Welcome to the Android Central Forums Create Your Account or Ask a Question Answers in 5 minutes - no registration required!
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Like Tree3Likes
  1. Thread Author  Thread Author    #1  

Default Can't Rent Movies from Google if Rooted

flying tomorrow and went to rent a movie from the android market. had to download play movies. when i installed that, said i could not rent movies because i was rooted.

google getting more like apple. screw them.

give Play Movies a 1 star review, at this point more than half of them are 1-star reviews from rooted people that pretty much want to legitimately PAY to rent a movie. like myself.
    Bearded

ROM
    Business Sense ICS

Default Re: Can't Rent Movies from Google if Rooted

Curious, did it ask for superuser access?

I think this has been the case since day one.

Sent from my HTC Rezound 4G using Tapatalk

Global Posts
    1,596 Global Posts
    ROM
    CleanROM 4.5 Pro

Quote Originally Posted by xxfallacyxx View Post
    Curious, did it ask for superuser access?
    I have this problem as well, not that I would use it much, but no it did not ask for superuser access. The app knew I was rooted and said it would not work. That's it.
    Yesterday is but a dream, Tomorrow is but a vision, but Today well lived makes every Yesterday a dream of happiness and every Tomorrow a vision of hope.

Quote Originally Posted by buckifvr View Post
    I have this problem as well, not that I would use it much, but no it did not ask for superuser access. The app knew I was rooted and said it would not work. That's it.
    ^this
    Mr Fix-It

ROM
    Stock Rooted

They're assuming(mostly correctly) that a rooted user may circumvent their DRM and copy the protected movie content. So they're protecting their investment...makes sense to me. Put a script on your phone to move superuser.apk to a backup directory. Watch your movie, then move it back...
    Around here, however, we don't look backwards for very long.
    We keep moving forward, opening up new doors and doing new things,
    because we're curious...and curiosity keeps leading us down new paths.

-Walt Disney
    One Man Wolfpack

Global Posts
    1,001 Global Posts
    ROM
    Stock

Quote Originally Posted by MrSmith317 View Post
    They're assuming(mostly correctly) that a rooted user may circumvent their DRM and copy the protected movie content. So they're protecting their investment...makes sense to me. Put a script on your phone to move superuser.apk to a backup directory. Watch your movie, then move it back...
    The situation here is crap. As Android users, we pretty much need to root to get anything done. But in order to rent movies, we're not allowed to root. Would people give up rooting for movie rentals? No. So the only other paths are either pirating, or no rental at all, which means no monetary transaction. Ball's in your court, Google.

Quote Originally Posted by Dovahkiin View Post
    The situation here is crap. As Android users, we pretty much need to root to get anything done. But in order to rent movies, we're not allowed to root. Would people give up rooting for movie rentals? No. So the only other paths are either pirating, or no rental at all, which means no monetary transaction. Ball's in your court, Google.
    I'm not rooted and I get everything done that I want to get done. People who root their phones constitute a small minority of users. Why should Google bend over backwards to appease a tiny percentage of users?

Sent from my Rezound using Tapatalk
    Thanked by:

Quote Originally Posted by Paradocks View Post
    I'm not rooted and I get everything done that I want to get done. People who root their phones constitute a small minority of users. Why should Google bend over backwards to appease a tiny percentage of users?

Not sure what you're reading. Who asked anyone to bend over backwards to appease them? They offer rooted users software in the market so it makes little sense to block access to parts of the market for the crime of putting them to use being rooted. It's silly to offer it and ban you foe usibg it in an open source environment. To be honest, I could give a turd about Google movies. I never would've known about this whole topic had I not read the OP and tried it myself. I'm unafffected by using the market for movies, My only worry arises if this starts spreading w/ all this SOPA & piracy paranoia floating around these days. What's next?
    Retired Moderator

Global Posts
    10,930 Global Posts
    ROM
    What do you think?

Quote Originally Posted by humpagardengnome View Post
    Not sure what you're reading. Who asked anyone to bend over backwards to appease them? They offer rooted users software in the market so it makes little sense to block access to parts of the market for the crime of putting them to use being rooted. It's silly to offer it and ban you foe usibg it in an open source environment. To be honest, I could give a turd about Google movies. I never would've known about this whole topic had I not read the OP and tried it myself. I'm unafffected by using the market for movies, My only worry arises if this starts spreading w/ all this SOPA & piracy paranoia floating around these days. What's next?
    I don't think it has anything to do with SOPA/piracy paranoia (at least from Google's perspective), but more with the contracts/agreements with the studios who enable rentals. They probably won't nothing to do with circumvention, so as a term of the agreement had it so rooted users cannot rent movies so as to find a workaround for the DRM.

Global Posts
    1,596 Global Posts
    ROM
    CleanROM 4.5 Pro

So if superuser is not on the phone we can get a movie? Where would I find a "script" like that?
    Yesterday is but a dream, Tomorrow is but a vision, but Today well lived makes every Yesterday a dream of happiness and every Tomorrow a vision of hope.

Quote Originally Posted by dmmarck View Post
    I don't think it has anything to do with SOPA/piracy paranoia (at least from Google's perspective), but more with the contracts/agreements with the studios who enable rentals. They probably won't nothing to do with circumvention, so as a term of the agreement had it so rooted users cannot rent movies so as to find a workaround for the DRM.
    Piracy is the whole reason behind this from Googles perspective. Threats of Youtue lawsuits ring any bells?
    Retired Moderator

Global Posts
    10,930 Global Posts
    ROM
    What do you think?

Piracy is the whole reason behind this from Googles perspective. Threats of Youtue lawsuits ring any bells?
    It might be an incidental thing, but to presume that the studios would let Google disseminate rental copies of movies with easy DRM get-arounds is a bit naive IMHO. You have to remember, with online/digital rentals, the studios are truly in control. Thank Netflix for that, for them realizing how big of a market exists for this type of thing.

There's literally no incentive for studios to "rent" to Google unless they're guaranteed the utmost security. Without that guarantee, I can't see them doing it. Thus, while Google may have some minor worries about piracy, knowing how these types of negotiations have played out leads me to believe that the brunt of this worry is directly from the studios, producers, etc. etc.
    Mr Fix-It

ROM
    Stock Rooted

Quote Originally Posted by buckifvr View Post
    So if superuser is not on the phone we can get a movie? Where would I find a "script" like that?
    I wouldn't pay to rent a movie...ever lol. I'm assuming this would work. But you'd just need a script like:

mount -o remount,rw /system
    mkdir /system/app/Backup
    mv /system/app/Superuser.apk /system/app/Backup
    busybox read -p "Press [Enter] key to move superuser back..."
    mv /system/app/Backup/Superuser.apk /system/app/
    busybox rmdir /system/app/Backup

-Walt Disney
    One Man Wolfpack

Global Posts
    1,001 Global Posts
    ROM
    Stock

Quote Originally Posted by Paradocks View Post

I never suggested Google break its back for anyone.
    And if you recall, Google touts the freedom of Android as one of its selling points. To suddenly treat the freedom of rooting/unlocking as a detriment to daily operations on the phone is, well, stupid.
    The better solution is to create another form of copy protection instead of just blocking out a chunk of users entirely.
    Oh, and your definition of getting "everything done" is not necessarily anyone else's definition of "everything done." Come talk to us when your unrooted Rezound can flash ROMs or use superuser-dependent apps.
    Alma and humpagardengnome like this.

Quote Originally Posted by dmmarck View Post
    It might be an incidental thing, but to presume that the studios would let Google disseminate rental copies of movies with easy DRM get-arounds is a bit naive IMHO. You have to remember, with online/digital rentals, the studios are truly in control. Thank Netflix for that, for them realizing how big of a market exists for this type of thing.

There's literally no incentive for studios to "rent" to Google unless they're guaranteed the utmost security. Without that guarantee, I can't see them doing it. Thus, while Google may have some minor worries about piracy, knowing how these types of negotiations have played out leads me to believe that the brunt of this worry is directly from the studios, producers, etc. etc.
    It's obviously an appeasement to objections from outside sources. My only concern is with Android being open to development it can lead to bigger problems down the line. It's nice to have safeguards in place to appease them but the more this happens and loopholes are put to use. It kind of villainizes those who root b/c we are forced to use them. I just don't want to see it become an issue at some point.
    Dovahkiin likes this.
    Retired Moderator

Global Posts
    10,930 Global Posts
    ROM
    What do you think?

It's obviously an appeasement to objections from outside sources. My only concern is with Android being open to development it can lead to bigger problems down the line. It's nice to have safeguards in place to appease them but the more this happens and loopholes are put to use. It kind of villainizes those who root b/c we are forced to use them. I just don't want to see it become an issue at some point.
    I absolutely agree with you there. The same type of argument/objections can be applied to the fact that rooted users can no longer use Wallet apparently. I mean really? Use a pin. Just use a freaking pin.
    Mr Fix-It

ROM
    Stock Rooted

Rooted users can't use wallet because if you're rooted and someone gets your phone they can steal your wallet info and possibly more. The rooting issue with DRM is more akin to stopping someone from walking into a movie theatre with a camera tripod. They may not have a camera but the tripod sure does make them look suspicious.

-Walt Disney

Global Posts
    1,596 Global Posts
    ROM
    CleanROM 4.5 Pro

I wouldn't pay to rent a movie...ever lol. I'm assuming this would work. But you'd just need a script like:

mount -o remount,rw /system
    mkdir /system/app/Backup
    mv /system/app/Superuser.apk /system/app/Backup
    busybox read -p "Press [Enter] key to move superuser back..."
    mv /system/app/Backup/Superuser.apk /system/app/
    busybox rmdir /system/app/Backup
    lol, odds are I won't rent a movie, but its nice to know that I can if for some strange reason I want to. Thanks
    Retired Moderator

Global Posts
    10,930 Global Posts
    ROM
    What do you think?

Rooted users can't use wallet because if you're rooted and someone gets your phone they can steal your wallet info and possibly more. The rooting issue with DRM is more akin to stopping someone from walking into a movie theatre with a camera tripod. They may not have a camera but the tripod sure does make them look suspicious.
    No doubt. There's a variety of ways to do it, but having a pin on there certainly stops a couple of them.

Strange, I would think this would influence people to pirate movies.

I can't rent a movie on my phone? Oh, ok, no problem, I'll just go get it for free then. \o/

When will these companies realize DRM does nothing but inconvenience legitimate users.

Question Re: Can't Rent Movies from Google if Rooted

Quote Originally Posted by tehsquishmeister View Post
    Strange, I would think this would influence people to pirate movies.

I can't rent a movie on my phone? Oh, ok, no problem, I'll just go get it for free then. \o/

When will these companies realize DRM does nothing but inconvenience legitimate users.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Can't Rent Movies from Google if Rooted-flying_pig.jpg  

Not to rub it in, but I can rent and play movies just fine and I am rooted with an Unlocked bootloader.
    What normally happens when you try to rent....are you rejected?

Could it be that Google is turning a blind eye to those that have a GN with stock ICS?

I found a hacked version of Google Movies that worked when I had my rooted DX but it may not work since everything was updated to the "Google PLAY" brand. Would someone be willing to PM me their gmail address so I can send it? I haven't had a reson to use it since I am no longer using my DX, but it may work on the Rezound for those that want to try it.

Id hardly blame google in this whole thing. Its almost surely the fault of the movie companies requiring this of google. Remember when netflix came out for android and it only supported like 3 phones because there was no real way to do DRM?

Sure, you can give the app 1 star all you want because of this but honestly i dont see it changing anything. If they changed the app to work on rooted devices there would likely end up being no movies to rent anymore.

I have a razr that is bone stock, and I can't watch the movies i've rented says, unable to fetch license...
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast