Welcome to the Android Central Forums Create Your Account or Ask a Question Answers in 5 minutes - no registration required!
  1. Thread Author  Thread Author    #1  

Default Re-lock bootloader

My phone is currently un-locked but not rooted. When the ICS OTA becomes available, will I have to re-lock before downloading it? Thanks.

Default Re: Re-lock bootloader

Quote Originally Posted by craZhorse View Post
    My phone is currently un-locked but not rooted. When the ICS OTA becomes available, will I have to re-lock before downloading it? Thanks.
    Since root users need to revert to stock to install the updated radios in the OTA. It would seem to me, you'll have to be locked and fully stock to install the OTA. It's never worked for me in the past unless I locked it down, again.
  3. Thread Author  Thread Author    #3  

Ok thanks. I unlocked it using HTCDev so do I go back through that process to re-lock or is there a simplyier way to re-lock. Damn I hate being so stupid on this stuff.

Quote Originally Posted by craZhorse View Post
    Ok thanks. I unlocked it using HTCDev so do I go back through that process to re-lock or is there a simplyier way to re-lock. Damn I hate being so stupid on this stuff.
    Yeah, that's your safest option, just head back over there when the time comes. Your not dumb to ask questions. I can't tell you how many times I've been stupid enough to do something w/ out inquiring while rooted and found myself stuck or "soft" bricked. Dunce cap is often found atop my noggin and fits way to snug, occasionally.

Quote Originally Posted by humpagardengnome View Post
    Since root users need to revert to stock to install the updated radios in the OTA. It would seem to me, you'll have to be locked and fully stock to install the OTA. It's never worked for me in the past unless I locked it down, again.
    just out of curiosity, did you ever try to install an older radio?

Quote Originally Posted by dpham00 View Post
    just out of curiosity, did you ever try to install an older radio?
    No, I wouldn't knowingly put myself in a position, forced to do that. That sounds like it could be problematic for locked users b/c the firmware will update along w/ the upgrade. That sounds like a hassle to go through just to revert radios. I'm sticking w/ a custom rom until after I see the OTA get pushed to avoid any headaches and hear a consensus on it. Verizon could very well add something that will break root in the ICS update. They just did it to the DX. So I wouldn't put it past them. I'll lay low till the coast is clear.

they did the same on the tb with the gb update.

ROM
    Viper

What would be involved with relocking? I have not unlocked yet, but read the how-tos several times on how to do it with htcdev.

Quote Originally Posted by NoYankees44 View Post
    What would be involved with relocking? I have not unlocked yet, but read the how-tos several times on how to do it with htcdev.
    Open a command prompt and type some actions, it's pretty much, as simple as that. Depending on what you did on your phone once unlocked. If you did not root, your relocked and good to go.

Open a command prompt and type some actions, it's pretty much, as simple as that. Depending on what you did on your phone once unlocked. If you did not root, your relocked and good to go.
    Now what about if you are running a custom rom?

ROM
    To embarrassed to say

Quote Originally Posted by coldmack View Post
    Now what about if you are running a custom rom?
    It's the same thing no matter how you are. If you kept your folder intact from when you unlocked and rooted, everything is a piece of cake, you should still have your custom recovery, your unlock code, adb, etc.

So the process for getting an over the air update, is

Run a stock RUU, lock, get update, redo everything.

For the last leaked firmware it was.

Lock, run leaked ruu from bootloader, unlock, install recovery, and done.

Scrossler has more in depth instructions for both if you want the full instructions.
    Thanked by:

Yes I would.

ROM
    To embarrassed to say

Here is his site on getting the leak from a rooted state

[HOW TO] Prepare for CleanROM 4.0 Update

I'm not gonna write all this stuff back out, when it's already out there. XDA is your friend when it comes to this stuff. Read those threads over there, there is a ton of info.

Quote Originally Posted by NoYankees44 View Post
    No one really answered, so for the benefit of those using the Android SDK and fastboot / adb, just boot to fastboot, and type the command fastboot oem lock in the terminal window. The phone will reboot to fastboot with "** RELOCKED **" annunciated at the top.
    Sent by accident, not using the Android Central app
    Nexus 4 (Mako), Amaze 4G on T-Mobile. Nexus 7 16GB. Google Chromebook (2012 Samsung 16gb). Next stop, a Google flush toilet.
    Did I solve your problem? Hit the Thanks button. Was I just a nuisance? Sorry, can't bat .400 every day.