Verizon Rumor - Killing grandfathered unlimited plans

Droid800

Banned
Mar 31, 2010
Visit site
Call Verizon. Told me I can keep the unlimited when I upgrade. Had her note my account but of am told otherwise I will bolt . Sprint will get my business

Sent from my Thunderbolt using Tapatalk

Good luck. They won't be making any exceptions this time around.

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using Tapatalk 2

dpham00

Moderator Team VP
Apr 23, 2011
Visit site
Call Verizon. Told me I can keep the unlimited when I upgrade. Had her note my account but of am told otherwise I will bolt . Sprint will get my business

Sent from my Thunderbolt using Tapatalk

if the article is true, it won't affect your tbolt since what they are talking about only affects users currently on a 3G device.

also, it says that 3G devices lose unlimited ONLY if they upgrade to LTE. if a current 3G device owner upgrades to another 3G device, then they will still keep unlimited.

Droid800

Banned
Mar 31, 2010
Visit site
if the article is true, it won't affect your tbolt since what they are talking about only affects users currently on a 3G device.

also, it says that 3G devices lose unlimited ONLY if they upgrade to LTE. if a current 3G device owner upgrades to another 3G device, then they will still keep unlimited.

3g devices are throttled at 2 gb.

This new change, based on how it was discussed, includes any device upgrades regardless of if they're 3g or 4g.

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using Tapatalk 2

jdk2

Oct 30, 2009
Visit site
Why don't they just come right out and say it? We want your money and we don't care how we get it! And if it takes screwing everyone of you over, we will!

Oh wait....I think Shammo already did :mad:

Ry

Moderator Captain
Trusted Member
Nov 16, 2010
Visit site
Why don't they just come right out and say it? We want your money and we don't care how we get it! And if it takes screwing everyone of you over, we will!

Oh wait....I think Shammo already did :mad:

..they're not ready to make it official yet.

But this shouldn't come as a surprise- especially users to tech savvy users who keep up with this kind of stuff by reading tech sites and posting on forums.

Sent from my DROID BIONIC using Android Central Forums

jim2112

Dec 7, 2011
Visit site
The way they did the air cards was force new plan

I have a 3g grandfathered unlimited air card plan. If I get Verizon to subsidize my new air card and sign onto an new plan I lose my unlimited status. The answer was to buy a new one at full price and keep my unlimited plan. Problem with that is, they don't sell a 3G card any more. I can get one off ebay or another source and have them activate it on my number if I have to. I was going to buy a new 4G air card at full price and enjoy the benefits of the faster speed, but Verizon said they would not consider a 4G device part of my 3G plan, so if I wanted 4G, I had to sign onto a new plan and lose my unlimited data plan.

Roll forward to my Verizon Motorola droid, I was able to upgrade my device on a phone plan to a 4G phone, and keep our family unlimited data. This seemed to be a good deal. No extra costs, keep unlimited data plan and get 4G speed. The problem with what is proposed, is not all 4 phones on our shared plan is 4G. The primary phone on the plan is not 4G. I wonder if it switches to 4G will the entire plan lose it's unlimited status? Since I'm sure all new phones will be 4G like they did the air card, it may be check mate on the Verizon unlimited.

I have a couple of nephews who use a month to month plan, and have unlimited talk, text, and data for $45 a month. Maybe this is another option for some.

eshropshire

Oct 17, 2011
Visit site
They are getting ready for the iPhone 5. Once this is released a ton of users on 3G will be moving to LTE. Between the addition of tons of new LTE users this fall and the lack of spectrum changes are going to be happening.

I don't have unlimited Verizon - left my AT&T unlimited late last year since I figured AT&T would kill their plans which they now have effectively done with their data caps and throttling.

For those who plan to leave if this happens just wondering where you plan to go to go for unlimited data.

MrSmith317

Mr Fix-It
Mar 1, 2010
Visit site
Re: The way they did the air cards was force new plan

I have a couple of nephews who use a month to month plan, and have unlimited talk, text, and data for $45 a month. Maybe this is another option for some.

Sounds like Cricket, MetroPCS, Boost, etc.. The problem is they all suck compared to Verizon. My son has Cricket and my father has Boost and there's text lag, and the data service isn't anywhere near the level Verizon is. Which is half of the reason why I'll miss Verizon if this all comes to pass.

dpham00

Moderator Team VP
Apr 23, 2011
Visit site
Sounds like Cricket, MetroPCS, Boost, etc.. The problem is they all suck compared to Verizon. My son has Cricket and my father has Boost and there's text lag, and the data service isn't anywhere near the level Verizon is. Which is half of the reason why I'll miss Verizon if this all comes to pass.

Verizon does offer a new unlimited talk text Web plan for $50 prepaid, but it is only on crap phones.

http://www.verizon.com/b2c/splash/prepay.jsp

Dovahkiin

One Man Wolfpack
Nov 17, 2011
Visit site
I'm thinking the subject was meant more for 3G unlimited transitioning over to 4G tiered. But I won't put anything past Verizon.
Assuming they go through with this, I'm jumping ship to Sprint. What use is 4G LTE with a cap? It's like driving a Ferrari cross country with only a quarter tank of gas.
In this case, Sprint is my trusty '99 Volkswagen. Not riding in the best style or fastest speed, but damnit, I'm gonna get there.

Dovahkiin

One Man Wolfpack
Nov 17, 2011
Visit site
Looks like Verizon published an official statement and they're still looking at screwing us:
Verizon Unlimited Data addressed in official statement - SlashGear

What I got from that statement was that if you're unlimited 3G, better switch fast because you're about to be screwed later this year.
Also, I really want them to either officially confirm or officially deny the speculation that we'll be forced into a tiered 4G plan if we're grandfathered into 4G already.
This is like some sick game you see on forums, "make a wish, ruin a wish" or whatever it's called. Whatever "customers" asked for shared data, you guys suck. How is anyone gonna share 2GB?!

weave majjik

Mar 10, 2011
Visit site
I'm a little confused. How does it make a difference if you don't buy the phone through your plan? Wouldn't you still be bound by their data plan limits regardless?

Rev.

The old adage was you didn't have to change your plan unless you signed a new contract. There is a remote possibility they may permit users who pay full retail keep their unlimited plan to keep them as customers on the whole. I pay just over $220 a month for 5 phones, and would strongly consider abandoning Verizon if I was forced out, also changing the way I use my smartphone. I do see leaving Big Red as cutting off my nose to spite my face, but if you don't stand for something, but you will fall for anything... This is my personal line in the sand.

Sent from my ADR6425LVW using Tapatalk 2

humpagardengnome

Oct 24, 2011
Visit site
This is a perfect example of corporate selective listening. "Customers want to share data....we're working on it for later this year". Nevermind you the customers requesting this are doing so in response to tiered plans being far to limited in structure. So I guess not enough have complained about battery life on 4g phones for them to take action. They really do care about us, don't they?

Rev2010

Oct 26, 2010
Visit site
The old adage was you didn't have to change your plan unless you signed a new contract. There is a remote possibility they may permit users who pay full retail keep their unlimited plan to keep them as customers on the whole.

But you would still need to have Verizon activate the newly purchased device. I think at that point they'd shaft the user and require them to accept new terms or whatnot.

Rev.

weave majjik

Mar 10, 2011
Visit site
But you would still need to have Verizon activate the newly purchased device. I think at that point they'd shaft the user and require them to accept new terms or whatnot.

Rev.

I agree with your thought, but hope your wrong, for both of our sakes

humpagardengnome

Oct 24, 2011
Visit site
I agree with your thought, but hope your wrong, for both of our sakes

Unfortunately, I think it's gonna play out the same way it did when when they switched over to the requisite $30 unlimited plan if you wanted to purchase a new 3g device on upgrade, a few years back. It has all the earmarks, anyhow.

Dovahkiin

One Man Wolfpack
Nov 17, 2011
Visit site
Unfortunately, I think it's gonna play out the same way it did when when they switched over to the requisite $30 unlimited plan if you wanted to purchase a new 3g device on upgrade, a few years back. It has all the earmarks, anyhow.

I have a very basic understanding of legally binding agreements, but I think these would be the main scenarios we'll encounter assuming that Verizon goes through with this:
A.) When the change takes effect, upgrading any device in your plan will renew your contract and lock you into the new terms. You'll be warned about this and have a chance to agree or disagree, however.

B.) If under contract on 3G Unlimited, and you purchase a 4G phone for full retail after the change takes effect, Verizon will force you into tiered service regardless if you haven't renewed the contract. The defense will be that the level of service you're requesting (4G is considered a separate service from 3G, even though it's still data) is structured in tiers which are your only options. Grandfathering in was considered a courtesy to customers.

C.) You never upgrade your phone with subsidies and your contract has expired. You're now on a month-to-month basis. If Verizon goes full evil, they will cancel your service (no contract, so they aren't required to provide service until you sign back on) until you sign a contract. This new contract will have your grandfathered data eliminated.

Any legal aces out there, feel free to correct me if I'm wrong.

P.S. Oh, and Verizon has the right to terminate/void the contract at their discretion. Which you probably already knew.

MrSmith317

Mr Fix-It
Mar 1, 2010
Visit site
I have a very basic understanding of legally binding agreements, but I think these would be the main scenarios we'll encounter assuming that Verizon goes through with this:
A.) When the change takes effect, upgrading any device in your plan will renew your contract and lock you into the new terms. You'll be warned about this and have a chance to agree or disagree, however.

B.) If under contract on 3G Unlimited, and you purchase a 4G phone for full retail after the change takes effect, Verizon will force you into tiered service regardless if you haven't renewed the contract. The defense will be that the level of service you're requesting (4G is considered a separate service from 3G, even though it's still data) is structured in tiers which are your only options. Grandfathering in was considered a courtesy to customers.

C.) You never upgrade your phone with subsidies and your contract has expired. You're now on a month-to-month basis. If Verizon goes full evil, they will cancel your service (no contract, so they aren't required to provide service until you sign back on) until you sign a contract. This new contract will have your grandfathered data eliminated.

Any legal aces out there, feel free to correct me if I'm wrong.

A) yup dead on. Disagreeing means no phone/service for you. This group of people will probably keep the service anyway.

B) "Upgrading" from 3G to 4G constitutes a contract/plan change. So you go on to their new deal. This group of people will laugh their way to a new carrier.

C) Month to month would more than likely get immediately switched because you no longer have a standing contract/plan and they are subject to change. This means that since you and Verizon didn't agree to terms, that Verizon can do to you what they want. This group of people already left Verizon, and Verizon is still trying to make them pay.

Reactions: Ry

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
RemusGhostofRome