Switching phones

318sugarhill

Jun 9, 2010
Visit site
WIth VZW's new plans, I will NOT adopt them. I will keep my unlimited and pay full price, or I will switch.

My question is I read all the time about people switching phones. There is a thread here about who will get a GS3. The Rezound came out in Nov so it's only 7 months ago. Do people really pay full price and switch phones this often? I'm not thrilled that I'm going to have to pay $500-600 for my next phone, but I'll probably stick with my Rezound for 3 years instead of upgrading as soon as I've been eligible in the past.

Just curious what anyone's plans are for upgrading when VZW's suckass plans kick into effect at the end of the month.

TBolt

Oct 19, 2009
Visit site
Now that this Rez is going to be a global phone in addition to EVERYTHING it already does so well, I see no major reason to upgrade right now. The tech will have to be revolutionary before I pay full price, and I do plan to pay full price from here on out.

Anyone who pays full price every 8 months is either an addict or completely out of touch with the current economic climate.

Sent from my ADR6425LVW using Tapatalk 2

AZSALUKI

Mar 1, 2011
Visit site
I will pay full retail. And yes.....many people do pay full retail every 6 months or so. Keep in mind that you are on an android forum so most of the members here are a bit more into their phones the the average Joe. We root, flash roms, mod, etc, etc. We likely spend way too Mich time with our phones.....LOL.
Also, high end smart phones hold their value pretty well if you take care of them. You may buy one for $600 and be able to sell it 5 or 6 months later for $400 so you're only out of pocket $200 when you go to buy that next one. Many people have multiple lines too (work and personal) so they can upgrade more often.

sent from my bolt using tapatalk

318sugarhill

Jun 9, 2010
Visit site
I will pay full retail. And yes.....many people do pay full retail every 6 months or so. Keep in mind that you are on an android forum so most of the members here are a bit more into their phones the the average Joe. We root, flash roms, mod, etc, etc. We likely spend way too Mich time with our phones.....LOL.
Also, high end smart phones hold their value pretty well if you take care of them. You may buy one for $600 and be able to sell it 5 or 6 months later for $400 so you're only out of pocket $200 when you go to buy that next one. Many people have multiple lines too (work and personal) so they can upgrade more often.

sent from my bolt using tapatalk

Well, COULD upgrade more often until June 28th. I'm very into my phone, have rooted and Rom'ed. But I just can't spend $600 every 6 months on a new phone. Although if (not going to but if) I got a GS3, you're right, I could sell the Rezound and probably be close the upgrade price. Might have to do that in the future before the phones lose too much value in order to keep my Unlimited.

thedan862

Oct 30, 2010
Visit site
Personally I’m sticking with my Rezound when my contract is up. I love this fone and foresee no reason to upgrade. I keep insurance on it so after a year when the manufactures waranty expires if anything would happen to it, I just put in a claim and $99.00 and a replacement on its way and if the Rezound isn’t available at that time they will send the next one up from it.

zrxoa1

Apr 20, 2010
Visit site
That might be a good way to go from here on out. Pay the monthly fee for insurance, then once or twice a year spend the $99 and get a new phone.

Cheaper than full retail, just won't have the latest greatest all the time.

--------------------------------------------------
There is a clause in the contract which specifically states any systematized transmission indicating a possible intelligent origin must be investigated. --Ash

WhoMe

Jul 15, 2010
Visit site
We have five lines on our account, so I used another lines upgrade to pre order a GS3. I've only had my Rezound for about two months. Nothing at all wrong with it but I wanted to use last subsidy before the window closed.

From here on out ill be selling my old phones and putting aside some money every now and again to buy my phones outright. I figure I'll wait about a year depending on how much I like the GS3.

Sent from my ADR6425LVW using Tapatalk 2

318sugarhill

Jun 9, 2010
Visit site
That might be a good way to go from here on out. Pay the monthly fee for insurance, then once or twice a year spend the $99 and get a new phone.

There is a clause in the contract which specifically states any systematized transmission indicating a possible intelligent origin must be investigated. --Ash

Hmm. Didn't think of that. I wonder if monthly insurance rates will go up in time. Too bad I didn't get the insurance on my Rezound. The problem is, once the Rezound reaches End of life, you get what they decide as a replacement. Probably will end up being the Dinc 4G if I had to guess right now, but you never know. But $120 a year, plus the $99 replacement fee is still less than full retail. I'm NEVER giving up my plan VZW.

dpham00

Moderator Team VP
Apr 23, 2011
Visit site
Hmm. Didn't think of that. I wonder if monthly insurance rates will go up in time. Too bad I didn't get the insurance on my Rezound. The problem is, once the Rezound reaches End of life, you get what they decide as a replacement. Probably will end up being the Dinc 4G if I had to guess right now, but you never know. But $120 a year, plus the $99 replacement fee is still less than full retail. I'm NEVER giving up my plan VZW.

I have 4 lines right now, and have had wireless service for over 10 years, not a single replacement. If you think about it, that is $4800 saved right there. Once I get my gs3, I will have 2 spare rezound as backup. Even if you didn't have any backup phones, unless you are in the habit of dropping or otherwise damaging phones often, it isn't really worth it to me. And even without warranty, you can buy a cpo which would be at a substantial discount and carry a one year warranty.

dpham00

Moderator Team VP
Apr 23, 2011
Visit site
Personally I?m sticking with my Rezound when my contract is up. I love this fone and foresee no reason to upgrade. I keep insurance on it so after a year when the manufactures waranty expires if anything would happen to it, I just put in a claim and $99.00 and a replacement on its way and if the Rezound isn?t available at that time they will send the next one up from it.

If you bought the extended warranty, it is only $2 per month and covers manufacturer defects. NO DEDUCTIBLE.

WPP covers accidental damage and loss. Must pay deductible of $100

TEC is $7 per month and covers both manufacturer defect and accidental damage. It is basically the top 2 combined.

If you happen to damage a phone within manufacturer warranty in addition to a manufacturer defect, send it back under warranty, they may charge you $300 damaged device fee, but still cheaper than full retail. Or buy a cpo.

I may actually consider the $2 extended warranty since it is cheap and has no deductible and most of my issues seem to be manufacturer defect type problems.

MrSmith317

Mr Fix-It
Mar 1, 2010
Visit site

You can only use insurance claims I believe twice in a two year span. And honestly if you're phone isn't damaged or completely flipping out software wise, then just using insurance to get a new phone is illegal, and really not kosher. The insurance system is jacked up enough and when people game that system, it screws it up for everyone else who isn't using the loopholes.

eshropshire

Oct 17, 2011
Visit site
I personally plan to stick with the Rezound. As far as plans go or switching companies where would you go. AT&T new plans will be out soon and no unlimited. Probably be worse than Verizon and a network that is not great - just got off AT&T last year.

Sprint? Does any really believe with a few billion dollars that Sprint is going to build a nationwide LTE Network? Both Verizon and AT&T have already spent 3-4 times what Sprint plans to spend and both are still spending more to expand LTE. Plus Sprint does not have a lot of spectrum. I am sure for the first 6-12 months it might be ok, but within 18 months with all the iPhone 5s on their LTE network it will be more overloaded than their exiting 3G network.

dpham00

Moderator Team VP
Apr 23, 2011
Visit site
You can only use insurance claims I believe twice in a two year span. And honestly if you're phone isn't damaged or completely flipping out software wise, then just using insurance to get a new phone is illegal, and really not kosher. The insurance system is jacked up enough and when people game that system, it screws it up for everyone else who isn't using the loopholes.

It is twice in a one year span.

http://m-support.verizonwireless.com/clc/features/calling_features/equipment_protection.html

zrxoa1

Apr 20, 2010
Visit site

If I am paying for the service it is my right to use it. The phones returned are then used as CPO for those not paying for the service. I am not saying it is the perfect answer, but it is an option.

Sent from my iPhone 4 (while my HTC Rezound charges! LOL ) using Tapatalk

MrSmith317

Mr Fix-It
Mar 1, 2010
Visit site

Grassy-ass

If I am paying for the service it is my right to use it. The phones returned are then used as CPO for those not paying for the service. I am not saying it is the perfect answer, but it is an option.

Sent from my iPhone 4 (while my HTC Rezound charges! LOL ) using Tapatalk

I pay for life insurance, that doesn't mean I can fake my own death and collect the policy. I know you know the deal here, so I'm not preaching.

318sugarhill

Jun 9, 2010
Visit site
Grassy-ass

I pay for life insurance, that doesn't mean I can fake my own death and collect the policy. I know you know the deal here, so I'm not preaching.

You are comparing apples to oranges. Yes, technically you have a point. It would be gaming the system....OOPS dropped my phone in the toilet.

If you REALLY look over what you pay for the insurance, they still still make out. Even just once a year for a replacement, that's $240 you pay ($10 a month, plus $100 deductable). They are not giving you a NEW device, they give you refurbished. I highly doubt they are paying full retail for the refurbished device.

If VZW wasn't trying to Rob us all blind on data, then people wouldn't even think of scenario's like this.

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
knowledge is power