Welcome to the Android Central Forums Create Your Account or Ask a Question Answers in 5 minutes - no registration required!
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
Like Tree6Likes

Global Posts
    278 Global Posts

Default Re: ICS update leaks on vzw doc!

Quote Originally Posted by MrSmith317 View Post
    I'm running CleanROM DE and before that Xtreme Outcast's Senseless ROM. Neither of them have any stability issues and both run faster than GB.
    Maybe I should just install the leak since I have s-off now, so ICS will run better on my device. We can go back to GB firmware easily now that we have s-off right? I am just concerned about the kernel issues in the ICS leak.
    Mr Fix-It

ROM
    Stock Rooted

Quote Originally Posted by Stelv View Post
    Maybe I should just install the leak since I have s-off now, so ICS will run better on my device. We can go back to GB firmware easily now that we have s-off right? I am just concerned about the kernel issues in the ICS leak.
    There may be issues with the leaked kernel but not with the version that most of the ROMs are using.
    Around here, however, we don't look backwards for very long.
    We keep moving forward, opening up new doors and doing new things,
    because we're curious...and curiosity keeps leading us down new paths.

-Walt Disney
    Thanked by:
    Stelv 

Global Posts
    341 Global Posts

There may be issues with the leaked kernel but not with the version that most of the ROMs are using.
    You mean leaked firmware not kernel.

Quote Originally Posted by BigCTM View Post
    I do because I do not like to root or use custom roms. I have used custom roms in the past and they are more trouble than they are worth. Just my opinion...

Sent from my HTC Rezound using Tapatalk 2
    What leads you to the belief all the Rezound roms are more trouble than they are worth?
    Don't base that off what you've experienced in the past, on other phones, it's not a given fact. Some roms do have issues early on but most of the GB & ICS roms that have been around for a couple months are rock solid daily drivers now. It's unfair to close your mind on it unless you've gotten your toes wet w/ a Rez rom or two.

Global Posts
    8,458 Global Posts
    ROM
    Stock 4.4 (KitKat)

It's good to see carrier ICS update documents being leaked. It gives us hope that various phones will be upgraded soon if all goes well with testing/distribution.

Global Posts
    238 Global Posts

Quote Originally Posted by humpagardengnome View Post
    What leads you to the belief all the Rezound roms are more trouble than they are worth?
    Don't base that off what you've experienced in the past, on other phones, it's not a given fact. Some roms do have issues early on but most of the GB & ICS roms that have been around for a couple months are rock solid daily drivers now. It's unfair to close your mind on it unless you've gotten your toes wet w/ a Rez rom or two.
    I am not saying anything about the current roms. I am just saying that I no longer care to root or use custom roms based on prior experiences. The new ones might be better but my phone does everything I need it to using stock.

Sent from my HTC Rezound using Tapatalk 2

Global Posts
    166 Global Posts

Seems like the other updates from the leaked photos are happening, so 5/9 for OTA ICS is looking perfect

Quote Originally Posted by cmandd View Post
    Seems like the other updates from the leaked photos are happening, so 5/9 for OTA ICS is looking perfect
    Are there any other updates detailed in the leaked doc actually happening other than the Xperia Play? I'll be watching to see if the Bionic gets updated on May 3rd.. if the doc info pans out on that, the Rezound should be ok for the 9th. =)
    Mr Fix-It

ROM
    Stock Rooted

Which of the other updates have happened? Certainly none of the Android ones. I know everyone's hoping the ICS OTA is going to happen soon but faith in these "leaked" documents is silly. Think about it this way.. If you call Verizon tech support and ask them about an update, they have no clue. Ask someone in a store, still no clue. Ask someone on a forum, they have information about some rumor they saw posted on Droid-Life. So who exactly sees this supposedly "leaked" document? Certainly nobody that interfaces with customers. On top of that we'd have seen a soak test already. A major OS update 8 days away with no real life testing..??

Sorry but this rumor and the one that will pop up on 5/10(and whenever that rumor fails) need to just stop.

-Walt Disney
    xxfallacyxx likes this.

Global Posts
    166 Global Posts

The Bionic soak test is getting ready to go out, the 5/5 update on the leak will happen pretty close to then.
    The Rhyme updated went out as scheduled.
    The original Razr updates changed from ICS, but went out as scheduled. As did the Droid 2 and Droid 4.

I know you doubt these screens, but as someone who has worked in the wireless business (and previously at VZW) I can tell you they are authentic.
    And calling VZW tech support for info? Not a good move. Tech support/CS are not all-knowing information bearers. They are regular people trained to input keywords, read flow charts and walk you through hard resetting a device.
    I called Tech Support two months after the Rezound was out, told the agent to send me a file (I wanted the VCast app store for some stupid reason) because I could install it while still on the phone and had to argue with her over the fact that the Rezound can do voice/data at the same time on 3G.
    Mr Fix-It

ROM
    Stock Rooted

I'm not doubting you...I'm doubting the information we were given.

-Walt Disney

ROM
    Viper

Which of the other updates have happened? Certainly none of the Android ones. I know everyone's hoping the ICS OTA is going to happen soon but faith in these "leaked" documents is silly. Think about it this way.. If you call Verizon tech support and ask them about an update, they have no clue. Ask someone in a store, still no clue. Ask someone on a forum, they have information about some rumor they saw posted on Droid-Life. So who exactly sees this supposedly "leaked" document? Certainly nobody that interfaces with customers. On top of that we'd have seen a soak test already. A major OS update 8 days away with no real life testing..??

Sorry but this rumor and the one that will pop up on 5/10(and whenever that rumor fails) need to just stop.
    Not discounting what you are saying, but I would seriously doubt Anyone in tech support that we would talk to would know either. I imagine they find out when we do or not long before.

I really don't know who would know lol. Verizon is so freaking big these days. We would have to talk to someone in the department that is in charge of the network probably cause they would need to "allot" the bandwidth for the downloads and such.

The biggest problem I have with this rumor is the fact that the razr is after us and everyone knows that won't happen...

Sent from my ADR6425LVW
    Galaxy S3(unlocked on whatever I feel like flashing) ---- Asus Tf300(unlocked on CROMI)
    Htc Rezound(s-off on ViperRez)

Global Posts
    736 Global Posts
    ROM
    Droid Inc JB 4.1.1

Doesn't VZW usually release a support doc on their site detailing the update and what it brings prior to the update happening? Should we have seen that by now if it was going to be May 9th?
    Mr Fix-It

ROM
    Stock Rooted

Quote Originally Posted by jiml View Post
    Doesn't VZW usually release a support doc on their site detailing the update and what it brings prior to the update happening? Should we have seen that by now if it was going to be May 9th?
    Usually docs appear as early as a week ahead of time. Usually the soak takes place 2 weeks ahead of time to make sure that the software is delivered and works the way it's expected to. Verizon should just release the RUU to the public, let us beta test it for them and work with them. But that would make too much Sense.

-Walt Disney

....I know you doubt these screens, but as someone who has worked in the wireless business (and previously at VZW) I can tell you they are authentic.
    Don't need to work in the wireless industry to know the legit docs can be templated, then used and abuse to amuse morons who still live in there parents basements. I can show you hundreds of examples in web blogs. Not saying your wrong but the past often repeats itself, ad nauseum, when dealing w/ any release of info. involving Big Red.

And calling VZW tech support for info? Not a good move. Tech support/CS are not all-knowing information bearers. They are regular people trained to input keywords, read flow charts and walk you through hard resetting a device.
    I called Tech Support two months after the Rezound was out, told the agent to send me a file (I wanted the VCast app store for some stupid reason) because I could install it while still on the phone and had to argue with her over the fact that the Rezound can do voice/data at the same time on 3G.
    Sad thing here is we'll fork over $30 on a future upgtade which is said to be for the benefit their employees product knowledge. I'm certain, 3 years from now, nothing will have changed for our benefits.

Global Posts
    401 Global Posts

But that would make too much Sense.
    I see what you did there

Think about it this way.. If you call Verizon tech support and ask them about an update, they have no clue.
    Absolutely correct. And this brings up a good point: there's good reason why tech support (and most others within the same company) do not have information on unannounced/unreleased updates. Asking tech support about an update in development is akin to asking your doctor why you hear strange moaning noises coming from your house attic. We might have a good theory but we just don't know for sure.

As someone who has worked in tech support for the better part of the last 12 years -- from taking calls to being the manager -- I've seen well-oiled machines and dysfunctional neglected departments alike. No matter how good or how poor, I can tell you that we don't normally get information on pending updates and their associated lead times. The job of a service/tech support desk is to provide assistance to products and software in the field. In most organizations, the job of writing and testing updates is put to software engineers. Once they finish writing and configuring the software, then they inform us (tech support) how it's supposed to function and what to look for when it doesn't.

Management for the support of a product is a completely different ball game from managing the engineering of it. We're smart techies too but we don't know everything.. just because we can change the oil doesn't mean we can build the car.

The job of engineering software vs supporting it requires very different office space accommodations and likewise differently skilled people to man them. The support folks need an open area so they can pool their talents and communicate fast -- a call center is often a busy, hectic environment. Software engineering is a different beast altogether, and those folks need a lot of privacy and autonomy so they can concentrate. With a couple of key exceptions, it's simply not practical for support guys to be talking to engineers about something that's not finished and thus not ready for prime time.

There's no way for you to get a reliable answer from tech support on what's coming until after the organization (Verizon in this case) announces the update. By then, tech support is either trained, or in the process of training to support the update. Prior to then, all you're going to get is guessing at best. Tech support analysts do themselves no favors when they start speculating on what's going on in departments located in buildings they're not even cleared to enter.

Sorry for the what might appear to be a rant.. I don't often see tech support folks countering the plethora of misconceptions out there and I think it's a good thing to provide a little perspective.
    Mr Fix-It

ROM
    Stock Rooted

Quote Originally Posted by Kaptain75329 View Post
    Snip...
    Sorry for the what might appear to be a rant.. I don't often see tech support folks countering the plethora of misconceptions out there and I think it's a good thing to provide a little perspective.
    I used to be Tech Support so I'd never bash the poor souls still doing it. Unless they work for Verizon lol.

-Walt Disney
    One Man Wolfpack

Global Posts
    1,001 Global Posts
    ROM
    Stock

I used to be Tech Support so I'd never bash the poor souls still doing it. Unless they work for Verizon lol.
    They have no souls. They're husks of useless solutions. Their suggestion of performing factory resets on the smallest issues is like suggesting you mortar your lawn because of ants.

Global Posts
    736 Global Posts
    ROM
    Droid Inc JB 4.1.1

So who still thinks we'll see the update a week from today? I say no. I say July 32nd we get it.
    Mr Fix-It

ROM
    Stock Rooted

Quote Originally Posted by Dovahkiin View Post
    They have no souls. They're husks of useless solutions. Their suggestion of performing factory resets on the smallest issues is like suggesting you mortar your lawn because of ants.
    That's actually not a bad idea. Did you get that from Verizon pest control?

-Walt Disney
    One Man Wolfpack

Global Posts
    1,001 Global Posts
    ROM
    Stock

That's actually not a bad idea. Did you get that from Verizon pest control?
    You're right. The more I read that to myself, the better it sounds. We should come up with a spin-off business proposal for them.

....Verizon pest control?
    I believe that was the working title of their original business plan.
    MrSmith317 and Dovahkiin like this.

Usually docs appear as early as a week ahead of time. Usually the soak takes place 2 weeks ahead of time to make sure that the software is delivered and works the way it's expected to. Verizon should just release the RUU to the public, let us beta test it for them and work with them. But that would make too much Sense.
    VzW's Rz support page says "Software Update - Coming Soon!" FWIW. Course for all I know it could have said that since before we got 2.01.605.11.

ROM
    Viper

It's the same with iPhones. Both my roommate's have them and everytime there is a problem they take them to a "genius" and all they do is wipe them. If that does mot work they get them a new one.

Also my roommate's refuse to update their phones anymore cause they get a crap ton of problems every time they do unless they wipe them.

Sent from my ADR6425LVW
    Galaxy S3(unlocked on whatever I feel like flashing) ---- Asus Tf300(unlocked on CROMI)
    Htc Rezound(s-off on ViperRez)
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast