Welcome to the Android Central Forums Create Your Account or Ask a Question Answers in 5 minutes - no registration required!
Like Tree1Likes
  • 1 Post By graymonkey44
  1. Thread Author  Thread Author    #1  

Default R.I.P. Beats Earbuds

This is so disappointing!

I've had my Rezound since Black Friday. After only three months of use, the Beats earbuds that came with the phone are dead. Well, actually, just one of the buds stopped working (which makes them useless either way). They were a great set of headphones. I assume there is no warranty on them, because they were a "gift" with the phone?

Any other Rezound owners on here have a similar experience?

-mcskipp

Arrow Re: R.I.P. Beats Earbuds

Quote Originally Posted by mcskipp View Post
    This is so disappointing!

I've had my Rezound since Black Friday. After only three months of use, the Beats earbuds that came with the phone are dead. Well, actually, just one of the buds stopped working (which makes them useless either way). They were a great set of headphones. I assume there is no warranty on them, because they were a "gift" with the phone?

Any other Rezound owners on here have a similar experience?

-mcskipp
    Why on Earth would you simply assume there is no warranty? They quit working therefore they are defective. Contact the manufacturer, go to their www and email them. can't hurt to ask. It's not like these earbuds are $5 & made by Coby or something. They have $100 retail value. They must have some kind of warranty on their product even if it's expired now.
  3. Thread Author  Thread Author    #3  

Default Re: R.I.P. Beats Earbuds

I will have to investigate. I assumed there was no warranty because warranties are usually applied to things you pay for, right? These earbuds are a promotional gift that were included with the phone. I wouldn't think they would be obligated to put a warranty on something the customer didn't pay for?

But, it's definitely worth a shot! I will report back with my findings later

-mcskipp

ROM
    HTC One (Verizon) Stock

Quote Originally Posted by mcskipp View Post
    I will have to investigate. I assumed there was no warranty because warranties are usually applied to things you pay for, right? These earbuds are a promotional gift that were included with the phone. I wouldn't think they would be obligated to put a warranty on something the customer didn't pay for?

But, it's definitely worth a shot! I will report back with my findings later

-mcskipp
    That stinks but definitely let us know.

Also, in the initial review of the Rezound that Phil did (I think it was Phil) he warned that the build quality of the Beats earbuds "seem destined to fail." I kinda thought the same thing when I took mine out of the box, unfortunately you're experience is proving that to be true. I find my almost two year old $70 Klipsch earbuds to be quite a bit sturdier and relegate my Beats buds to my travel bag.

Global Posts
    38 Global Posts

I have a pair of noisehush nx80. Sound quality is great, including bass, excellent when making a phone call(they cancel out external noise) and half the price of beats. Oh yeah, I've had em for about a year now and no issues.
    Journeyman

ROM
    A

The beats are't a promo gift. They are part of the retail packaging. They should be covered, just like the charger and battery.
    Follow me on Twitter: @SpaceHippieSays
  7. Thread Author  Thread Author    #7  

Blah.

Well, I called VZW customer service. The rep said this is the first time she's had this question, and she told me to call the store where I purchased my Rezound.

I called the store and they said all the earbuds come prepackaged with the phones. They directed me to call customer service.

And thus the dance begins. The reps I talked to agreed with me, the entire marketing scheme behind the Rezound is the Beats/Music concept. They all agreed there should be a replacement policy, but no one knows anything about it (considering the Rezound is only three months old).

I am going to contact Monster tomorrow.

-mcskipp

I agree. If you were to read the Rezound user manual (and who does anymore) the word 'Rezound' is always accompanied by 'Beats Audio.' The two are intertwined. It was seen as an integral part of the phone's branding.

The way I see told the ear buds have a 1 year warranty just like the phone.

Sent from my Rezound using Tapatalk.

I decided to make an account just to help the OP out and make anyone else aware that you can get replacement ibeats and they are covered under a 1 year warranty just like the phone.

Here's a thread to prove it.

Replacement ibeats - xda-developers

The people called 611 and recieved the real ibeats, which are apparently better than the ones we get with the rezound.
    Thanked by 4:
    JeffDenver likes this.

I purchased a Rezound for my wife about a month ago. After two weeks the left ibeats earbud quit working. Normally not a big deal, just go buy a quick replacement. Well, she really, really likes the ibeats, so I called verizon. Their initial fix was to send a set of after market ibeats as a replacement (NOTE: Verizon DOES NOT SELL THE IBEATS COME PACKAGED WITH THE REZOUND).

Unfortunately, the ibeats Verizon sent us are not compatible with Droids. The earbuds work just fine as a set of headphones, but the in-line song changers do not work with the droid music software. If it were me, I'd be just fine, as the sound on these suckers is fantastic, but she wants to be able to change songs, too. So, I call Verizon back again.

After two separate calls to Verizon techs support, it turns out that the only way to get replacements for defective rezound ibeats is to get them directly from HTC. Verizon can arrange this exchange as long as you still have the originals. Since, I mailed the orginals back when we received the replacements (after market for iPhone, as I mentioned before) the only fix is for me to order the correct ibeats and verizon will credit my bill for the amount I spend.

This is kind of a klunky fix, but the moral of the story is that the originals can be replaced, but make sure that when you contact Verizon you are adamant that they contact HTC to make sure you get the CORRECT replacements.

13. Thread Author  Thread Author    #13  

I just received my replacement buds from HTC. Exact same thing that came with my Rezound. Same buds, pouch, ear covers, etc. Very easy process! I'm quite pleased with how efficient they were (once I actually found out who to contact).

+1 for HTC!

-mcskipp
  14. Thread Author  Thread Author    #14  

BTW, check out my newer post on this for more info. Don't even bother with Verizon. Call the HTC Accessory Replacement Dept. You will have your new buds in no time.

866-449-8358

-mcskipp
  15. Thread Author  Thread Author    #15  

In case you are having trouble finding my newer post, I will paste it here for ya:

"Some of you may remember a few weeks ago, I posted about how the Beats earbuds that came with my Rezound had stopped working. I finally got it squared away. Please take note, in case you buds break too.

The headphones have a 1-year warranty through HTC. After being passed around from the Verizon store to Customer Service to Monster and back around again, I was finally given this phone number:

1-866-449-8358

This the department at HTC that deals with these issues. Once they verify your information, you have two options.

1) You mail the broken headphones to them on your dime, any mailing method. They have to receive the headphones within 30 days of the claim being filed. Once they receive your faulty buds, they will mail a new set back (shipping cost on them).

2) You can give them your credit card number. They will hold $1 on it and send out your new headphones immediately. If they don't receive your broken headphones within 30 days, they will charge $109 to your account.

I chose option 1 (duh, lol). So there it is, guys and gals. What a mess that was. Just glad I'm not stuck with a pair of dead headphones.

-mcskipp"

I'll sell ya mine! I never use them, too muddy for my taste...

I just received replacement headphones yesterday. I've only had the phone since Easter, and I used the earphones about 3 times. The left earbud just stopped working. You could jiggle the wire and get it working, but it would cut out shortly after.

I called VZW (*611) and they sent out a new pair. Said they are under warranty for 1 year. I just need to send the broken ones back so they can check for damage. If you don't send them back, they charge you for them.....just the same as a phone replacement.

I can tell you the replacement set are DEFINITELY of better quality. The buds themselves are heavier, they come with more ear attachments, and they are silver/metal instead of black. They sound just the same, but I think the build quality is better on these. Unfortunately, the forward/back track buttons don't work. Only the play/pause.
    Devices:

Rooted HTC Droid Incredible
    Rooted Nook Color
    Rooted HTC Rezound
    Soon to be rooted Galaxy S4

I hardly even use mine, seems if I do anything active at all with them they constantly pop out

Quote Originally Posted by Keithwg24 View Post
    I hardly even use mine, seems if I do anything active at all with them they constantly pop out
    Did you swap the rubber pieces for another size? I had the same problem til I tried a smaller set of rubber - they form a better seal & hold well.

Sent from my ADR6425LVW using Tapatalk 2
    Palm Treo 650 > Treo 700p > BB Curve 8330 > DInc (r) > Rezound (r) > OG Moto X
    Transformer Pad Infinity (r)

If the originals crap out like that it is a design flaw, I'd be looking to smash the real Ibeats from big red the first chance I get. I had some cheapo pair of head phones that had the same left ear cut out three pairs in a row within a few months. I also remember reading that the real beats from VZW will work correctly with the download of an app...otherwise get ready for the phones to die out again and again...

Sent from my SCH-I510 using Tapatalk 2

Thanks for the great info, I had the same problem and just assumed I wasn't able to get them replaced. After purchasing two different brands of earphones that didn't work (microphone/music control button) I found your post. Just called HTC and I am on my way to replacement earphones.

Thanks again!!! 88MCSS