Welcome to the Android Central Forums Create Your Account or Ask a Question Answers in 5 minutes - no registration required!
  1. Thread Author  Thread Author    #1  

Global Posts
    426 Global Posts

Default Battery life compared to Incredible?

I'm considering picking up a rezound for my wife to replace her dInc. Most of her time with her phone is making calls and texting for her business.
    Who has had both the Rezound and dInc? How do their battery life compare without 4G on since we don't have it in our area?
    She gets by with her battery in the dInc, but a little better would be great. (note : no interest in extended battery as she doesn't like the size).

Default Re: Battery life compared to Incredible?

I bought the Dinc about 2 weeks after it came out and replaced it with the Rezound about 2 weeks after it was introduced. I always had trouble getting through the day with the Dinc - off charger at 6AM and often by 7 in the evening it was at 20% or less. Knowing that HTC has battery life issues, I bought the extended battery with the 'Zound. I used the regular battery for a couple of weeks (I thought the extended added too much bulk) and was really surprised to get a da,y to a day and a half, battery life without any problem (set to CDMA only - no 3G here yet, either and with similar usage as the Dinc). I finally put in the extended battery and often got up to 2 days with a fair amount of charge left. Since the OTA though, battery life has dropped back to where I can get a day to a day and half on the extended battery (see some of the other posts on extending battery life - good stuff in there).

Upshot is - if she likes the Dinc, she will love the 'Zound; and the battery life is, at worst, as good as the Dinc. You might get an extended battery (especially if you can pick it up on sale) and have her try it for a while. A number of members have decided they like the extra size/weight after getting used to it (and if she doesn't, she can go back to the stock battery).

Good luck!

Quote Originally Posted by ShadowCatcher View Post
    I bought the Dinc about 2 weeks after it came out and replaced it with the Rezound about 2 weeks after it was introduced. I always had trouble getting through the day with the Dinc - off charger at 6AM and often by 7 in the evening it was at 20% or less. Knowing that HTC has battery life issues, I bought the extended battery with the 'Zound. I used the regular battery for a couple of weeks (I thought the extended added too much bulk) and was really surprised to get a da,y to a day and a half, battery life without any problem (set to CDMA only - no 3G here yet, either and with similar usage as the Dinc). I finally put in the extended battery and often got up to 2 days with a fair amount of charge left. Since the OTA though, battery life has dropped back to where I can get a day to a day and half on the extended battery (see some of the other posts on extending battery life - good stuff in there).

Upshot is - if she likes the Dinc, she will love the 'Zound; and the battery life is, at worst, as good as the Dinc. You might get an extended battery (especially if you can pick it up on sale) and have her try it for a while. A number of members have decided they like the extra size/weight after getting used to it (and if she doesn't, she can go back to the stock battery).

Good luck!
    I actually think it makes it feel more "substantial". As a woman she might not. I even have a case on mine, the kind with the kickstand from VZ.

Global Posts
    152 Global Posts
    Carrier
    Stock

I have both a Dinc and a Rezound. I definitely get better battery life on the Rezound, and I use the 4G all the time, so I would assume (maybe incorrectly) that with the 4G turned off the battery life would be even better.

FWIW - I'm having a hard time getting used to the Rezound's extra weight and larger size (I've only had it for a week). I'm a woman, and I have long fingers, and I still have trouble as I was used to using the Dinc with one hand, and can't really do that so well with the Rezound. If I didn't need the 4G or lived an an area without it, I would have gotten the Rhyme as it's about the same size as the Dinc, but has a bigger battery and is rated for a longer battery life.
    One Man Wolfpack

Global Posts
    1,001 Global Posts
    Carrier
    Stock

My girlfriend has the DInc, I have the Rezound. I love comparing them both and trying to get her to switch, but she dislikes current phones because of how large they've gotten.
    I can safely say that the Rezound's battery lasts longer than the DInc's. Now if you have 4G on continuously, you're not gonna see much of an improvement.
    HTC seemed to learn their battery lessons on the Thunderbolt and gave some decent effort into battery optimization on the Rezound. If you install a custom ROM, such as CleanROM GBE, you're battery life is gonna be on beast mode.
  6. Thread Author  Thread Author    #6  

Global Posts
    426 Global Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Flur View Post
    I have both a Dinc and a Rezound. I definitely get better battery life on the Rezound, and I use the 4G all the time, so I would assume (maybe incorrectly) that with the 4G turned off the battery life would be even better.

FWIW - I'm having a hard time getting used to the Rezound's extra weight and larger size (I've only had it for a week). I'm a woman, and I have long fingers, and I still have trouble as I was used to using the Dinc with one hand, and can't really do that so well with the Rezound. If I didn't need the 4G or lived an an area without it, I would have gotten the Rhyme as it's about the same size as the Dinc, but has a bigger battery and is rated for a longer battery life.
    Thanks for the input. Do you have a case on yours?
    She would prefer a smaller size, but the questionable call quality reports along with the decent but not great camera are the reasons we haven't considered the Rhyme. If her dInc was better in those 2 areas, she wouldn't have any desire to upgrade, so I hate to move to something only marginally better in those features.

Global Posts
    152 Global Posts
    Carrier
    Stock

I have a gel case on my Dinc, but chose not to put a case on the Rezound because it's so big to begin with. Consequently I'm worried about dropping it - the gel case made the Dinc feel secure in my hand, and the Rezound feels more slick, plus when I'm using it one-handed I have to move it up and down my hand to be able to reach all the parts of the screen and the buttons.

I also decided against the Rhyme because the camera is lower quality than the Dinc - I'd forgotten about that. I didn't know about the call quality issues.

I'm having a lot of issues with the bluetooth connecting in my car - it's completely unreliable and I've had to re-pair about a dozen times already. I never had that issue with my Dinc. At this point, because of the size and weight, and the bluetooth issues, and the screen flicker I've been seeing, plus the fact that there may be new phones on the horizon with Sense 4 and ICS, I'm considering going back to my Dinc for a while. It still works great, and while I would like something new, I want my new phone to be something that I love as much as I loved my Dinc when it was new. After all, I'm going to have that new phone for 2 years.

Just my experience, you mileage may vary. Hope it helps tho.

Just tossing it out there, but if she's not too keen on the Rezound's size, maybe you could get her the DInc2 on the cheap. It's supposed to have better battery life than the DInc.

What about the Droid RAZR Maxx? She wouldn't have any battery issues there, and it seems to be smaller than the Rezound+Extended Battery. Other than the pentile screen it seems to be a rather nice phone.

Sent from my Sinclair ZX-80 using Tapatalk

I am actually getting better life out of stock battery on rez than on Dinc with extended battery. Thanks to the forums here and some non rooted settings tinkering. And I'm a fairly heavy user.
  11. Thread Author  Thread Author    #11  

Global Posts
    426 Global Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Flur View Post
    I have a gel case on my Dinc, but chose not to put a case on the Rezound because it's so big to begin with. Consequently I'm worried about dropping it - the gel case made the Dinc feel secure in my hand, and the Rezound feels more slick, plus when I'm using it one-handed I have to move it up and down my hand to be able to reach all the parts of the screen and the buttons.

I also decided against the Rhyme because the camera is lower quality than the Dinc - I'd forgotten about that. I didn't know about the call quality issues.

I'm having a lot of issues with the bluetooth connecting in my car - it's completely unreliable and I've had to re-pair about a dozen times already. I never had that issue with my Dinc. At this point, because of the size and weight, and the bluetooth issues, and the screen flicker I've been seeing, plus the fact that there may be new phones on the horizon with Sense 4 and ICS, I'm considering going back to my Dinc for a while. It still works great, and while I would like something new, I want my new phone to be something that I love as much as I loved my Dinc when it was new. After all, I'm going to have that new phone for 2 years.

Just my experience, you mileage may vary. Hope it helps tho.

Have a lot of other people complained about the bluetooth? I don't remember seeing anything.

Thanks a lot for your info from a woman's perspective!

What about the Droid RAZR Maxx? She wouldn't have any battery issues there, and it seems to be smaller than the Rezound+Extended Battery. Other than the pentile screen it seems to be a rather nice phone.
    Camera on the Maxx is barely better than the dInc, so it's ruled out.

Just tossing it out there, but if she's not too keen on the Rezound's size, maybe you could get her the DInc2 on the cheap. It's supposed to have better battery life than the DInc.
    I've thought about this, but I hate getting something this far after release.

Thanks everyone for your input!! I think I'll see what gets announced this weekend then we'll make a decision.

Quote Originally Posted by shepx2 View Post
    I'm considering picking up a rezound for my wife to replace her dInc. Most of her time with her phone is making calls and texting for her business.
    Who has had both the Rezound and dInc? How do their battery life compare without 4G on since we don't have it in our area?
    She gets by with her battery in the dInc, but a little better would be great. (note : no interest in extended battery as she doesn't like the size).
    I don't have a dInc to compare it to but the Rezound works really well for phone, emailing, and net for me. The standard battery works good...with some phone settings like screen time-out of 30 seconds, Brightness on Auto during the day and < 15% at night. Display is a big drain. Hope she goes for the Rezound.

Global Posts
    527 Global Posts

Have a lot of other people complained about the bluetooth? I don't remember seeing anything.

Thanks everyone for your input!! I think I'll see what gets announced this weekend then we'll make a decision.
    The Dinc 2 is an excellent recommendation (in fact, HTC just announced ICS for it). It's only 7 months old, 2nd Gen Snapdragon, 768 MB Ram, comes with 16 GB Micro SD. Battery life is excellent, easily get day without any optimization (BT, GPS, WiFi and 3G all on all day). You can probably get it for free (that's how I got mine) and the size is perfect - I think all the new superphones are way too big. Unless you really want battery sucking 4G this is the best 3G phone on Verizon - I do think I'll probably want something new in a year (lasted 2+ with my last dumb phone).

I don't think the camera on the maxx is anywhere close to the incredible, the DInc had a great camera, but that's just my opinion.

And I have the same reservations about getting phones late, which is why when I do get phones this far after release I usually just get them off ebay/forums (to have that paypal security) to preserve my update (i'm actually in the process of doing that now). Like the poster above me said, the DInc2 is a very solid phone with more plusses than minuses. Go to Swappa.com and pick one up for cheap off contract, they have two on there now for $230-$275 and you can hold on to your upgrade a bit longer.

If you do end up with the Rezound, since you said you don't have 4G yet, make sure the first thing you do is turn it off on the phone.

Global Posts
    152 Global Posts
    Carrier
    Stock

Nope, not with a stock rezound. The complaints I've seen have been about the sound quality, not the connection, and I actually resolved my connection issue this morning. So, if she uses a bluetooth headset a lot you might want to do a search in these forums for more info on the sound quality issues, but don't worry about the connection, that was just me.

Carrier
    Stock until 4.0.4 hits

Is she using the extended battery that is the same size as the stock battery? I've only had my Rezound for 2 days but I've had my DInc for two years... first and best thing I did was change the laughable stock battery (1300 mAh) with the battery from Seidio (1750 mAh) -- fits under the stock cover, no fuss, no muss.

Tough to say if my Rezound battery is better or worse at the moment -- still in the honeymoon phase

I do not live in a 4G area (my little podunk town wont get 4G until two weeks after Hell freezes over.)