Welcome to the Android Central Forums Create Your Account or Ask a Question Answers in 5 minutes - no registration required!
Like Tree1Likes
  • 1 Post By gpmurray
  1. Thread Author  Thread Author    #1  
    Lovin' My Phone

Question "Unfortunately Google Sync has stopped working"

This issue might be an Ice Cream Sandwich issue, and since we may be getting ICS soon on our Rezounds and this is the one place where all the experts hang out, I thought I would post this question/issue here.

Ok ... my tablet is ICS. It has a Google Calendar. Not all my appointments are syncing over to the tablet calendar. There are some events there, but at least half of all calendar events are missing and every time I create a new event I get the "Unfortunately Google Sync has stopped working" message on the tablet ... which I have gotten since I activated the tab.

I use Sync2 and create most of my appointments with Outlook and then Sync2 moves them over to Google and my phone. However, I get this same issue even when I create the event in the Google calendar, before Sync2 gets its hands on it.

From the research I have done, it seems that there is a basic sync issue between Google Calendar Sync and ICS.

Is there anyone who has experienced this issue and who might have a solution.

Thanks!
    ~Janet~
    Mr Fix-It

ROM
    Stock Rooted

Default Re: "Unfortunately Google Sync has stopped working"

That sounds like a software issue. Are you up to date on the system software?
    Around here, however, we don't look backwards for very long.
    We keep moving forward, opening up new doors and doing new things,
    because we're curious...and curiosity keeps leading us down new paths.

-Walt Disney
    Thanked by:
  3. Thread Author  Thread Author    #3  
    Lovin' My Phone

Well, you are right. It could be software issue, but I can't find that out either because when I check for an update I get THIS message: "Network coverage is currently poor. Please move to a location with better coverage to continue."

I am not having a network problem. The connection is "excellent." I am in the same room as the router and going online.

I really want to like this tablet, but man o man, it is software-buggy. I have 45 days to return it. I might do it today. I may try a reset first ... UGH! I just got it set up.
    ~Janet~
    Banned

Global Posts
    5,774 Global Posts
    ROM
    Something JB

How about a data wipe of the calender and let it totally resync?
    Thanked by:
  5. Thread Author  Thread Author    #5  
    Lovin' My Phone

Quote Originally Posted by piizzadude View Post
    How about a data wipe of the calender and let it totally resync?
    Yes, I did that. Nothing changed.
    ~Janet~

Quote Originally Posted by skatergirl View Post
    Yes, I did that. Nothing changed.
    GCS, MO & ICS are not off to a good start together. Log into your account at google.com/calendar on a pc and see if ther's any direct server issues being reported on Googles end. See if you run into any errors on their site.
    Thanked by:
  7. Thread Author  Thread Author    #7  
    Lovin' My Phone

Quote Originally Posted by humpagardengnome View Post
    GCS, MO & ICS are not off to a good start together. Log into your account at google.com/calendar on a pc and see if ther's any direct server issues being reported on Googles end. See if you run into any errors on their site.
    I logged in on a PC and there are no problems. As well, my calendar is fine between the PC and my phone.

So, to update the situation, if one can consider this an update rather than a waste of time, I did the dreaded factory reset, twice, and got stuck dealing with horribly challenging ACER customer service.

I was finally sent to an office in what I believe was the United States. The tech there told me that ACER was pushing out an update today/tonight because the message of "being too far from the network" to check for an update was a known issue. He said maybe that update would clear up both issues.

Well, the network error message is now gone. However, the calendar issue is still alive and well.

So, when I have the wherewithal to get back on the phone to to tell them the calendar issue is still in need of repair, I will report this issue.

I have faith this situation is going to be resolved somehow. Maybe the tablet is defective. I don't think so. Everything else is working fine and I think it is a software issue that can be remedied ... at least I hope!
    ~Janet~

I logged in on a PC and there are no problems. As well, my calendar is fine between the PC and my phone.

So, to update the situation, if one can consider this an update rather than a waste of time, I did the dreaded factory reset, twice, and got stuck dealing with horribly challenging ACER customer service.

I was finally sent to an office in what I believe was the United States. The tech there told me that ACER was pushing out an update today/tonight because the message of "being too far from the network" to check for an update was a known issue. He said maybe that update would clear up both issues.

Well, the network error message is now gone. However, the calendar issue is still alive and well.

So, when I have the wherewithal to get back on the phone to to tell them the calendar issue is still in need of repair, I will report this issue.

I have faith this situation is going to be resolved somehow. Maybe the tablet is defective. I don't think so. Everything else is working fine and I think it is a software issue that can be remedied ... at least I hope!
    I didn't know you had an Acer. This makes sense now, there have been massive server issues on Acers end of the push out of the ICS update for one of their tablets since last week. Should be a temp. inconveinience.
    Thanked by:
  9. Thread Author  Thread Author    #9  
    Lovin' My Phone

My tablet, the A510, came with ICS out of the box.

This calendar issue is not the worst thing that could be happening, because my calendar works fine on my phone. I just, of course, want everything to eventually work properly.

Right now, everything else is great.
    ~Janet~

My tablet, the A510, came with ICS out of the box.

This calendar issue is not the worst thing that could be happening, because my calendar works fine on my phone. I just, of course, want everything to eventually work properly.

Right now, everything else is great.
    I hear ya, it's a bummer when new toys wanna rain on the parade. Fwiw, you may want to go through your calendar and look for recurring events that aren't saved as all day affairs. I read some posts that noted some events aren't dealing with syncing and the exporting of future events if they look similar to a previous one, like they did normally in GB, for some reason. There's definitely some bugginess to be patched up w/ those
    sync errors.
  11. Thread Author  Thread Author    #11  
    Lovin' My Phone

Quote Originally Posted by humpagardengnome View Post
    I hear ya, it's a bummer when new toys wanna rain on the parade. Fwiw, you may want to go through your calendar and look for recurring events that aren't saved as all day affairs. I read some posts that noted some events aren't dealing with syncing and the exporting of future events if they look similar to a previous one, like they did normally in GB, for some reason. There's definitely some bugginess to be patched up w/ those
    sync errors.
    Yes, it is a bummer when a new toy rains on your parade. This tab has a lot of positives but it is a major Diva! Every time it gets the slightest bit bothered it freezes up on me. I am trying to get it to accept a bluetooth keyboard and so far all I've gotten is a gray screen LOL!
    ~Janet~

I'm having the same issue on my Verizon Galaxy S3. It freezes my phone up everytime it stops.

Just curious, why did you go with an Acer rather than one of the Transformer variants?

Sent from my ADR6425LVW using Tapatalk 2

I have the syncing problem with my google contacts not my calendar or anything else I have a rezound

Sent from my ADR6425LVW using Android Central Forums

I want to thank the person in this forum who suggested disabling the Samsung Kies calendar on the Samsung Galaxy devices. I spent about an hour at the AT&T Device Support location trying to get help with getting the calendar to sync on my SG3. He was also perplex about why it was not working and the rep went on line to determine if it was a known issue. He suggested that I search to find if a work around had been identified. After leaving totally frustrated I decided to follow his suggestion. I was willing to do most anything short of destroying the phone and ran across the suggestion to disable the Kies calendar. In my phone I went to setings<application manager<calendar and then selected disable. After doing so as suggested I installed the Google Calendar app and everything finally sync!!! Again thank you so much for sharing this solution.
    TBolt likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by gpmurray View Post
    I want to thank the person in this forum who suggested disabling the Samsung Kies calendar on the Samsung Galaxy devices. I spent about an hour at the AT&T Device Support location trying to get help with getting the calendar to sync on my SG3. He was also perplex about why it was not working and the rep went on line to determine if it was a known issue. He suggested that I search to find if a work around had been identified. After leaving totally frustrated I decided to follow his suggestion. I was willing to do most anything short of destroying the phone and ran across the suggestion to disable the Kies calendar. In my phone I went to setings<application manager<calendar and then selected disable. After doing so as suggested I installed the Google Calendar app and everything finally sync!!! Again thank you so much for sharing this solution.
    Glad you found your solution, and welcome to the forum!
    Palm Treo 650 > Treo 700p > BB Curve 8330 > DInc (r) > Rezound (r) > OG Moto X
    Transformer Pad Infinity (r) > iPad Air 2

I have a HTC Sensation and recently had to do a complete reset and wipe of all my data. However after the phone was rebooted and the stock programmes loaded, I would get the "Unfortunately Google Sync has stopped". My solution was to disable the HTC Calendar App and revert to the Google Calendar App from the Play store. Since then my appointments all synced without a problem.