Rejecting OTA?

MINIATUREART

Jan 13, 2012
Visit site
Hello all. I've been reading with much dread on the changes to my phone with the Verizon forced OTA update. I really don't care about the extra battery bar, and didn't want to have my battery life wasted by the Verizon Location bloatware. I caught my phone twice trying to install the OTA, and I defered it until tomorrow.

That's when I notice you can "reject" the update. Currently if you go into settings, status, you can then click on reject. It appears the OTA will not install.

Hope this helps,

BOBBY

2012-02-02_23-50-34.jpg

Last edited:

HollyDolly

Sep 27, 2011
Visit site
Mine didn't even give me a chance to reject it. If you're not around to keep rejecting it, it will auto-install. Did for me on 2 Rezounds!

rootbrain

Oct 13, 2011
Visit site
I asked in another thread about the downloaded 52MB file. I've searched my phone, after it said it was downloaded, but can't find a file that would be it.

Anyone have any ideas? If it's here I want to clean it out.

MINIATUREART

Jan 13, 2012
Visit site
This is what the rejection screen looks like:

2012-02-03_23-21-06.jpg

And when you check the status form phone info, this is what I see:

2012-02-03_23-22-35.jpg

Also, I actually rejected the OTA update the day prior to my original posting. It seems the Verizon tried to auto update, but it was rejected as per my settings when I turned on the phone in the morning. Hopefully this will continue.

BOBBY

humpagardengnome

Oct 24, 2011
Visit site
This is what the rejection screen looks like:

Click to view quoted image

And when you check the status form phone info, this is what I see:

Click to view quoted image

Also, I actually rejected the OTA update the day prior to my original posting. It seems the Verizon tried to auto update, but it was rejected as per my settinrgs when I turned on the phone in the morning. Hopefully this will continue.
O
BOBBY

Here's the catch, that defer is not there to actually reject the update. It's there to delay it if you're using your phone and can't stop what you're doing to execute the update. Which is why it pops back up. It will only happen for a period of time. I believe that in another thread, a member said VzW informed him the cut off date was reported by Verizon as Feb. 5. Even if it's not the case for you immediately. It will happen automatically, at some point, while the phone sleeps. Hence, the app permission not allow phone ro sleep in the updater .apk. Unless your running an ICS rom, it's inevitable. So enjoy while it lasts.

MINIATUREART

Jan 13, 2012
Visit site
Here's the catch, that defer is not there to actually reject the update. It's there to delay it if you're using your phone and can't stop what you're doing to execute the update. Which is why it pops back up. It will only happen for a period of time. I believe that in another thread, a member said VzW informed him the cut off date was reported by Verizon as Feb. 5. Even if it's not the case for you immediately. It will happen automatically, at some point, while the phone sleeps. Hence, the app permission not allow phone ro sleep in the updater .apk. Unless your running an ICS rom, it's inevitable. So enjoy while it lasts.

I'm not sure you're understanding what I'm doing. I'm not defering the update, I'm rejecting as shown in the images from my previous postings. It's the 6th, and my Rezound still runs without the OTA. There is no pop up or prompt to update. When I check my status, it shows the update was rejected. No issues with the phone sleeping, or forced updates upon turning on the Rezound.

Dodged a bullet, so take that Verizon......:-$

BOBBY

humpagardengnome

Oct 24, 2011
Visit site
I'm not sure you're understanding what I'm doing. I'm not defering the update, I'm rejecting as shown in the images from my previous postings. It's the 6th, and my Rezound still runs without the OTA. There is no pop up or prompt to update. When I check my status, it shows the update was rejected. No issues with the phone sleeping, or forced updates upon turning on the Rezound.

Dodged a bullet, so take that Verizon......:-$

BOBBY

I understand fully, enjoy it while it lasts. I assure you, w/in 30 days. You will be staring at VLA in your Rezounds.running services if you stay stock GB.

MINIATUREART

Jan 13, 2012
Visit site
I understand fully, enjoy it while it lasts. I assure you, w/in 30 days. You will be staring at VLA in your Rezounds.running services if you stay stock GB.

Hmmm, first you say the change will occure on the 5th, now it's within 30 days? Where are you coming up with this information? I posted screen captures of what's going on with my Rezound to support my statements. I guess I'll update this thread at the end of the month.:D

BOBBY

humpagardengnome

Oct 24, 2011
Visit site
Hmmm, first you say the change will occure on the 5th, now it's within 30 days? Where are you coming up with this information?

I said 30 days as a guess but I passed along the rest based off experience & what I read from this thread, below. It will auto download, even to a rooted GB ROM but cannot install the update if it's been unlocked, rooted and debloated.
http://forums.androidcentral.com/rezound-rooting-roms-hacks/153188-ota-update-auto-downloads.html

I posted screen captures of what's going on with my Rezound to support my statements. I guess I'll update this thread at the end of the month.:D BOBBY

I could go back to stock, lose root, let the OTA try to install. Deny it post the same screen capture you did of daily rejections for 3 weeks but I already know how the story ends if I'm running stock GB, so it's a waste of time. It ends the same for everyone who is locked running stock. Bro, I hope you're the golden child who manages to thwart Verizon and the the dreaded OTA push. You will be a legend if you can elude the update b/c not many stock users can claim success. Believe me, bro, I didn't post to try to deny your claim or aggravate, you or anything. I don't know how long you've been using android on Verizon but unless your brand new and have not seen what happens to stock usera and OTAs over the years. You'd already know that everybody gets it in the end.

VidJunky

Dec 6, 2011
Visit site
Please go to the market and post 1 star and a comment for the VLA. Only 97 people have and 7 of them have given it 5 stars???? Anyway, something has to make them fix this.

humpagardengnome

Oct 24, 2011
Visit site
Please go to the market and post 1 star and a comment for the VLA. Only 97 people have and 7 of them have given it 5 stars???? Anyway, something has to make them fix this.

I applaud the effort but customer tears are electrolytes to them. They just get stronger when we get weaker. Suggestions like yours happen on every release for one reason or another. It always falls on deaf ears, so save your energy for something that is worth it.

VidJunky

Dec 6, 2011
Visit site
I applaud the effort but customer tears are electrolytes to them. They just get stronger when we get weaker. Suggestions like yours happen on every release for one reason or another. It always falls on deaf ears, so save your energy for something that is worth it.
I'm sorry you feel that way, but just taking it is what they want. If only 100 people out of thousands say it's junk or worse in this case it's screwing up our phones then yeah they win. But I think it'd be harder to ignore an out cry.
If nothing is done nothing will change, if something is done at least there's a chance.

Dovahkiin

One Man Wolfpack
Nov 17, 2011
Visit site
I'm sorry you feel that way, but just taking it is what they want. If only 100 people out of thousands say it's junk or worse in this case it's screwing up our phones then yeah they win. But I think it'd be harder to ignore an out cry.
If nothing is done nothing will change, if something is done at least there's a chance.

While I agree with you in some ways, I have to agree with gardengnome on this one.
We're the very small minority that cares about this issues. We're also the ones that just root & uninstall any crap that bothers us, because we've come to accept that the carrier isn't looking out for our best interest or fulfilling our wishes. If you could get the majority of users to complain, then maybe you have a chance with Verizon.
Another reason why this might be futile is because Verizon LOVES to go against the grain. When VCast Music spawned from its hell hole, there were Rhapsody, Amazon MP3, and iTunes. Knowing full well that VCast stood no chance, Verizon simply decided to lock it into phones as bloatware and force us to live with it.
Even though Google Maps is wildly popular and amazingly free, Verizon still crams VZ Navigator any which way it can.
And of course ringtones, which you can make for free, are still sold by Verizon for $2.99.

rootbrain

Oct 13, 2011
Visit site
Any update they could possibly have would have to be ICS at least before I would give up root and bloatware removal. Now they're adding new bloat? No way for me. Will leave it and let it keep failing,.

Here's a suggestion to everyone, at least with unlimited data plans. Keep your wifi off and make EVERYTHING, including this 52MB OTA go through the VZ network (somethings won't from the market, but you can do those onsey-twosey)

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
akbarramadhani12