Welcome to the Android Central Forums Create Your Account or Ask a Question Answers in 5 minutes - no registration required!
Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast
Like Tree5Likes
  1. Thread Author  Thread Author    #1  
    Deluxe Member

Default Decision Made

I think I have made a decision: I'm going with...the RAZR MAXX (at least initially).

I will give the MAXX a chance to lose this spot. Doesn't hurt that VZW is doing a BOGO on the RAZR and RAZR MAXX (will see if my wife wants to adopt the MAXX as a new work phone). Here is my reasoning, broken down by the 'perks' of the Rezound, then feel free to convince me otherwise:

Screen - Yes, the Rezound is better. But, honestly, is there a true NEED for 720p HD on a smartphone? On TVs (and I'll even say on Tablets and computers), yes, SD to HD is a definite benefit for all. But, with such a small screen, there is really no TRUE need, for me, to have the HD screen (I watch minimal TV/movies on my phone, typically just on trips/vacations). Just because it can be done doesn't mean it has to be done. I do have minimal burn-in concerns on the MAXX, but from what I've read, its more of a temporary ghosting than actual burn-in. I know of ways to fix that. And, Gorilla Glass...nothing wrong there.

Camera - Camera is better on the Rezound, but I don't plan to use the pictures my camera takes for anything more than Facebook or emailing to friends, so I'm not terribly concerned there. Plus, the camera on the MAXX isn't exactly terrible in itself (less native tools, yes, but nothing an app can't fix). And, as I pointed out before, the 'hot' flash on the Rezound (and most HTC devices) is not good. And 2MP on the front-facer of the Rezound v. the 1.3MP on the MAXX is negligible for my use.

Replaceable Battery - With the life the MAXX gets, I'm pretty sure I'll be able to get 2 years out of the MAXX and never have to be concerned about replacing a poorly performing battery. And if I do, I'll be the first to curse my decision.

Sound/Beats - I'm a self-proclaimed audiophile....the crisper my music sounds, the better. So, this is one area I will miss with with the Rezound, being a proclaimed 'music fan phone.' The free beats headphones would have been nice as well, but I think I'll manage.

Screen Shots - The built-in feature on the Rezound is a nice touch, though other than on here and in a few isolated situations, don't really have a consistent need for this feature. Plus, some apps out there that offer it and I assume the Razr will work with these unrooted. But, still will be missed to have it natively included.

Sense - I will miss Sense, but it appeared to semi-cripple the in-store models I messed around with. Its getting too big for its own britches, and HTC needs to do something to scale it back with better functionality. People shat on Blur, and Moto did something about it. Its still kinda Blur, but they streamlined it and made it work well. Sense is all I've known, and I know I'll miss some of its features. But, I welcome the challenge of a new skin.

Hardware - The Rezound is built well, and does have SOME better guts (1.5 GHz, dual core, etc). However, as stated above, Sense renders the internals pointless (or maybe Sense is why it has a stronger and dual processor?). Plus, the radios on the MAXX are better, so that's a plus as well.

That's about it. I welcome your feedback, and I will be around at least until I make the purchase, but you'll be able to find me in the MAXX forums if you need me.

Oh, and thanks for all the help as well! Remember, we'll all on the 'droid side!

Droid Razr Maxx: This is the Droid I'm looking for.

Default Re: Decision Made

I got the rezound for $ 50 on upgrade in November , if I could get the maxx for the same price, then I would consider returning it, but atlas, i am sure that they would laugh at me if I even asked.

Global Posts
    1,303 Global Posts
    ROM
    Stock

U won't regret it. Battery life and signal strength is what swayed me. I miss my Thunderbolt more then I miss my GNex.

Tapatalk via Razr Maxx or GNex

At least you're not falling for the GNex hype. The MAXX is a nice device.It would have been a tough call for me had it been available when I picked up my Rezound. Even now,I'm tempted to sell my Rezound and buy the MAXX after playing around with one instore. The Bionic fiasco really made me wary of Motorola and the original RAZR made too many compromises in the pursuit "Razor" thinness.
    "I'm all jack'd up on Mountain Dew!"
    One Man Wolfpack

Global Posts
    1,001 Global Posts
    ROM
    Stock

The only way I'm trading my Rezound is either if;
    1.) The Droid 4 gets a battery upgrade to match the Razr Maxx
    2.) HTC makes a Rezound, but with a slider

Buying a Motorola phone is a risky proposition, because they backpedaled on unlocking bootloaders and are selling "dev" phones for full price, and they release new phones with incremental upgrades that should've been implemented in the first place.
  6. Thread Author  Thread Author    #6  
    Deluxe Member

Quote Originally Posted by Dovahkiin View Post
    The only way I'm trading my Rezound is either if;
    1.) The Droid 4 gets a battery upgrade to match the Razr Maxx
    2.) HTC makes a Rezound, but with a slider

Buying a Motorola phone is a risky proposition, because they backpedaled on unlocking bootloaders and are selling "dev" phones for full price, and they release new phones with incremental upgrades that should've been implemented in the first place.
    I understand the deal with Moto, but I think I'll be happy with the MAXX regardless (I can only think of them adding a quad core to improve on it...maybe an HD screen as well, but NBD IMO). I'm also aware of their tendency to 'forget' about their older models as time goes on, but what company doesn't? I have friends who had/have the OG Droid and the X, and love/d them to this day. I've had Moto phones before, and have always been impressed with build quality, so I'm not worried with that point either.

As for the bootloader being unlocked, doesn't matter much to me, as I'm not a rooter.

One Man Wolfpack

Global Posts
    1,001 Global Posts
    ROM
    Stock

Quote Originally Posted by MA2GA28 View Post
    I understand the deal with Moto, but I think I'll be happy with the MAXX regardless (I can only think of them adding a quad core to improve on it...maybe an HD screen as well, but NBD IMO). I'm also aware of their tendency to 'forget' about their older models as time goes on, but what company doesn't? I have friends who had/have the OG Droid and the X, and love/d them to this day. I've had Moto phones before, and have always been impressed with build quality, so I'm not worried with that point either.

As for the bootloader being unlocked, doesn't matter much to me, as I'm not a rooter.
    The Moto of yesteryear is NOT the Moto of today. Don't let nostalgia goggles cloud your judgement. But if that's what you choose in the long run, then good for you.
    As far as not being a rooter...what the hell, man? You mean you can live with all that bloat on your phone?
    Journeyman

ROM
    A

I went with Rezound for longevity. Having the bootloader unlocked and a strong dev backing is going to help this phone last me until next august when im eligible for an upgrade. We will have CM9 shortly which imo will make this phone better than the Nexus is every way and will eentually be able to overclock past 2GHZ.
    Follow me on Twitter: @SpaceHippieSays
  9. Thread Author  Thread Author    #9  
    Deluxe Member

Quote Originally Posted by Dovahkiin View Post
    The Moto of yesteryear is NOT the Moto of today. Don't let nostalgia goggles cloud your judgement. But if that's what you choose in the long run, then good for you.
    As far as not being a rooter...what the hell, man? You mean you can live with all that bloat on your phone?
    I get that. Companies change over time, but I don't think build quality has EVER been an issue when talking about a Moto phone.
    I just ignore the Bloatware and delete what I can. Out of sight, out of mind. Most of the programs aren't huge, so there's no space issue. Would I rather not have them? Yes. Would I like to have an option to delete them? Yes. But is it worth it for me, in my day-to-day use? Not really.

Bearded

ROM
    Business Sense ICS

Quote Originally Posted by TitansJonne View Post
    I went with Rezound for longevity. Having the bootloader unlocked and a strong dev backing is going to help this phone last me until next august when im eligible for an upgrade. We will have CM9 shortly which imo will make this phone better than the Nexus is every way and will eentually be able to overclock past 2GHZ.
    I would consider the idea of overclocking these processors past 2gHz to be extremely optimistic. We have to remember that these processors are passively cooled with a tiny heatsink, so heat is an extreme issue. Heat degrades the components and too much will kill the phone in no time flat. Keep in mind as well that not all chips are created equal. When a chip manufacturer selects a default clock speed and voltage, it is selected because ALL of the chips in that particular production run will achieve that. This does not mean all chips can go higher than that. My old DX for example could only overclock to 1.05ghz (stock of 1ghz) before becoming unstable and laggy. Some users managed to get 1.3ghz or even 1.4ghz out of their Droid X's. Same deal with computer CPU's and video card GPU's.

Global Posts
    69 Global Posts

Basically your comments seem like someone trying to talk yourself out of getting a Rezound to get the Maxx or someone with Buyer's remorse. The only thing better on the Maxx is the price.

I think I have made a decision: I'm going with...the RAZR MAXX (at least initially).

I will give the MAXX a chance to lose this spot. Doesn't hurt that VZW is doing a BOGO on the RAZR and RAZR MAXX (will see if my wife wants to adopt the MAXX as a new work phone). Here is my reasoning, broken down by the 'perks' of the Rezound, then feel free to convince me otherwise:

Screen - Yes, the Rezound is better. But, honestly, is there a true NEED for 720p HD on a smartphone? On TVs (and I'll even say on Tablets and computers), yes, SD to HD is a definite benefit for all. But, with such a small screen, there is really no TRUE need, for me, to have the HD screen (I watch minimal TV/movies on my phone, typically just on trips/vacations). Just because it can be done doesn't mean it has to be done. I do have minimal burn-in concerns on the MAXX, but from what I've read, its more of a temporary ghosting than actual burn-in. I know of ways to fix that. And, Gorilla Glass...nothing wrong there.

Camera - Camera is better on the Rezound, but I don't plan to use the pictures my camera takes for anything more than Facebook or emailing to friends, so I'm not terribly concerned there. Plus, the camera on the MAXX isn't exactly terrible in itself (less native tools, yes, but nothing an app can't fix). And, as I pointed out before, the 'hot' flash on the Rezound (and most HTC devices) is not good. And 2MP on the front-facer of the Rezound v. the 1.3MP on the MAXX is negligible for my use.

Replaceable Battery - With the life the MAXX gets, I'm pretty sure I'll be able to get 2 years out of the MAXX and never have to be concerned about replacing a poorly performing battery. And if I do, I'll be the first to curse my decision.

Sound/Beats - I'm a self-proclaimed audiophile....the crisper my music sounds, the better. So, this is one area I will miss with with the Rezound, being a proclaimed 'music fan phone.' The free beats headphones would have been nice as well, but I think I'll manage.

Screen Shots - The built-in feature on the Rezound is a nice touch, though other than on here and in a few isolated situations, don't really have a consistent need for this feature. Plus, some apps out there that offer it and I assume the Razr will work with these unrooted. But, still will be missed to have it natively included.

Sense - I will miss Sense, but it appeared to semi-cripple the in-store models I messed around with. Its getting too big for its own britches, and HTC needs to do something to scale it back with better functionality. People shat on Blur, and Moto did something about it. Its still kinda Blur, but they streamlined it and made it work well. Sense is all I've known, and I know I'll miss some of its features. But, I welcome the challenge of a new skin.

Hardware - The Rezound is built well, and does have SOME better guts (1.5 GHz, dual core, etc). However, as stated above, Sense renders the internals pointless (or maybe Sense is why it has a stronger and dual processor?). Plus, the radios on the MAXX are better, so that's a plus as well.

That's about it. I welcome your feedback, and I will be around at least until I make the purchase, but you'll be able to find me in the MAXX forums if you need me.

Oh, and thanks for all the help as well! Remember, we'll all on the 'droid side!
  12. Thread Author  Thread Author    #12  
    Deluxe Member

Quote Originally Posted by rebelguy View Post
    Basically your comments seem like someone trying to talk yourself out of getting a Rezound to get the Maxx or someone with Buyer's remorse. The only thing better on the Maxx is the price.
    If I had bought the MAXX, you could argue buyer's remorse. But I haven't, so its not.

But, in a sense, I kind of am talking myself out of the Rezound. But, I think I'm doing it for reasons that make sense. I had my heart set on the Rezound from announcement up until as recently as last week. But, with battery life and form-factor being relatively important issues for me, there aren't compelling enough reasons to go with the Rezound instead (which is why I listed the Rezound's best selling points and why those points don't matter much to me, at least relative to the Maxx). The price is better on the Rezound, of course, but I had prepared to pay around $250 my upgrade anyway.

Global Posts
    215 Global Posts
    ROM
    Stock, for now

What do you do that battery life is such a concern? You don't watch movies, are sacrificing your love of audio, and giving up Sense for battery life? To do what, play Angry Birds on the toilet for 20 hours? Are you going to compare quadrant scores with your friends? What is so important about battery life that you're willing to give up all the rest?

You know, i always wonder why people post in the rezound forum that their NOT getting a rezound. Do they think we give a chit? Go post it in the razr maxx forum and stop wasting our time here.
    Bearded

ROM
    Business Sense ICS

Real helpful guys. While I can agree being fed up with the GNexus trolls always coming in and telling us how wonderful their phone is, this fellow seems to be trying to make an educated decision.

Now if he wants battery life, it might be helpful of us to tell him that it is possible to get great battery life on the Rezound, even on the stock ROM.

My phone is great!

Sent using text to speech Galaxy Nexus.

Might not be a bad decision to go Motorola.

Google just bought Motorola.

Quote Originally Posted by xxfallacyxx View Post
    Real helpful guys. While I can agree being fed up with the GNexus trolls always coming in and telling us how wonderful their phone is, this fellow seems to be trying to make an educated decision.

Now if he wants battery life, it might be helpful of us to tell him that it is possible to get great battery life on the Rezound, even on the stock ROM.
    They're not asking for help. They've stated they made up their mind. They should state their reasons there.

Global Posts
    215 Global Posts
    ROM
    Stock, for now

I'm curious as to his hierarchy of features and why he is willing to accept so many lesser features for improved battery life.
  20. Thread Author  Thread Author    #20  
    Deluxe Member

Quote Originally Posted by CMRobinson View Post
    I'm curious as to his hierarchy of features and why he is willing to accept so many lesser features for improved battery life.
    I explained them in the first post, at least the ones where the Rezound gets the nod in most people's eyes. Battery life is important to me. I have the DInc now, and spend most of my day on Wifi. But the so-so battery life on it annoys me, as once I'm off Wifi I know how quickly the battery can drain, even with a low 3G signal. Its a mobile phone, not a 'need to be within arms reach of an outlet' phone.

IMO, the main benefit of the Rezound is the screen, and I admit that it's better. But don't say that I'm 'giving up so much.' It makes it seem like I'm forgoing the Rezound to buy an enV touch. The Maxx isn't exactly a push-over phone.

Global Posts
    118 Global Posts
    ROM
    GummyNex

I explained them in the first post, at least the ones where the Rezound gets the nod in most people's eyes. Battery life is important to me. I have the DInc now, and spend most of my day on Wifi. But the so-so battery life on it annoys me, as once I'm off Wifi I know how quickly the battery can drain, even with a low 3G signal. Its a mobile phone, not a 'need to be within arms reach of an outlet' phone.

IMO, the main benefit of the Rezound is the screen, and I admit that it's better. But don't say that I'm 'giving up so much.' It makes it seem like I'm forgoing the Rezound to buy an enV touch. The Maxx isn't exactly a push-over phone.
    I don't think you're going to regret getting the Maxx one bit. Since getting my Dinc1 at launch, I've gone through it, the Thunderbolt, the Droid Charge, Rezound, and now Maxx. I got the Thunderbolt because I wanted a a bigger screen but the battery and reboots were horrible, so I went to the Charge after a couple of months. That was fine, but I just wanted something snappier so I got the Rezound. This was the first phone I completely loved since my Dinc. The battery life was pretty impressive especially by 4g standards. But I started going back to school this semester and needed something to last me through school and work. I decided to get the Maxx during the BOGO deal so my fiancee could get one too. I have been so impressed with this phone so far that I don't miss my Rezound at all. I've never been a fan of Motorola (been a HTC guy myself) but I do love this phone. Even though it's clocked slower than the Rezound, it's so much snappier and it's probably because Sense is bogging it down. I don't think you'll be disappointed by either phone because their both great, but if it's coming down to battery life then you're not going to regret get the Maxx.

Quote Originally Posted by xxfallacyxx View Post
    I would consider the idea of overclocking these processors past 2gHz to be extremely optimistic. We have to remember that these processors are passively cooled with a tiny heatsink, so heat is an extreme issue. Heat degrades the components and too much will kill the phone in no time flat. Keep in mind as well that not all chips are created equal. When a chip manufacturer selects a default clock speed and voltage, it is selected because ALL of the chips in that particular production run will achieve that. This does not mean all chips can go higher than that. My old DX for example could only overclock to 1.05ghz (stock of 1ghz) before becoming unstable and laggy. Some users managed to get 1.3ghz or even 1.4ghz out of their Droid X's. Same deal with computer CPU's and video card GPU's.
    Well, w/ Ziggys kernel the S3 is stable, maxxing out @1.82ghz. I think the ceiling is 1.83. I don't see anyone pushing it much further than that. I certainly wouldn't expect to see it myself.

.......I just ignore the Bloatware and delete what I can. Out of sight, out of mind. Most of the programs aren't huge, so there's no space issue. Would I rather not have them? Yes. Would I like to have an option to delete them? Yes. But is it worth it for me, in my day-to-day use? Not really.
    If you debloated. You'd see why it's worth it, in day to day use, even minute to minute use, for that matter. Personally, I don't know how you could say, out of sight, out of mind?

ROM
    I don't root.

I used to own the Droid Razr and ditched it in favor or the Rezound + Extended Battery. Mostly because of the Razr's poor battery life. Also I felt the razr was too thin to hold comfortably.

Other than that, the Razr was an excellent phone. The screen may not have the resolution that the Rezound does, but it's display is very good. It looks different from the Rezound.... Not better or worse, just different. I will say that the razr seemed to display web pages with a little better formatting than the Rezound does. The web pages seems to "fit" into the screen better than rezound.

As far as the beats us concerned, I have read that most of it is from a software sound equalizer. You can achieve a comparable output with an app like Power Amp pro. And there are a large selection of quality earbuds cheaper than beats earbuds, yet with equal sound quality. I am using the Klipsch s4 earbuds since my used Rezound did not include the beats earbuds. Fantastic earbuds.

One last thing I noted is that the Razr has a little faster performance than the Rezound.

Sent from HTC Rezound using Tapatalk.
    Droid Razr MAXX HD since Dec 2012.

CMRobinson,

Your post was a subtle but very well-reasoned critique of the OP's arguments. Bravo!

Then you threw in that Angry Birds question and I couldn't stop laughing.

Quote Originally Posted by CMRobinson View Post
    What do you do that battery life is such a concern? You don't watch movies, are sacrificing your love of audio, and giving up Sense for battery life? To do what, play Angry Birds on the toilet for 20 hours? Are you going to compare quadrant scores with your friends? What is so important about battery life that you're willing to give up all the rest?

Sent from my DROID RAZR using Tapatalk
Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast