How do you deal with rom flashing?

SpaceHippie

Journeyman
Dec 21, 2010
Visit site
Im a pretty typical user. I like to try out different roms and know how to handle myself if i make a mistake. I ove trying different roms. What i hate is the constant reloading of apps and setting up the phone again. I do have titanium backup to restore my apps but i still hate having to login to all my apps and set up my homescreens again. So my question is how do you guys deal with this issue? Especially if your a fan a scott roms. I love the guy, but he has updates almost daily and it's a real pain sometimes. lol

MrSmith317

Mr Fix-It
Mar 1, 2010
Visit site
Flash less? I've been on the same ROM without updating for the past month. I love trying new ROMs but none of them seem to offer me better than what I have. So why bother? Setting everything back up is one of the very unfortunate parts of ROM'ing. Also remember that you can use TI to backup your settings/info it's just that if restoring breaks something, then you're back to square one anyway.

Paul627g

AC Moderator All-Star
Nov 25, 2010
Visit site
Only other option you have concerning resetting your home screens and such is using a 3rd party launcher like Go Launcher, ADW, Launcher Pro, etc. that have home screen backup and restore. It may not be the route you want to take but it will make the constant flashing and resetting of things alittle easier on you...

Dovahkiin

One Man Wolfpack
Nov 17, 2011
Visit site
I've flashed 2 ROMs on my Rezound and I'm already sick of it. The next time I'm flashing, it's gonna be for official ICS and that's it. The setup is officially the worst part about flashing, and the words "factory reset" make my eyes bleed.

Reactions: SpaceHippie

SpaceHippie

Journeyman
Dec 21, 2010
Visit site
yea. im on cleanrom ICS and when i try to flash back to stock GB i get the mainver error for some reason so i just said screw it and will wait

twolastnames

Nov 25, 2011
Visit site
yea. im on cleanrom ICS and when i try to flash back to stock GB i get the mainver error for some reason so i just said screw it and will wait

Here you go HTC Misctool [Tool to read/write main version] - xda-developers

This resets your mainver to 1.0 so you can flash whatever you want. A lot of new roms are also just reseting your mainver to 1 as part of the flashing.

I go in spurts on flashing. Sometimes I flash a few times a week, sometimes once every 2-3 weeks. i actually don't care about the set up. I can wipe, flash, and have most things set up in less than 45 minutes, so I can do it on my lunch break. I kind of think most apps are fluff, I normally have less than 15 I need to download. I did find some apps replaced a lot of other ones, APW for one. Pretty much all the widgets I need in one download.

I don't play many games, so that is not a problem.

humpagardengnome

Oct 24, 2011
Visit site
Here you go HTC Misctool [Tool to read/write main version] - xda-developers

This resets your mainver to 1.0 so you can flash whatever you want. A lot of new roms are also just reseting your mainver to 1 as part of the flashing.

I go in spurts on flashing. Sometimes I flash a few times a week, sometimes once every 2-3 weeks. i actually don't care about the set up. I can wipe, flash, and have most things set up in less than 45 minutes, so I can do it on my lunch break. I kind of think most apps are fluff, I normally have less than 15 I need to download. I did find some apps replaced a lot of other ones, APW for one. Pretty much all the widgets I need in one download.

I don't play many games, so that is not a problem.

That thread has eased many a furrowed brow.

Wanda

May 6, 2010
Visit site
Im a pretty typical user. I like to try out different roms and know how to handle myself if i make a mistake. I ove trying different roms. What i hate is the constant reloading of apps and setting up the phone again. I do have titanium backup to restore my apps but i still hate having to login to all my apps and set up my homescreens again. So my question is how do you guys deal with this issue? Especially if your a fan a scott roms. I love the guy, but he has updates almost daily and it's a real pain sometimes. lol

Its just something we all have to deal with. Do it enough and you get a feel for what apps you MUST have and reinstall and other apps that aren't as necessary for a ROM you're test driving.

Also like others have said, sometimes you get on a ROM and stick with it for a while. Like me, I've been on Ineffabilis 1.1 for over a month. That's a long time for a serial flasher! There have been several updates to it but this ROM is just so stable and has everything I want so why mess with it.

Eventually though we all get the fever and the only cure isn't cowbell, its a new ROM...and a big ol Ice Cream Sandwich!

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
akbarramadhani12