Battery Life Worse Than Thunderbolt

KSDroid01

Jul 27, 2011
Visit site
In my experience 4 hours is horrible and unusual. I am a heavy user (FB checking, internet, gmail and exchange on push, frequent Pandora, screen on auto) and I rarely get less that 9 hours and often get 12-13.

HES

Aug 7, 2010
Visit site
Chances are you have a bad battery or a bad phone. Even on your worst day you should be getting more than that on a standard battery. But before going down the route of an exchange lets look at a few things first. In fact I'm surprised that no one has yet done what I'm about to do:

SERVICE: Are you leaving it on 4G all the time? 4G chews up your battery. 4G really chews up your battery if you are using your phone in an area that has either a weak 4G signal or none at all. Basically your phone spends a lot of energy looking for a signal that isn't there. So leave it at 3G unless you really need speed. On top of that, if you are indeed set to use 3G and your building plays havoc with signals you are gonna drain fast for the same reasons. Always use WiFi whenever possible. Using WiFi means that your data connections go over that network, not the mobile network

DISPLAY: What is your brightness set to? 100% Auto? Look these gorgeous screens dont come with out a trade off. In this case the cost is payed in power consumed. I normally leave my screen brightness set at about 30%.

POP EMAIL: How many POP accounts do you have syncing? How often do they sync? This is another area where power can get chewed up big time. Your best bet is to minimize the number of accounts and how often they sync. If you have Yahoo as your email provider, use their app. Ditto for gmail.

SOCIAL NETWORKING APPS: Facebook and twitter are two other power consumers. Set the sync interval for as long as you can go. For example, my twitter syncs every hour, facebook once a day.

BLUETOOTH: I cant live with out my bluetooth headset. However I realize that comes with a power trade off

GPS: Is your GPS on all the time? That is another culprit. Turn it off until you need it.

MEDIA: Playing tons of music or videos from your SD card? Streaming them from the net? Yeah you are gonna burn up your battery.

Follow the tips above and that should significantly extend your battery life each day. Remember there ain't no such thing as a free lunch. There haven't been any breakthroughs in physics either so we're all stuck with the batteries we have.

So now that you have checked all those go into SETTINGS > ABOUT PHONE > BATTERY > BATTERY USE. See what is using your phones battery. See if anything looks out of whack as compared to the others. Take a screen shot and show it in here.

costorga

Jul 10, 2012
Visit site
Chances are you have a bad battery or a bad phone. Even on your worst day you should be getting more than that on a standard battery. But before going down the route of an exchange lets look at a few things first. In fact I'm surprised that no one has yet done what I'm about to do:

SERVICE: Are you leaving it on 4G all the time? 4G chews up your battery. 4G really chews up your battery if you are using your phone in an area that has either a weak 4G signal or none at all. Basically your phone spends a lot of energy looking for a signal that isn't there. So leave it at 3G unless you really need speed. On top of that, if you are indeed set to use 3G and your building plays havoc with signals you are gonna drain fast for the same reasons. Always use WiFi whenever possible. Using WiFi means that your data connections go over that network, not the mobile network

DISPLAY: What is your brightness set to? 100% Auto? Look these gorgeous screens dont come with out a trade off. In this case the cost is payed in power consumed. I normally leave my screen brightness set at about 30%.

POP EMAIL: How many POP accounts do you have syncing? How often do they sync? This is another area where power can get chewed up big time. Your best bet is to minimize the number of accounts and how often they sync. If you have Yahoo as your email provider, use their app. Ditto for gmail.

SOCIAL NETWORKING APPS: Facebook and twitter are two other power consumers. Set the sync interval for as long as you can go. For example, my twitter syncs every hour, facebook once a day.

BLUETOOTH: I cant live with out my bluetooth headset. However I realize that comes with a power trade off

GPS: Is your GPS on all the time? That is another culprit. Turn it off until you need it.

MEDIA: Playing tons of music or videos from your SD card? Streaming them from the net? Yeah you are gonna burn up your battery.

Follow the tips above and that should significantly extend your battery life each day. Remember there ain't no such thing as a free lunch. There haven't been any breakthroughs in physics either so we're all stuck with the batteries we have.

So now that you have checked all those go into SETTINGS > ABOUT PHONE > BATTERY > BATTERY USE. See what is using your phones battery. See if anything looks out of whack as compared to the others. Take a screen shot and show it in here.

Wow, that's quite a bit of info, and I certainly appreciate it. I've already been through some of these steps...so here goes:

I am in a 3G area all the time, and never have it on 4G.
I leave my display at about 20% all the time.
The only email I use is Gmail, one account.
The only social networking app I use facebook, but have it set to "Sync" once a day.
I only use bluetooth when I'm in the car, which is very rare and the phone is plugged in when I am using it in the car.
I don't play any music or stream at work because the data on my phone drops in and out all day...which is another thing I hate.

In the grand scheme, I really don't feel like I use my phone all the much, but it sure eats battery like I do. I can understand, having a worse signal at home making it drop fast, but I have pretty good signal at home, better than my wi-fi signal, and it still drains pretty quickly.

My phone says that the display is using 67% of the power. I did check Maps and while it says that it is waking my phone quite often, it's only using .2% of the power, and isn't keeping it awake for any amount of time according the GSam Battery Monitor.

bellken

Dec 7, 2011
Visit site
If you are in a 3G area only, do you have LTE disabled? If not, try disabling LTE, otherwise, your phone will searching for LTE signal, and, it will eat up your battery.

bellken

Dec 7, 2011
Visit site
It sounds like you have your phone set up pretty well, and, you next move is to contact Verizon. note: one last thing to try is to pull and re-seat your sim card. It sounds like you have some sort of signal problem, which eats up battery and causes your phone to heat up.

good luck

Reactions: costorga

costorga

Jul 10, 2012
Visit site
Thanks, that makes me feel a little better! I had some serious rebooting issues over the weekend, so I have re-seated my sim card several times over. Guess I will try to run in to a Verizon store over the weekend and see what they have to say.

anon(94115)

Banned
Nov 29, 2010
Visit site
Thanks, that makes me feel a little better! I had some serious rebooting issues over the weekend, so I have re-seated my sim card several times over. Guess I will try to run in to a Verizon store over the weekend and see what they have to say.

I wouldn't I would call them and tell them everything you have done INCLUDING a factory reset. They will overnight you one. The store imho will drag things out

From my XxX rated Rezound

costorga

Jul 10, 2012
Visit site
I wouldn't I would call them and tell them everything you have done INCLUDING a factory reset. They will overnight you one. The store imho will drag things out

Well, I talked to them the other day, when I was having the random reboot and they told me to take the phone into the store to have the battery tested...

HES

Aug 7, 2010
Visit site
Wow, that's quite a bit of info, and I certainly appreciate it. I've already been through some of these steps...so here goes:

I am in a 3G area all the time, and never have it on 4G.
I leave my display at about 20% all the time.
The only email I use is Gmail, one account.
The only social networking app I use facebook, but have it set to "Sync" once a day.
I only use bluetooth when I'm in the car, which is very rare and the phone is plugged in when I am using it in the car.
I don't play any music or stream at work because the data on my phone drops in and out all day...which is another thing I hate.

In the grand scheme, I really don't feel like I use my phone all the much, but it sure eats battery like I do. I can understand, having a worse signal at home making it drop fast, but I have pretty good signal at home, better than my wi-fi signal, and it still drains pretty quickly.

My phone says that the display is using 67% of the power. I did check Maps and while it says that it is waking my phone quite often, it's only using .2% of the power, and isn't keeping it awake for any amount of time according the GSam Battery Monitor.

Ok so then you most likely have a bum battery or bum phone. I'm gonna go with the phone.

I had a Rezound, hard to get it replaced. The replacement was a freaking zombie - pirate - vampire when it came to power consumption. I was getting about 18 hours on a single charge. That dropped to about 5. Now I got lucky in that my wife has a Rezound too so we switched batteries for one day. My life still sucked and hers, running my battery, was getting great life. Ergo I had a bum replacement phone. So called up Verizon. Explained all the steps I had already gone through, and presto, got another replacement phone. Things have been smooth since then.

So call and complain. Get a replacement phone shipped today so you can have it tomorrow.

anon(94115)

Banned
Nov 29, 2010
Visit site
Ok so then you most likely have a bum battery or bum phone. I'm gonna go with the phone.

I had a Rezound, hard to get it replaced. The replacement was a freaking zombie - pirate - vampire when it came to power consumption. I was getting about 18 hours on a single charge. That dropped to about 5. Now I got lucky in that my wife has a Rezound too so we switched batteries for one day. My life still sucked and hers, running my battery, was getting great life. Ergo I had a bum replacement phone. So called up Verizon. Explained all the steps I had already gone through, and presto, got another replacement phone. Things have been smooth since then.

So call and complain. Get a replacement phone shipped today so you can have it tomorrow.

^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
So many times this

dpham00

Moderator Team VP
Apr 23, 2011
Visit site
Well, I talked to them the other day, when I was having the random reboot and they told me to take the phone into the store to have the battery tested...

Call back, what does random reboots have to do with a battery check? The only time I have heard?them say go to the store for a battery check is when you complain about battery life.

costorga

Jul 10, 2012
Visit site
Well, I called Verizon, and their first suggestion was to send me a new battery, and schedule a follow-up call to see if that fixes the problem. It's a better suggestion than a new phone off the bat since they are such a pain to set up. So, we will see what happens. If the battery doesn't fix the issue, then hopefully a new refurb phone will!

angiebugg

Jul 23, 2010
Visit site
Train ur battery

Remember all, we must train our batteries. They are new and it takes about a week to train it to last longer. Bump charge in the morning and bump it a little throughout the day and you will see eventually that it lasts longer on a charge.

Sent from my ADR6425LVW using Android Central Forums

Reactions: anon(94115)

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
akbarramadhani12