Fast Boot - pos n cons

nteeman

May 22, 2012
Visit site
Could someone please explain the good, bad, and the ugly about Fast Boot?

I am trying to figure out if I am better off leaving it on or off.

Thanks

Sent from my ADR6425LVW using Android Central Forums

Paul627g

AC Moderator All-Star
Nov 25, 2010
Visit site
First Fastboot is an application that is available from the Android SDK. It is a separate application ran on your computer to communicate with your device thru the bootloader.

I think the question your probably asking is if you should leave your bootloader locked or unlocked. If it is already unlocked, leave it. You can always lock it back up in the event you need to have your device serviced or sold. I say this because normally on most devices when you unlock the bootloader it wipes the device, so if its already unlocked then just leave it. My opinion.

nteeman

May 22, 2012
Visit site
FastBoot is an on or off setting under Power options on my Rezound GB OS.

Sent from my ADR6425LVW using Android Central Forums

318sugarhill

Jun 9, 2010
Visit site
First Fastboot is an application that is available from the Android SDK. It is a separate application ran on your computer to communicate with your device thru the bootloader.

I think the question your probably asking is if you should leave your bootloader locked or unlocked. If it is already unlocked, leave it. You can always lock it back up in the event you need to have your device serviced or sold. I say this because normally on most devices when you unlock the bootloader it wipes the device, so if its already unlocked then just leave it. My opinion.

You got WAAAAAAAY to technical for the OP. Fastboot setting in the menu is like a "quick on" if you will. It doesn't fully shut down the device. So on shutdowns and reboots, the phone will load up much faster. But with that being said, It doesn't get a memory clear or any of the good stuff that can be resolved with a reboot. Fastboot does not allow the phone to reboot. So if you are having lag issues or any glitches turn fastboot off and get a good reboot.

I only use fastboot when changing out batteries. If I have a low battery and am popping in my spare, i'll turn on fastboot before powering down so that way the phone "hopefully" restarts faster. Not sure if pulling the battery gives the reboot or not, but it's what I do. I shut the phone down almost daily for a reboot anyway to keep performance tip top.

On a side note, I do find I get better battery life throughout the day if the phone charges in the power off mode rather than being turned on.

Reactions: nteeman

MrSmith317

Mr Fix-It
Mar 1, 2010
Visit site
Fastboot = worthless. The only thing it does really well is never let you turn your phone truly off. Think of fastboot as hibernation mode(windows). It still kills your battery and has none of the benefits of rebooting your phone.

Pabster

Jun 13, 2011
Visit site
I have noticed that my Rezound will revert to "fastboot on" on it's own. I will turn it off from the settings menu. But if I power the phone off to change the battery (which I do at least once a week), the setting for fastboot will be "on" after the phone has gone through its complete reboot. When I change the setting back to off, it stays that way until I change the battery again and it goes through a complete restart again.
I am completely stock. Could I have some app that is turning fastboot on?

MrSmith317

Mr Fix-It
Mar 1, 2010
Visit site
Turn off fastboot and then reboot your phone. Don't battery pull, just reboot. The setting probably isn't getting saved if the only time you reboot is when you're doing a battery pull to change the battery.

Skyler Patrick

Mar 26, 2014
Visit site
So that's why my phone dies when the battery is low and I turn it off to save battery life!? That always pissed me off but I assumed it was simply a behavior of smart phones that I'd have to get used to. There needs to be Android sparknote books for its users. Figuring the ins and outs of a phone wouldn't be so dang complicated if there was a simple guidebook for all settings and pre-installed applications. My ex girlfriend put a spy app on my phone once she suspected me of knowing she was not being faithful and ever since then I've been paranoid whenever I find a unfamiliar setting or application that has no explanation. Fastboot was not one I was worried about, but glad I looked it up just now. Thanks for the info!

acejavelin

Jun 13, 2012
Visit site
... My ex girlfriend put a spy app on my phone once she suspected me of knowing she was not being faithful and ever since then I've been paranoid whenever I find a unfamiliar setting or application that has no explanation. Fastboot was not one I was worried about, but glad I looked it up just now...
It sounds like you have way more life issues to deal with than worrying about what "Fast Boot" is, which is different than "fastboot" by the way.

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Chelrie