Like Tree6Likes
  • 1 Post By piizzadude
  • 2 Post By piizzadude
  • 3 Post By NjSnoNut
  1. Thread Author  Thread Author    #1  

Default Right Now....

if you had to walk into a verizon store TODAY, no waiting for "the next big thing" , and get a phone, and it could not be a rezound, what would you get and why?

Does anyone use LG phones anymore? the dare was my first touch phone and i loved it
    Peace
    Leozdad

Don't look for a way to make money.
    Find a way to make a living doing what you like to do anyway.
    Otherwise you're just raising ransom to buy back your life

Rezounding Vigor Rocks!

Global Posts
    2,043 Global Posts
    ROM
    Stock

Galaxy nexus. Its an android geek best friend and it runs stock buttery smooth jellybean

Sent from my Jellybean powered GalaxyNexus
    Mr Fix-It

ROM
    Stock Rooted

Default Re: Right Now....

Galaxy S3 or Galaxy Nexus. It hurts a bit that Samsung is ruling the roost but Moto will be back in a few months to a year(with a former Google'r at the helm) and mark my words they will take back Android.
    “Around here, however, we don't look backwards for very long.
    We keep moving forward, opening up new doors and doing new things,
    because we're curious...and curiosity keeps leading us down new paths.”

-Walt Disney

Global Posts
    1,371 Global Posts
    ROM
    Stock unrooted

Quote Originally Posted by MrSmith317 View Post
    Galaxy S3 or Galaxy Nexus. It hurts a bit that Samsung is ruling the roost but Moto will be back in a few months to a year(with a former Google'r at the helm) and mark my words they will take back Android.
    Agreed. I would consider the Maxx I guess. If I was not grandfathered to unlimited data I would be walking over to the at&t store for the HTC One X.
    4G LTE Thunderbolt

gs3. Substantially larger screen for email and browsing than any other verizon phone out there, including gnex.

ROM
    Viper

Y'all will say I am crazy, but the Inc 4G would be close to the top of the list if no the top. That phone has impressed me so much. If it has a dev community I would get it. Other than that I guess an s3 or GNex just so I could have a great dev community and get on the forums and complain about how bad Samsung phones are while owning one. Or maybe even the wide-as-a-large-barn razr.

Sent from my ADR6425LVW
    HES

Global Posts
    390 Global Posts

For me it would have to be the MAXX. I need the best battery life combined with the best radios for the phone. So far Sammy has left me completely underwhelmed when it comes to being able to make and receive calls when you are not in an urban or suburban area.

Call me crazy (I am! muahahaha... ), but I'd have to go out and get another Thunderbolt as I've yet to see anything new that's even tempting (hardware or software wise). Of course can't get it from Verizon as they don't sell them anymore (want new, not used or refurb). A couple local Best Buys still have them in stock (if I wanted one today) or they're still available online from numerous places.

As to LG, their hardware leaves a lot to be desired for me, software too. So they're a no go.

I would say the Nexus, with the enjoyment I am getting from my Nexus 7. I would have to say Nexus.

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Android Central Forums
    Last edited by DestinedtoGame; 07-22-2012 at 11:10 AM.
    Banned

Global Posts
    5,774 Global Posts
    ROM
    Something JB

if I couldnt pik the rez, it would be the GSIII...when I was playing with it the other day, it felt good. Sucks that the radios havent gotten better
    318sugarhill likes this.

Even if I could pick the Rezound, I would either get the S3 or the Incredible.
    Banned

Global Posts
    5,774 Global Posts
    ROM
    Something JB

Quote Originally Posted by Aegis View Post
    Even if I could pick the Rezound, I would either get the S3 or the Incredible.
    why? I get the GSIII, but not the inc

Don't know much about the nexus line. Never really messed with one. Was impressed with the maxx but had really bad luck with moto phones.

Sent from my ADR6425LVW using Android Central Forums
    Banned

Global Posts
    5,774 Global Posts
    ROM
    Something JB

I wouldn't buy Moto if you paid me

Sent from my ADR6425LVW using Tapatalk 2

.." what would you get and why? ...."

The (hot) Young lady who greeted me at The Totowa, NJ store...

Quote Originally Posted by NjSnoNut View Post
    .." what would you get and why? ...."

The (hot) Young lady who greeted me at The Totowa, NJ store...
    Then you can experiment to see how she responds to different finger motions. On her ...ahem ... digitizer, of course.
    Last edited by Whubblesbuddy; 07-22-2012 at 03:45 PM.

ROM
    Viper

Quote Originally Posted by piizzadude View Post
    why? I get the GSIII, but not the inc
    It's runs better stock than the rezound ever did stock. It has the best for factor of any phone on the market right now. The s4 processor is a beast even at slightly lower clock. It's only real draw back is the screen res is kind of low.

Sent from my ADR6425LVW

Nothing, just walk in and look, then leave. I'd probably stay with my two-year-old-Eris. If I did upgrade, then it would be the DInc 4G, but that is only about a 15% chance.

I wouldn't have upgraded when I did if the Rezound wasn't such a powerful phone and has a display that is still unequaled. The Rez also felt comfortable in my hands. The Razr line was too wide and too thin, very uncomfortable.

S3 hands down. That phone kicks soooo much ***. Right up to the locked bootloader. Deal breaker. Probably the G Nexus. I can't live without the Development community. I just can't stay locked into what they decide for me. If it weren't for the community out here and a way to unlock the Rez bootloader, I'd still be on Gingerbread. FAIL.

If the S3 gets cracked...I'm all over it.
    Devices:

Rooted HTC Droid Incredible
    Rooted Nook Color
    Rooted HTC Rezound
    Soon to be rooted Galaxy S4

ROM
    Viper

Quote Originally Posted by 318sugarhill View Post
    S3 hands down. That phone kicks soooo much ***. Right up to the locked bootloader. Deal breaker. Probably the G Nexus. I can't live without the Development community. I just can't stay locked into what they decide for me. If it weren't for the community out here and a way to unlock the Rez bootloader, I'd still be on Gingerbread. FAIL.

Really? Cause I played with one for the first time today and was completely unimpressed. I mean it was quick and nice, but not more than a half step above anything else. The was even some Studer in the ui on occasion. Just not the almighty phone that the Internet makes it out to be. Also my rezound side by side had 10 dbm better signal in a city

Sent from my ASUS Transformer Pad TF300T

If you must have an unlocked bootloader for the gs3 , then you can buy it directly from Verizon soon, it will be the same price as the regular version that you have now, except that it won't be offered on contract. Of course, you are paying a premium for verizon, just like the gnex is $350 unlocked pentaband no contract, but a no contract Gnex on Verizon is $600ish.
    One Man Wolfpack

Global Posts
    1,001 Global Posts
    ROM
    Stock

Gentlemen, the correct answer is the Maxx. Uber battery life in a small frame with no significant overheating issues. Plus it has close-to-stock ICS and better radios than Samsung.

Quote Originally Posted by dpham00 View Post
    If you must have an unlocked bootloader for the gs3 , then you can buy it directly from Verizon soon, it will be the same price as the regular version that you have now, except that it won't be offered on contract. Of course, you are paying a premium for verizon, just like the gnex is $350 unlocked pentaband no contract, but a no contract Gnex on Verizon is $600ish.
    You keep telling me things I already know. I appreciate if you are trying to help me out, but you're not getting my point. It is utterly ridiculous that they(as in VZW) need to lock a boot loader. We really need to pay a $400 premium to do what we want on a device that can only be used on Verizon anyway? If I could take that unlocked S3 on any network, It might be ok to sell at $600.

BTW, the unlocked S3 won't be available through VZW, it will be available direct from Samsung. And it still won't be worth it, because it goes against what the development community is about. They won't pay the "developer tax" as they call it. They will move to other phones if they can't crack the stock one.

I disagree with the Razr for two reasons.....(not including moto's boot loader policy) A) Moto has not improved their build quality. EVERY Moto phone I owned in the passed has some issue or another. I've NEVER had to take a phone in for warranty issues that wasn't moto. My buddy has had a droid X, and now a Maxx, and both of them he has returned multiple times. He is not a complainer, or someone who abuses the phone. His phones have legitimately had problems.

The second reason is the screen. I'm not a fan of the screen. Even before I had the Rezound. Also even thought the Razr is touted as being uber thin, if you look at the Razr and the S3 together, they may very well be the same size, but the Razr just looks huge next to it.

But this is what make android great over the Crapple. Choice. Your choice is different than mine, and that is what makes this platform great.
    Devices:

Rooted HTC Droid Incredible
    Rooted Nook Color
    Rooted HTC Rezound
    Soon to be rooted Galaxy S4

Global Posts
    739 Global Posts
    ROM
    Droid Inc JB 4.1.1

Razr Maxx I guess. I had no luck with the Galaxy Nexus radio, so I'm not interested in Samsung until I am sure they've improved their radios.
    "I thought I wanted a career. Turns out I just wanted paychecks."
    Copy Referral Link. - Start with 15GB of space. You and I get 5GB extra! No limits!
    Dropbox Referral Link. - We both get 500MB extra.

You keep telling me things I already know. I appreciate if you are trying to help me out, but you're not getting my point. It is utterly ridiculous that they(as in VZW) need to lock a boot loader. We really need to pay a $400 premium to do what we want on a device that can only be used on Verizon anyway? If I could take that unlocked S3 on any network, It might be ok to sell at $600.

BTW, the unlocked S3 won't be available through VZW, it will be available direct from Samsung. And it still won't be worth it, because it goes against what the development community is about. They won't pay the "developer tax" as they call it. They will move to other phones if they can't crack the stock one.

I disagree with the Razr for two reasons.....(not including moto's boot loader policy) A) Moto has not improved their build quality. EVERY Moto phone I owned in the passed has some issue or another. I've NEVER had to take a phone in for warranty issues that wasn't moto. My buddy has had a droid X, and now a Maxx, and both of them he has returned multiple times. He is not a complainer, or someone who abuses the phone. His phones have legitimately had problems.

The second reason is the screen. I'm not a fan of the screen. Even before I had the Rezound. Also even thought the Razr is touted as being uber thin, if you look at the Razr and the S3 together, they may very well be the same size, but the Razr just looks huge next to it.

But this is what make android great over the Crapple. Choice. Your choice is different than mine, and that is what makes this platform great.
    You are talking about a $400 price difference on a contract vs. no contract phone. Two different things. Now, if Verizon was selling the gs3 for $200 no contract, and Samsung selling the gs3 for $600 no contract, then that is a different issue.

Verizon has always been tighter on "freedoms" for phones, like locked bootloader, not activating phones unless it was in their imei database, not being able to use pre-paid on post-paid out of the box, and so on. Everyone has different priorities when buying a phone. First, you said that you wanted an unlocked bootloader, so yes, you will have that option on the s3. Now, if you wanted a cheap phone with an unlocked bootloader on contract, then sure, you could go to another carrier. In addition to being "stricter", Verizon has always been a premium carrier carrying a premium price tag. If you don't wish to pay a premium for Verizon, then there are other options that may better suit your needs.

With that said, the reason I am on Verizon is because of network coverage, if they lost that, then I'd jump ship. To me, the most important reason to have the phone is for emergencies. I was in an underground parking structure the other day. My friend had ATT, no voice or data signal. On my gs3, had both voice and data, albeit a very weak signal, I was still able to make calls, and send out texts via google voice. Although I would never wish an emergency to happen, to me, I would rather be best prepared in the event that it does. This includes having the phone with the best overall network coverage.

Obviously, everyone's priorities are different, you need to choose the best network and phone that meets your needs. Just like, the Rezound does not have a large dev community, compared to say, the gnex. Don't get me wrong, the rez is a fine phone for what it is, but if I wanted the most roms, then I wouldn't choose the rez.
    Last edited by dpham00; 07-23-2012 at 09:16 AM.