Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
Like Tree28Likes
  1. Thread Author  Thread Author    #26  
    Lovin' My Phone

Default Re: Does anyone have a tablet??

Quote Originally Posted by Lactose The Intolerant View Post
    @SkaterGirl - grats on your tablet! I've had my wifi Xoom for over a year now -- couldn't go back to not having one! I'm very happy that my wife prefers her laptop (17") to the Xoom -- makes it all mine.
    Thank you!! It is being shipped today, so I hope to have it in the next few days.

Got a question though for all you tablet experts. I thought I saw that Microsoft Live Essentials was availible for download on the tablets. Is this correct?
    ~Janet~

Quote Originally Posted by skatergirl View Post
    I like to purchase my gadgets, whenever possible, with no interest financing. I have a Best Buy card and so I made my choice from the Best Buy selection.
    Don't know where you live, but amazon has the Tf300 for $400. Add in about $35 in tax for CALIFORNIA and for me, that's an $85 difference, about $20 percent of the price. To me, it's worth it to give up zero percent financing especially since I can get under 10% on CCs anyway. But of course, all this depends on your specific situation. I personally don't finance anything unless I have no other choice and pay off CCs in full each month. I just hate paying the bank money for interest, as I see you do too.
    skatergirl likes this.
  3. Thread Author  Thread Author    #28  
    Lovin' My Phone

Quote Originally Posted by dpham00 View Post
    Don't know where you live, but amazon has the Tf300 for $400. Add in about $35 in tax for CALIFORNIA and for me, that's an $85 difference, about $20 percent of the price. To me, it's worth it to give up zero percent financing especially since I can get under 10% on CCs anyway. But of course, all this depends on your specific situation. I personally don't finance anything unless I have no other choice and pay off CCs in full each month. I just hate paying the bank money for interest, as I see you do too.
    Yes, I work hard to not give the bank any money!

I will keep my eyes peeled during the return period. The new tablet should be here Wednesday!
    ~Janet~

I have three tablets. I have an old Color Nook that I bought about a year ago. I rooted it and used it for a while as an Android tablet. Its still around on a shelf somewhere, I don't use it much these days. I should get it out, charge it up, wipe it, install the latest cyanogenmod OS on it, and use it for reading. Its a great form factor for reading and light movie watching.

I bought an iPad 1 a while ago. Its slick, its got nice graphics, and nice construction. However, I HATE iTunes. I HATE Apple's draconian dictatorship over the device I paid for. I mostly let my kid play games on it.

I also have an HP Touchpad that I got for a song (it was more or less free with the purchase of an HP laptop that I was buying anyway.) WebOS is nice, but being an Android guy, I slapped Cyanogenmod on it and can dual boot. Its not without its issues, but all in all I'm happy with it. I bought an iPad case/bluetooth keyboard and can use it as a Mini-Laptop. Its great for surfing the web, watching Netflix, HBOToGo, etc.

Try not to think of a tablet as "one more damn gadget." Try to look at it for what it is - a lightweight device that's great for consuming content and good to very bad for creating content (depending on the content).

Something to consider: there are two major uses with computers/cellphones/tablets/laptops - consumption of content and creation of content. If I am creating content (this post for example) its easiest for me to do on a laptop with a keyboard and a mouse. Its possible to create this post using the touch keyboard on my Rezound, but its slow and painful compared to the comfortable keyboard and mouse on the laptop.

Tablets are typically great for consuming content, but I can't really replace my laptop with one (not yet) because I don't have the tools I use for work - development software like Visual Studio and Eclipse, Photoshop, etc. There are workarounds available that function ok in a pinch, but laptops/desktops are better for me for those things.
    Thanked by:

Global Posts
    401 Global Posts

Little late to respond to this but grats on your tablet purchase.
    I was one of those folks who greatly doubted the purpose of a tablet when Apple announced its "giant Ipod Touch" but after seeing the fire sale for the HP Touchpad and a friend with a Nook color running Android I said to myself; why not?
    So, like several others here I now have my Touchpad running ICS and I'm using it all the time. I do a lot of surfing the web because I am a news, email, forum, general information ***** and it is so convenient to sit on the couch with a tablet rather than using the awesome, but tiny screen of my phone. And hey, it saves my Rezound's battery for situations where I have no other option!
    Thanked by:
  6. Thread Author  Thread Author    #31  
    Lovin' My Phone

Quote Originally Posted by dplane View Post
    Little late to respond to this but grats on your tablet purchase.
    I was one of those folks who greatly doubted the purpose of a tablet when Apple announced its "giant Ipod Touch" but after seeing the fire sale for the HP Touchpad and a friend with a Nook color running Android I said to myself; why not?
    So, like several others here I now have my Touchpad running ICS and I'm using it all the time. I do a lot of surfing the web because I am a news, email, forum, general information ***** and it is so convenient to sit on the couch with a tablet rather than using the awesome, but tiny screen of my phone. And hey, it saves my Rezound's battery for situations where I have no other option!
    I have a laptop and desktop as well and there are times when I want to be on the computer but not at my desk or with my heavy laptop sitting on my lap. I think the tablet is going to be very handy.
    ~Janet~
  7. Thread Author  Thread Author    #32  
    Lovin' My Phone

Hey, I have another question and then I will try to stop talking about the tabs here in the Rezound forum. I just feel like this is my safety zone of forums and I can't stop myself from asking you all every Android-related question that comes to mind.

If a paid app is compatible with both the phone and tab, can I download the app on the tablet without having to pay for it again since it is still on my phone?
    ~Janet~

Global Posts
    401 Global Posts

Hey, I have another question and then I will try to stop talking about the tabs here in the Rezound forum. I just feel like this is my safety zone of forums and I can't stop myself from asking you all every Android-related question that comes to mind.

If a paid app is compatible with both the phone and tab, can I download the app on the tablet without having to pay for it again since it is still on my phone?
    Yup, my understanding is that purchases are linked to your google account..not the device.
    All the apps I bought can be installed on my phone also show up as purchases on my tablet. Though not all android apps are compatible with the screen dimensions of my Touchpad so it has to emulate another device in some cases. Seeing how you bought a native android tablet with its androidy dimensions I don't see there being an issue.
    Thanked by:
    skatergirl likes this.

ROM
    Stock until 4.0.4 hits

Yup, my understanding is that purchases are linked to your google account..not the device.
    All the apps I bought can be installed on my phone also show up as purchases on my tablet. Though not all android apps are compatible with the screen dimensions of my Touchpad so it has to emulate another device in some cases. Seeing how you bought a native android tablet with its androidy dimensions I don't see there being an issue.
    This goes for apps purchased via Amazon app store as well as Google Play.

Another thing that is very handy from Amazon - if I'm at work and my Xoom is at home, I can direct Amazon to send it to the Xoom -- very handy if I find a free book in their Kindle section and I need to get it on the Xoom before they pull the title.

(Google might have this functionality, I just haven't come across it)
    Thanked by:
  10. Thread Author  Thread Author    #35  
    Lovin' My Phone

I finally had the chance to activate my new tablet last night and so far I really, really like it.

I was really impressed that upon activation all my apps downloaded without me having to do a thing. I love live wallpaper and my wallpapers look amazing on the tab. The tab, however, makes my Rezound look like a dwarf!

I don't have everything set up yet and I am still trying to figure out where to find some of the settings in different apps, but Netflix works great as does my Amazon cloud of music. Oh ... and the silver lining to my phone dropping in the toilet is that with the replacement came a second pair of beats ear buds. So, now I have a pair for the tab and they sound pretty good watching movies. I haven't tried them yet with music but that will be very soon. Maybe today!!
    ~Janet~
    Mr Fix-It

ROM
    Stock Rooted

If you ever get to rooting the tablet, I'm fairly sure there's a mod to get Beats to work on the Iconia.
    “Around here, however, we don't look backwards for very long.
    We keep moving forward, opening up new doors and doing new things,
    because we're curious...and curiosity keeps leading us down new paths.”

-Walt Disney
    skatergirl likes this.

This thread has made me want to chime in for a few reasons. 1. It's nice to see a civil discussion about tablets, which includes opinions about all the different operating systems, without folks getting all nasty/snarky/I-know-more-than-you. I am a tech junkie as well, like others have said, and I agree with others' comments that it makes sense to buy the tech that works for you, that you are most comfortable with. 2. I have held off on getting a tablet too, but based on some folks comments here, it has inspired me to start looking at them again. 3. I recently picked up a Rezound on eBay, and will probably wait to activate it once the ICS update hits (my Droid Charge works perfectly fine). So I will be roaming the Rezound forums over the next few weeks, and might chime in here and there. Thanks.

And congrats to you skatergirl on your new tablet!

Quote Originally Posted by lpt2569 View Post
    This thread has made me want to chime in for a few reasons. 1. It's nice to see a civil discussion about tablets, which includes opinions about all the different operating systems, without folks getting all nasty/snarky/I-know-more-than-you. I am a tech junkie as well, like others have said, and I agree with others' comments that it makes sense to buy the tech that works for you, that you are most comfortable with. 2. I have held off on getting a tablet too, but based on some folks comments here, it has inspired me to start looking at them again. 3. I recently picked up a Rezound on eBay, and will probably wait to activate it once the ICS update hits (my Droid Charge works perfectly fine). So I will be roaming the Rezound forums over the next few weeks, and might chime in here and there. Thanks.

And congrats to you skatergirl on your new tablet!
    We look forward to having you here. There are a lot of very helpful and friendly people in the Resound forum.
    Thanked by:
    skatergirl likes this.

ROM
    Viper

Hmmm now I want a tablet too lol. Time to start doing all the research. The tab 300 or whatever looks awesome. The only thing is I'm a cheapo when it comes to stiff and I don't want to spend the money on one. All this talk about them may make the pull the trigger though

Sent from my ADR6425LVW
    Galaxy S3(unlocked on whatever I feel like flashing) ---- Asus Tf300(unlocked on CROMI)
    Htc Rezound(s-off on ViperRez) -- Addicted to crack and retired
    skatergirl likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by NoYankees44 View Post
    Hmmm now I want a tablet too lol. Time to start doing all the research. The tab 300 or whatever looks awesome. The only thing is I'm a cheapo when it comes to stiff and I don't want to spend the money on one. All this talk about them may make the pull the trigger though

Sent from my ADR6425LVW
    I am cheap so I got the touchpad 32GB for $120.
    skatergirl likes this.
  16. Thread Author  Thread Author    #41  
    Lovin' My Phone

Sent from my ADR6425LVW
    I am so happy I got my tablet. I could no longer stand seeing everyone around me with one and I had been thinking about it for quite some time.

I say Go For It!
    ~Janet~
  17. Thread Author  Thread Author    #42  
    Lovin' My Phone

Since this thread is still alive, I thought I'd let you all know I am testing this 15-hour battery. I am going to run Netflix until the battery dies. So far, after two and a half hours, my battery shows it still has 81 percent.
    ~Janet~
  18. Thread Author  Thread Author    #43  
    Lovin' My Phone

Well, I was really off on my battery test. I actually got nine and a half hours of streaming Netflix before I reached 1 percent of my battery. I had the display on automatic and I was in a brightly lit room.

I guess this is not too bad, considering I get about two and a half hours on my laptop. I plan to try a test where I am not really using the tablet but keeping the display lit. I'll keep you posted.
    ~Janet~
    major payne likes this.

Global Posts
    401 Global Posts

That sounds like amazing battery life to me. What stood out to me is that you mentioned you had it set to auto brightness in a BRIGHT room. I assume that means the display brightness was pretty high during your test..that in combination with continuous streaming is extremely impressive IMHO.

Also remember that battery life tends to get better after about a week or so.
    Thanked by:
    skatergirl likes this.
  20. Thread Author  Thread Author    #45  
    Lovin' My Phone

That sounds like amazing battery life to me. What stood out to me is that you mentioned you had it set to auto brightness in a BRIGHT room. I assume that means the display brightness was pretty high during your test..that in combination with continuous streaming is extremely impressive IMHO.

Also remember that battery life tends to get better after about a week or so.

It was pretty well lit (natural daylight) in the room throughout the streaming so yes, I am impressed with the battery. However, I seem to be having other issues and hopefully I figured out the problem.

Last night I went into latitude and checked two labs, which one was the little arrows on the right corner to zoom, and my tab became a total freeze machine until I finally got got rid of both labs.

Right now the tab is stable, but wow ... I am not used to all this unstable activity. My computers don't behave this way and my wonderful Rezound doesn't behave this way. If things don't improve dramatically over the next several days, this tab will be exhanged for something else next weekend.
    ~Janet~

Global Posts
    401 Global Posts

It was pretty well lit (natural daylight) in the room throughout the streaming so yes, I am impressed with the battery. However, I seem to be having other issues and hopefully I figured out the problem.

Last night I went into latitude and checked two labs, which one was the little arrows on the right corner to zoom, and my tab became a total freeze machine until I finally got got rid of both labs.

Right now the tab is stable, but wow ... I am not used to all this unstable activity. My computers don't behave this way and my wonderful Rezound doesn't behave this way. If things don't improve dramatically over the next several days, this tab will be exhanged for something else next weekend.[/COLOR][/SIZE][/FONT][/I][/B]
    Haven't installed the Labs plugins on my tablet so not sure if it would have the same stability issues. However, do keep in mind that even though most of the popular apps scale well with tablets or even have specific tablet versions you do tend to run issues a tad more often than with phones. Tablet compatibility has not had as much time to mature yet.
    Thanked by:
  22. Thread Author  Thread Author    #47  
    Lovin' My Phone

Haven't installed the Labs plugins on my tablet so not sure if it would have the same stability issues. However, do keep in mind that even though most of the popular apps scale well with tablets or even have specific tablet versions you do tend to run issues a tad more often than with phones. Tablet compatibility has not had as much time to mature yet.
    Thanks for reminding me of that! It helps me to remain patient.
    ~Janet~

Global Posts
    1,816 Global Posts
    ROM
    VernomRez / ICS / CM9

Thanks for reminding me of that! It helps me to remain patient.
    Let me know what program you are speaking about and I'll install it on my tablet and see if it works on my Tablet. I have ICS running on mine so it might not be the same experience but i'll gve it a shot

Global Posts
    739 Global Posts
    ROM
    Droid Inc JB 4.1.1

Sent from my ADR6425LVW
    If you're OK with refurbished equipment, that's a good way to save on a "new" tablet. I bought a Galaxy Tab 10.1 a while back for $299 and it's been perfect.
    "I thought I wanted a career. Turns out I just wanted paychecks."
    Copy Referral Link. - Start with 15GB of space. You and I get 5GB extra! No limits!
    Dropbox Referral Link. - We both get 500MB extra.
  25. Thread Author  Thread Author    #50  
    Lovin' My Phone

Quote Originally Posted by Major Payne View Post
    Let me know what program you are speaking about and I'll install it on my tablet and see if it works on my Tablet. I have ICS running on mine so it might not be the same experience but i'll gve it a shot
    Cool ...

My main issue is with the Google Calendar and that only events created a long time ago are syncing over to the tab. I get an error message that says, "unfortunately google sync has stopped working."

I also have to call tech support about a bluetooth keyboard that is giving the tab fits.
    ~Janet~
Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast