K-9 mail app

Simon_y7

Oct 1, 2011
Visit site
Guys, I'm lost in the settings. Please help! I use it only for my POP3 accounts of which I have three. In "Accounts & sync"/"General sync settings", originally, I had both "Background data" and "Auto-sync" unchecked. The idea was to d/l each account's mail manually, as needed. As I primarily use my desktop for dealing w/ email, I had to deal w/ it on the phone only rarely, but it seemed to work, even though every time, the mail was d/l'ed, there was "Syncing disabled" across the top of the screen. Well, for the first time, I tried to email a pic from the phone, but couldn't b/c of "Syncing disabled". I went and checked both "Background data" and "Auto-sync", and still couldn't, still "Syncing disabled". What else could I possibly do for enable syncing? What am I missing?

Also, what is the purpose of these stars to the right of email titles? If you tap on them, they turn yellow, and one would think that the checked email could be deleted as a batch, but, on that screen, there is no delete option. Does it mean that the only way to delete email is one-by-one?

And, finally, I've seemed to confirm that, unlike with a BB, email on the PC and on the phone are independent from each other. That is, if you deleted mail on the PC, it's still there, on the phone, and the same the other way around. How inconvenient, doing the same job twice. Does anybody know of any way around it?

dpham00

Moderator Team VP
Apr 23, 2011
Visit site
Guys, I'm lost in the settings. Please help! I use it only for my POP3 accounts of which I have three. In "Accounts & sync"/"General sync settings", originally, I had both "Background data" and "Auto-sync" unchecked. The idea was to d/l each account's mail manually, as needed. As I primarily use my desktop for dealing w/ email, I had to deal w/ it on the phone only rarely, but it seemed to work, even though every time, the mail was d/l'ed, there was "Syncing disabled" across the top of the screen. Well, for the first time, I tried to email a pic from the phone, but couldn't b/c of "Syncing disabled". I went and checked both "Background data" and "Auto-sync", and still couldn't, still "Syncing disabled". What else could I possibly do for enable syncing? What am I missing?

Also, what is the purpose of these stars to the right of email titles? If you tap on them, they turn yellow, and one would think that the checked email could be deleted as a batch, but, on that screen, there is no delete option. Does it mean that the only way to delete email is one-by-one?

And, finally, I've seemed to confirm that, unlike with a BB, email on the PC and on the phone are independent from each other. That is, if you deleted mail on the PC, it's still there, on the phone, and the same the other way around. How inconvenient, doing the same job twice. Does anybody know of any way around it?

i'm not sure about the syncing disabled. the only time i see that is when i have no internet connection.

i'm using yahoo mail via imap, the star is used to flag a message. on the phone, when you want to find starred messages, go to menu>sort by, and select starred. the starred messages, if using imap at least, will push to other e-mail clients provided that they support it (it works with my desktop client and k-9 in both directions)

menu>settings>global settings>display, check "multi-select checkboxes", and it will show you boxes to the left of the message where you can batch select e-mails to delete, move, etc.

Simon_y7

Oct 1, 2011
Visit site
Well, I've figured out the stars and the check marks on tabs. But with all settings supposedly on, I still have this damn "Syncing disabled" on top of the screen. :(

dpham00

Moderator Team VP
Apr 23, 2011
Visit site
Well, I've figured out the stars and the check marks on tabs. But with all settings supposedly on, I still have this damn "Syncing disabled" on top of the screen. :(

Good to settings > global settings > network > background sync,

Then select" always". Restart the phone, or fc k9 and see what happens.

MrSmith317

Mr Fix-It
Mar 1, 2010
Visit site
With k9, you can force it to sync even with background data and auto sync disabled, by following the instructions I posted earlier in this thread. I have tested it and it works that way on my phone.

That's awesome. I'm always on performance mode but it's really good to know. Thanks D

dpham00

Moderator Team VP
Apr 23, 2011
Visit site
That's awesome. I'm always on performance mode but it's really good to know. Thanks D

Yes, it is a good option for those who only need mail sync, they can shut off background data. Or for people who are on tiered or throttled, though verizon does not throttle 4GLTE smartphones for now.

Simon_y7

Oct 1, 2011
Visit site
Enabled everything, crossed my fingers, and rebooted. Still, syncing disabled. Yes, I understand that one can force it to sync, but this "syncing disabled" bugs the hell out of me. There must be some obscure setting somewhere that causes it.

dpham00

Moderator Team VP
Apr 23, 2011
Visit site
Enabled everything, crossed my fingers, and rebooted. Still, syncing disabled. Yes, I understand that one can force it to sync, but this "syncing disabled" bugs the hell out of me. There must be some obscure setting somewhere that causes it.

Try to clear data from the application menu. You would have to set it up again though.

My point though was that you can force it to sync regardless of background data and auto sync being disabled

Reactions: Simon_y7

dpham00

Moderator Team VP
Apr 23, 2011
Visit site
That should have been enabled by default. Of course, you could have disabled it. That's why I said to clear data on k9, it will restore the default settings and syncing should work.

Simon_y7

Oct 1, 2011
Visit site
That should have been enabled by default. Of course, you could have disabled it. That's why I said to clear data on k9, it will restore the default settings and syncing should work.

At the time I got my Rezound, I was utterly ignorant to how the Android OS worked. I desperately struggled to set up my POP email using the native client and couldn't, so a guy at a VZW store d/l'ed and set up my K-9. Sadly, I never bothered to go back and figure out how he set it.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
smokedog87