Does anyone have a tablet??

majorpayne

May 9, 2011
Visit site
I have 2 Tablets but you will not find mine anymore for the price I got them for.

I currently have a HP touchpad 16 and 32gb. I bought them for 99 and 149 at the fire sale as I am a Huge proponet of webOS. I love the heck out of both of them. I have the Wireless charger along with the keyboard. I have loaded Cyanogen on both of them as my wife uses one instead of a laptop. She can pretty much do everything with it but print. Most likly that is something I can fix but haven't.

That being said I would look at the Asus Transformer also.

Edit: Of course i'm late to the party!

leroybrute

Mar 27, 2011
Visit site
I like to purchase my gadgets, whenever possible, with no interest financing. I have a Best Buy card and so I made my choice from the Best Buy selection.

You an impulse buyer also. lol. I hate waiting. One thing though. I have an acer a500 and got my son the a200, and I love acer. But if best buy gets the tf300 take a look at it. You can return the a510 if you like the tf300. The tf300 has an 8 mp f2.2 rear camera compared to the a510. You can also get tf300 in blue or red and white later. 32gig version for 399 bucks. For the money cant beat the tf300! Not saying the a510 isnt a great deal. Performance wise equal.The keyboard dock is a nice add on for the tf300 also.

P.S. I rarely use my phone now that I have a tablet. :cool:

Lactose The Intolerant

Jun 1, 2010
Visit site
@SkaterGirl - grats on your tablet! I've had my wifi Xoom for over a year now -- couldn't go back to not having one! I'm very happy that my wife prefers her laptop (17") to the Xoom -- makes it all mine. :p

skatergirl

Retired Moderator
Mar 22, 2011
Visit site
You an impulse buyer also. lol. I hate waiting. One thing though. I have an acer a500 and got my son the a200, and I love acer. But if best buy gets the tf300 take a look at it. You can return the a510 if you like the tf300. The tf300 has an 8 mp f2.2 rear camera compared to the a510. You can also get tf300 in blue or red and white later. 32gig version for 399 bucks. For the money cant beat the tf300! Not saying the a510 isnt a great deal. Performance wise equal.The keyboard dock is a nice add on for the tf300 also.

P.S. I rarely use my phone now that I have a tablet. :cool:

Actually, I have been thinking about a tablet for at least a year or more and after seeing all the tablets floating around my family I decided to just give in to my curiosity and get one! I will keep my eyes open during the return period.

skatergirl

Retired Moderator
Mar 22, 2011
Visit site
@SkaterGirl - grats on your tablet! I've had my wifi Xoom for over a year now -- couldn't go back to not having one! I'm very happy that my wife prefers her laptop (17") to the Xoom -- makes it all mine. :p

Thank you!! It is being shipped today, so I hope to have it in the next few days.

Got a question though for all you tablet experts. I thought I saw that Microsoft Live Essentials was availible for download on the tablets. Is this correct?

dpham00

Moderator Team VP
Apr 23, 2011
Visit site
I like to purchase my gadgets, whenever possible, with no interest financing. I have a Best Buy card and so I made my choice from the Best Buy selection.

Don't know where you live, but amazon has the Tf300 for $400. Add in about $35 in tax for CALIFORNIA and for me, that's an $85 difference, about $20 percent of the price. To me, it's worth it to give up zero percent financing especially since I can get under 10% on CCs anyway. But of course, all this depends on your specific situation. I personally don't finance anything unless I have no other choice and pay off CCs in full each month. I just hate paying the bank money for interest, as I see you do too.

skatergirl

Retired Moderator
Mar 22, 2011
Visit site
Don't know where you live, but amazon has the Tf300 for $400. Add in about $35 in tax for CALIFORNIA and for me, that's an $85 difference, about $20 percent of the price. To me, it's worth it to give up zero percent financing especially since I can get under 10% on CCs anyway. But of course, all this depends on your specific situation. I personally don't finance anything unless I have no other choice and pay off CCs in full each month. I just hate paying the bank money for interest, as I see you do too.

Yes, I work hard to not give the bank any money! :)

I will keep my eyes peeled during the return period. The new tablet should be here Wednesday!

WebmastuhB

Jan 24, 2012
Visit site
I have three tablets. I have an old Color Nook that I bought about a year ago. I rooted it and used it for a while as an Android tablet. Its still around on a shelf somewhere, I don't use it much these days. I should get it out, charge it up, wipe it, install the latest cyanogenmod OS on it, and use it for reading. Its a great form factor for reading and light movie watching.

I bought an iPad 1 a while ago. Its slick, its got nice graphics, and nice construction. However, I HATE iTunes. I HATE Apple's draconian dictatorship over the device I paid for. I mostly let my kid play games on it.

I also have an HP Touchpad that I got for a song (it was more or less free with the purchase of an HP laptop that I was buying anyway.) WebOS is nice, but being an Android guy, I slapped Cyanogenmod on it and can dual boot. Its not without its issues, but all in all I'm happy with it. I bought an iPad case/bluetooth keyboard and can use it as a Mini-Laptop. Its great for surfing the web, watching Netflix, HBOToGo, etc.

Try not to think of a tablet as "one more damn gadget." Try to look at it for what it is - a lightweight device that's great for consuming content and good to very bad for creating content (depending on the content).

Something to consider: there are two major uses with computers/cellphones/tablets/laptops - consumption of content and creation of content. If I am creating content (this post for example) its easiest for me to do on a laptop with a keyboard and a mouse. Its possible to create this post using the touch keyboard on my Rezound, but its slow and painful compared to the comfortable keyboard and mouse on the laptop.

Tablets are typically great for consuming content, but I can't really replace my laptop with one (not yet) because I don't have the tools I use for work - development software like Visual Studio and Eclipse, Photoshop, etc. There are workarounds available that function ok in a pinch, but laptops/desktops are better for me for those things.

Reactions: skatergirl

dplane

Mar 2, 2011
Visit site
Little late to respond to this but grats on your tablet purchase.
I was one of those folks who greatly doubted the purpose of a tablet when Apple announced its "giant Ipod Touch" but after seeing the fire sale for the HP Touchpad and a friend with a Nook color running Android I said to myself; why not?
So, like several others here I now have my Touchpad running ICS and I'm using it all the time. I do a lot of surfing the web because I am a news, email, forum, general information whore and it is so convenient to sit on the couch with a tablet rather than using the awesome, but tiny screen of my phone. And hey, it saves my Rezound's battery for situations where I have no other option!

skatergirl

Retired Moderator
Mar 22, 2011
Visit site
Little late to respond to this but grats on your tablet purchase.
I was one of those folks who greatly doubted the purpose of a tablet when Apple announced its "giant Ipod Touch" but after seeing the fire sale for the HP Touchpad and a friend with a Nook color running Android I said to myself; why not?
So, like several others here I now have my Touchpad running ICS and I'm using it all the time. I do a lot of surfing the web because I am a news, email, forum, general information whore and it is so convenient to sit on the couch with a tablet rather than using the awesome, but tiny screen of my phone. And hey, it saves my Rezound's battery for situations where I have no other option!

I have a laptop and desktop as well and there are times when I want to be on the computer but not at my desk or with my heavy laptop sitting on my lap. I think the tablet is going to be very handy.

skatergirl

Retired Moderator
Mar 22, 2011
Visit site
Hey, I have another question and then I will try to stop talking about the tabs here in the Rezound forum. I just feel like this is my safety zone of forums and I can't stop myself from asking you all every Android-related question that comes to mind.

If a paid app is compatible with both the phone and tab, can I download the app on the tablet without having to pay for it again since it is still on my phone?

dplane

Mar 2, 2011
Visit site
Hey, I have another question and then I will try to stop talking about the tabs here in the Rezound forum. I just feel like this is my safety zone of forums and I can't stop myself from asking you all every Android-related question that comes to mind.

If a paid app is compatible with both the phone and tab, can I download the app on the tablet without having to pay for it again since it is still on my phone?

Yup, my understanding is that purchases are linked to your google account..not the device.
All the apps I bought can be installed on my phone also show up as purchases on my tablet. Though not all android apps are compatible with the screen dimensions of my Touchpad so it has to emulate another device in some cases. Seeing how you bought a native android tablet with its androidy dimensions I don't see there being an issue.

Lactose The Intolerant

Jun 1, 2010
Visit site
Yup, my understanding is that purchases are linked to your google account..not the device.
All the apps I bought can be installed on my phone also show up as purchases on my tablet. Though not all android apps are compatible with the screen dimensions of my Touchpad so it has to emulate another device in some cases. Seeing how you bought a native android tablet with its androidy dimensions I don't see there being an issue.

This goes for apps purchased via Amazon app store as well as Google Play.

Another thing that is very handy from Amazon - if I'm at work and my Xoom is at home, I can direct Amazon to send it to the Xoom -- very handy if I find a free book in their Kindle section and I need to get it on the Xoom before they pull the title.

(Google might have this functionality, I just haven't come across it)

skatergirl

Retired Moderator
Mar 22, 2011
Visit site
I finally had the chance to activate my new tablet last night and so far I really, really like it.

I was really impressed that upon activation all my apps downloaded without me having to do a thing. I love live wallpaper and my wallpapers look amazing on the tab. The tab, however, makes my Rezound look like a dwarf!

I don't have everything set up yet and I am still trying to figure out where to find some of the settings in different apps, but Netflix works great as does my Amazon cloud of music. Oh ... and the silver lining to my phone dropping in the toilet is that with the replacement came a second pair of beats ear buds. So, now I have a pair for the tab and they sound pretty good watching movies. I haven't tried them yet with music but that will be very soon. Maybe today!!

lpt2569

Feb 1, 2011
Visit site
This thread has made me want to chime in for a few reasons. 1. It's nice to see a civil discussion about tablets, which includes opinions about all the different operating systems, without folks getting all nasty/snarky/I-know-more-than-you. I am a tech junkie as well, like others have said, and I agree with others' comments that it makes sense to buy the tech that works for you, that you are most comfortable with. 2. I have held off on getting a tablet too, but based on some folks comments here, it has inspired me to start looking at them again. 3. I recently picked up a Rezound on eBay, and will probably wait to activate it once the ICS update hits (my Droid Charge works perfectly fine). So I will be roaming the Rezound forums over the next few weeks, and might chime in here and there. Thanks. :)

And congrats to you skatergirl on your new tablet!

veevans01

Dec 29, 2010
Visit site
This thread has made me want to chime in for a few reasons. 1. It's nice to see a civil discussion about tablets, which includes opinions about all the different operating systems, without folks getting all nasty/snarky/I-know-more-than-you. I am a tech junkie as well, like others have said, and I agree with others' comments that it makes sense to buy the tech that works for you, that you are most comfortable with. 2. I have held off on getting a tablet too, but based on some folks comments here, it has inspired me to start looking at them again. 3. I recently picked up a Rezound on eBay, and will probably wait to activate it once the ICS update hits (my Droid Charge works perfectly fine). So I will be roaming the Rezound forums over the next few weeks, and might chime in here and there. Thanks. :)

And congrats to you skatergirl on your new tablet!

We look forward to having you here. There are a lot of very helpful and friendly people in the Resound forum.

Reactions: lpt2569

NoYankees44

Dec 20, 2011
Visit site
Hmmm now I want a tablet too lol. Time to start doing all the research. The tab 300 or whatever looks awesome. The only thing is I'm a cheapo when it comes to stiff and I don't want to spend the money on one. All this talk about them may make the pull the trigger though :D

Sent from my ADR6425LVW

dpham00

Moderator Team VP
Apr 23, 2011
Visit site
Hmmm now I want a tablet too lol. Time to start doing all the research. The tab 300 or whatever looks awesome. The only thing is I'm a cheapo when it comes to stiff and I don't want to spend the money on one. All this talk about them may make the pull the trigger though :D

Sent from my ADR6425LVW

I am cheap so I got the touchpad 32GB for $120.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
wei34