Like Tree1Likes
  1. Thread Author  Thread Author    #1  

Global Posts
    149 Global Posts
    ROM
    Stock

Default Display eating battery.

hey guys,

I've searched the forums here and still havent found a solid answer. I have a 1900mah mugen extended battery. I've seen people post screen shots with their battery usage and the display is usually 40% and under. I've checked apps and their sync times, lowered brightness to a minimal, lowered screen time out to 30 sec and still my battery usage has the display as 80%+ while everything else is 9% and under. I'm stock running software version 2.01.605.11. any way to get this usage to normal. thanks in advance guys.
    Bearded

ROM
    Business Sense ICS

Default Re: Display eating battery.

I just checked my usage stats, screen is using ~60%

The screen percentage will go down when your screen is not on as much, it's as simple as that. If you're turning the screen on every 10 minutes to check something, it's going to use power.

Usage as well only refers to a percentage of drain, it does not imply that the screen has drained 80% of your battery. How long does your battery last between charges and what is your normal usage of the phone?
  3. Thread Author  Thread Author    #3  

Global Posts
    149 Global Posts
    ROM
    Stock

Quote Originally Posted by xxfallacyxx View Post
    I just checked my usage stats, screen is using ~60%

The screen percentage will go down when your screen is not on as much, it's as simple as that. If you're turning the screen on every 10 minutes to check something, it's going to use power.

Usage as well only refers to a percentage of drain, it does not imply that the screen has drained 80% of your battery. How long does your battery last between charges and what is your normal usage of the phone?
    battery usually lasts 5 to 6 hours with lite to moderate usage. Im a moderate user unless it's a situation where i'm extremely bored. But for a normal day when I'm only playing a few turns in words with friends and mostly texting throughout the day I would expect it to last a little longer than it has been lately.
    Bearded

ROM
    Business Sense ICS

Other settings? Wifi/4G, bluetooth, GPS?

4G data eats through battery power and I don't recall it ever being listed on battery usage stats. You're right that 5-6 hours is not good, especially considering you've got the 1900mAh battery.

In this aspect, the more detailed you are about your actual usage the better we will be able to offer help.

Going from stock to the 1900 mA is.not a.significant difference in battery power. I just got the 2750mA from Verizon (on sale in the store at 50% off). I am getting 2x plus what my usage was on stock.

I don't turn off 4g because my work does not have WiFi access.

The screen is a hd screen and will be your heaviest battery drain.

Have you tries juice defender?
  6. Thread Author  Thread Author    #6  

Global Posts
    149 Global Posts
    ROM
    Stock

Other settings? Wifi/4G, bluetooth, GPS?

4G data eats through battery power and I don't recall it ever being listed on battery usage stats. You're right that 5-6 hours is not good, especially considering you've got the 1900mAh battery.

In this aspect, the more detailed you are about your actual usage the better we will be able to offer help.
    Ok lets see:

I live and work in a great 4G area that holds a constant signal, wifi is off, GPS is off except for google location services, both vzw and standalone GPS are always off, wifi is always off.

I don't use any animated wallpapers, only widgets used are people widget, clock/weather widget(weather is set to update every hour), power dashboard, google agenda widget, tasks, and music widget.

I dont use facebook app or twitter app. I do use plume but I have notifications turned off and auto refresh turned to manual. no media services running (pandora,iheartradio, youtube)

The main things i use daily are dolphin hd internet(mostly light to sometimes moderate use)
    Sometimes a turn or two in draw something and words with friends.moderate texting throughout the day, no phone calls. bluetooth is off exept when driving. A few emails throughout the day. That's my normal daily usage.
    Bearded

ROM
    Business Sense ICS

Do you have wifi at work and home? If so, it's safe to leave wifi on as it draws less power to transmit data through wifi than it does through 4G. Think of it this way: When on wifi, your phone has to transmit a signal strong enough to travel the distance to your closest cell tower, whereas when on wifi it's only got to transmit the signal to your nearest router. As well, I think on factory settings wifi is set to scan once every 60 seconds, and unless you actually connect to a network it goes back to inactive until the next 60 second scan interval.

Juice Defender *may* help, but I usually don't recommend it. I've always found it's possible to be more mindful of your own usage than it is to rely on JD. What percentage brightness do you set your screen to? I find usually 10%-15% is great for indoor viewing, and obviously uses less power than the 50% toggle from the HTC widget.
  8. Thread Author  Thread Author    #8  

Global Posts
    149 Global Posts
    ROM
    Stock

I will start using wifi more at home. It may be that the battery still is not used to my usage patterns yet to be more effecient. but I will definitely tweak some settings more to try to get the full benefit.

The more efficient everything else is on your phone, the higher the display percentage will be. The display is always on when you are using the phone, so if you've reduced display brightness as low as is comfortable then that is about it. To me a high display usage percentage is a GOOD thing - it means nothing else is sucking on your battery.
    Bearded

ROM
    Business Sense ICS

That would be understandable if the OP (she?) weren't getting 5-6 hour charges on a 1900mAh battery.

ROM
    Stock until 4.0.4 hits

Quote Originally Posted by babytazz18 View Post
    Ok lets see:

I live and work in a great 4G area that holds a constant signal, wifi is off, GPS is off except for google location services, both vzw and standalone GPS are always off, wifi is always off.

I don't use any animated wallpapers, only widgets used are people widget, clock/weather widget(weather is set to update every hour), power dashboard, google agenda widget, tasks, and music widget.

I dont use facebook app or twitter app. I do use plume but I have notifications turned off and auto refresh turned to manual. no media services running (pandora,iheartradio, youtube)

The main things i use daily are dolphin hd internet(mostly light to sometimes moderate use)
    Sometimes a turn or two in draw something and words with friends.moderate texting throughout the day, no phone calls. bluetooth is off exept when driving. A few emails throughout the day. That's my normal daily usage.
    You do all this and only get 5-6 hours on an extended battery? It might be time to consider that fact you got a bunk battery... or a bunk phone.

What sort of life do you get on the stock 1620 mAh battery?

ROM
    Viper

That life is way too low with your described usage. I get a minimum of 12 hours on stock battery with only using 4g. Most days I get around 16 hours+. I am on stock battery. Something is wrong with your battery or phone.

What is you wake time look like and what is your email check interval? Do you charge your phone completely?

Sent from my ADR6425LVW
    Galaxy S3(unlocked on whatever I feel like flashing) ---- Asus Tf300(unlocked on CROMI)
    Htc Rezound(s-off on ViperRez) -- Addicted to crack and retired
  13. Thread Author  Thread Author    #13  

Global Posts
    149 Global Posts
    ROM
    Stock

Quote Originally Posted by NoYankees44 View Post
    That life is way too low with your described usage. I get a minimum of 12 hours on stock battery with only using 4g. Most days I get around 16 hours+. I am on stock battery. Something is wrong with your battery or phone.

What is you wake time look like and what is your email check interval? Do you charge your phone completely?

Sent from my ADR6425LVW
    I'm starting to think it may be the battery. Sometime this week I'm going to use the stock battery to see if there is any noticable difference.
    nerds are super heroes too!!!!!
  14. Thread Author  Thread Author    #14  

Global Posts
    149 Global Posts
    ROM
    Stock

That would be understandable if the OP (she?) weren't getting 5-6 hour charges on a 1900mAh battery.
    Lol I'm a guy.
    Bearded

ROM
    Business Sense ICS

My bad haha.

ROM
    To embarrassed to say

I saw some debate on third party batteries, and how good they actually are. One guy tested some 4000 Mah battery and it lasted the same as his 2750. He did an actual bench test, streamed the same movie over 4g with the screen on over and over until the phone shut off.

What is your actual screen on time? I can get about 2-3 hours of screen on time surfing 4g that entire time, which is about 11 actual hours. Check this by touching the screen percentage on the power screen. This is a stock battery.

Don't use Juice Defender, unless your never going to use your phone. If you pull it out of your pocket even just a few times an hour, it's not going to do anything. (I'll debate it does anything anyway)

I actually leave the GPS and Google services on, and shut off the Verizon ones. Unless you use an app that keeps pinging the GPS, it rarely turns on.

I'm rooted, so I would expect stock to last you 1.5 - 2 hours of screen on time, so shoot for something close to that.
    Took the S4 update on purpose, so I could not mess with my phone.... so so so stupid.
    Thanked by:
    HES

Global Posts
    390 Global Posts

Quote Originally Posted by babytazz18 View Post
    battery usually lasts 5 to 6 hours with lite to moderate usage. Im a moderate user unless it's a situation where i'm extremely bored. But for a normal day when I'm only playing a few turns in words with friends and mostly texting throughout the day I would expect it to last a little longer than it has been lately.
    That sort of battery life is inexcusable. Here is my experience

Your options are this:

Switch to the stock battery and see if your phone chews through it. If yes return the phone. If no then demand an exchange of the 3rd party battery.

Rezound 1, returned it due to the boot loop issue (which no one at Verizon could fix)

Rezound 2, returned it due to eating batteries akin to what you are experiencing

Rezound 3, couldn't be happier.

All three phones were powered with the same battery. I was lucky in that my wife has a Rezound as well and we switched batteries to check that part out.

I think this is just case where there are some bad units out there.
    Thanked by:
  18. Thread Author  Thread Author    #18  

Global Posts
    149 Global Posts
    ROM
    Stock

My bad haha.
    Lol it's cool..no harm done
  19. Thread Author  Thread Author    #19  

Global Posts
    149 Global Posts
    ROM
    Stock

Quote Originally Posted by HES View Post
    That sort of battery life is inexcusable. Here is my experience

Your options are this:

Switch to the stock battery and see if your phone chews through it. If yes return the phone. If no then demand an exchange of the 3rd party battery.

Rezound 1, returned it due to the boot loop issue (which no one at Verizon could fix)

Rezound 2, returned it due to eating batteries akin to what you are experiencing

Rezound 3, couldn't be happier.

All three phones were powered with the same battery. I was lucky in that my wife has a Rezound as well and we switched batteries to check that part out.

I think this is just case where there are some bad units out there.
    Yeah, I will see how things work with my stock battery and if its the same then yeah I will look at getting another phone and if not return the rxtended battery if that's the issue. Thanks to everyone for the advice
  20. Thread Author  Thread Author    #20  

Global Posts
    149 Global Posts
    ROM
    Stock

Quote Originally Posted by twolastnames View Post
    I saw some debate on third party batteries, and how good they actually are. One guy tested some 4000 Mah battery and it lasted the same as his 2750. He did an actual bench test, streamed the same movie over 4g with the screen on over and over until the phone shut off.

What is your actual screen on time? I can get about 2-3 hours of screen on time surfing 4g that entire time, which is about 11 actual hours. Check this by touching the screen percentage on the power screen. This is a stock battery.

Don't use Juice Defender, unless your never going to use your phone. If you pull it out of your pocket even just a few times an hour, it's not going to do anything. (I'll debate it does anything anyway)

I actually leave the GPS and Google services on, and shut off the Verizon ones. Unless you use an app that keeps pinging the GPS, it rarely turns on.

I'm rooted, so I would expect stock to last you 1.5 - 2 hours of screen on time, so shoot for something close to that.
    Right now the screen percentage is sitting at 72% with 3hrs 10mins and 52 secs screen on time and 7hrs 34mins and 24secs on battery due to me having been home since 5pm and running on my home wifi network and wifi is at 5%

Mine is always above 90% and with that i get 4hrs battery life.I also tried an extended battery od 3500 mhA and it did 7-8 hrs but phone feels like a huge rock!So damn thick,not logical.
    Right now its 98%...Wil try to post a screenie

Here u go
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Display eating battery.-screenshot_2012-11-18-20-34-10.png  

ROM
    CM9/Countershrike v. 2.3A

Quote Originally Posted by leechgod27 View Post
    Here u go
    Haha, old thread revival! In any case, mine eats batteries too. One of these days I'll figure out the trick to not having to charge multiple times a day... But for now, I just charge frequently and carry a spare battery.

Sent from my ADR6425LVW using Tapatalk 2

ROM
    Nexus 4 (Beanstalk/Aio)

The trick is very simple... don't use it!!! The Rezound will average 2-2.5 hours of screen on-time on a standard battery, and 3.5-5 hours on an extended battery, THAT IS IT!!! The Rezound's screen is the largest user of power in the device, the one of the least in your control other than simple brightness settings. The low battery life is just the price we pay for the quality of the screen at the time (newer phones have more efficient displays).
    Current Phones: Google Nexus 4 on Aio Wireless (Beanstalk Official KitKat ROM) / LG G2 on Verizon (CarbonROM KitKat)
    Current Tablets: Apple iPad 4 & Nextbook 8 Premium with marxo's N8+ ROM - Revision 1b2 (ICS 4.0.4)
    Previous Android Devices: HTC Rezound, HTC Incredible 2, Samsung Stratosphere, HTC Aria, Samsung Galaxy S2 Skyrocket
    Thanked by:
    TheAutoMomma likes this.
    Banned

Global Posts
    5,774 Global Posts
    ROM
    Something JB

YEAH! WHAT HE SAID!

Sent from my X-Band Modem... TY Genesis
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast