Google/Phone Makers need to copy Apple

pcabe5

Jul 2, 2010
Visit site
I think that in order for Google and phone manufacturers to take control of their phones and software they need to take control as Apple does. If Google continues to let Verizon and AT&T control updates then we as consumers lose.

I think of it as Microsoft having to wait on pc manufacturers to push an update. The first manufacturer that would control their updates via ota or via download would sell a lot of phones.

Sent from my ADR6425LVW using Tapatalk 2

TEdelman

Apr 12, 2012
Visit site
I wonder what it would take for Google to get involved with data and the like. If I could bypass a carrier, use Google Talk and get my data, not thought out but an idea.

GMJeff

Jan 25, 2011
Visit site
The problem is not with Google, but rather the carriers. It has been said many times that Google is not a hardware company, but rather a software company.

They just contract an OEM to make a developer type handset called nexus. This gives the developers a way to test apps on an actual device instead of an SDK on a computer. Real world hardware so to say.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I747 using Android Central Forums

caleb02

Dec 30, 2010
Visit site
I agree with orginal poster but would go a step beyound and just buy T-Mobile and merge moto and T-Mobile into T~Moto. And they would be the only ones to have android. Each carrier should buy an OEM phone company and have their own os. Att can merge with apple.

Sent from my ICS powered HTC Rezound....

NoYankees44

Dec 20, 2011
Visit site
Google will never get involved, because they don't make money off of android phones at all really. They only make money off of the Google services the phones facilitate. So in a sense they make just as much money off of the iphone as they do android. I actually kind of wonder why good continues android when I think about it like this.

Plus it would mean the manufacturers and carries would not make so much money on all the bloat and we of course can't have that.

Sent from my ADR6425LVW

taylorz_412

Aug 28, 2011
Visit site
Google will never get involved, because they don't make money off of android phones at all really. They only make money off of the Google services the phones facilitate. So in a sense they make just as much money off of the iphone as they do android. I actually kind of wonder why good continues android when I think about it like this.

Plus it would mean the manufacturers and carries would not make so much money on all the bloat and we of course can't have that.

Sent from my ADR6425LVW

Thats because they don't make the hardware I hope they start, it would be great to have a true Google hardware And software Android phone

Sent from my SCH-I535 using Tapatalk 2

Wanda

May 6, 2010
Visit site
Thats because they don't make the hardware I hope they start, it would be great to have a true Google hardware And software Android phone

Apple doesn't make much of their hardware either, just the A5 chip I believe. The rest gets sourced out to other companies that actually make stuff.

taylorz_412

Aug 28, 2011
Visit site
Apple doesn't make much of their hardware either, just the A5 chip I believe. The rest gets sourced out to other companies that actually make stuff.

Yeah yur correct but I meant by that all in house design and control over software and choice in hardware just like apple does things grab the carriers by the balls and sell a true Google phone

zrxoa1

Apr 20, 2010
Visit site
I agree. I am more and more tempted to go back to my iphone 4. I am tired of Verizon dictating what can and cant be used on my android phone. Yes, yes, yes... I know all about root. My Rezound is unlocked and rooted, my Incredible is rooted and running CM7 and my iphone is jail broken and set up nicely.

Many have the same point... shouldn't have to root to get vzw crap off our phone, or wait for vzw to decide what is a good time to update to latest software.

Apple, for the butt head company it can be, has it down right. Now if they would just modernize their os, add widgets and such...

DestinedtoGame

Mar 18, 2011
Visit site
I thought I remember reading an article talking about how Google was going to get more invovled with what happens with Android. That it was really coming to with ICS. They were going to say what a UI should and shouldn't look like. I think Android should get more invovled with how companies decided to customize their UI's so that way fragmentation doesn't occur.

318sugarhill

Jun 9, 2010
Visit site

Apple does make money of their hardware. Apple only makes software to sell their hardware. They control it all, from manufacturing, to software, to price.

Google makes software, and even takes a loss, because they make it up on the back end. Apple makes money on EVERY part of the device. Google's plan by giving the software away, was so that manufacturers could make low end and high end device. They don't care how much the manufacturers make, they only want them to get google services out there. Whether we buy a $99 device or a $299 device, Google's plan was to get an android device into a billion hands worldwide. If they make $10 a year on each phone through the services, that's a $10 billion a year operation. And they don't need to be involved in any part of it, except handing out the software. Quite genius actually. And it's working out quite well for them.

By us buying Android phones over iPhones, it takes a bigger chunk out of Apples pockets. They don't make money on services or software. They rely on the services and software to sell their hardware. If they don't sell hardware, they don't make money. THAT is why they control so much of the hardware process, and require a cut of service fees from the carriers. Carriers actually make more money off of Android as well, since google doesn't take a cut of the data plan like Apple does. THIS is a serious threat to Apple and why they fight so hard with patent legal battles.

anon(94115)

Banned
Nov 29, 2010
Visit site
Ummmmyeah Google does make money off android. First and foremost, every time you search for something they get revenue from that. Yeah you can an change the settings but do you really want Bing? Next is just advertising google=android. You cannot think of one without the other....

Sent from my ADR6425LVW using Tapatalk 2