What will ICS REALLY do for my phone???

xxfallacyxx

Bearded
Aug 18, 2011
Visit site
Depending on what VZW does to the update when it's in their hands, you might very well see a noticeable performance improvement due to the fact that ICS is optimized for multi-core devices.

MrSmith317

Mr Fix-It
Mar 1, 2010
Visit site
Is it that big a deal? I mean what is the real difference? Why is everyone soooo eager??

Updates are most Android forum goer's crack. They don't quite know why but they need it and they would do nasty things to get them.

To answer your real question. ICS changes the GUI, provides enhanced CPU utilization, power consumption ehancements, allows the ability to manually lock/disable unwanted apps(probably why Verizon is dragging their feet), and finally has a standard themeing framework for applications. Most of which mean nothing to normal users.

humpagardengnome

Oct 24, 2011
Visit site
Rather than break the benefits down technically, b/c there are numerous reasons. Think of ICS as this. Your Rezound on GB/Sense 3.5 makes you happy. ICS 4.0.3/Sense 3.6 or 4.0 makes your phone happy.

anon(94115)

Banned
Nov 29, 2010
Visit site
Updates are most Android forum goer's crack. They don't quite know why but they need it and they would do nasty things to get them.

Truer words were never spoken. Personally I am on a 12 step plan to get over my addiction until the official ICS OTA comes out.

I got a little fix here and there by flashing a couple of splash screens, doing s-off and the like....

I was close to cracking with the new ROM that came out last night. Actually I did flash it, but changed my mind halfway through and went back

Dovahkiin

One Man Wolfpack
Nov 17, 2011
Visit site
Would Nova Launcher or any of the stock ICS themed launchers work with a skinned version of ICS?
ICS has that sexy blue and black theme going for it. I want it. Sense 3.6 looks kinda...Gingerbready.

MrSmith317

Mr Fix-It
Mar 1, 2010
Visit site
Would Nova Launcher or any of the stock ICS themed launchers work with a skinned version of ICS?
ICS has that sexy blue and black theme going for it. I want it. Sense 3.6 looks kinda...Gingerbready.

When you say skinned do you mean the full blown Rosie theme and all? Because Rosie goes bye bye when you use a 3rd party launcher.

skatergirl

Retired Moderator
Mar 22, 2011
Visit site
Ok, well I still own an ICS tablet and it acts like IT is on crack. Hopefully it is just this particular tablet and my soon to be tablet and my phone when it gets the ICS update are not on the same crack!

Dovahkiin

One Man Wolfpack
Nov 17, 2011
Visit site
When you say skinned do you mean the full blown Rosie theme and all? Because Rosie goes bye bye when you use a 3rd party launcher.

This is excellent news. I'm interested in toying around with this once official ICS hits. I'd like to find out how the phone performs on ICS by disabling Sense and using a 3rd party launcher as opposed to how it runs on a stock ICS ROM. Although I'd imagine the answer is predictable.

AstroStrat89

Mar 24, 2011
Visit site
I'm hoping they update the Beats stuff, sounds like there is more profiles on the ICS implementation. Or I guess it could be Sense 4 thing, in which case we're boned.

twolastnames

Nov 25, 2011
Visit site
This is excellent news. I'm interested in toying around with this once official ICS hits. I'd like to find out how the phone performs on ICS by disabling Sense and using a 3rd party launcher as opposed to how it runs on a stock ICS ROM. Although I'd imagine the answer is predictable.

Nova work great over a sense ics rom, I'm just not sure it's "better" (I like nova better), it just offers a stock look, with tons more functionality over stock or sense launchers, but sense is still silky smooth. The status bar and lock screen stay the same. Some roms let you use the stock LS, and there are themes to help with the status bar.

dpham00

Moderator Team VP
Apr 23, 2011
Visit site
Ok, well I still own an ICS tablet and it acts like IT is on crack. Hopefully it is just this particular tablet and my soon to be tablet and my phone when it gets the ICS update are not on the same crack!

I own a 10" tablet that I paid $ 120 for last year and have been running ICS on it for a while. I am not sure if it would make a huge difference, at least for what I use it for.

burwil

Dec 11, 2009
Visit site
The very best feature of ICS IMO is the ability to easily delete apps. I'm serious.

Sent from my hooka via a hash cloud.

anon(94115)

Banned
Nov 29, 2010
Visit site
The very best feature of ICS IMO is the ability to easily delete apps. I'm serious.

Sent from my hooka via a hash cloud.

yeah it is, but you know that sooner or later they are going to be built in "features" of the OS that cannot be removed...if you close one door, VZW will open another.

Either that or make you do a restore to get updates if you remove "let's golf"

humpagardengnome

Oct 24, 2011
Visit site
yeah it is, but you know that sooner or later they are going to be built in "features" of the OS that cannot be removed...if you close one door, VZW will open another.

Either that or make you do a restore to get updates if you remove "let's golf"

Nice thing about that is when they close the new doorways, someone usually finds a way around the closed door and unlatches the sliding glass door out back for those of us who wanna peek inside.

dmark44

Mar 2, 2012
Visit site
Besides deleting preinstalled apps, one feature that I'll appreciate is being able to access the notification bar from the lock screen.

stephanie85

Jun 29, 2011
Visit site
Well if it melts on top of your phone it will make a sticky mess and possibly get under the screen and cause damage ....cell phones do not eat so I doubt ics will be enjoyed by your phone.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Very-Annoyed