Rezound to Photon?

HollyDolly

Sep 27, 2011
Visit site
Alright...I've given this phone/network (Verizon) a fair shot - one week of no phone at work, no signal, phone exchanges, etc. and I don't think it's going to work for me, unfortunately. :(

I ♥ the Rezound, as a phone, but with the recent OTA update that messed up my connection issues - twice! - and the fact that even out on the street, I get dropped/patchy phone calls (same thing with the Nexus), I'm thinking it's really partially a network issue. I know Verizon is supposed to be good, BUT...for some reason, it's not so great for me and my life/work.

So, I'm thinking of going back to Sprint (at least I know what I get with them), and potentially picking up the Photon 4G. I hadn't wanted to do that in the past when I was still with Sprint, because I'd heard of something called "the sleep of death" with that phone. BUT, given that now I'm getting a really cool looking paper weight with the Rezound on Verizon, what else am I to do?

I want honest input from all of you - clearly, we Android-forumers (is that a word?) are more obsessed with our phones than your average (non-forum-posting) consumer :D, so your input would be greatly appreciated!

bloodycape77

Dec 2, 2009
Visit site
A bit related but have you tried the extended battery and cover, because I just got my extended battery today and no lie it my 4G single went from 4 bars(3 in some rooms) to a consistent 5 bars right now. Something worth a shot no?

HollyDolly

Sep 27, 2011
Visit site
A bit related but have you tried the extended battery and cover, because I just got my extended battery today and no lie it my 4G single went from 4 bars(3 in some rooms) to a consistent 5 bars right now. Something worth a shot no?
Thanks, but no. I don't have any bars. I get a consistent X for data, so I highly doubt a bigger battery will save this phone.

bloodycape77

Dec 2, 2009
Visit site
Well I was specifically referring to the cover as that is where the antenna on our phones are located, and the extended batteries antennas look a bit different.

Postoid

Nov 26, 2011
Visit site
Sorry to hear your having a bad experience with VZW. I read your post and wanted to say that I was with Sprint when they were Nextel for 8 years and really liked the network with a Moto i580 flip phone. Got excellent connections almost wherever I went with great voice/signal. Made the switch to Verizon in Dec '11 and really couldn't be happier. As to the Rezound, I must have got lucky getting this one for a penny. Just finished the OTA and a few positive changes since I first fired it up. The Photon was the phone I would have got if I decided to stay with Sprint but began reading a lot of problems with connections and battery issues so that's when I heard about the Rezound. Never looked back...

HollyDolly

Sep 27, 2011
Visit site
Sorry to hear your having a bad experience with VZW. I read your post and wanted to say that I was with Sprint when they were Nextel for 8 years and really liked the network with a Moto i580 flip phone. Got excellent connections almost wherever I went with great voice/signal. Made the switch to Verizon in Dec '11 and really couldn't be happier. As to the Rezound, I must have got lucky getting this one for a penny. Just finished the OTA and a few positive changes since I first fired it up. The Photon was the phone I would have got if I decided to stay with Sprint but began reading a lot of problems with connections and battery issues so that's when I heard about the Rezound. Never looked back...
You're lucky...or rather, I'm not so lucky, because both my Rezounds bricked with the OTA.

I ended up calling Sprint and they were obviously happy to see I may come back. Now I'm on the phone with VZW and they say they want me to be happy, and now want me to try out the Razr Maxx. It's difficult for me to figure out if my issue - aside from the OTA update bricking my phone - a network issue or a phone build issue.

I suppose I can always try the Motorola (not my 1st choice, obvs.) and see how that works, then if it doesn't, just go back to Sprint. I still have 7-days left of my 14 trial period, but it's just getting frustrating to do this every night, not be able to enjoy my new phone, and be without a phone at work every day for the past 3 days.

And, I don't like the attitude the VZW store employees have when I go in...as if it's MY fault the phones are bricked. :(

So, not sure what to do. Try the Razr Maxx? Or just go to Sprint and the Photon?

dpham00

Moderator Team VP
Apr 23, 2011
Visit site
if they are willing to let you try it at no additional cost (no restocking fee), i'd try the razr maxx. you've got nothing to lose.

chevyman29

Jun 20, 2011
Visit site
i have the razr and my wife has the rezound both have been rock solid if i was you i would give the maxx a try it cant hurt and if that wont work then you have done all you can do .

buckifvr

Dec 3, 2009
Visit site
Sorry to hear about your bad experience with the Rezound. If the OTA is the problem with your Rezound avoid it by using a custom ICS ROM. Or give the Maxx a try. My experience with the Rezound with CleanROM 2.2 ICS has been great with great signal.

Sent from my ADR6425LVW using Tapatalk

twolastnames

Nov 25, 2011
Visit site
I would be thinking 2 things. First, is Verizon still giving people the home network extender for people with no coverage in their house? In the past I think they have done this for people.

If you are dead set on leaving..... why the photon, and not the galaxy s2?

HollyDolly

Sep 27, 2011
Visit site
Hi guys. :)

After waiting almost ONE hour to see the guy who was assigned to handle my account in store, I told him I'd try the Razr and that'll be the last phone. He was trying to convince me to go the Gnex, but I already had that...connectivity issues, galore! So he said the Maxx is a good phone, but that he's not a fan of the MotoBlur - he has the Rezound. I told him I would LIKE to keep the Rezound but after the OTA coming through so fast and DL'ing automatically, not giving me a chance to even do much - including root - I didn't know what other options I had.

Anyway, so he swapped my Rezound for the Maxx (it cost me additional buckeroos, to pay the difference), set it up, and here I am. I haven't had a chance to even do much with it...but, I will say this - it's SO much lighter (in weight) than the Rezound. Although it seems bigger in size - it's only a tad so - but weight-wise, there's a huge difference.

Beyond that, I have to spend tonight personalizing it a bit (email, etc.) so I can have the basics for my work day tomorrow. But if I go into work and I end up with no reception again...it's back to Sprint.

I need my phone to at least work as a phone, and well...ya know.

As for why I would pick the Photon? I had already owned the GSII and the reception on those Samsung phones are just too patchy. I could get excellent reception on my BBerry where I didn't have a prayer of getting reception on the GSII...so that would really leave the Photon, right?

Fingers crossed. I wish I could be excited about my - yet again! - new phone, but I've been through the exchange thing so much this week, I don't have energy for excitement.

Thanks for the input. I'll update the phone's performance tomorrow at work.

humpagardengnome

Oct 24, 2011
Visit site
As for why I would pick the Photon? I had already owned the GSII and the reception on those Samsung phones are just too patchy. I could get excellent reception on my BBerry where I didn't have a prayer of getting reception on the GSII...so that would really leave the Photon, right?

When you say you owned are you talking about the SGsII variant, Epic 4g Touch, on Sprint or the GN on Verizon you returned? I've played w/ the E4GT and the GN, they are not one in the same. GN is basically a Galaxy phone, in name only. I enjoyed the time I spent on my bros GN , we swapped on Thanksgiving for a day, but the E4GT is a better overall performer, far more reliable, in light of all the problems that surfaced on the GN, post release.

HollyDolly

Sep 27, 2011
Visit site
Sooooo...I'm in the office, and guess what? NO RECEPTION on my Maxx. :mad:

I guess that settles it: it's not only the phone, it's the network as well. I guess I get no reception with Verizon in my office - and their tech support's suggestion that I "step outside" every time I get/make a call is not practical.

It's a good thing I didn't even bother personalizing my Maxx last night; would have been pointless anyway. :'(

chevyman29

Jun 20, 2011
Visit site
sorry to hear the maxx didnt work out its definitly not three seperate phones so its got to be poor coverage by verizon . does the maxx work ok everywhere else ? if it does great everywhere but your office you might try a network extender for your office and still get the good data everywhere else . but of course thats even more money .

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
kemberley1