1. Thread Author  Thread Author    #1  

Default Is there any downside to installing the ICS link now?

I had decided to wait until August 1st to see if Verizon would actually upgrade the phone to ICS. If I go ahead and add it today, is there any downside if Verizon actually upgrades in the next few days? Meaning, is there a chance that their version could be newer? If so, can it be upgraded still?
    I'm a virgin when it comes to this stuff.

ROM
    Nexus 4 (Beanstalk/Aio)

Default Re: Is there any downside to installing the ICS link now?

Quote Originally Posted by CollegePartyBoy View Post
    I had decided to wait until August 1st to see if Verizon would actually upgrade the phone to ICS. If I go ahead and add it today, is there any downside if Verizon actually upgrades in the next few days? Meaning, is there a chance that their version could be newer? If so, can it be upgraded still?
    I'm a virgin when it comes to this stuff.
    There are only two real downsides to installing a leak from what I have seen:

1) All your data gets wiped. An official OTA update should keep everything you have intact.

2) It is unknown if you can update OTA to the "official" release when it becomes available, although I am sure someone will figure out a way to do it in some form or fashion, we just don't know at this time how that will work, it might as simple as clicking "Check for updates" but we just don't know.

Other than those two downsides, there isn't much else... it doesn't void your warranty, if instructions are followed and patience used it is pretty tough to get it wrong, and the waiting will be over.

Interesting issue with wiping the data, it is the cleanest way to do it anyway... I have two friends that have Motos that got updated to ICS in the last couple weeks, both had some weird issues but they were all related to their apps/data and not he O/S itself, one of them had to delete and add back all his accounts because they wouldn't sync correctly, and the other one had to actually factory default to get his issues taken care of, but after that both of them were fine. So wiping the data is definitely the cleanest way to do it, just annoying to set everything up again.

I had been waiting for the official release, but after another month with nothing, and browsing through all the forums seeing how everyone loves the leak, I think I am just gonna bite the bullet and do it this weekend.

But even installing the leak doesn't get to the root of what we really want for the Rezound... the ICS source code! With the RIL cracked, the only thing missing is a few key pieces from the official ICS source code to open the door to perfect versions of CyanogenMod, MUIU, AOSP/AOKP, and any other ROM you can think of.
    Last edited by acejavelin; 08-01-2012 at 07:15 AM.
    Banned

Global Posts
    5,774 Global Posts
    ROM
    Something JB

Default Re: Is there any downside to installing the ICS link now?

without a doubt you must wipe, wipe and wipe again. You are asking for trouble if you do not.

You will either be able to get the official update via the check for updates process mentioned before me or by flashing the same way you install the leak.

the downside to the second part is that you *may* have to wipe again