Welcome to the Android Central Forums Create Your Account or Ask a Question Answers in 5 minutes - no registration required!
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Like Tree2Likes
  1. Thread Author  Thread Author    #1  

Default Who's staying stock till official Ice Cream Sandwich OTA?

I am loving my new Rezound. As much as I loved flashing new ROMs on my Thunderbolt before, I'm seriously thinking about keeping it stock till the official ICS release.
    The only disadvantages I see right now is the bloat and subpar battery life. It really does everything else well with little help.
    I'm thinking with Verizon releasing an OTA recently it may be longer than expected before the ICS release. I wouldn't think they would have released an update with ICS right around the corner.

Sent from my ADR6425LVW using Tapatalk

Default Re: Who's staying stock till official Ice Cream Sandwich OTA?

It is running great to start screwing with it,still amazed with all the memory hog stuff running, i cannot complain, so yes staying stock for now.

I am staying stock for fear something crazy will happen with my Rezound. I have the kind of luck that if I rooted the phone tonight, tomorrow I would have a dead pixel or something and then be stuck with a fight over warranting a rooted Rezound.

I am staying stock until the official OTA.

Then I will root and debloat.

If I don't like the sense overlay I will flash a pure ICS ROM.

I love sense, so my guess is that's what ill be running.

ROM
    HTC One (Verizon) Stock

It's very possible that what ever exploit that is being used to gain root access may be "fixed" when ICS does come out. After that it could be quite the waiting game. If your inclined to root, I'd do it sooner rather than later.
    "I drank what?" -Socrates
  6. Thread Author  Thread Author    #6  

Quote Originally Posted by Wanda View Post
    It's very possible that what ever exploit that is being used to gain root access may be "fixed" when ICS does come out. After that it could be quite the waiting game. If your inclined to root, I'd do it sooner rather than later.
    That's a good point.
    I was thinking about that also.

ROM
    HTC One (Verizon) Stock

And speak of the devil...just saw that Cyanogen Mod 9 Alpha 1 just came out today. If anyone hasn't ever used a CM ROM its IMO the BEST stock Android period! To be fair though I've never tried scrosler's stock ICS.

Global Posts
    99 Global Posts

I'm rooted and running a great ROM right now. When ICS comes there will probably be issues with is just like there is for the Nexus. I would rather wait till the Dev's fix the new released ICS when it comes out. When it is released they will have it tweaked within a week or two and it will already be rooted with some form of recovery built in that is what I'm waiting for. I also have a rooted Iconia tablet and it is rooted and already has ICS on it even though they still need to fix a couple of things it is running great also.
    Sent From the dark side of the moon.

And speak of the devil...just saw that Cyanogen Mod 9 Alpha 1 just came out today. If anyone hasn't ever used a CM ROM its IMO the BEST stock Android period! To be fair though I've never tried scrosler's stock ICS.
    ^^This. I cannot wait for them to get working phone/data/camera.
    Journeyman

ROM
    A

Im Stock. I plan on staying stock for a while. I actually like where Sense is going and think it takes ICS features and puts it on the beauty of Sense
    Follow me on Twitter: @SpaceHippieSays

That's cool I hadn't seen that CM9 report, yet. Not entirely sold on best period, portion, but they certainly were the ones who set the bar for comparisons of other dev ROMs that followed. I'm not one to just jump on the first thing I see. So I'm not sure who'll go with when I decide to load an ICS rom. I have to say I do like what I've seen and read of Scotts ICS rom, though. I'm kinda ashamed to say I haven't tried any of his stuff considering how prevelant he is in this forum. So I'm kinda leaning towards his unless something else blows me away. Wouldn't be surprised if CM9 pushed itself to the top slot, though. Guess I got some homework to do.

Global Posts
    75 Global Posts

Stock but, all the VZW bloat drives me closer to debloating each day. The amount of garbage Verizon slaps on devices now is crazy.

I am somewhat stock. Rooted and just froze the bloatware I didn't want. I really like the Sense and just didn't want the VZW bloat. Read some good stuff on Scott's ICS Rom and may try that, but really liking what I have now, so may just wait for the official ICS and see where that goes and then decide what to do.

Global Posts
    633 Global Posts
    ROM
    Stock

Quote Originally Posted by Ravaloft View Post
    Stock but, all the VZW bloat drives me closer to debloating each day. The amount of garbage Verizon slaps on devices now is crazy.
    ^This!

Remaining stock.

In my mind it is simply too great a risk to load a rom from some relatively unknown developer shop. Yes I know a lot of them have good reviews, but as you probably know its relatively easy to generate your own reviews.

It would not be a problem for an unscroupuous dev shop to add all kinds of malware to the rom and you would never see it untill your identity was stolen or worse, and you would likely have no recourse.

Remember carrier IQ....ya that was done be some carriers and some phone manufacturers, but they have something to lose and responded quickly once it was discovered.

If you can't tolerate the bloatware,complain to Verizon through multiple avenues. If enough people complain maybe someting good will happen.

Just my 2c worth.....
  16. Thread Author  Thread Author    #16  

You know better than tempt a flash addict!

Sent from my ADR6425LVW using Tapatalk
    One Man Wolfpack

Global Posts
    1,001 Global Posts
    ROM
    Stock

Quote Originally Posted by skyjjc View Post
    Remaining stock.

In my mind it is simply too great a risk to load a rom from some relatively unknown developer shop. Yes I know a lot of them have good reviews, but as you probably know its relatively easy to generate your own reviews.

It would not be a problem for an unscroupuous dev shop to add all kinds of malware to the rom and you would never see it untill your identity was stolen or worse, and you would likely have no recourse.
    For the sake of curiosity, what website is this that has dev reviews?
    I think you're being overly paranoid about ROMs. If Scott had the time to create ROMs, have a job, and create 20 forum names just to praise his own work, well, I'd actually be impressed about his time management.
    If you're referring to CyanogenMod, they're pretty damn far from "relatively unknown."
    But rest assured, if a dev or user tried out a ROM and discovered shady crap, it would be reported. Just as TrevE discovered Carrier IQ and reported it to the masses.

Global Posts
    127 Global Posts
    ROM
    AOKP b38

Staying stock

Tapatalkin on htc Rezound

ROM
    HTC One (Verizon) Stock

Quote Originally Posted by skyjjc View Post
    Remaining stock.

Remember carrier IQ....ya that was done be some carriers and some phone manufacturers, but they have something to lose and responded quickly once it was discovered.

If you can't tolerate the bloatware,complain to Verizon through multiple avenues. If enough people complain maybe someting good will happen.

Just my 2c worth.....
    Well at least your not paranoid or anything....

Any dev that was caught inserting malicious code into their ROMs would be immediately excoriated and probably banned from most if not every Android site there is. Similar to a hockey game where one guy runs around roughing up the smaller guys...he eventually gets his a$$ handed to him via a fight or nasty check into the boards, a bad dev will get his as well.

As far as complaining to Verizon about the bloatware, I think you're being a bit naive about it. Whatever revenue they get from ordinary people (in the sense that ordinary people being folks who don't care to know any thing else about their device aside from what the read in the included info sheet) who use the NFL app and all the other VZgarbage would far outweigh any complaints from the very small minority of Android users.

Global Posts
    597 Global Posts
    ROM
    Stock Rooted 4.0.4

Im waiting for either the new update to be rooted or wait till the ICS OTA comes and gets rooted and debloated.
    Phone - HTC One / Galaxy S3 w/CM10
    Tablet - Nexus 7 2013

I am staying stock until ICS or a very good ICS rom with no major issues comes out....

Global Posts
    952 Global Posts
    ROM
    Droid Inc JB 4.1.1

Probably stay stock. Real happy with the phone as is so far. Although if the past is any indication, HTC and Verizon won't have ICS to us in the first half of the year.
    "There's no reason to become alarmed, and we hope you'll enjoy the rest of your flight. By the way, is there anyone on board who knows how to fly a plane?"

I'd like to switch to a different ROM, but I'm going to stay stock for the time being. There are some things I don't like about the stock setup, but there isn't enough at the moment to put me over the edge.

Global Posts
    1,842 Global Posts
    ROM
    VernomRez / ICS / CM9

As I bricked one phone already trying to re bloat it (to get the new update) I think i'll be extremly careful on what i do.

Well, I'm not a rooter. Although I did temp root to debloat, and probably would again if it still worked. I'm not adventurous enough to do a full root if the opportunity arises again to temp root I will.
    Sent from my HTCOX Fōn.
    major payne likes this.
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast