Dropped my Rezound, only cosmetic damage. What should I do?

g8-rez

Dec 20, 2011
Visit site
Seems like you really just need a new screen protector and a better case that will not fall off.
This would be cheaper, and you keep your phone that you know works well. There is always a chance you get a replacment with problems.
For around $20 you can get an otterbox commuter with screen protector off ebay. Problem solved - scratches are hidden, you will not get any more.
Now if the glass itself is actuelly damaged thats another story, but i would think its just the protector that is damaged. Take it off and see for sure.

Just my 2 cents!

ShaggyKids

Dec 1, 2010
Visit site
Lol I liked how this thread turned into how to a how to cheat Verizon thread.
Thanks guys!

I wouldn't do this myself but I know there are plenty of other people who would. We all pay the price for fraud in higher costs. Considering the cost of a new phone, $100 is a bargain.
Eventually companies will put their foot down and nice bennies like inexpensive phone replacement will no longer be an option.

Sent from my Rezound via TapaTalk

SpaceHippie

Journeyman
Dec 21, 2010
Visit site
This may sound weird, but as much as i love my phone and try to keep it perfect. I feel like it becomes a bit more personal when it gets a little beat up.

Drootz

Sep 14, 2010
Visit site
I hate to be dishonest, but I hate the damage even more!

What if I say that there is something wrong with the internal functions of my phone?

Ie, I had a DInc 1 and the first one was over heating and turned off because it got so hot, so I got it replaced for free. The second one wouldn't even turn on so I got another replacement for free.

Could I be able to say there is something wrong with how the phone works and get a replacement Rezound for free?

Lol I liked how this thread turned into how to a how to cheat Verizon thread.

Thanks guys!

Not saying this is the right thing to do....but if you pay for the ins. you might as well use it

Just say you lost the phone.....problem solved, No more questions, no more hassle, no more explanation needed, plus you get to keep the original phone for spare parts (battery, battery cover, etc....you just won't be able to activate it again) but you could still use it to test out roms.....

And IF your refurb was worse than your original just send the refurb back and say some nice person found it at a store and called you to return it to you, so you wanted to send the refurb back.

In the future might I recommend an otterbox to avoid these scenarios....yes it may be bulkier than most cases but they are outstanding for phone protection. (I personally use the otterbox defender cases on every android I have ever owned, to keep my phone in mint condition and would recommend you purchase one no matter which route you go)

FrankXS

Feb 27, 2011
Visit site
1) Insurance is the way to go.

2) If you bought the insurance from VZW it is Asurion with $100 deductible.

3) I feel certain that all you have to say is that you dropped the phone (three times -- trying not to laugh here, sorry for your issues :) ) and damaged it. That should be fine.

4) Asurion should have a phone to you by the next day.

5) The replacement phone should be just fine.

-Frank

anon(40376)

Jul 15, 2010
Visit site
I hate to be dishonest,

If you really hate to be dishonest, you would not be considering defrauding an insurance company. Hopefully, what goes around comes around....

Regardless of the pain, it was your fault, so just own up, be honest. Or, commit insurance fraud. Choice is yours....

GNex Girl

Feb 5, 2012
Visit site
If you really hate to be dishonest, you would not be considering defrauding an insurance company. Hopefully, what goes around comes around....

Regardless of the pain, it was your fault, so just own up, be honest. Or, commit insurance fraud. Choice is yours....
Wow, that was way out of line, not to mention false. The insurance covers accidental damage. He accidentally damaged his phone. That is a covered loss. If the screen is damaged, this is a touchscreen, that is more than just cosmetic.

He is not committing insurance fraud. Accidental damage that impairs the feel of a TOUCHscreen is a covered loss.

Apav

Jan 7, 2012
Visit site
Not saying this is the right thing to do....but if you pay for the ins. you might as well use it

Just say you lost the phone.....problem solved, No more questions, no more hassle, no more explanation needed, plus you get to keep the original phone for spare parts (battery, battery cover, etc....you just won't be able to activate it again) but you could still use it to test out roms.....

And IF your refurb was worse than your original just send the refurb back and say some nice person found it at a store and called you to return it to you, so you wanted to send the refurb back.

In the future might I recommend an otterbox to avoid these scenarios....yes it may be bulkier than most cases but they are outstanding for phone protection. (I personally use the otterbox defender cases on every android I have ever owned, to keep my phone in mint condition and would recommend you purchase one no matter which route you go)

Thanks! After I was laughed at by my friend he told me the same thing. So I went ahead and purchased this:
OTTERBOX COMMUTER SERIES CASE for HTC REZOUND NEW | eBay

If the damage to the screen was only the screen protector (I haven't taken it off yet until I receive the case) and the otterbox covers the side damage, I won't have to replace it then.

If I still don't like it I guess I will file a claim for accidental damage and pay up. Either way, I have a supposedly top of the line case for my phone.

Here is my old Rezound case:
Amazon.com: HTC REZOUND EXTENDED BATTERY CASE HOLSTER SHELL COMBO WITH KICKSTAND VERIZON OEM: Cell Phones & Accessories

It came with a bundle with my phone accessories. Besides my current case being shaky and slippery, I would of never guessed it would be more of a liability to me than protection!

And to the person who said to me I am committing insurance fraud... I only asked for my options, and that was one of them. I do hate to be dishonest though, but I probably won't have to be if my screen has indents. My policy covers accidental damage.

And in turn for all the help I received here I hope I gave you a good laugh from my misfortune! :p Turns out it is my sciatic nerve, so it's really a pain to deal with.

anon(386684)

Jul 1, 2011
Visit site
If you put a case on your phone, then you won't even see the damage. Anyway, it's not exactly fraud to get your phone replaced if you do something like this. You don't have to total your car in order to pay your deductible and use your insurance. Keep in mind it's not like they are going to throw this one away, they will replace the housing and use it when someone else makes a claim. If you pay for insurance...why they Hell would you not use it?

thedan862

Oct 30, 2010
Visit site
Call verizion support and complain about speaker issues and after they instruct you to do a factory reset tell them the problem is still there. 2 days later new Rezound at your front door. :D

GNex Girl

Feb 5, 2012
Visit site
This may sound weird, but as much as i love my phone and try to keep it perfect. I feel like it becomes a bit more personal when it gets a little beat up.
Although I get all teary eyed when I scratch a brand new toy for the first time, I have to say the battle scars endear the phone to me.

It is like an old dog. It won't hunt any more and it smells bad, but it has been with you through thick and thin. You can't bring yourself to put it down.

OK, that is overdoing it, lol! But you get the point.

dpham00

Moderator Team VP
Apr 23, 2011
Visit site
Call verizion support and complain about speaker issues and after they instruct you to do a factory reset tell them the problem is still there. 2 days later new Rezound at your front door. :D

And a few weeks later,get charged a few hundred for sending back a cosmetically damaged phone,which isn't covered under warranty.

Apav

Jan 7, 2012
Visit site
And a few weeks later,get charged a few hundred for sending back a cosmetically damaged phone,which isn't covered under warranty.

Would that really happen? I've been told they won't actually care if there is cosmetic damage if there's an actual defect with the phone, which they don't really check.

dpham00

Moderator Team VP
Apr 23, 2011
Visit site
Would that really happen? I've been told they won't actually care if there is cosmetic damage if there's an actual defect with the phone, which they don't really check.

It was some time ago, but when I had my phone sent back for replacement under warranty, they read a disclaimer saying that if there was physical damage not related to the warranty claim such as cosmetic damage, damaged screen, etc., that they could charge you a fee. this is if you get the phone warrantied.

If you go through insurance then you can get the phone replaced, if qualified, but you have to pay a deductible. Insurance explicitly excludes cosmetic damages.

2. This insurance does not apply to loss or damage caused by or resulting from any of
the following:

e. Cosmetic Damage
Cosmetic damage, however caused, that does not affect the manufacturer’s
intended use. This includes, but is not limited to:
(1) Cracking, marring, or scratching.
(2) Change in color or other change in the exterior finish.

http://support.verizonwireless.com/pdf/collateral/893439_ENG_FL_4.pdf

Last edited:

ShaggyKids

Dec 1, 2010
Visit site

I couldn't agree more.

Sent from my Rezound via TapaTalk

thedan862

Oct 30, 2010
Visit site
not gonna happen. past experience proves it. its being returned for speaker malfunction and a note will be placed in the account saying so :)

JimFlyerFan

Jan 21, 2012
Visit site

sorry, but that is not insurance fraud. whether it was his fault or not (hint, in MOST insurance claims, the insured is liable for the damage), that's WHY he has insurance. whether it is damaged a little or a lot, the phone is still damaged and thus covered by the insurance... if he is willing to submit a claim and pay the deductible, then that's his decision, but its NOT fraud.