Verizon Rumor - Killing grandfathered unlimited plans

Ry

Moderator Captain
Trusted Member
Nov 16, 2010
Visit site
Looks like this is already in effect....When trying up upgrade to a 4g phone through their website, it would not let me keep my unlimited data plan and here are the screen shots (see my two attachments) of my options (even though unlimited is listed there it would not let me choose them...)... I wonder if maybe calling them could allow me to still keep unlimited data when moving to 4g or is this already implemented for good.....

I just uploaded those for proof...Here are the new data plan choices:

4gb data bundle with personal email: $30/month
10gb data bundle with personal email: $50/month
20gb data bundle with personal email: $80/month
6gb data bundle with personal email & mobile hotspot: $50/month
12gb data bundle with personal email & mobile hotspot: $70/month
22gb data bundle with personal email & mobile hotspot: $100/month

Has anyone else seen this yet?...

You have to upgrade in-store or over the phone to keep unlimited data.

Sent from my DROID BIONIC using Android Central Forums

dparish2

Mar 11, 2011
Visit site

Nope, I cannot tell you how to keep it currently but neither of those ways allows you to keep it after it rolls out.

Ry

Moderator Captain
Trusted Member
Nov 16, 2010
Visit site
Nope, I cannot tell you how to keep it currently but neither of those ways allows you to keep it after it rolls out.

um. I was replying to someone who asked about now, not after it rolls out.

zrxoa1

Apr 20, 2010
Visit site
To the person that posted those pics, your. Voice of unlimited is already highlighted for you. I go back n forth from my iPhone to the Rezound a lot and that is how my screen looks as well. They check mark the unlimited for you.

Sent from my iPhone 4 (while my HTC Rezound charges! LOL ) using Tapatalk

zrxoa1

Apr 20, 2010
Visit site
That is supposed to say choice, not . Voice, sorry!

anon(94115)

Banned
Nov 29, 2010
Visit site
Here's my question, and it's to everyone. Why would you continue to serve a master that beats you down at every turn? If this becomes a reality which in all likelihood it will. Why stick with Verizon? I know some people will say that it's the only service they get and that's fine. But to those of us with options...Verizon doesn't deserve your money if they're going to act like this.

This is my reasoning. Everywhere I need to go for work and such has solid 4G coverage. The same cannot be said for even 3G on the other carriers. I do know ATT is expanding around here, but if it isnt broke, why try to fix it?

If the pricing structure listed here is right, I am ok with this. I will end up saving $70 per month

dpham00

Moderator Team VP
Apr 23, 2011
Visit site
I wonder if I would be able to buy a smartphone from another line that didn't have unlimited data (only my line has unlimited data) and push it to my line. I did that for my first rezound. Used an upgrade from a line that currently has a dumb phone, signed up for the 4gb plan on that line, then just activated the phone onto my line and left the dumb phone on the other line.

Issemann

May 20, 2010
Visit site
You can keep the corporate discount on the $50 and above plan. No corporate discount for the $30 plan.

Not true. I get a 21% discount on both the voice and data portion of my plan. Although, it only applies to my primary line since I have a family plan.

cmandd

Aug 10, 2010
Visit site

Not true. I went to upgrade my wife's phone from an OG Droid to the Stratosphere and was able to keep unlimited data. I did see the same list of other options as well.

cmandd

Aug 10, 2010
Visit site
I wonder if I would be able to buy a smartphone from another line that didn't have unlimited data (only my line has unlimited data) and push it to my line. I did that for my first rezound. Used an upgrade from a line that currently has a dumb phone, signed up for the 4gb plan on that line, then just activated the phone onto my line and left the dumb phone on the other line.

With an LTE phone, yes. The service is tied to the SIM card, not the phone.

xxfallacyxx

Bearded
Aug 18, 2011
Visit site
Not true. I went to upgrade my wife's phone from an OG Droid to the Stratosphere and was able to keep unlimited data. I did see the same list of other options as well.

x2

I went from my Droid X to the Rezound by ordering online and handling the transfer myself. Still have the unlimited data, and once the new tiered data plans roll out, I plan on downloading a copy of the internet itself over VZW's network with my unlimited plan LOL

cmandd

Aug 10, 2010
Visit site
Looks like this is already in effect....When trying up upgrade to a 4g phone through their website, it would not let me keep my unlimited data plan and here are the screen shots (see my two attachments) of my options (even though unlimited is listed there it would not let me choose them...)... I wonder if maybe calling them could allow me to still keep unlimited data when moving to 4g or is this already implemented for good.....

I just uploaded those for proof...Here are the new data plan choices:

4gb data bundle with personal email: $30/month
10gb data bundle with personal email: $50/month
20gb data bundle with personal email: $80/month
6gb data bundle with personal email & mobile hotspot: $50/month
12gb data bundle with personal email & mobile hotspot: $70/month
22gb data bundle with personal email & mobile hotspot: $100/month

Has anyone else seen this yet?...
Like the other poster said, they already selected the unlimited for you and are just giving you other options.

I wonder what the limits are on the hotspot feature or if it pulls from that same bucket and can be used on all phones.

paintballer82

May 18, 2012
Visit site
To the person that posted those pics, your. Voice of unlimited is already highlighted for you. I go back n forth from my iPhone to the Rezound a lot and that is how my screen looks as well. They check mark the unlimited for you.

While the unlimited was selected on there, it would not let me click continue...it kept giving me the message saying my current plan was incompatible with the selected device.

twolastnames

Nov 25, 2011
Visit site
For now, Verizon offers me the best deal. When it is time to upgrade(if I choose to do so), I will shop for the best deal for me.

Loyalty means nothing at corporations, extracting the maximun amount of money is all that is important. Consumers/employees should forget about being loyal to any one company.

Not true. I just went through an It's okay to break the rules if you need to make a customer happy class at my job. Let's also not forget about regulation, union costs etc. My company just had to pay the city 5 million extra this year just to use the cable we already have in the ground. Guess who really paid for it?

If I can use just 4 gigs for both my lines, I'm happy. My wife used 200k last month. I think verizon is trying to keep people from using there phone data as their only internet source. What happened in February? They signed 4 or 5 cable companies to sell services out of each others stores. Maybe it makes then more money by selling more DSL and fios and the cable companies get more than just money for all the spectrum they sold Verizon.

dpham00

Moderator Team VP
Apr 23, 2011
Visit site
Not true. I get a 21% discount on both the voice and data portion of my plan. Although, it only applies to my primary line since I have a family plan.

i was addressing experiment626 who was asking about tiered data and discount.

you must be one of the few to pay $30 tiered data and get a data discount, no one else i have heard of have been able to get the discount on tiered data under the $50 data plan. i also know some people who were on tiered $30 plan with no discount and got the discount once they swiched to unlimited via mhs.

note that the unlimited $29.99 data plan does indeed still get a discount. this is also discussed here:

BUSINESS DISCOUNTS- After 7/7/2011 data discounts will only apply to the $50 and higher data packages on the primary line.
http://www.androidcentral.com/verizons-new-data-plans-broken-down-complete-detail

pank

Jun 12, 2010
Visit site
I guess it is what it is but really... If they are going to force me into a "shared" data plan (or tiered: whatever they will call it), let me use my phone as a hotspot then!

That would ease the pain and if you are on a tiered plan it would alleviate all the people who abuse the system now (and by abuse I'm talking about the people using 20GB a month). I would rarely use the hotspot but it would be nice to have for the occasional backup option. My 2 cents....

dpham00

Moderator Team VP
Apr 23, 2011
Visit site
You can tether even without root. Of course, it may violate tos .

I guess it is what it is but really... If they are going to force me into a "shared" data plan (or tiered: whatever they will call it), let me use my phone as a hotspot then!

That would ease the pain and if you are on a tiered plan it would alleviate all the people who abuse the system now (and by abuse I'm talking about the people using 20GB a month). I would rarely use the hotspot but it would be nice to have for the occasional backup option. My 2 cents....

trivor

Jan 15, 2011
Visit site
Let's hope at least they continue with the 4GB data plan for 4G users. I could live with that although more is better. :p

Sent from my ADR6425LVW using Tapatalk 2

That's my plan - Personally, I'm hoping the Dinc 4GLTE comes out soon while they have the Double Data promotion. I'm usually at 1-2GB a month so I can easily live with 4. While I could buy early and get unlimited for another two years on LTE I'm really concerned about my phone after that - the data prices could get worse (they shouldn't) rather than better. Once they get you on a tiered plan I don't think they will mess with the amounts any more than they mess with minutes - my family plan has 700 minutes and is grandfathered from 5 years. It is just right, almost never get close to being over and VZW network is the best.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Artistnos