MHL adapter data behavior.

dgcamero

Sep 17, 2010
Visit site
I have a generic MHL adapter. It seems to function just fine, but whenever I connect my phone to the TV, my wifi stops working, and if I was on 4G, it switches to 3G. Is this supposed to happen?

humpagardengnome

Oct 24, 2011
Visit site
It's been around since the tech. hit the scene. Unfortunately, there is no clear cut answer on a cause or the solution. It's such a crapshoot to get it working, it seems like it's just luck of the draw. Some get it working flawless from the get go. While others are forced to try different cables & adapters, to get it working. Some simply turn off mobile data and get it working on wifi. Others have all data connectivity disabled just plugging in. Some can surf the web w/ it others can't. It's even an issue with many who bought the "official" product for their phone. It's an issue for oems, whether it's on stock or rooted devices w/ output capabilities. Some root users get faulty adapters working by swapping kernals. I don't know what to tell you but keep plugging away at it. Solutions run the gamut, you'll just have to find yours.

vaughn71

May 14, 2011
Visit site
I just picked one up last night for my GSM Galaxy Nexus and noticed that I lost wifi too. 3G worked no problem. Video I had on my phone looked great though. Very impressed with that.

humpagardengnome

Oct 24, 2011
Visit site
I just picked one up last night for my GSM Galaxy Nexus and noticed that I lost wifi too. 3G worked no problem. Video I had on my phone looked great though. Very impressed with that.

Sammie seems to be the oem that has the most complaintants on the issue. One interesting thing I've read about the issue on Samsung phones is that some owners who contacted Samsung tech. support were told it was blocked, by design, from using wifi on some 3rd party cables and adapters, by default. Saying it was done to prevent stuttering/flickering in use. Not sure if that's to get people to buy theirs over other brands or what?

dpham00

Moderator Team VP
Apr 23, 2011
Visit site
i noticed on my rezound, when i plugged in the mhl, it would automatically switch to wifi, but I could manually disable wifi. I too noticed that it was kind of finicky, sometimes works okay, other times, not so much.

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
bnutz