUT, the battery life is weighing on me. I have no desire to get the extended battery, adding to the thickness of the phone, so I'd have to roll with the stock battery until HTC releases an extended battery that doesn't add thickness.

This harkens back to the release of the Tbolt, where everyone was singing its praises...until it was discovered that the battery life was completely awful. Then, it became the 'wasted' upgrade for many, and the forgotten child of the Verizon line-up, even though it was one of the best performers to date in the Verizon line-up.

The DInc had a similar issue with not-great BL, but I've always gotten better-than-average battery life with mine (was in Vegas for the weekend, with moderate+ usage with NO WIFI and I got a good 11 hours out of the battery on a daily basis (and that was just down to the 15% range). I am on Wifi at home all day mostly (work from home), and I can easily get 23-28 hours with the stock battery, with moderate usage (FB, texts, a few 5 min calls, Foursquare, etc). If I could match that with the Rezound, I'd be quite pleased.

My worry is that the Rezound's BL issues seem to be more prominent, with many saying with stock battery and moderate use they're only getting about 7 hours per day off Wifi and about 15 hours on Wifi most of the time. Having to charge my phone more than once per day is not ideal.

So do I bite on the Rezound, hoping I can again get better-than-average BL again, or that HTC will release a same-size extended battery? Or do I head into personally uncharted Droid territory for a good (but not AS good) phone with a better battery?

Droid Razr Maxx: This is the Droid I'm looking for.

Quote Originally Posted by coltsbro84 View Post
    I am pretty happy paying $50 on upgrade for the rezound and $30 for the battery. The rezound is a good fit for me.
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast