Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
  1. Thread Author  Thread Author    #1  

Global Posts
    81 Global Posts

Default Poor Browser Performance After ICS Install

Is anyone else experiencing problems with their web browser since updating?

I have very slow page loads, pages only half render, super choppy scrolling, just all around poor performance. Like tremendously worse than before today's update.

I've tried the stock browser, Dolphin HD, Chrome and xScope Pro, with reboots after each install for good measure, and have the same issues with all of them.

Help.

Global Posts
    97 Global Posts

Default Re: Poor Browser Performance After ICS Install

Reset or maybe a clean flash of the ruu? Or it could have just died, as HTC devices love to do. Good luck!

noticed it too. the new page you go to sometimes has half of the last page you were on and a refresh didnt help it. or it was just blank..
  4. Thread Author  Thread Author    #4  

Global Posts
    81 Global Posts

Thank god someone else is experiencing this. It is horrendous. It's like in the old days when Google Maps would load in the browser in blocks at a time on your desktop, until filling in the whole map. That's what I'm experiencing, but in the browser. Every browser.

I think you will find better results using Chrome.

I prefer this over the stock ICS browser... It's quick and syncs with my laptop bookmarks.

Lego
    HTC ONE (M8)!

ChromeCast
    Nexus 7 (2012)

BB 6510>7510>8830>8330 Curve>9530 Storm> HTC Droid Incredible > HTC REZOUND!> HTC One (M8)
  6. Thread Author  Thread Author    #6  

Global Posts
    81 Global Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Legobricke View Post
    I think you will find better results using Chrome.
    First post specifically says I've tried Chrome. Chrome's nice and all, but lacks features as simple as setting the User Agent. No dice.

Doing a factory reset..

ROM
    Stock

At first it was great but AFTER I downloaded Chrome is when it got a lil sluggish.. Weird..

Let us know if the factory reset works. I've had the same issues with the stock browser - haven't tried any of the others yet. Other thing I noticed was that stock browser won't ever automatically revert to the home page. Even setting it to home, then closing still keeps some original page I viewed at the very end of a series of back button presses. A real PIA.

ROM
    Stock

Also don't forget to update Flash Player!

Try opening the stock browser and change the setting for flash always on. Default is off.
  11. Thread Author  Thread Author    #11  

Global Posts
    81 Global Posts

Factory Reset didn't work. Trying to load the RUU now.

I've had an issue with browser performance in ICS as well. I use Dolphin. The only real is I've had, however, is that even though the entire page loads at normal speed, the text and images take a few seconds to render. They come up blurry and eventually eventually become clearer. Scrolling further down the page gives me the same issue as text and images scroll into view.

Per the advice given here, I first switched over to stock ics browser. No blurry text AND it was significantly faster than Dolphin. Enough so that I'll either ditch Dolphin or find another bugless alternative. To be fair, I did then go and enable Flash to always, as suggested, and the blurriness issue was solved in Dolphin, but the speed still doesn't compare to stock.

Quote Originally Posted by ShadowCatcher View Post
    . Other thing I noticed was that stock browser won't ever automatically revert to the home page. Even setting it to home, then closing still keeps some original page I viewed at the very end of a series of back button presses. A real PIA.
    I also have had this problem, I had it before the update though, sometimes it does it and sometimes it doesn't I gave up and and type goo into bar and click on google.com its very annoying, but I guess I got used to it

Im having the exact same issue. It doesnt matter what I have done to speed up the browser. Updated flash, etc and nothing helps. I managed to grab a screen shot.

Not the best but you can see the issue. Half the time itll load the page and then at 95% loaded a blank white screen shows up and I have to reload the page.

Does it on both stock browser and Dolphin HD.
    Droid Incredible
    Lovin' My Phone

I used to use Dolphin, but Chrome is working GREAT for me!
    ~Janet~

Well, I turned off fastboot and all of the sudden Dolphin had an update. Issue has been fixed now.
    Droid Incredible

I feel bad for anyone having issues all actually noticing huge performance gains. Nfl.com used to be a real pain in the *** to view now that ice cream sandwiches installed it runs absolutely flawlessly.

Im having the same issue in Dolphin and Facebook. Thought it was only me. Its so annoying

I have two Rezounds that have performed flawlessly. BUT, since the ICS update, battery life shortened by 30% and I too am having scrolling issues in the browsers and apps that have scrolling. This is happening on both phones. I did a factory reset on one of them to see if it would fix the problem, but it did not. Both the wife and I are not happy and I would gladly go back to GB. I need someone to please solve this problem as it almost makes the phone unusable as a media (smart) phone.

After updating to ICS, I noticed some sluggishness in the stock browser that seems to have resolved after clearing the cache in settings>applications. Can't speak to third party browsers. Hope this helps.

Global Posts
    401 Global Posts

I would definitely recommend doing a factory reboot and while you're at it a wipe of the sdcard (back it up and places files back after) for good measure. I never took the OTA but have been running ICS roms for a while now and am now on one based on the official kernel etc.
    I had the same sluggish performance but last time around I did the factory reset along with triple wiping crap in hboot (not important for you non-rooted folk) and the browser now seems to be back to its original "smoothness".

PLUS, if you call VZW support you know the first they'd tell you to do is just that so may as well give it a shot rather than wasting time on the phone! ;-)

I believe it has to do with Java. If you turn it off, the pages will load fine. However, you can not see the discussions at the bottom of articles. Also, FB only shows first page load and will not load Older Posts.

I have done two resets and it is a little better. But scrolling back 4+ hours of FB posts makes the browser(s) unstable. I rolled back FB app to 1.8.4 from the 1.9.7 version, and this fixes the app.

Deleted duplicate post.
    Last edited by dstrakele; 08-10-2012 at 03:12 AM.

Deleted duplicate post.
    Last edited by dstrakele; 08-10-2012 at 03:15 AM.

I ran into some problems with the Streaming Media Player module of the stock ICS web browser after the ICS OTA update to my unrooted, locked, bone stock Rezound. I found the CNBC videos (.m3u8 codec) would no.longer open from the CNBC Mobile web site. I was able to work around this issue with another streaming media player (VPlayer) to recover this GB functionality.

Unfortunately, it did not help for my Surfline.com HD Surf Cam feeds. What once played smoothly under stock GB now was choppy, constantly buffering and attempting to reconnect to the stream on some of the Surf Cams. There were Flash and non-Flash options to stream, but neither choice helped. I associated video streams with VPlayer in "Settings - App Associations", but no luck. I cleared Cache and Data in stock Browser and Flash Player, rebooted, tried Dolphin Browser, and the Surfline Android App (uses Streaming Media Player in stock Browser in Non-Flash mode). Dolphin also uses the stock ICS Streaming Media Player giving the same choppy playback on the HD Surf Cam steams. Low bandwidth plays fine, but I paid for access to the HD Surf Cams.

I finally broke down and did a Factory Restore, installing only Adobe Flash Player 11. Amazingly the Non-Flash playback won"t even start if Flash Player is NOT installed. Unfortunately, there was no change in problem playback behavior.

I didn't anticipate I'd have Browser issues with the ICS OTA update, and with 20/20 hindsight, now wish I held off on installing it.
    Last edited by dstrakele; 08-10-2012 at 03:44 AM.
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast