Why no ICS anytime soon

SkullHockey3

Dec 11, 2011
Visit site
Ok while we all want ICS for our rezound so badly I see several things holding back the rezound from getting ICS at the moment.

One main thing holding it back is Verizon! Verizon has the Nexus right now and they have been pushing that phone hard! Some things they are saying about the phone to get it to sell is things like "First phone with ICS" , or only phone with ICS (for Verizon). They will push the fact it has ICS for as long as they can. If another phone had ICS in the Verizon line-up it would take one of their main selling points away from the nexus. They want to sell as many nexus as they can before they drop the price a lot.

Another thing is Verizon likes to test the heck out of new OS, and any update for any phone to as they put it "ensure no issues arise for customers, and full compatibility". Now while they probly do test the heck out of the updates/new OS for phones, they are also making sure their software (bloatware) works with the new version and might have to update their software to work with the update. They are also probly holding off some to help sell other phones (see first paragraph)

I?m sure Another reason is due to HTC. Their main focus lately has been the One series. I wouldn?t be surprised ICS for the rezound is not release (even if its ready) for a bit so they can sell more "one series" phones. HTC may also be doing a "wait and see" approach to the one series to see how the new sense and ics work together if there?s any bugs they miss before putting it on the rezound. Also they might be haveing issues with ICS on the rezound and are still working on resolving it.

Overall I wouldn?t be surprised to see ICS for the rezound to come sometime in Aug or Sept of this year once the nexus price has dropped a lot and is no longer a main phone they push, and once the "One Series" phones have been out for a bit.

humpagardengnome

Oct 24, 2011
Visit site
Ok while we all want ICS for our rezound so badly I see several things holding back the rezound from getting ICS at the moment.

One main thing holding it back is Verizon! Verizon has the Nexus right now and they have been pushing that phone hard! Some things they are saying about the phone to get it to sell is things like "First phone with ICS" , or only phone with ICS (for Verizon). They will push the fact it has ICS for as long as they can. If another phone had ICS in the Verizon line-up it would take one of their main selling points away from the nexus. They want to sell as many nexus as they can before they drop the price a lot.

Another thing is Verizon likes to test the heck out of new OS, and any update for any phone to as they put it "ensure no issues arise for customers, and full compatibility". Now while they probly do test the heck out of the updates/new OS for phones, they are also making sure their software (bloatware) works with the new version and might have to update their software to work with the update. They are also probly holding off some to help sell other phones (see first paragraph)

I?m sure Another reason is due to HTC. Their main focus lately has been the One series. I wouldn?t be surprised ICS for the rezound is not release (even if its ready) for a bit so they can sell more "one series" phones. HTC may also be doing a "wait and see" approach to the one series to see how the new sense and ics work together if there?s any bugs they miss before putting it on the rezound. Also they might be haveing issues with ICS on the rezound and are still working on resolving it.

Overall I wouldn?t be surprised to see ICS for the rezound to come sometime in Aug or Sept of this year once the nexus price has dropped a lot and is no longer a main phone they push, and once the "One Series" phones have been out for a bit.

The picture you paint is speculation and it doesn't include one thing that points to the recent events that actually paint a different, much rosier outlook on a release timeframe. It's no accident the most recent leak for the Rezound included updated firmware. Take a step back from the angst about not knowing what's going on and you might just realize something is going on.

318sugarhill

Jun 9, 2010
Visit site
I would like to know what all the Hoopla is about ICS. I mean, is there some really big improvements (on the user end) that we will see? I haven't gotten my Rezound yet, it's shipping, but I have a Dinc since launch. It shipped with Eclair. When it got Froyo, it was a MAJOR improvement....Especially in the streaming video area. As far as the Gingerbread update??? Eh. Not a big deal. A few tweaks here and there, but other than knowing I had the "latest" software, my day to day use was not really affected that much (that I really noticed).

There is always that need for the next thing, but to be honest with you, there are some pretty drastic UI changes to ICS that I'm not sure I like or am ready to jump ship for just because an update is available. It is annoying that the carriers take sooooo much time to push them out, but I know the Droid X, Tbolt, Dinc, and many others STILL had issues when Gingerbread was released, even after all the testing. If you want to try the latest greatest OS, then root the phone and ROM it before the update pushes out.

isaacdibb1095

Mar 7, 2012
Visit site

I’m sure Another reason is due to HTC. Their main focus lately has been the One series. I wouldn’t be surprised ICS for the rezound is not release (even if its ready) for a bit so they can sell more "one series" phones. HTC may also be doing a "wait and see" approach to the one series to see how the new sense and ics work together if there’s any bugs they miss before putting it on the rezound. Also they might be haveing issues with ICS on the rezound and are still working on resolving it.

Overall I wouldn’t be surprised to see ICS for the rezound to come sometime in Aug or Sept of this year once the nexus price has dropped a lot and is no longer a main phone they push, and once the "One Series" phones have been out for a bit.

*Official from a Verizon tech support expert*

HTC Rezound will get ICS by the end of q2

humpagardengnome

Oct 24, 2011
Visit site
I would like to know what all the Hoopla is about ICS. I mean, is there some really big improvements (on the user end) that we will see? I haven't gotten my Rezound yet, it's shipping, but I have a Dinc since launch. It shipped with Eclair. When it got Froyo, it was a MAJOR improvement....Especially in the streaming video area. As far as the Gingerbread update??? Eh. Not a big deal. A few tweaks here and there, but other than knowing I had the "latest" software, my day to day use was not really affected that much (that I really noticed).

There is always that need for the next thing, but to be honest with you, there are some pretty drastic UI changes to ICS that I'm not sure I like or am ready to jump ship for just because an update is available. It is annoying that the carriers take sooooo much time to push them out, but I know the Droid X, Tbolt, Dinc, and many others STILL had issues when Gingerbread was released, even after all the testing. If you want to try the latest greatest OS, then root the phone and ROM it before the update pushes out.

Actually, you don't even need to root. The last leak had firmware so all you need to run it is to dl tje file onto sd, reboot into hboot and install. Voila, ICS under Sense 3.6. That easy, it's not without it's risks mind you, when the official update is released but i doubt they'll arise cinsidering how well it runs.

Wanda

May 6, 2010
Visit site
Skullhockey, if you want it that badly then root your phone and get it. Are you going to pull your hair out until August?

Its out there, it runs very well, its not even that difficult to procure...so don't wait for Verizon, just go get it.

kulkaholic

Jan 24, 2011
Visit site
idk about pushing the nexus that hard. I went into a Verizon store and there was ahuge dispaly for the Razor and a display for their "pther" high end $g [hones with a smaller display for lower end 4g phones.

The Salesman asked me if I listen to music. When I said yes the pushed the rezound on me. I think it depends on who you are talking to. I went in a few days later and someone was telling me to forget a smartphone and get a tablet because they are much more efficient for people on the go. AFter a few questions I established he is an idiot but it still proves my point it is who you talk to.

humpagardengnome

Oct 24, 2011
Visit site
idk about pushing the nexus that hard. I went into a Verizon store and there was ahuge dispaly for the Razor and a display for their "pther" high end $g [hones with a smaller display for lower end 4g phones.

The Salesman asked me if I listen to music. When I said yes the pushed the rezound on me. I think it depends on who you are talking to. I went in a few days later and someone was telling me to forget a smartphone and get a tablet because they are much more efficient for people on the go. AFter a few questions I established he is an idiot but it still proves my point it is who you talk to.

I pointed this exact train of thought out in an earlier response. I've seen both the Razr and Rezound ads on tv several times. I've seen a GNex ad only once. I've only seen the GNex have any kind of marketing blitz in store and in banner ads on the web. It puzzles me when I hear people claim they've marketed and
pushed that phone heavily. If I was Google or Sammy I'd actually be a bit peeved ICS wasn't pushed harder during this "exclusive" period stateside by Big Red.

japhule

Nov 8, 2010
Visit site
When I spoke to Verizon Support, who then put me in touch with HTC support, the HTC support guy insisted that the ICS update would be coming pretty soon, within a month or 2. I was talking to support b/c my phone would not get the OTA update a few weeks ago (still running 1.02). HTC couldn't fix my OTA issue and said to wait for the ICS update coming soon.

MrSmith317

Mr Fix-It
Mar 1, 2010
Visit site
Trust no OTA rumors.
Trust_No_One_tagline.jpg

NoYankees44

Dec 20, 2011
Visit site
I pointed this exact train of thought out in an earlier response. I've seen both the Razr and Rezound ads on tv several times. I've seen a GNex ad only once. I've only seen the GNex have any kind of marketing blitz in store and in banner ads on the web. It puzzles me when I hear people claim they've marketed and
pushed that phone heavily. If I was Google or Sammy I'd actually be a bit peeved ICS wasn't pushed harder during this "exclusive" period stateside by Big Red.

I can't comment on tv cause I don't watch much(however a razr adds are on every time I do watch) but g nex adds are all over the net on every sight remotely tech and phone related. All over YouTube even.

kulkaholic

Jan 24, 2011
Visit site
I cannot say about Droid or other carriers but in my experiences HTC and Verizon rarely meet their updates on releasing updates for OS's.

However on another note the market is in such a flux for Android phones between hardware improvements, interface and OS changes at this point you have to accept that the phone you buy today is most likely already outdated.

Anonymous7532479

Jul 11, 2011
Visit site

Man, I think you're projecting your fascination with ICS onto everyone else. Of the general population of smartphone owners, how many do you think know or even care about ICS? In fact, I would bet that most people don't know much beyond the word "Android" - in terms of operating systems. Aside from techie people/Android fans, I'm pretty sure no one went out and bought the Galaxy Nexus because it was the first phone to use ICS.

Perhaps we haven't seen the ICS update for the Rezound because it's probably very low on the priority list of things-to-do at Verizon, HTC, etc. There are probably thousands of things they need to do before pushing out an update they will bring them no profit.

This is a hobby/passion for you. It's a business for them.

-mcskipp

japhule

Nov 8, 2010
Visit site
HTC got the ICS update for the Vivid that was supposed to come out "later this year". I don't think I saw any advertising for the Vivid. We have an ICS leak for the Rezound so we at least know they're working on it. Hopefully it'll come sooner rather than later.

twolastnames

Nov 25, 2011
Visit site
I can't comment on tv cause I don't watch much(however a razr adds are on every time I do watch) but g nex adds are all over the net on every sight remotely tech and phone related. All over YouTube even.

This is because you searched and or looked for the gnex. Ads are based on your cookies now. Go look at monkey butts on Ebay, and I'm sure you will get ads for monkey buts all over the place.

As for speculation, go look at an older phones forums and look at all the threads on speculation, it's always the same.

Best Buy leak
Some "official from HTC/Verizon tech"
Dudes believing it
Dudes not believing it
Dudes wanting to smash threads that do speculate

We only know there is a very well working "official" leak, and that is all.
Oh, and that HTC has more that 4 programers
Verizon can sell more than one thing at a time
If these companies did actually hate you, they would not exist. Look at the phone company Qwest, I think they may actually have hated having customers, and now they are no longer. (I know they were bought, but in my market, they had 15% of the phone customers, cable had 85%.....)

humpagardengnome

Oct 24, 2011
Visit site
This is because you searched and or looked for the gnex. Ads are based on your cookies now. Go look at monkey butts on Ebay, and I'm sure you will get ads for monkey buts all over the place.

As for speculation, go look at an older phones forums and look at all the threads on speculation, it's always the same.

Best Buy leak
Some "official from HTC/Verizon tech"
Dudes believing it
Dudes not believing it
Dudes wanting to smash threads that do speculate

We only know there is a very well working "official" leak, and that is all.
Oh, and that HTC has more that 4 programers
Verizon can sell more than one thing at a time
If these companies did actually hate you, they would not exist. Look at the phone company Qwest, I think they may actually have hated having customers, and now they are no longer. (I know they were bought, but in my market, they had 15% of the phone customers, cable had 85%.....)

Verizon may not hate us but they sure do seem to enjoy making many owners miserable every now and then.

MrSmith317

Mr Fix-It
Mar 1, 2010
Visit site
I think Verizon does hate us. By "us" I mean those that inhabit the forums and put information out there that they don't want public knowledge. People that jack up their tech support numbers by calling in and asking when whatever update is coming. They do hate that we make them work for what we pay them for.

VidJunky

Dec 6, 2011
Visit site
Idk why everyone thinks that there is all this testing that's going on. OK there may be some, but I think it's more for how well the bootloaders are locked up and how hard is it to take the bloatware off of the phone. GB was a complete disaster when it first, first released and almost as big a disaster on the re-release.

As for the actual update, I have to agree with an earlier poster, that it is more of the "next great thing" than an actual "man this will really make the phone better" update.

And Big Red doesn't hate us. They just don't care what we think or how we feel as long as you pay your bill. As for making you happy, imo, they sold you the phone you wanted and gave you 14 days to change your mind.

Being rooted I'll take my time with any OTA just because of my experience with GB. Well see how much the boards fill up after it hits. I don't want to be like the Gnex crowd, all hype and left with something you're praying for an update to fix.

MrSmith317

Mr Fix-It
Mar 1, 2010
Visit site
As far as I'm concerned ICS is a major update if nothing else for the multi-core CPU support. Most rational people wouldn't care. But I do. I like getting the most out of what I paid for.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Dawncompton