Found my battery sweet spot! Finally!

PaulQ

Jan 6, 2011
Visit site
Its been five months of reading posts and trying apps and settings and I'm done! My battery lasts all day with some to spare. I dont have to fiddle with anything. This will only work if you are around WiFi most of the day at work. No root.

What do I do? Leave it in 4G mode and turn on WiFi. Done.

No Juice Defender, no Green Power. No running in 3G mode. I've been doing it for a week. It works. Relief.

I told a colleague about it and she was pleasantly surprised as well.

Both of us have WiFi at work and home. When we are elsewhere, WiFi is on but not connected.

I know it sounds simple and I probably picked it up or deduced it from the dozens of threads I have read. Debates over which radios use what power, etc. really clouded the issue. I was under the impression that leaving WiFi on all day would drain the battery. I didn't want to turn it on and off. The power apps just never worked right.

So, there it is. YMMV. Hope it helps someone.

... sent from my Galaxy Tab

cubetop

Mar 20, 2011
Visit site
I didn't know people didn't do that. That's how I've run from day one. My battery always lasted a full day. I got the extended and now I can surf all day, watch videos, do whatever and still have 30% by 11pm. I think the Rezound has GREAT battery life.

twolastnames

Nov 25, 2011
Visit site
Glad to hear. I know you've been on the fence on some of the power apps, and it's good to know that the ones of us that hate them, are not so full of poo poo.

humpagardengnome

Oct 24, 2011
Visit site
We just got a AOKP dev who I hear is gonna be able to get the RIL going, soooo, we should, with any luck, have some non-sense love soon enough.
Oh my, I had not heard that, yet. Weekends off to a good start. Woot-Woot, thx:)
909%20-%20Outside%20Only.jpg

Reactions: twolastnames

AstroStrat89

Mar 24, 2011
Visit site
Odd, seems like it should be the opposite. It always seems to drain my tbolt battery more when leaving 4g on and not using wi-fi when just being around the house.

I would just think the wi-fi would be less of a power draw then 4g. I'll have to try it.

just looking at my power chart, wi-fi accounts for 17% and that's with very little use today. Seems like a bug to me.

Theot

Jan 18, 2011
Visit site
I believe you have to have WiFi on. Tom the best of my knowledge any LTE phone will get sucked dry very quickly if it's on straight LTE.

From my Inc2 running Inc2 HD

NoYankees44

Dec 20, 2011
Visit site
I believe you have to have WiFi on. Tom the best of my knowledge any LTE phone will get sucked dry very quickly if it's on straight LTE.

From my Inc2 running Inc2 HD

I keep LTE on all the time and never use WiFi or 3g and still get 16+ hour days

Sent from my ADR6425LVW

Dionysusfan

Mar 28, 2010
Visit site
Is there a way to get my phone to just automatically connect to a known network? it seems to me every time i look at my phone it has a list of hotspots asking if i want to connect...

xxfallacyxx

Bearded
Aug 18, 2011
Visit site
Its been five months of reading posts and trying apps and settings and I'm done! My battery lasts all day with some to spare. I dont have to fiddle with anything. This will only work if you are around WiFi most of the day at work. No root.

What do I do? Leave it in 4G mode and turn on WiFi. Done.

No Juice Defender, no Green Power. No running in 3G mode. I've been doing it for a week. It works. Relief.

I told a colleague about it and she was pleasantly surprised as well.

Both of us have WiFi at work and home. When we are elsewhere, WiFi is on but not connected.

I know it sounds simple and I probably picked it up or deduced it from the dozens of threads I have read. Debates over which radios use what power, etc. really clouded the issue. I was under the impression that leaving WiFi on all day would drain the battery. I didn't want to turn it on and off. The power apps just never worked right.

So, there it is. YMMV. Hope it helps someone.

... sent from my Galaxy Tab

Hehehe welcome to what I've been trying to tell people when I posted my SS of 24+ run times.

Is there a way to get my phone to just automatically connect to a known network? it seems to me every time i look at my phone it has a list of hotspots asking if i want to connect...

It should be automatic already. Look through your wifi settings, see if you accidentally checked off an option that reads something like "automatically connect to known networks"

To the people thinking Wifi is draining too much power, remember that it's an approximate percentage of total power drain. This means you're not actually seeing how much power it's is draining, only how much power it's draining out of the overall power drain on the device that is greater than 1%. So wifi can be left on and the phone can be on for 24hours + and wifi will still read around that area.

xxfallacyxx

Bearded
Aug 18, 2011
Visit site
Oh and further clarification on why leaving wifi on drains less power: I'm not 100% sure, but I believe that when on a wifi network your phone shuts off cell data, and my hypothesis is based upon observation of trying to send/receive MMS messages. Get on to a wifi network, make sure you're connected, and then send a picture to a friend and pay attention to your notification bar. You'll see the 3G/4G symbol come up when sending the message, and then disappear again.

dplane

Mar 2, 2011
Visit site
Also remember to set your wifi sleep policy to "Never" under advanced wifi options. I think by default it is set to turn off the wifi after 15 min..if you are near a strong wifi signal like the OP it might save additional battery life by changing that setting.

PaulQ

Jan 6, 2011
Visit site
OP Here... Just giving a follow-up after a week....

It works GREAT. WiFi and 4G on all the time. I spend about half the day in a strong WiFi zone. I send/receive an average number of texts but only talk on the phone for about 15 minutes/day. I do quite a bit of emailing (screen on).

I'm sure it's different if you aren't under WiFI for a good part of the day or actually use your phone for calls (carried over the mobile network). For me, it continues to be a very successful solution.

humpagardengnome

Oct 24, 2011
Visit site
Oh and further clarification on why leaving wifi on drains less power: I'm not 100% sure, but I believe that when on a wifi network your phone shuts off cell data, and my hypothesis is based upon observation of trying to send/receive MMS messages. Get on to a wifi network, make sure you're connected, and then send a picture to a friend and pay attention to your notification bar. You'll see the 3G/4G symbol come up when sending the message, and then disappear again.

Actually, that observation is slightly misleading. If wifi is connected it supercedes mobile data in that it goes into state of active dormancy. Although, mobile data remains on in thebackground for sending and recieving MMS/SMS.

xxfallacyxx

Bearded
Aug 18, 2011
Visit site
Yea, should have said puts it in a sleep mode so to speak haha, either way that's why leaving wifi on when you're in areas with known networks is not detrimental to battery.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
pierre5463