"Congratulations! You have won!" pop-ups? Should I worry?

starvmarv

Aug 25, 2016
Visit site
I can confirm this worked. If I don't log into Chrome I don't get the pop-up.

So then, what now? How to troubleshoot and repair from here? Any ideas?

I thought so too, but 2 days later, it came back up on my device (After I FLASHED ROM from scratch) :( .... i am using Firefox as a work around. This error has been popping up all over other forums too.

What service are you all with? (I am with AT&T)

The forum below i found to have the most replies:

data:text/html;base64,PCFET0NU - Android OS

d3christie

Aug 23, 2016
Visit site
What has worked - go to settings, applications, application manager, find chrome/open go to more and uninstall updates, should restore to default chrome settings. Update to latest version from app store and hopefully that works for you, if having the same problem. If not good luck.

Thank you, at least so far, so good. I only got this stupid popup when I opened Chrome on my cell. I got it no matter if I was on 4G or home wifi. The popup would not delete just immediately pop back up every time I hit cancel. All I could do was restart the phone. I already had Avast on my phone, it had no effect. None of the other suggestions did either. Nothing. Then I found yours.

I did just as you instructed but did NOT install the latest version. That's been 3 days ago and so far no return. I'm no techie but it seems to me that this vicious little popup is tied to some later update of Chrome for Android. I get the message that there is an update for Chrome but I am not opting for it until and unless this popup is resolved.

Thanks for your help.

Last edited:

Roamingnome3

Mar 3, 2015
Visit site
Thank you, at least so far, so good. I only got this stupid popup when I opened Chrome on my cell. I got it no matter if I was on 4G or home wifi. The popup would not delete just immediately pop back up every time I hit cancel. All I could do was restart the phone. I already had Avast on my phone, it had no effect. None of the other suggestions did either. Nothing. Then I found yours.

I did just as you instructed but did NOT install the latest version. That's been 3 days ago and so far no return. I'm no techie but it seems to me that this vicious little popup is tied to some later update of Chrome for Android. I get the message that there is an update for Chrome but I am not opting for it until and unless this popup is resolved.

Thanks for your help.

Its Java code in your chrome browser cache; pretty sure. Go into you're settings within chrome and start deleting anything that looks suspect. Thus far I'm having no problems.

Steatopygic

Dec 8, 2016
Visit site
It is a web page injecting a pop up through Chrome. Sometimes it is put put a virus or tracking malware on your phone. Sometimes it is just an ad. When this happens hit your running apps button (the square beside home), then long press the chrome app, then press app info, then press clear data. This insures nothing is installed on your phone. Then upgrade Chrome to fix the security exploit.

Tyohni

Aug 4, 2017
Visit site
I am getting the pop ups as well. When I try to back out of the page a message appears that states my phone has been infected.

B. Diddy

Senior Ambassador
Mar 9, 2012
Visit site
I am getting the pop ups as well. When I try to back out of the page a message appears that states my phone has been infected.

Welcome to Android Central! It's not infected. You're just stuck in a web redirect. Tap the Recent Apps button, then swipe away the browser window. Avoid that website in the future.

Char Fox

Mar 3, 2014
Visit site
Mine isn't browser related but app related. Rather than try to figure out which app, I use BK Disabler, made for my Samsung and kill any Analytics, App Measurement and Campaign Tracking services and it stops. I just reset my phone and they started again but after importing my settings it stopped again. So if you have root or Samsung you can prevent this. If not, search the play store for any package disablersthat will work and kill those services.

mrdreamer714

Dec 23, 2017
Visit site
I'm really late on this really I hate these kind of damn scams because that's what it is a scam lets hope you did not fall for this scam and for the next person who comes across these kind if scam don't fall for it!!!!!!!!!! Just remove the page and kill your browser history

neon_only

Apr 12, 2018
Visit site
SOLUTION: Use your mobile data.
ISSUE: This only happens when I connect to my WiFi.
I only use data for when I am on the websites that keep getting the popup. I don't always get them.
I hope that is helpful. I know it is a waste of data but I use my WiFi for things like YouTube and other websites that don't give me the popup. I just got my Samsung S9+ and I was so upset when this kept happening.
Good luck!