Be careful if you move to a 3G phone then move back to a 4G phone

dpham00

Moderator Team VP
Apr 23, 2011
Visit site
Well, I changed my Rezound to my antique Palm Pixi Plus this morning so that I could take advantage of Microsoft's trade in promotion allowing you to trade in any smartphone for a new no contract Windows Phone for free (I ended up with the Focus S). Anyways, I tried to activate my Rezound again, and they said that the sim was dead and that I would have to get a new sim. Luckily, I had a few spare sims, and was able to get my phone up and running.

Reactions: skatergirl

zrxoa1

Apr 20, 2010
Visit site
Re: Be careful if you move to a 3G phone then move back to a 4G p

Same thing happened to me the other day. Quite a bit of crap to go thru!

zrxoa1

Apr 20, 2010
Visit site

Definitely.....like this week. I am going with my 10yr old sons class to Washington DC. We leave tonight at 3am and it is a nine hour bus ride Plus each day will be out n about from 7am to nearly 10pm. I don't see the Rezound battery lasting that long each day. I would like to switch to the iPhone 4 for the week for the superior battery, but then I'd have to go get a new sim card when I wanted to go back to the Rezound.

My only hope for the week is to turn off the data each day so I can only get calls n texts. Fire up data at night to catch up on emails and such.

hesgotagun

Feb 27, 2011
Visit site

Definitely.....like this week. I am going with my 10yr old sons class to Washington DC. We leave tonight at 3am and it is a nine hour bus ride Plus each day will be out n about from 7am to nearly 10pm. I don't see the Rezound battery lasting that long each day. I would like to switch to the iPhone 4 for the week for the superior battery, but then I'd have to go get a new sim card when I wanted to go back to the Rezound.

My only hope for the week is to turn off the data each day so I can only get calls n texts. Fire up data at night to catch up on emails and such.

You should just buy a portable power pack. They're like 30 or 40 bucks and are much better than extended batteries because A.) you're not bulking up your phone when you don't need it and B.) they're universal so you can use them with all of your phones. I'm sure you have a backpack or something like that, just toss it in and halfway through the day plug it into your phone for an hour. That should get you through those extra long days no problem.

dpham00

Moderator Team VP
Apr 23, 2011
Visit site

You can call Verizon or go to the store to see if they will send you a free sim beforehand. If they don't allow it, the roundabout way to do it would be to activate the iPhone on the plan online , then switch back to the Rezound right away online, but say you don't have a sim. They will send it to you free of charge. Then, call in and tell them you want to switch phones to the iPhone. That way, you can use the iPhone now, and the sim will come in a few days. If you are traveling for a while, have it delivered to you in Washington DC. they send it 2 day fedex for free. but it does require signature confirmation.

Last edited:

humpagardengnome

Oct 24, 2011
Visit site

Anyone know offhand, exactly, what is it about the revert process that kills the sim card?

xxfallacyxx

Bearded
Aug 18, 2011
Visit site

I imagine it would just be a system issue. The cards shouldn't self destruct because you activated a different phone.

Perhaps it's a security measure for VZW, so that they can disable a SIM card that's reported stolen.

zrxoa1

Apr 20, 2010
Visit site
Heehee, I actually have an extra SIM card. When I went thru this last week, customer service sent me out a new SIM card, but it was going to take three days to get it to me so I drove to the Corp store and had them bring my Rezound back to life there. I thought they would cancel the SIM coming but they didn't. There is a Fed ex box in my room, not even opened, with the new SIM. So I am thinking about it... Might take the iPhone with me and if it appears the Rezound just can't make it thru the week, swap online.

The biggest gripe I have over the 4g to 3g back to 4g process is if you do it online, nothing tells you you can't do it. It will even tell you it has been switched and the phone will tell you (if you try the *228 thing) that your SIM is already activated. Online when you make the switch to 3g phone it even tells you your SIM is good for 90 days!

Sent from my Verizon HTC Rezound using Tapatalk!

dpham00

Moderator Team VP
Apr 23, 2011
Visit site

Heehee, I actually have an extra SIM card. When I went thru this last week, customer service sent me out a new SIM card, but it was going to take three days to get it to me so I drove to the Corp store and had them bring my Rezound back to life there. I thought they would cancel the SIM coming but they didn't. There is a Fed ex box in my room, not even opened, with the new SIM. So I am thinking about it... Might take the iPhone with me and if it appears the Rezound just can't make it thru the week, swap online.

The biggest gripe I have over the 4g to 3g back to 4g process is if you do it online, nothing tells you you can't do it. It will even tell you it has been switched and the phone will tell you (if you try the *228 thing) that your SIM is already activated. Online when you make the switch to 3g phone it even tells you your SIM is good for 90 days!

Sent from my Verizon HTC Rezound using Tapatalk!

iirc, I believe it says "up to 90 days". but yeah, they should be clearer about it.

anon(386684)

Jul 1, 2011
Visit site

This is weird, I've *never* had this issue with my Thunderbolt. I switched over to a Droid Incredible 2 for a day so I could get it SIM unlocked by Verizon (wasn't even my phone), when it was done, I just turned my Thunderbolt back on and re-activated, same SIM that I've had since 3/17/11.

trivor

Jan 15, 2011
Visit site

Well, I changed my Rezound to my antique Palm Pixi Plus this morning so that I could take advantage of Microsoft's trade in promotion allowing you to trade in any smartphone for a new no contract Windows Phone for free (I ended up with the Focus S). Anyways, I tried to activate my Rezound again, and they said that the sim was dead and that I would have to get a new sim. Luckily, I had a few spare sims, and was able to get my phone up and running.

What are you doing with a Focus S on Verizon? That is a GSM phone - do you have an ATT account also? Just curious.

YourMobileGuru

Formerly VZWRocks
Feb 25, 2010
Visit site
Anyone know offhand, exactly, what is it about the revert process that kills the sim card?

When you put a phone on the line that does not require a SiM card or that uses the other suzed sim card then it is put in a cue to be de.provisioned. All sim cards die after being de provisioned. Supposedly you have 24 hrs to switch back before the old sim card becomes garbage but in real world conditions people are finding that to not be the case. Bottom line plan ahead when you are doing something like this.

Reactions: humpagardengnome

droid83

Jun 2, 2010
Visit site

same thing happened to me switching back to the OG droid. I was in NY with my family where I thought my TBolt. I thought I would get 4G in the city but no luck. Tried to switched back 2 days later and the SIM card was dead. Had to run to the VZ store get a SIM. Will never go to 3G again.

arcoms

May 18, 2010
Visit site

I know this is off topic, but what trade in program is going on? Haven't heard of it, but it sounds like a pretty good deal!

humpagardengnome

Oct 24, 2011
Visit site

dpham00

Moderator Team VP
Apr 23, 2011
Visit site

What are you doing with a Focus S on Verizon? That is a GSM phone - do you have an ATT account also? Just curious.

i truely did want to try out a wp7 phone. there are some things i really like about it. but the weak appstore really kills it for me. and, it is quad band, so i can use it while i travel. plus, it has fm radio.

dpham00

Moderator Team VP
Apr 23, 2011
Visit site

Hope they actually do the trade ins hassle free. They seem to be very reluctant to honor those who've partook in the "smoked" challenge and beat them at their own game.

getting the phone isn't a problem. all the problems are about winning the laptop. microsoft is changing rules ex post facto like the guy who had a gnex and his challenge was to display 2 weather locations. he had disabled the lockscreen on his gnex, and had two widgets set up, so it was simply turning on the phone for him vs. the wp7 which required turning on phone and unlock (1 action vs. 2). they started bsing him and finally said that the 2 weather locations had to be in different states or something like that - after the challenge. anyway, he did a blog about it, and first, m$ said that they'd be happy to rechallenge him, later, after more flack, they just gave him a laptop and a phone.

there are other similar stories too...

humpagardengnome

Oct 24, 2011
Visit site

getting the phone isn't a problem. all the problems are about winning the laptop. microsoft is changing rules ex post facto like the guy who had a gnex and his challenge was to display 2 weather locations. he had disabled the lockscreen on his gnex, and had two widgets set up, so it was simply turning on the phone for him vs. the wp7 which required turning on phone and unlock (1 action vs. 2). they started bsing him and finally said that the 2 weather locations had to be in different states or something like that - after the challenge. anyway, he did a blog about it, and first, m$ said that they'd be happy to rechallenge him, later, after more flack, they just gave him a laptop and a phone.

there are other similar stories too...

Absolutely, set of completely different scenarios. I just couldn't pass up on citing a tie w/Microsoft, to take the opportunity to bag on them for the hijinx they pulled w/ the "smokers". Glad they made good on their
gaffe.

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Cy3berOdyssey