Like Tree17Likes
  • 2 Post By musicalprogrammer
  • 6 Post By Wanda
  • 4 Post By humpagardengnome
  • 1 Post By twolastnames
  • 2 Post By Wanda
  • 2 Post By musicalprogrammer
  1. Thread Author  Thread Author    #1  

Default 64GB microSD - confirmed working in Rezound!

I've seen some previous posts questioning if the Rezound can handle 64GB microSD cards, and I'd like to share my experience to aid those who are wondering and perhaps on the fence with their own purchase.

I purchased a SanDisk 64GB Class 6 card for $80 during an online sale and have been using it for the last few weeks without a problem. The first time I put it in the phone, I was asked to format it, which resulted in 59.4GB of usable space. I then transferred ~33 GB of movies, PSX games and music (it's all legal, I promise!) - transfer speeds seem a little faster than the stock 16GB class 4 card the phone came with, although I did not take hard benchmarks. I have yet to see any issues with playback of any of the media or browsing of directories using Astro. For good measure, I even have Warcraft 2, Heroes of Might and Magic 2, Baldur's Gate 2 and Icewind Dale running using various Android engines, with all of the game files sitting on the SD card.

All in all, I'm extremely satisfied with the purchase and results - it really helps take my "all-in-one device" to the next level, with 70GB! (10 phone internal storage partition + 60 SD) of storage space without the hassle of having to carry and switch between multiple cards.
    Thanked by 4:
    veevans01 and skatergirl like this.

ROM
    HTC One (Verizon) Stock

Default Re: 64GB microSD - confirmed working in Rezound!

Quote Originally Posted by musicalprogrammer View Post
    I've seen some previous posts questioning if the Rezound can handle 64GB microSD cards, and I'd like to share my experience to aid those who are wondering and perhaps on the fence with their own purchase.

I purchased a SanDisk 64GB Class 6 card for $80 during an online sale and have been using it for the last few weeks without a problem. The first time I put it in the phone, I was asked to format it, which resulted in 59.4GB of usable space. I then transferred ~33 GB of movies, PSX games and music (it's all legal, I promise!) - transfer speeds seem a little faster than the stock 16GB class 4 card the phone came with, although I did not take hard benchmarks. I have yet to see any issues with playback of any of the media or browsing of directories using Astro. For good measure, I even have Warcraft 2, Heroes of Might and Magic 2, Baldur's Gate 2 and Icewind Dale running using various Android engines, with all of the game files sitting on the SD card.

All in all, I'm extremely satisfied with the purchase and results - it really helps take my "all-in-one device" to the next level, with 70GB! (10 phone internal storage partition + 60 SD) of storage space without the hassle of having to carry and switch between multiple cards.
    Sounds great. Can I suggest a battery to help you play all that stuff....

"I drank what?" -Socrates
    TBolt, mithed, Jude526 and 3 others like this.

Only way to get a full days usage out of 70gb worth of storage.
    Wanda, mithed, Jude526 and 1 others like this.

ROM
    To embarrassed to say

Is that uranium in your pocket, or are you just happy to see me?
    Took the S4 update on purpose, so I could not mess with my phone.... so so so stupid.

ROM
    HTC One (Verizon) Stock

Quote Originally Posted by twolastnames View Post
    Is that uranium in your pocket, or are you just happy to see me?
    You mean my "spent fuel rod"
    "I drank what?" -Socrates

Funny stuff, thanks for the lolz.

hahaha.... nice.
  8. Thread Author  Thread Author    #8  

lol... I try to be helpful and this is what I get...

In all seriousness, it's fabulous being able to carry an entire library of movies, music, games (console and PC), and photo albums locally stored in my pocket to enjoy whenever the opportunity arises. A big pro for the Rezound over other devices that don't offer SD slots.
    Thanked by:
    skatergirl and Delawareduff like this.

lol... I try to be helpful and this is what I get...

In all seriousness, it's fabulous being able to carry an entire library of movies, music, games (console and PC), and photo albums locally stored in my pocket to enjoy whenever the opportunity arises. A big pro for the Rezound over other devices that don't offer SD slots.
    Ya done good work. I might have to partake in this discovery now that it's confirmed to work.

Global Posts
    297 Global Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Wanda View Post
    Sounds great. Can I suggest a battery to help you play all that stuff....

Now that's funny.

Sent from my ADR6425LVW using Tapatalk 2
    Blessings...Steve
    Rom 10.13

How is the transfer rate speed from the PC to the phone? and do you think there would ab any issues with syncing with Doc to Go?

For good measure, I even have Warcraft 2, Heroes of Might and Magic 2, Baldur's Gate 2 and Icewind Dale running using various Android engines, with all of the game files sitting on the SD card.
    I'm most interested in this - what 'Android engines' are you referring to?

Sent from my Sinclair ZX-80 using Tapatalk 2
  13. Thread Author  Thread Author    #13  

tarnak: Transfer rate seems to be the same or better than the class 4 16GB card the phone came with. I'll try to run some comparative tests this weekend.

GSDer: Warcraft 2 uses Wargus, HOMM2 uses Free Heroes 2, BG2/IWD uses GemRB. All of these engines are available on Google Play. I've found them all to work well, given limited interaction thus far (~1 hour on each). There is a HOMM3 one as well, but it only supports hot seat mode at the moment.
    Thanked by:
    GSDer 

BTW where did you catch the sale of the 64 gb sd card? I have looked at Ebay and amazon.
  15. Thread Author  Thread Author    #15  

Quote Originally Posted by veevans01 View Post
    BTW where did you catch the sale of the 64 gb sd card? I have looked at Ebay and amazon.
    I got it from . They're now selling it for $92.95, which is $12.95 above the sale price.
    Thanked by:

Global Posts
    61 Global Posts
    ROM
    Scotts CleanRom 4.3

On sale at Bestbuy for $79.99

Sent from a J3d¡ M!nd Tr¡ck via Tapatalk 2
    Thanked by:

Cool. Thanks.
  18. Thread Author  Thread Author    #18  

Quote Originally Posted by tarnak View Post
    How is the transfer rate speed from the PC to the phone? and do you think there would ab any issues with syncing with Doc to Go?
    I finally got around to running some tests. First, I filled my stock (16 GB, Class 4) SD card to about 60% - same as the 64GB Class 6 card. Next, I executed 2 runs of read (copy from SD) and write (copy to SD) using the same 580MB file, with the SD card in my Rezound and Rezound attached to a Windows 7 PC. In each case, I recorded the transfer time using a stopwatch and also logged the ~average transfer rate as reported by Windows.

Here are the results:

64GB Card, Read Run #1: 33" (18 MB/s)
    64GB Card, Read Run #2: 34" (17.5 MB/s)

16GB Card, Read Run #1: 31" (18.5 MB/s)
    16GB Card, Read Run #2: 33" (18 MB/s)

64GB Card, Write Run #1: 2'38: (3.7 MB/s)
    64GB Card, Write Run #2: 2'39" (3.7 MB/s)

16GB Card, Write Run #1: 3'3" (3.2 MB/s)
    16GB Card, Write Run #2: 3'11" (3.1 MB/s)

In a nutshell, the read performance was almost identical while the 64GB performed about 15% faster on writes.

Concerning the second part of your question: I don't use Doc to Go, but I can't imagine there being any issues with it, since the host OS doesn't appear to have any problems accessing any of the space. For example, I use Astro to access any file without a problem.
    Thanked by:

I finally got around to running some tests. First, I filled my stock (16 GB, Class 4) SD card to about 60% - same as the 64GB Class 6 card. Next, I executed 2 runs of read (copy from SD) and write (copy to SD) using the same 580MB file, with the SD card in my Rezound and Rezound attached to a Windows 7 PC. In each case, I recorded the transfer time using a stopwatch and also logged the ~average transfer rate as reported by Windows.

Here are the results:

64GB Card, Read Run #1: 33" (18 MB/s)
    64GB Card, Read Run #2: 34" (17.5 MB/s)

16GB Card, Read Run #1: 31" (18.5 MB/s)
    16GB Card, Read Run #2: 33" (18 MB/s)

64GB Card, Write Run #1: 2'38: (3.7 MB/s)
    64GB Card, Write Run #2: 2'39" (3.7 MB/s)

16GB Card, Write Run #1: 3'3" (3.2 MB/s)
    16GB Card, Write Run #2: 3'11" (3.1 MB/s)

In a nutshell, the read performance was almost identical while the 64GB performed about 15% faster on writes.

Concerning the second part of your question: I don't use Doc to Go, but I can't imagine there being any issues with it, since the host OS doesn't appear to have any problems accessing any of the space. For example, I use Astro to access any file without a problem.
    You should've petitioned SanDisk for a research grant. That's alotta work, good effort. I'll have to do try this on a stable ICS/Sense 4.0 rom w/ the camera mods, when the time comes to flash that bad boy.
    Lovin' My Phone

Funny responses and awesome about the mobile movies and games!
    ~Janet~

Great Thread. Thanks for info. Removable Storage, it's a wonderful thing.

This is truly really awesome...thanks again Android!