out of space

Hotweelz

Sep 24, 2010
Visit site
Upon trying to install an app(a launcher app) I get an "out of space" error message. I can install other apps and not get this message. I even tried clearing some space and that didn't work either. Any ideas? Suggestions?

Thanks

humpagardengnome

Oct 24, 2011
Visit site
Upon trying to install an app(a launcher app) I get an "out of space" error message. I can install other apps and not get this message. I even tried clearing some space and that didn't work either. Any ideas? Suggestions?

Thanks

Have you done any uninstalls w/ fast boot enabled? How much space do you have available in phone storage? Clear your non essential app caches in sd&storage settings. Do the same, clear data on low storage card, as well, to reset it. If you have the space available on your phone and it still pulls up low storage then you may have to clear data in contacts and contacts storage, as well. I had a similar issue on my DX2 w/ two apps that clogged up contacts storage by storing hundredss of multiple entries in phone storage which I was unaware of. That may not be your issue but it might if you have alot of apps w/ read/write contacts permissions.If you can't figure it out you may need to do an factory reset, at some point, though. Hope someone else has more options to share before that is the case.

Hotweelz

Sep 24, 2010
Visit site
Have you done any uninstalls w/ fast boot enabled? How much space do you have available in phone storage? Clear your non essential app caches in sd&storage settings. Do the same, clear data on low storage card, as well, to reset it. If you have the space available on your phone and it still pulls up low storage then you may have to clear data in contacts and contacts storage, as well. I had a similar issue on my DX2 w/ two apps that clogged up contacts storage by storing hundredss of multiple entries in phone storage which I was unaware of. That may not be your issue but it might if you have alot of apps w/ read/write contacts permissions.If you can't figure it out you may need to do an factory reset, at some point, though. Hope someone else has more options to share before that is the case.

I think I have done an uninstall with fastboot enabled. My phone storage is 10.34GB. My internal storage is 2.1 GB. I cleared data on nonessential apps. Still not working for the launcher app I try to install but will install any other apps.:confused:

humpagardengnome

Oct 24, 2011
Visit site
I think I have done an uninstall with fastboot enabled. My phone storage is 10.34GB. My internal storage is 2.1 GB. I cleared data on nonessential apps. Still not working for the launcher app I try to install but will install any other apps.:confused:

It looks like your looking at a factory reset then. This is from htc support, their recommendations.......I understand your device is providing you with a message stating low on memory. I know how important it is to have your device function properly and I will be happy to assist you. There are a few things that can cause your device to receive this message. Basically, it all comes down to memory. If you have a lot of text messages, emails, or applications on your device that you no longer need, I would suggest deleting them. Items like pictures, music, and any documents you have on your device are automatically stored on the SD card and actually cannot even be saved on the device?s internal memory, so you don?t need to worry about them. Another thing that can take up memory on the device are temporary Internet files. These accrue just by browsing the Internet on your device. The more you browse, the more these will build up. You can delete these by opening the Internet and tapping Menu> More> Settings. Scroll down and tap Clear all cookie data, Clear cache, and Clear History. You can uninstall applications by opening the Android Market and tapping Menu> My Apps. Tap on the application to be removed and then tap Uninstall. If still have the low memory or low on storage message I would like for you to follow the steps below: 1. Connect your device to your computer with the USB cable and select Disk Drive mode from the notification panel. 2. Proceed to My Computer/Computer and open the Removable disk. 3. Locate the Downloads folder. 4. Locate a .mail folder within the Download folder and then delete the .mail folder. This folder has a fixed size and once reached can give low memory errors or cause problems sending and receiving email, especially with attachments. This only works if you have or had an Exchange account on the device. If there has been no Exchange account, you will not locate the .mail folder. Once these steps have been performed, I would like for you to power off your device and remove the battery for 10 seconds. Once the 10 seconds is up, I would like you to replace the battery and power on the device. Once the device is on, test your device. If this does not resolve the issue, a Factory Data Reset may be necessary. This will reset the phone to factory settings and reinstall Android to the device. Please note that this will remove any data you have on the device?s internal memory. This does include your contacts. You will be able to save any Phone contacts to your SD card. This is done by opening the People application then tap Menu> Import/Export> Export to SD Card then choose Phone contacts. This will save all your Phone contacts to your SD card. Once the reset has been performed you will go back to People> Menu> Import/Export> Import from SD card. If you have any Google contacts, these are already synced to Google. Any data like pictures and music that are saved to the SD card will not be touched if you reset the device. To reset your phone, tap Home> Menu> Settings> SD Card & Phone Storage> Factory Data Reset. Follow the on screen prompts and the device will reset. Once the reset is complete, set up and use your device as normal. *Note: If you have pictures saved to the internal memory of your device, I have included an attachment that provides steps on how to move these items to your SD card. I had to include as an attachment due to 4,000 character limit. The attachment may not come as an attachment to your email address. Instead, it will be attached specifically to this ticket, so when you go to the ContactUs link provided elsewhere in this email to log in as if you were to reply, all you will need to do is scroll down to my response. A few columns to the right of that should be the column titled Attached File; in the same row as my reply you can find my attachment and download it directly from there. Sincerely, Lisa HTC

Reactions: Hotweelz

Lactose The Intolerant

Jun 1, 2010
Visit site
It looks like your looking at a factory reset then. This is from htc support, their recommendations.......I understand your device is providing you with a message stating low on memory. I know how important it is to have your device function properly and I will be happy to assist you. There are a few things that can cause your device to receive this message. Basically, it all comes down to memory. If you have a lot of text messages, emails, or applications on your device that you no longer need, I would suggest deleting them. Items like pictures, music, and any documents you have on your device are automatically stored on the SD card and actually cannot even be saved on the device?s internal memory, so you don?t need to worry about them. Another thing that can take up memory on the device are temporary Internet files. These accrue just by browsing the Internet on your device. The more you browse, the more these will build up. You can delete these by opening the Internet and tapping Menu> More> Settings. Scroll down and tap Clear all cookie data, Clear cache, and Clear History. You can uninstall applications by opening the Android Market and tapping Menu> My Apps. Tap on the application to be removed and then tap Uninstall. If still have the low memory or low on storage message I would like for you to follow the steps below: 1. Connect your device to your computer with the USB cable and select Disk Drive mode from the notification panel. 2. Proceed to My Computer/Computer and open the Removable disk. 3. Locate the Downloads folder. 4. Locate a .mail folder within the Download folder and then delete the .mail folder. This folder has a fixed size and once reached can give low memory errors or cause problems sending and receiving email, especially with attachments. This only works if you have or had an Exchange account on the device. If there has been no Exchange account, you will not locate the .mail folder. Once these steps have been performed, I would like for you to power off your device and remove the battery for 10 seconds. Once the 10 seconds is up, I would like you to replace the battery and power on the device. Once the device is on, test your device. If this does not resolve the issue, a Factory Data Reset may be necessary. This will reset the phone to factory settings and reinstall Android to the device. Please note that this will remove any data you have on the device?s internal memory. This does include your contacts. You will be able to save any Phone contacts to your SD card. This is done by opening the People application then tap Menu> Import/Export> Export to SD Card then choose Phone contacts. This will save all your Phone contacts to your SD card. Once the reset has been performed you will go back to People> Menu> Import/Export> Import from SD card. If you have any Google contacts, these are already synced to Google. Any data like pictures and music that are saved to the SD card will not be touched if you reset the device. To reset your phone, tap Home> Menu> Settings> SD Card & Phone Storage> Factory Data Reset. Follow the on screen prompts and the device will reset. Once the reset is complete, set up and use your device as normal. *Note: If you have pictures saved to the internal memory of your device, I have included an attachment that provides steps on how to move these items to your SD card. I had to include as an attachment due to 4,000 character limit. The attachment may not come as an attachment to your email address. Instead, it will be attached specifically to this ticket, so when you go to the ContactUs link provided elsewhere in this email to log in as if you were to reply, all you will need to do is scroll down to my response. A few columns to the right of that should be the column titled Attached File; in the same row as my reply you can find my attachment and download it directly from there. Sincerely, Lisa HTC

Wall of text crits you for 834 points. :p

jimbl

Aug 2, 2010
Visit site
Ugh. I had problems like this so bad with my Inc. I thought they would have fixed these issues since then.

So what is the problem with uninstalling apps with fastboot enabled?