Verizon's new plans

metz65

Mar 29, 2012
Visit site
I have the feeling alotta people are going to know how victim #4 felt after being coerced into signing Jerry Sanduskys' contract. I imagine renewing a 2 year will be deja vu.

Wow. Some things are okay to poke fun at others are not.
We can agree to disagree on this one but IMHO to even jokingly compare a cell phone contract to someone molested by a pedophile is just plain wrong.

Sent from my DROID RAZR MAXX using Tapatalk 2

cvette93

Sep 11, 2011
Visit site
On a serious note. What provider would you suggest switching to. In my area Verizon is fast and gets great service. F.Y.I. I am in Spartanburg SC. Does anyone know of another carrier in this area that is good???

Last edited:

xxfallacyxx

Bearded
Aug 18, 2011
Visit site
Well there is always the option (as has been mentioned already) to NOT renew your contract, but stay with VZW. You'll keep your plan the way it is, but you'll lose the option to get a new phone at subsidized price.

So... choosing NOT to extend your contract for another 2 years yields:

Pros:

Keep current data plan
Keep Verizon's network service

Cons:

Lose subsidy for upgrading phones

cvette93

Sep 11, 2011
Visit site
Well there is always the option (as has been mentioned already) to NOT renew your contract, but stay with VZW. You'll keep your plan the way it is, but you'll lose the option to get a new phone at subsidized price.
Pros:
Keep current data plan
Cons:

That's true. I just don't want to have to pay an outrageous price for a new phone. Lately Verizon's phone choices have been awful. No GNote or HTC One!

babytazz18

Jan 5, 2012
Visit site

Pros:

Keep current data plan

Cons:

actually they can change your plan if you arent on contract.

jbaileysr

May 29, 2011
Visit site
I am always 6 mos to 1 yr. behind anyway. I usually wait until a smartphone costs are next to nothing and then purchase it. Like maybe the HTC Rezound in september. Does this mean that you will have to pay full price for smartphone regardless the age?

MrSmith317

Mr Fix-It
Mar 1, 2010
Visit site
We can only hope...

Hope in one hand drop a deuce in the other and see which fills up first. Verizon has never ever backed down from public discontent. As long as they get paid they don't care. I'm voting with my wallet on this one. But since I won't be leaving until next year they won't be able to corroborate one to the other. Not that I care at this point. I've paid my Verizon dues for the last 5 years. I'm done being abused by any mobile carrier.

BTW, $700 for a phone + the same monthly fee, just means you paid $500 too much for a phone.

Dovahkiin

One Man Wolfpack
Nov 17, 2011
Visit site
Hope in one hand drop a deuce in the other and see which fills up first. Verizon has never ever backed down from public discontent. As long as they get paid they don't care. I'm voting with my wallet on this one. But since I won't be leaving until next year they won't be able to corroborate one to the other. Not that I care at this point. I've paid my Verizon dues for the last 5 years. I'm done being abused by any mobile carrier.

BTW, $700 for a phone + the same monthly fee, just means you paid $500 too much for a phone.

Amen, brother.
People are trying to justify $500 more for a new phone by comparing it to the cost of switching plans. There are no savings to be had here, I promise you, people.

List of grievances:
- Eliminating 1 year contracts
- Eliminating New Every 2
- Eliminating $100 credit for new phone
- Eliminating $50 credit for new phone
- Introducing convenience fees
- Introducing upgrade fees
- Eliminating unlimited data
- Eliminating grandfathered unlimited data

Before corporate apologists or the Verizon Defense Force storm the thread, I feel like I should say that I, and many others, have had enough. We understand that a business is a business, and money must be made. But the cost of infrastructure upgrading has gone down, while the cost to the customer has gone up. They've eliminated every perk from being a Verizon customer, and the only thing we have to fall back on it "well, it's a good network."
That's not enough for us, and we should demand more. My couple of thousand bucks a year might be a drop in the bucket, but I'm dribbling these drops over to a thirstier carrier.
*drops mic*

jimbl

Aug 2, 2010
Visit site
Wouldn't surprise me if by the time my contract is up and I'm looking to get a new phone if all the big 3 / 4 are running similar plans.

pretext

Jun 7, 2010
Visit site
Wouldn't surprise me if by the time my contract is up and I'm looking to get a new phone if all the big 3 / 4 are running similar plans.

That's what I'm thinking is gonna happen, will just have to sit back and watch.

Sent from my ADR6425LVW using Tapatalk 2

caroly72

Jan 21, 2012
Visit site
Thankfully I have a year before I get an upgrade and I hope that I will find a solution that will work for me. The shared plans are not for me. I need the unlimited data and NOT the unlimited minutes. I am a self proclaimed data whore. I went through 5 gb this month and thats just me, that doesn't include the other 2 on my plan. However, we only went through 700 minutes, if that.

anon(94115)

Banned
Nov 29, 2010
Visit site
I am not done comparing things yet, so I cannot add much to the conversation but to say verizon did back down on the 2$ fee because of consumer outrage, so it is possible that if enough people complain they will change it.

Why yes, that was a huge runon sentence....

Rezound via Tapatalk 2

dpham00

Moderator Team VP
Apr 23, 2011
Visit site
You forgot annual upgrades. I used it to get my thunderbolt a little over 13 months into my 2 years contract. When they eliminated it in January 11,they justified it by saying that people still had one year contracts. Of course in April 11,they then eliminated 1 year contracts saying that very few people used it. I for one am glad I used the one year contract that only cost $30 more when I got my thunderbolt so that I can get a gs3 now and lock in unlimited for 2 years.

Amen, brother.
People are trying to justify $500 more for a new phone by comparing it to the cost of switching plans. There are no savings to be had here, I promise you, people.

List of grievances:
- Eliminating 1 year contracts
- Eliminating New Every 2
- Eliminating $100 credit for new phone
- Eliminating $50 credit for new phone
- Introducing convenience fees
- Introducing upgrade fees
- Eliminating unlimited data
- Eliminating grandfathered unlimited data

Before corporate apologists or the Verizon Defense Force storm the thread, I feel like I should say that I, and many others, have had enough. We understand that a business is a business, and money must be made. But the cost of infrastructure upgrading has gone down, while the cost to the customer has gone up. They've eliminated every perk from being a Verizon customer, and the only thing we have to fall back on it "well, it's a good network."
That's not enough for us, and we should demand more. My couple of thousand bucks a year might be a drop in the bucket, but I'm dribbling these drops over to a thirstier carrier.
*drops mic*

318sugarhill

Jun 9, 2010
Visit site
Major B.S. For what I have now ( I don't consider unlimited minutes anything useful as I don't use all the 700 minutes I have now) I will end up paying $10 MORE a month AND have a data cap. No thank you. When the contract is up, so am I. Big F U big Red. 15 years I will be with them when the contract is up, and then I'm gone.

LTE is great, but I don't get it at my house, and with a cap I would use my own WiFi anyway. I have NO reason to stay with this "great" network at that price. I haven't seen ANYONE I know that would actually save money with this plan. Glad we just upgrade to the Rezound. Set for two more years on unlimited.

Funny because I ALWAYS kept my in law upgrades in case my wife's phone or mine broke/died/etc. Never needed insurance, and my in laws can make a "dumbphone" last 5 years or more. Well, since I have NO plans to take one of these new plans, looks like my in laws just got an upgrade. Took 2 free LG cosmo's. Extends my contract 2 more months then DONE.

Before they were Verizon, they were Bell Atlantic Mobile, and they were MORE expensive than Comcast Metrophone/Sprint/ATT/etc. Looks like history is repeating itself.

humpagardengnome

Oct 24, 2011
Visit site
Wow. Some things are okay to poke fun at others are not.
We can agree to disagree on this one but IMHO to even jokingly compare a cell phone contract to someone molested by a pedophile is just plain wrong.

Sent from my DROID RAZR MAXX using Tapatalk 2

Not clear why you bring the molestation aspect up but I wasn't making light of that in any way. Simply noted the nonsensical entry of the contract he was given to sign. Terms were pure jibberish and only benefitted one party. He was damned if he signed it and just as damned if he didn't. It's just a bad situation to deal with, if that's not akin to the Verizon situation, I don't know what is. Are you telling me you don't find this whole plan change to be a damned if you do/don't scenario?