Rezound to Photon?

ShadowCatcher

Jun 2, 2010
Visit site
"...beyond the scope of her [Verizon Tech] expertise." Now, that's special...

You definitely got something odd going on. A rogue app? Anything weird showing up in running apps or battery use? Since you just got the phone, have you had time to load very many new apps?

HollyDolly

Sep 27, 2011
Visit site
"...beyond the scope of her [Verizon Tech] expertise." Now, that's special...

You definitely got something odd going on. A rogue app? Anything weird showing up in running apps or battery use? Since you just got the phone, have you had time to load very many new apps?
Nope. Hadn't even added my email account, nor downloaded any apps because I just wanted to see if it work as a phone at works first (which it didn't). So the phone was brand new, out-of-the-box stock, without a single chane made to it.

I don't want to get my hopes up, but maybe those weird codes mean something and VZW higher tier tech can fix my service? Because I do love my phone, even more than the Rezound - it's light-weight, yet solid. I wanna keep it! Waaaah.

ShadowCatcher

Jun 2, 2010
Visit site
Guess we can forgive ya for being a traitor to the Rezound (sorta - maybe...), but it would be nice if Big Red could fix your service. Out here in the boonies, you kind of expect disruptions - big city folk, shouldn't...

humpagardengnome

Oct 24, 2011
Visit site
She had no ideas and said it was beyond the scope of her expertise. She added that in all her 4 years there, she had never seen anything like it. I'm just special, I guess.. *rolling eyes*

Sounds like your phone(s) radios are going bonkers on CDMA/EVDO/EHRPD endlessly in and out of commuunication w/ their network. Seems like it's their network in your area that is causing the issues,(interference? dropping packets?). Do you know where your local cell towers are located. There are apps that can map them if you don't. Wonder the distance and direction between you and them. It's an unlikely solution but it might be worth a try to see what occurs w/ voice signal strength in close proximity. Either way, you've got an interesting call headed your way.

bloodycape77

Dec 2, 2009
Visit site
Not really, they use different technology. Moto uses super amoled, htc uses slcd. The hd screen vs qHD means that the rezound has a higher resolution. The rezound is sharper than the Maxx. But the Maxx is more vibrant and oversaturated. It depends on what you do. I usually browse the web with pages that aren't heavily image laden and email, and so the rezound to me is the better choice since it is sharper. What is better for me might not be important to others. I know people who like to keep screen at low resolution on the computer monitor on lcd which makes the text fuzzy and annoying as hell to me, but they like it that way. I tried to put the optimal resolution, and they didn't like it.

Was referring to the Netflix difference.

HollyDolly

Sep 27, 2011
Visit site
Sounds like your phone(s) radios are going bonkers on CDMA/EVDO/EHRPD endlessly in and out of commuunication w/ their network. Seems like it's their network in your area that is causing the issues,(interference? dropping packets?). Do you know where your local cell towers are located. There are apps that can map them if you don't. Wonder the distance and direction between you and them. It's an unlikely solution but it might be worth a try to see what occurs w/ voice signal strength in close proximity. Either way, you've got an interesting call headed your way.
I think in both locations (home/work) there's one with 4-10 miles. I would be curious to try that app, if you tell me which, to get more exact numbers/locations.

humpagardengnome

Oct 24, 2011
Visit site
I think in both locations (home/work) there's one with 4-10 miles. I would be curious to try that app, if you tell me which, to get more exact numbers/locations.

Open Singnal Maps, in the good ol' android market, for free. It is a very interesting app., there's very useful tools to show you exactly what your phone is connecting with, in real time. It even works when off the network using your wi-fi.

humpagardengnome

Oct 24, 2011
Visit site
Razr has a more vibrant screen, but also over saturated. Of course some people prefer this. Netflix runs in hd on the Maxx, I don't believe the rezound supports hd netflix.

Netflix HD is unsupported but it does work on the Rezound. As I recall, Netflix needed the S3 to meet a security requirement, OpenCert, in order to allow "official" access on the Rezound. Qualcomm just did that for the new as yet unreleased S4 chipset. They have not done that for the S3 in the Rezound. However, Netflix HD has been modded for root users. It's up and running on certain ROMs. So I'm sure it will pop up elsewhere, in the near future.

bloodycape77

Dec 2, 2009
Visit site
Netflix HD is unsupported but it does work on the Rezound. As I recall, Netflix needed the S3 to meet a security requirement, OpenCert, in order to allow "official" access on the Rezound. Qualcomm just did that for the new as yet unreleased S4 chipset. They have not done that for the S3 in the Rezound. However, Netflix HD has been modded for root users. It's up and running on certain ROMs. So I'm sure it will pop up elsewhere, in the near future.

Which, rom is that?

humpagardengnome

Oct 24, 2011
Visit site

HollyDolly

Sep 27, 2011
Visit site
Well, I didn't get e-mail notified of messages after mine in this thread. Weird.

Anyway, I downloaded OpenSignal, and I got good reception at home (which I knew anyway). On 4G alone, I got 65% reception - it's not the best, but it's not bad.

Now I'm back at work, and it can't even pick up a signal - Wifi or otherwise. I know the Wifi at my work place can be pretty finicky - it was this way even on an iPad and my other phones - but at least the Rezound picked it up somewhat, whereas the Maxx...nada. I tried OpenSignal and it keeps saying there is no signal. Under the "cells" option, it also reads, "Connected: 1; RSS: (ranges anywhere from -1-9)". Not sure what it means, but regardless - no data signal.

I wrote the tech support person who'd given me her email address and who had, supposedly, passed my signal issues on to 2nd tier tech support. I asked her to contact me with updates, and haven't heard BOO from her. :-\

And to add insult to injury, Verizon sends me an email today to say they can't verify my work discount because my last name was cut off from my badge scan. Well, idiots, how about contacting my work directly, since you had the info? Sprint had NO problems with this.

I'm starting to think VZW is a total scamaroo.

I DID go to Sprint and checked out their phones, but man...they are OLD style. The Photon is their most "recent" android and the screen rez on that BLOWS. The alternatives are the Evo's, but those are from last July - I don't want that. And the Evo 3D has a lot of issues with the camera, and even the sales rep admitted to this.

So I'm not sure WHAT to do right now, but I'm very unhappy with Verizon, that's for sure.

If I could just keep my Maxx (or Rezound) and move back to Sprint, that'd be something (I know I can't).

HollyDolly

Sep 27, 2011
Visit site
Just to close this story off - I switched back to Sprint and to the Photon tonight. Verizon was just not working for me at work; missed calls ALL the time. Anyway, it's not the end of the world and as long as I have a phone that works, it's alright by me - right now. Let's hope Photon is that phone. :)

ShadowCatcher

Jun 2, 2010
Visit site
Just to close this story off - I switched back to Sprint and to the Photon tonight. Verizon was just not working for me at work; missed calls ALL the time. Anyway, it's not the end of the world and as long as I have a phone that works, it's alright by me - right now. Let's hope Photon is that phone. :)

Good luck with the Photon. Hope it (and Sprint) works out for ya!