Thank goodness for unlimited data!

anon(94115)

Banned
Nov 29, 2010
Visit site
Some is downloading movies that can use 1.5 per movie. A lot is programming websites, uploading databases, getting to my office computer from home, streaming music, and everything I just listed goes both ways. Uploading those things and downloading.

I am a bit old school with my programming. I download everything locally, make sure it works, then post it back up. I have a few databases of 3 gigs or so. In a night I can use 30 gig.

I keep waiting for VZ to bump me to a business plan, or at least ask why I use so much, but they don't.

Sent from my ADR6425LVW using Tapatalk 2

skatergirl

Retired Moderator
Mar 22, 2011
Visit site
Some is downloading movies that can use 1.5 per movie. A lot is programming websites, uploading databases, getting to my office computer from home, streaming music, and everything I just listed goes both ways. Uploading those things and downloading.

I am a bit old school with my programming. I download everything locally, make sure it works, then post it back up. I have a few databases of 3 gigs or so. In a night I can use 30 gig.

I keep waiting for VZ to bump me to a business plan, or at least ask why I use so much, but they don't.

It sounds like Verizon thought about capping its data but changed its mind.

However, if you want to talk about being hosed .... I am fairly rural and I was stuck with a crappy ma/pa service for a few years and then the evil Hughes Net for two years, which would throttle you down to no access at all after 250 mbs within a rolling 24-hour period.

Talk about hell. There were a couple of times when there was no explanation at all for the usage and I had to stay off the Internet for 24 hours for the system to recover.

Now, that's a hose job. Thank goodness Qwest (now Century Link) finally brought DSL to my neighborhood.

Lactose The Intolerant

Jun 1, 2010
Visit site
...the evil Hughes Net for two years, which would throttle you down to no access at all after 250 mbs within a rolling 24-hour period.

Talk about hell. There were a couple of times when there was no explanation at all for the usage and I had to stay off the Internet for 24 hours for the system to recover.

Wow, that sucks and blows at the same time!

skatergirl

Retired Moderator
Mar 22, 2011
Visit site
I would have had to move...

You have no idea .... It was the most frustrating consumer experience I have ever had and there were days I was like a fire breathing dragon spittin' mad Sicilian chick ready to go off! LOL!

kulkaholic

Jan 24, 2011
Visit site
Burn that data dude..... ever since VZ has stopped upgrades on unlimited data plans, i have not switched my Wi-Fi on at all... they can choose to limit my upgrades and i can choose to burn their data....

I never was on WiFi much, but now I even stream stuff when not watching. Not because they took away unlimited data but because all they gave us crap benefits (unlimited calling and texting) and plan throttled our data.

Sent from my ADR6425LVW using Android Central Forums

dpham00

Moderator Team VP
Apr 23, 2011
Visit site
4g devices are not throttled on Verizon.

I never was on WiFi much, but now I even stream stuff when not watching. Not because they took away unlimited data but because all they gave us crap benefits (unlimited calling and texting) and plan throttled our data.

Sent from my ADR6425LVW using Android Central Forums

lou61166

Banned
Mar 14, 2011
Visit site
Major, I had heard about the limit and so I called Century Link and they told me there was a 250gb limit.

Here is a link that says it went into effect Feb. 2012

CenturyLink | Legal - Internet Service Management

I am lucky I pay 110.00 a month for Verizon FiOS Quantum 75/35 fiber internet and HD TV with no caps or throttling.I feel for the ones stuck with limited providers

318sugarhill

Jun 9, 2010
Visit site
Skatergirl, I'd love to know your plan specifics because the Shared plan for me would cost $10 more a month for me, and I'd go from unlimited on 2 lines to 2 gb total. So not only would I pay more, but I'd be capped at such a low amount for 2 lines. Unfortunately wifi all day is not an option for me.

With the FCC recently fining VZW for blocking tethering apps, they are not perfectly legal to use.....Why would I need to get off my unlimited other than a subsidized phone?

MrSmith317

Mr Fix-It
Mar 1, 2010
Visit site
Skatergirl, I'd love to know your plan specifics because the Shared plan for me would cost $10 more a month for me, and I'd go from unlimited on 2 lines to 2 gb total. So not only would I pay more, but I'd be capped at such a low amount for 2 lines. Unfortunately wifi all day is not an option for me.

With the FCC recently fining VZW for blocking tethering apps, they are not perfectly legal to use.....Why would I need to get off my unlimited other than a subsidized phone?

To save a ton of money. Verizon beats us with the bill constantly and really don't expect them to leave you on unlimited forever. They're going to yank that carpet out sooner or later. They're just not trying to piss everyone off at once. Mark my words. There will be a day where grandfathered unlimited users will get the hard boot as well(probably within the next year).

skatergirl

Retired Moderator
Mar 22, 2011
Visit site

I have three smartphones on my plan. I used to have three smartphone and one dumbphone. I dumped the dumbphone because I really didn't need it, so $10-$12 of my savings was the dumbphone which would have cost me an extra $20+ had I kept it.

I had I think 2000 minutes and unlmitted text on the family plan and three data packages totaling $240 before tax and insurance. Now I am paying for three smartphones, $40 each and $70 in data.

I am paying a bit less in tax and no extra insurance of any kind of the dumbphone, so I am probably off a bit and I think I am saving $53 a month rather than $60. I got over zelous, sorry, because I made other changes like going to Vonage and getting a new discount on my DSL, and got some numbers wrong, but I definitely cut my Verizon bill down $53 a month.

dpham00

Moderator Team VP
Apr 23, 2011
Visit site
This is nothing new, it has been posted on AC before. Basically, after the $100 /10gb,you pay $10/2gb. The verizon documentation i saw goes up to 30gb.

Verizon also has this note on their website calculator.

" Need more than 10GB of data? Add 2GB for $10 by logging in to My Verizon. Data overage is $15 per 1GB."

Of course, 30gb they are offering is less than half of what i use, and i would be paying a helluva lot more.

Maybe slightly off topic (I love my unlimited), but it might be of interest to some folks:

Verizon divulges high data plans under 'Share Everything' - CNET Mobile

xxfallacyxx

Bearded
Aug 18, 2011
Visit site
11 days into my current billing cycle.

%255BUNSET%255D.png

recDNA

Jun 29, 2011
Visit site
It will cost me more to buy a phone retail and keep unlimited data than buy subsidized phone with new shared plan but I still want my unlimited data. I only uee about 5gb a month.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
coehlcke