Waiting And AC Battery Testing?

MA2GA28

Jun 8, 2010
Visit site
Even though the reported battery life of the Rezound worries me and the size/girth of the phone is not ideal (bigger and thicker than my Droid Incredible), I'm pretty sure I'm going with it over the MAXX (at least first off, as I don't promise I will keep it past day 14) due to my usage patterns. However, I'm going to wait things out until Big Red fixes the crap that they created with the last OTA. No point in me getting it, turning it on, getting the OTA, and being pissed at the phone. I still have 2 weeks before my upgrade date, so hopefully they fix it by then because I'd hate to have to wait even longer.

On a side note, anyone else think that AC Powers-That-Be should do more battery tests of phones? I feel as though it's extremely lacking. The forums are nice, but there's no standardization. A baseline test would be better than nothing at all, which is basically what we get now. Not saying it needs to be done with the initial phone review, but after the battery has been cycled a couple of times, run the phone through, say, an hour of a standard test and see how the battery holds up (once on Wifi, once on 3G, once on 4G, if applicable). Include some day-to-day tasks (email check, texts, 3 minute phone call, take a couple pictures, etc) and some heavy-drainers (You Tube, song/app downloads, take a video, etc).
And yes, I understand signal strength will have an impact, but just do the tests in the same spots. Different performing radios is applicable; if a radio isn't as good in one phone, you'll obviously see that reflected in poorer battery life.

Last edited:

dpham00

Moderator Team VP
Apr 23, 2011
Visit site
Even though the reported battery life of the Rezound worries me and the size/girth of the phone is not ideal (bigger and thicker than my Droid Incredible), I'm pretty sure I'm going with it over the MAXX (at least first off, as I don't promise I will keep it past day 14) due to my usage patterns. However, I'm going to wait things out until Big Red fixes the crap that they created with the last OTA. No point in me getting it, turning it on, getting the OTA, and being pissed at the phone. I still have 2 weeks before my upgrade date, so hopefully they fix it by then because I'd hate to have to wait even longer.

On a side note, anyone else think that AC Powers-That-Be should do more battery tests of phones? I feel as though it's extremely lacking. The forums are nice, but there's no standardization. A baseline test would be better than nothing at all, which is basically what we get now. Not saying it needs to be done with the initial phone review, but after the battery has been cycled a couple of times, run the phone through, say, an hour of a standard test and see how the battery holds up (once on Wifi, once on 3G, once on 4G, if applicable). Include some day-to-day tasks (email check, texts, 3 minute phone call, take a couple pictures, etc) and some heavy-drainers (You Tube, song/app downloads, take a video, etc).
And yes, I understand signal strength will have an impact, but just do the tests in the same spots. Different performing radios is applicable; if a radio isn't as good in one phone, you'll obviously see that reflected in poorer battery life.

I am not so sure that I would trust AC battery life review. Phil claimed that the ThunderBolt becomes an uncharged brick by morning if left off the charger in a recent review. Although the thunderbolt is a battery hog, no doubt, i think that it should be able to get more than 8-10 hours of no usage before full discharge.

MA2GA28

Jun 8, 2010
Visit site
That's why I think it'd be a good idea to do a separate, standardized 'battery review' for the phones. One of the reviewers saying, "Eh, the battery life is alright," could mean "Sucks" to another reviewer.

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
maximusdebois