soooo had it with the Rezound!!!

ShaggyKids

Dec 1, 2010
Visit site
Hi there,

I don't know anymore if the it's the freaking phone, the OTA, lousy batteries or HTC phones in general but I've really had enough of this CRAP. Right now I'm so fed up I can't even think straight. I'm sick to death of having to mess with this thing, I have other things I need to be doing instead of messing with my phone. I'm so far behind in my work right now because of phone problems I have to get this solved SOON! as in IMMEDIATELY.

Spent $200 on my Rezound just over 2 wks ago. First week went fine then the OTA and ever since then I've had nothing but battery drain problems. BUT ... I also downloaded a number of apps all about the same time. I know, there are threads all over on this, the OTA, the battery could be either one OR even a bad phone or HTC brand phones.

Got a new battery from VZW on Friday. At least one thread on these boards said it was the 3.8 battery, this new one is a 3.7. It's no better than the 3.8. Charged it up, took it to work and by halfway thru the shift I had half a battery and the phone had not even been used. So, I started uninstalling most of the apps I'd installed thinking I'd have to narrow down what might be causing the problem. Uninstalled 5 apps including the VZW upgrade thing that supposedly screwed things up, rebooted and I'm down to the yellow for battery life left. I shut the damn thing off for the rest of the night.

I've now had to go 3 places in the past week that I should have taken my phone with me for safety reasons and couldn't because it sitting at home charging.

I'm just over the 2wk period after purchase but I'm not about to accept a refurb after spending $200 on NEW phone.

Supposedly there was FINALLY a fix the the battery issues with the Thunderbolt. I don't know what that is (if you do I'd love to know). I'm tempted to tell VZW to take my Rezound and put it where the sun don't shine and to give me my money back and I'll go back to using my TBolt if the TBolt battery issues are in fact solved.

I don't believe I'm saying this but as long as I currently have both the TBolt and the Rezound in my possession I've even pondered learning to root on one of them but I don't need to be spending a lot of time on that either. I'd also pretty much want a guarantee it's going to fix my problems because this IS NUTS!

I've also thought of switching phone brands. I'm not happy with HTC since both of my Androids have been HTC and had battery issues. But is that the right place to put blame? I dunno.

I'm planning to call VZW this morning but first I'd like to hear from people who have been in my shoes -- what did you do or do you suggest I do (other than rooting for now because I'm afraid to do it and the time it might take to accomplish it)? I want to call VZW armed with a good plan of attack and direction.

Talk to me, please, thanks.
Deb

axne1

Sep 11, 2010
Visit site
Hi there,

I don't know anymore if the it's the freaking phone, the OTA, lousy batteries or HTC phones in general but I've really had enough of this CRAP. Right now I'm so fed up I can't even think straight. I'm sick to death of having to mess with this thing, I have other things I need to be doing instead of messing with my phone. I'm so far behind in my work right now because of phone problems I have to get this solved SOON! as in IMMEDIATELY.

Spent $200 on my Rezound just over 2 wks ago. First week went fine then the OTA and ever since then I've had nothing but battery drain problems. BUT ... I also downloaded a number of apps all about the same time. I know, there are threads all over on this, the OTA, the battery could be either one OR even a bad phone or HTC brand phones.

Got a new battery from VZW on Friday. At least one thread on these boards said it was the 3.8 battery, this new one is a 3.7. It's no better than the 3.8. Charged it up, took it to work and by halfway thru the shift I had half a battery and the phone had not even been used. So, I started uninstalling most of the apps I'd installed thinking I'd have to narrow down what might be causing the problem. Uninstalled 5 apps including the VZW upgrade thing that supposedly screwed things up, rebooted and I'm down to the yellow for battery life left. I shut the damn thing off for the rest of the night.

I've now had to go 3 places in the past week that I should have taken my phone with me for safety reasons and couldn't because it sitting at home charging.

I'm just over the 2wk period after purchase but I'm not about to accept a refurb after spending $200 on NEW phone.

Supposedly there was FINALLY a fix the the battery issues with the Thunderbolt. I don't know what that is (if you do I'd love to know). I'm tempted to tell VZW to take my Rezound and put it where the sun don't shine and to give me my money back and I'll go back to using my TBolt if the TBolt battery issues are in fact solved.

I don't believe I'm saying this but as long as I currently have both the TBolt and the Rezound in my possession I've even pondered learning to root on one of them but I don't need to be spending a lot of time on that either. I'd also pretty much want a guarantee it's going to fix my problems because this IS NUTS!

I've also thought of switching phone brands. I'm not happy with HTC since both of my Androids have been HTC and had battery issues. But is that the right place to put blame? I dunno.

I'm planning to call VZW this morning but first I'd like to hear from people who have been in my shoes -- what did you do or do you suggest I do (other than rooting for now because I'm afraid to do it and the time it might take to accomplish it)? I want to call VZW armed with a good plan of attack and direction.

Talk to me, please, thanks.
Deb

I understand your problems man but it still sounds like its buyers remorse. I know how you feel coming from sprint I had an htc evo 3 d. You can root using the htc unlock method on their website it makes it a lot easier 2 root. At least I think they have that for the resound. I would try my best to get rid of the phone make sure you are very diligent in your request for a new device.

Sent using text to speech Galaxy Nexus.

rootbrain

Oct 13, 2011
Visit site
Don't quite know what to say. This is my 1st Android phone, so HTC is also a 1st. I think the build quality is great. I do think that the stock battery sux, but I got the extended, with case and belt clip from VZ. Took a couple of days to "break it in", basically kept bump charging when it got down under 50%. Working fine now get at least 12 hours, and would get more but I keep fiddling with it, LOL.

I'm unlocked, rooted and on custom ROM (Scotts CleanROM 1.5.5)

Sorry for the problems you have but I'm kewl wit' it. And rockin'

ShaggyKids

Dec 1, 2010
Visit site
When we spend this kind of money on a phone, we shouldn't have to buy an extended battery to get decent battery life. I don't even know if that would cure my problem. I do expect and will demand that VZW do right by me. To have a phone go thru 1/2 a battery in 4 hours when not in use AT ALL other than sitting next to my purse is crazy.

If I request a new BRAND of phone, any suggestions which way to go?

ShaggyKids

Dec 1, 2010
Visit site
I understand your problems man but it still sounds like its buyers remorse. I know how you feel coming from sprint I had an htc evo 3 d. You can root using the htc unlock method on their website it makes it a lot easier 2 root. At least I think they have that for the resound. I would try my best to get rid of the phone make sure you are very diligent in your request for a new device. Sent using text to speech Galaxy Nexus.

Why does it sound like buyer's remorse? I expected to get a decent phone, one that worked better than my TBolt? What's wrong with that?

I can go look on their site, but won't rooting void my warranty?

daruffins

Sep 7, 2011
Visit site
When we spend this kind of money on a phone, we shouldn't have to buy an extended battery to get decent battery life. I don't even know if that would cure my problem. I do expect and will demand that VZW do right by me. To have a phone go thru 1/2 a battery in 4 hours when not in use AT ALL other than sitting next to my purse is crazy.

If battery life is that important to you, see if you can get the RAZR MAXX. Hands down it has the best battery life of any Android phone.

Sent from my DROID RAZR using Tapatalk

ShaggyKids

Dec 1, 2010
Visit site
If battery life is that important to you, see if you can get the RAZR MAXX. Hands down it has the best battery life of any Android phone.

Sent from my DROID RAZR using Tapatalk

Looking at that now, what is the difference between a Touchscreen Virtual Qwerty and a Virtual Qwerty?

rootbrain

Oct 13, 2011
Visit site

Well, not sure how you had yours set up so can't really say why it might do that. But mine wasn't that bad even with the stock battery and stock ROM when I first got it. And I never use wifi, I keep mine on the mobile network only. If they want to charge so much for data, then I'm going the use the heck out of it. Unlimited BTW, so no probs on that.

Is it the phone, the setup or the battery? Or a combination?

buckifvr

Dec 3, 2009
Visit site
I understand your frustration. The Rezound is a great phone but the OTA has really caused alot of problems. I'm unlocked and rooted and running CleanROM 2.3 ICS and get about 16 hours out of stock battery with mild to moderate use. Emails, blogs, texting, surfing. The basics.

Sent from my HTC Rezound using Tapatalk

rootbrain

Oct 13, 2011
Visit site
I understand your frustration. The Rezound is a great phone but the OTA has really caused alot of problems. I'm unlocked and rooted and running CleanROM 2.3 ICS and get about 16 hours out of stock battery with mild to moderate use. Emails, blogs, texting, surfing. The basics.

Sent from my HTC Rezound using Tapatalk

I agree, I think most, if not all, of the battery issues are with the VZ bloatware. Once those are gone, or at least those you won't use, then it's always much better. It's unfortunate that you have to unlock and root to get that crapware off the phone. VZ still trying to push the OTA to my device, but of course they can't now, it always fails. So very glad about that.

Deb, you might check this thread: http://forums.androidcentral.com/ve...on-agent-after-ota-update-battery-killer.html. After the OTA update, many people had a problem. But it really isn't a phone problem.

coolbreeze

Dec 4, 2010
Visit site
Hi there,

Good news is it's just a phone. Nothing more. I understand what you are saying, but you can't let it frustrate you that much. Verizon will seen you a replacement if the one you got is messed up. If you just hate the Rezound, sell it one craigslist, and get one you like. But it's not going to be perfect either...

Sent from my HTC Rezound 4G using Tapatalk

ShaggyKids

Dec 1, 2010
Visit site
Good news is it's just a phone. Nothing more. I understand what you are saying, but you can't let it frustrate you that much. Verizon will seen you a replacement if the one you got is messed up. If you just hate the Rezound, sell it one craigslist, and get one you like. But it's not going to be perfect either...

I need a phone when I need a phone, not have mine living on a charger which is what it's doing and that's no lie. It spends more time on the charger than off. It needs to go *with* me everywhere and keep a decent charge. 4 hours without use draining the battery is not a decent charge/working phone.

I loved the Rezound until this crap happened. I had one week of a decent phone and nothing but battery drain issues since. I'd like to keep it but only if it's working and this one is *not* working right.

I don't think it's to much to expect to have a decent phone for the money. One that I don't have to spend all my time *here* trying fix after fix after fix and get a new battery from VZW only to have the same problems.

If it's this bad on 3G what the hell will it be like when 4G hits my area I gotta wonder?

markymark

Aug 9, 2010
Visit site
I need a phone when I need a phone, not have mine living on a charger which is what it's doing and that's no lie. It spends more time on the charger than off. It needs to go *with* me everywhere and keep a decent charge. 4 hours without use draining the battery is not a decent charge/working phone.

I loved the Rezound until this crap happened. I had one week of a decent phone and nothing but battery drain issues since. I'd like to keep it but only if it's working and this one is *not* working right.

I don't think it's to much to expect to have a decent phone for the money. One that I don't have to spend all my time *here* trying fix after fix after fix and get a new battery from VZW only to have the same problems.

If it's this bad on 3G what the hell will it be like when 4G hits my area I gotta wonder?

I don't have the Rez yet but others have reported that a factory reset fixed the problem. Have you tried that? Just make sure you back everything up first since it will wipe your phone.

Postoid

Nov 26, 2011
Visit site

Hi Deb
Sorry to hear about your phone acting up. After reading your post, I decided to at least let you know that not all of these phones are bad. Now...I don't use my phone for heavy internet use but I do check a few weather sites, andriodcentral, and news like Yahoo. Also do a good portion of email daily as well as a lot of phone calls as this is my only phone for communications (no home phone). I've had the phone for over 2 months with the only download being the latest OTA. NO downloaded apps at all...just PURE stock phone (with all the bloat) and battery. No push settings just using the mobile app when I want to see if any emails come in or to get on the net. Then it gets turned off. 3G only area and always on except when I decide to reset the uptime clock by turning the phone totally off then recharging. Never have done a factory reset or pulled the battery. This is just the way I've used it but so far it's been fantastic. So I think if you do get another phone just leave it STOCK and if it doesn't work out and you like that particular brand or make then demand a NEW replacement. Photo taken this AM.
Don't worry...choose to be happy ;)

Postoid
with a rescued dog myself!

Deron Baker

Dec 5, 2011
Visit site
Your battery should not be draining that much while sitting idle, even with a stock battery. Some setting or background process is doing this.

1. Do you have an automatic task killer? If so, please remove this app or stop it from killing apps/tasks.

2. Do you have any social networking apps running or updating in the background? How often does your social network or emails sync data to your phone?

3. You do have the screen completely timeout and shut the screen off, right? I.e. You don't let the screen merely din when not in use?

4. Please go to your battery use screen in your Settings and tell us what apps or processes are using the most battery power.

5. Please go to your apps and open up Task Manager. What programs are showing loaded into memory currently?

I know this sounds like a lot, and your chief complaint is having to spend too much time fiddling with the settings. But if we can get a lock on what is killing your battery, we might be able to find a permanent solution.. At least until the next update.

Finally, I must put a plug in for the extended battery. It makes life so much easier. In fact I used my upgrade to buy a Razr last year. After being fed up with its poor battery life i ditched it for a Rezound + Extended Battery. Have been very happy with my decision.

Hang in there. I'm certain you'll be able to find the right solution for your situation.

Sent from HTC Rezound using Tapatalk.

Last edited:
Reactions: ShaggyKids

markymark

Aug 9, 2010
Visit site
Hi Deb
Sorry to hear about your phone acting up. After reading your post, I decided to at least let you know that not all of these phones are bad. Now...I don't use my phone for heavy internet use but I do check a few weather sites, andriodcentral, and news like Yahoo. Also do a good portion of email daily as well as a lot of phone calls as this is my only phone for communications (no home phone). I've had the phone for over 2 months with the only download being the latest OTA. NO downloaded apps at all...just PURE stock phone (with all the bloat) and battery. No push settings just using the mobile app when I want to see if any emails come in or to get on the net. Then it gets turned off. 3G only area and always on except when I decide to reset the uptime clock by turning the phone totally off then recharging. Never have done a factory reset or pulled the battery. This is just the way I've used it but so far it's been fantastic. So I think if you do get another phone just leave it STOCK and if it doesn't work out and you like that particular brand or make then demand a NEW replacement. Photo taken this AM.
Don't worry...choose to be happy ;)

Postoid
with a rescued dog myself!

This is very enlightening. Interesting how some people are having problems with the OTA and others are not. My guess is there are certain apps that don't play nice with VLA (or something else in the OTA) and whether or not you have those apps will determine if you have problems.

I would try doing a factory reset and just run stock, for a day or so and see how the battery life is. If it's better, then just re-load your apps a few at a time until you figure out which one breaks it. It could be that just re-installing everything will fix it and you won't have any more problems.

Deron Baker

Dec 5, 2011
Visit site
In response to your other post on the other forum, which is having problems letting me post.

I did love my Rezound before this. But if I factory reset, won't the OTA hit me again? and keeping hitting me until I take it?

I don't think so. Your OTA update is installed as your current operating system. I don't think a factory reset rewinds to a previous operating system. (I just did an OTA update on my Razr yesterday before I turned it over to my GF. I did the OTA update and then factory reset it and the same operating system remained. It did not roll back to the original operating system the Razr had at launch last November.)

The factory reset will rid the phone of any apps or settings you did that might be causing the battery drain issues. It wipes the slate clean. Then begin installing your apps slowly, day by day and see if the battery life drops after installing any particular app.

Sent from HTC Rezound using Tapatalk. from HTC Rezound using Tapatalk.

ShadowCatcher

Jun 2, 2010
Visit site
The Rezound is one of the best all-around phones out there today. Having said that, HTC is known for poor battery life. My Dinc was on a charger all the time. When I bought the Rezound, I just bought the extended battery at the same time (it was on sale). I was really surprised to get a day day and a half - right out of the box - of battery life (not rooted, 3G only, lots of apps downloaded, and medium use).

The OTA screwed up my battery life. With no other changes, it dropped to half day. I tried the VLA download trick and that seemed to help, but not much. Finally did a factory reset (both kinds). That's got me back to pretty good battery life. (factory reset instructions: http://forums.androidcentral.com/ve...ething-new-about-factory-resets-new-post.html). I don't know if it completely fixed the problem or not, but I would try that before going back to Big Red, if you like the phone.

ShaggyKids

Dec 1, 2010
Visit site
Your battery should not be draining that much while sitting idle, even with a stock battery. Some setting or background process is doing this.

That's what I keep thinking. At least it has to be part of the reason if it's not all OTA problems.

1. Do you have an automatic task killer? If so, please remove this app or stop it from killing apps/tasks.
Nothing I've downloaded. I learned w/my TBolt that these are not a good idea. If there's a TK on my phone it came with it

2. Do you have any social networking apps running or updating in the background? How often does your social network or emails sync data to your phone?
I installed K9 mail but for the life of me I can't remember how I got that to be the default mail program on my TBolt. I can see mail in K9, the Mail app that comes w/the phone AND the GMail app that comes w/the phone. I don't neeed 3 different mail programs, one will do fine and I prefer the K9. But if it's a problem, I will learn to live with one of the default mail programs, probably the GMail one if that's the best choice? K9 is set to like 9hrs of what it calls "Quiet Time" when I'm sleeping. I don't know about the others. I use Airplane mode when I'm sleeping, too.

3. You do have the screen completely timeout and shut the screen off, right? I.e. You don't let the screen merely din when not in use?
I use the Screen Off and Lock app. Never use my phone and then set it down leaving the screen on, I always turn it off either with this or the button.

4. Please go to your battery use screen in your Settings and tell us what apps or processes are using the most battery power.
I can tell you what's there now but this is strange because what's using the battery jumps around. Sometimes it's the display, other times it's calls and blah blah blah -- pick something is what I mean and I'm a *very* light user which is another reason this isn't making sense. Screen is set to turn off at 2min just in case I forget but that's very rare like once in a blue moon. Currently its, Display 40%, Android OS 20%, Wi-Fi 15%, Cell Standby 9%, Phone Idle 10%, Phone Idle 8% and K9 Mail 2% but the %'s jumped around while I had the screen on to type in the info here.

5. Please go to your apps and open up Task Manager. What programs are showing loaded into memory currently?
Settings, K-9Mail, DejaOffice, Wordfeud, People Go Contacts EX, Internet and GMail in that order.

I know this sounds like a lot, and your chief complaint is having to spend too much time fiddling with the settings. But if we can get a lock on what is killing your battery, we might be able to find a permanent solution.. At least until the next update.
I'm grateful for your help. I would like to nail down the problem and get on with my life, LOL!

Finally, I must put a plug in for the extended battery. It makes life so much easier. In fact I used my upgrade to buy a Razr last year. After being fed up with its poor battery life i ditched it for a Rezound + Extended Battery. Have been very happy with my decision.
If by extended battery you mean a big bulky heavy thing that I'd need a new door for I'm not going that route. I had to do that with my TBolt and it's one of the top reasons I finally went to the Rezound. If there's a slim extended battery I'll look at it but right now I have no $ to put into anything extra. Would have to wait until the cash flow loosens up.

Hang in there. I'm certain you'll be able to find the right solution for your situation.
I sure hope so! You are so great to help me w/this. I just now uninstalled K9 Mail to see if that helps. I cannot uninstall my DejaOffice, however. My life resides on that calendar, LOL! I will look for other apps I downloaded and uninstall what I can while awaiting your reply.

Deb

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nikoczzzz