Poor Browser Performance After ICS Install

dplane

Mar 2, 2011
Visit site
I would definitely recommend doing a factory reboot and while you're at it a wipe of the sdcard (back it up and places files back after) for good measure. I never took the OTA but have been running ICS roms for a while now and am now on one based on the official kernel etc.
I had the same sluggish performance but last time around I did the factory reset along with triple wiping crap in hboot (not important for you non-rooted folk) and the browser now seems to be back to its original "smoothness".

PLUS, if you call VZW support you know the first they'd tell you to do is just that so may as well give it a shot rather than wasting time on the phone! ;-)

MRDK

Aug 8, 2012
Visit site
I believe it has to do with Java. If you turn it off, the pages will load fine. However, you can not see the discussions at the bottom of articles. Also, FB only shows first page load and will not load Older Posts.

I have done two resets and it is a little better. But scrolling back 4+ hours of FB posts makes the browser(s) unstable. I rolled back FB app to 1.8.4 from the 1.9.7 version, and this fixes the app.

dstrakele

May 30, 2011
Visit site
I ran into some problems with the Streaming Media Player module of the stock ICS web browser after the ICS OTA update to my unrooted, locked, bone stock Rezound. I found the CNBC videos (.m3u8 codec) would no.longer open from the CNBC Mobile web site. I was able to work around this issue with another streaming media player (VPlayer) to recover this GB functionality.

Unfortunately, it did not help for my Surfline.com HD Surf Cam feeds. What once played smoothly under stock GB now was choppy, constantly buffering and attempting to reconnect to the stream on some of the Surf Cams. There were Flash and non-Flash options to stream, but neither choice helped. I associated video streams with VPlayer in "Settings - App Associations", but no luck. I cleared Cache and Data in stock Browser and Flash Player, rebooted, tried Dolphin Browser, and the Surfline Android App (uses Streaming Media Player in stock Browser in Non-Flash mode). Dolphin also uses the stock ICS Streaming Media Player giving the same choppy playback on the HD Surf Cam steams. Low bandwidth plays fine, but I paid for access to the HD Surf Cams.

I finally broke down and did a Factory Restore, installing only Adobe Flash Player 11. Amazingly the Non-Flash playback won"t even start if Flash Player is NOT installed. Unfortunately, there was no change in problem playback behavior.

I didn't anticipate I'd have Browser issues with the ICS OTA update, and with 20/20 hindsight, now wish I held off on installing it.

Last edited:

OME6A

Dec 22, 2010
Visit site
I'm glad to see so many share these issues.
After talking to tech support earlier in the week, I received a replacement phone yesterday that I was assured would have ICS already cleanly installed on it.

It didn't.

After installing the OTA on the brand new phone, it now has the same issues.

How are more people not complaining about this?

EDIT:
Just got off the phone with Verizon. My second replacement's on its way to me. Third time's a charm?

Last edited:

Postman024

Sep 14, 2012
Visit site
My issue has been with the standard browser and Dolphin browser, and it has really been subject to only one webiste which is cbssports.com. I do fantasy football and the browser will load the first page, but the second I click a link, or move to another page basically, it load 50% and closes the browser, sending me back to my home screen. Sometimes I can re-open and get back to the same page I was on, and other times the browser will default to my home page (Google), causing me to start all over. It is not worth continuing obviously, because it will just send me back and start on Google again.

I have not had this problem with any other site to date, but it happens on both my HTC Rezound and my Asus Eee Pad Transformer TF101-A1, as well as my wife's Samsung Glaxy S2. Chrome seems to work fine, but I need Flash for the live scoring pages, so not an option. I finally tried Opera and it seems to work just fine on btoh devices. No problems yet.

Hopefully Opera helps some of you. I have reseached everything I can, and reinstalling Flash, factory resets, or you name it, tried it all and it doesn't work. It seems to be a ICS issue that needs to be resolved via another update, and who knows when we will see that. I will just stick with Opera for now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
axool