A different take on Share Everything

skatergirl

Retired Moderator
Mar 22, 2011
Visit site
I didn't create this post to be attacked. I put thought into to attempt to put some balance into the argument.

Thanks for all your support!

Last edited:

xxfallacyxx

Bearded
Aug 18, 2011
Visit site
Yikes, $230 a month is a savings for you?

Granted my single line isn't exactly cheap heh.

Well, seeing as the plan gives unlimited minutes, I wonder how long until some wiseguy creates a dial-up internet plan for mobile phones LOL

skatergirl

Retired Moderator
Mar 22, 2011
Visit site
Yikes, $230 a month is a savings for you?

Granted my single line isn't exactly cheap heh.

Well, seeing as the plan gives unlimited minutes, I wonder how long until some wiseguy creates a dial-up internet plan for mobile phones LOL

I am paying $230 right now for my four phones. I would be paying the same with the Share Everything. It would be a wash with added benefits for me.

Dovahkiin

One Man Wolfpack
Nov 17, 2011
Visit site
I am paying $230 right now for my four phones. I would be paying the same with the Share Everything. It would be a wash with added benefits for me.

The only "benefit" I could see would be the mobile hotspot. But if you're gonna pay the same price, why not just keep unlimited? Make those phones really last. If you really get a strong impulse to upgrade your phones, well, you have the option to switch plans later on.
I rarely go over 5GB, but I like having unlimited for the same reasons I like eating at buffets. Obviously I won't be eating everything available, but I have a sense of comfort knowing there's more where that came from if I ever need it.

ShadowCatcher

Jun 2, 2010
Visit site
Well thought out post - and I agree that, for some people, the new pricing tiers might make sense. But, as with everything in life, there are trade-offs. For me, I seldom use very many minutes on phone calls, but I am constantly using data. Added to this, I don't have really good, consistant WiFi available (on the move a lot) and only one smartphone, so I would rather keep the unlimited data... Especially if you consider that once it goes away, it is never coming back (it's the "you don't know what you got til it's gone, take paradise and put up a parking lot" syndrome - LOL).

skatergirl

Retired Moderator
Mar 22, 2011
Visit site
The only "benefit" I could see would be the mobile hotspot. But if you're gonna pay the same price, why not just keep unlimited? Make those phones really last. If you really get a strong impulse to upgrade your phones, well, you have the option to switch plans later on.
I rarely go over 5GB, but I like having unlimited for the same reasons I like eating at buffets. Obviously I won't be eating everything available, but I have a sense of comfort knowing there's more where that came from if I ever need it.

Unfortunately the change is coming eventually. The share plan is just an option for now. Maybe be a requirement down the road.

dpham00

Moderator Team VP
Apr 23, 2011
Visit site
Unfortunately the change is coming eventually. The share plan is just an option for now. Maybe be a requirement down the road.

At a minimum, the existing plan would be good for 2 years if I buy a gs3. 2 years of saving around $800 on one line per month would be over $19,000 total over 2 years contract. To me, that's a very sizeable savings even if I had to move to another plan at the end of 2 years.

Keep in mind that the $19,000+ savings is for one line, I have 4 lines with Verizon now.

skatergirl

Retired Moderator
Mar 22, 2011
Visit site
At a minimum, the existing plan would be good for 2 years if I buy a gs3. 2 years of saving around $800 on one line per month would be over $19,000 total over 2 years contract. To me, that's a very sizeable savings even if I had to move to another plan at the end of 2 years.

Keep in mind that the $19,000+ savings is for one line, I have 4 lines with Verizon now.

If you are going to get a new phone and want to keep your unlmitted data, I believe you need to do it before June 28.

Also, I think everyone is overestimating the costs of this share everything plan. How much data do you use and how much data does everyone else use on your plan? I think if you have an individual $40 plan with no texting and a $30 data plan, yes, changing over will be hard because it is going to cost you $90 for talk and text and 1 GB data, or $100 for talk and text and 2GBs. That will definitely suck!

However, if you have a super highway of phones on your plan, you could save money because you may have people who don't even use a half a GB a month that will even out with someone using 5 GBs.

humpagardengnome

Oct 24, 2011
Visit site
Greed has truly knocked the carriers off their rockers? The pricing structure is a completecomplete farce compared to what ISP costs go for per GB. At least, w/ a wifi ISP, codting $50 a month will add 2 zeros on the end of 1GB(100) for comparable service.

Reactions: anon(94115)

dpham00

Moderator Team VP
Apr 23, 2011
Visit site
Individuals can pick the $ 2gb for $ 30 plan.
http://solutions.vzwshop.com/shareeverything/?intcmp=VZW-VNT-SE-PLANRECMND

anon(94115)

Banned
Nov 29, 2010
Visit site
The only thing that changes is if you have unlimited. I can upgrade and go to either a tiered plan oe the share plan....

Rezound via Tapatalk 2

Dovahkiin

One Man Wolfpack
Nov 17, 2011
Visit site
Greed has truly knocked the carriers off their rockers? The pricing structure is a completecomplete farce compared to what ISP costs go for per GB. At least, w/ a wifi ISP, codting $50 a month will add 2 zeros on the end of 1GB(100) for comparable service.

I can't believe that a few years ago, I thought my unlimited 10Mbps home internet was a rip-off for $50 a month. I look at them now like a total blessing. I'm sorry and I truly love you, Optimum Online/Cablevision :-*

skatergirl

Retired Moderator
Mar 22, 2011
Visit site

It is true that the prices are way out of line.

skatergirl

Retired Moderator
Mar 22, 2011
Visit site
I can't believe that a few years ago, I thought my unlimited 10Mbps home internet was a rip-off for $50 a month. I look at them now like a total blessing. I'm sorry and I truly love you, Optimum Online/Cablevision :-*

Verizon though has been ripping everyone off for years now, ever since users of smartphones were required to shell out $30 ... even for a person who uses very little data.