Want ics

sbb888

Jan 28, 2011
Visit site
Hello again. Its been a while since I've been here. I check in once in a while but boy do things move fast around here. Now that ics is here I thought I would try it . I was scared to death to mess with my phone the first time but with all the good people here and several weeks of reading, I made it. I was hoping someone could give me a link or instructions on getting back to stock to take the ota update. I am unlocked,s-on,android 2.3.4, htc sense 3.5,running Ineffabilis v1.3. I am planning on doing the factory reset to get everything right. Any help would be greatly appreciated

RichardCA2

Aug 4, 2012
Visit site
What I found was that as long as you re-lock, you can install the RUU and it will upgrade you to the stock ICS configuration. I'm referring to this RUU:

[Exclusive Download] HTC Rezound Ice Cream Sandwich RUU For Final OTA (3.14.605.12)

I'm saying you don't have to be at a starting point of 100% stock for it to work. Just re-lock, load the RUU on your SD card, rename it to PH98IMG.zip, and give it a go. You should be fine. The warning about "you must be fully stock" is a little too paranoid IMHO.

Factory reset is not an option - you *will* get reset to factory as a result of the install, then again when you re-unlock the bootloader. That's a feature of the new ROM.

sbb888

Jan 28, 2011
Visit site
The instructions say it will not work if you are not fully stock and or if you used the htc bootloader to unlock the phone. I believe I did use the bootloader

318sugarhill

Jun 9, 2010
Visit site
The instructions say it will not work if you are not fully stock and or if you used the htc bootloader to unlock the phone. I believe I did use the bootloader

There is virtually no difference between the leaked .10 RUU and the OTA .12 RUU. I don't know about being fully stock for .12, but you only have to relock to run the .10. I am and have been on the .10 leak for a while and it's fine. I'm not changing to .12. Just remember, to flash an RUU, you must relock first. BACK UP everything, (including SD card, although that shouldn't be erased, but you never know). Flash the RUU twice. It will erase your phone. You can then unlock (you might as well do it immediately after you flash RUU since that too formats the phone). Boom, there you go.....ICS.

If you want to ROM it after this, then you are going to need to run one of the RUU's anyway to update the firmware for ICS roms.

sbb888

Jan 28, 2011
Visit site
Thanks for the info. I appreciate it. I will do some research on this when I get home. I don't want to screw anything up.

twolastnames

Nov 25, 2011
Visit site
An ruu is the full version of the software. You have to be locked though to run one, that is the only prerequisite. People that flash all the time will once in a while flash a ruu to get rid of some bugs that flashing may cause. The only catch is, if your s-on, you can only run the same one you're on, or a newer one, no going backwards.

I also believe quite a few guys got the official upgrade to his way, or something went wrong with the upgrade, and they had to run the ruu anyway.

sbb888

Jan 28, 2011
Visit site
I'm not quite as good at doing this as most of you guys. To get where I'm at now took several weeks, lol. After this setup my phone ran pretty good so I decided to leave well enough alone and not mess with it anymore. Now ics sounds too good to pass up. It's been so long since I did this, I can't remember how I got unlocked. Can you guide me to a link to get re locked and the ruu I will need
Thanks

sbb888

Jan 28, 2011
Visit site
Not sure, what is it or where can I look to find it. Sorry to sound dumb but I can't remember what it stands for and I'm on my phone so I can't scroll over it to see what it stands for

Last edited:

sbb888

Jan 28, 2011
Visit site
Ok, if I understand this, the RUU takes the place of the OTA update. Can someone tell me the advantage or disadvantage of the ruu over the ota

sbb888

Jan 28, 2011
Visit site
Ok, piizzadude, after some research, I do have the adb installed. Should I follow your instructions on "How to get ics if you are stuck"(post #1)

318sugarhill

Jun 9, 2010
Visit site
Go to the HTC Dev site where you went to unlock. To relock, it's the same instructions up to a point, and then you just enter a fast boot oem unlock. Follow Mr. Smith's guides on here. They won't disappoint. To Run the RUU, then just put it on your SD with the name PH98IMG.zip, turn the phone on while holding the volume button down. Phone will boot into the boot loader. it will find the RUU and you click ok to run it. Do this twice. Then you will basically have a brand new phone with ICS. I suggest you unlock it right then and there if you plan on rooting again, since the whole phone is wiped.

Last edited:

mike7728

Jun 25, 2012
Visit site
[How-To] Flash a leaked RUU
IT'S OVER IN THE ROOTING AND ROMING SECTION OF THIS FORUM.MR.SMITHS GUIDE TO FLASHING.

Last edited:

sbb888

Jan 28, 2011
Visit site
sorry to sound dumb but when I keep reading about the RUU, is this referring to the leak or does the ota also have a RUU.

tmettler5

Jun 22, 2010
Visit site
sorry to sound dumb but when I keep reading about the RUU, is this referring to the leak or does the ota also have a RUU.

they are the same. :)

I am a complete moron (just ask anyone!), and I had this up and running in about 15 minutes. Make sure you back up everything you want to save, since this will wipe your phone.

And ask questions...lots of questions...people here are great and will happily help you.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
kirk781