Do NOT want ICS OTA Update Frusterated please HELP!

JayK9684

Dec 17, 2010
Visit site
I have yet to receive a reply on my last posted thread. II recently posted that The ICS OTA update was being pushed to my phone and that it has kept rebooting several times a day. I researched the issue and have done the following yet it still persists. Waking up to the phone being in recovery mode with the OTA error message is getting quite old. I'm getting rather beyond frustrated at this point! I'm beyond baffled! Suggestions anyone?

Rooted
Stock ROM 2.3.4

Installed:

FOTAkill.apk in system/apps folder on internal sd card

(This did absolutely nothing)

Then.....

Removed files:

HTC COTA Client
MCC_OTA

Don't want to take next week's ICS OTA - xda-developers

skatergirl

Retired Moderator
Mar 22, 2011
Visit site
Well why did you respond then? Getting rooted isn't that difficult. I also see you have a tablet. You can root both your devices.

I responded because you were frustrated that no one has helped you out and I was just extending a warm forum hello.

Sorry for bothering you. Won't do it again.

MrSmith317

Mr Fix-It
Mar 1, 2010
Visit site
If you don't want the OTA(and I can't imagine why) then your best bet would be to remove/disable OTAupdate.apk(i think that's the name) Or figure out where the OTA was coming from and block it in your hosts file. Either should work.

Oh and pretty please leave the hostility at home(or the site that shall not be named), we're a pretty nice group here.

JayK9684

Dec 17, 2010
Visit site
That's exactly what I have done. I also now just cleared out the cache and davilk cache to remove the dex files from deleted system apps. By doing this would remove an files traces those apk's left behind. If that does not work i'm not sure what else to do short of learning how to flash roms. Thanks for the reply!

t0ughguy0

Aug 12, 2012
Visit site
I froze /system/app/HtcDm.apk with SystemApp Freezer which can also be accomplished by just renaming the file. I restarted the phone and it didn't give me any trouble. It removed the whole Software Update icon in Settings. I think it kills the update service. I'll have to see if my HTC Rezound prompts me to update anymore. Hope this helps. I've been trying to kill the updates for a few days now.

JayK9684

Dec 17, 2010
Visit site
If you don't want the OTA(and I can't imagine why) then your best bet would be to remove/disable OTAupdate.apk(i think that's the name) Or figure out where the OTA was coming from and block it in your hosts file. Either should work.

Oh and pretty please leave the hostility at home(or the site that shall not be named), we're a pretty nice group here.

Oh I'm not hostile just under alot of stress. I do apologize if I came off that way initially. :)

JayK9684

Dec 17, 2010
Visit site
I froze /system/app/HtcDm.apk with SystemApp Freezer which can also be accomplished by just renaming the file. I restarted the phone and it didn't give me any trouble. It removed the whole Software Update icon in Settings. I think it kills the update service. I'll have to see if my HTC Rezound prompts me to update anymore. Hope this helps. I've been trying to kill the updates for a few days now.

Well after removing the files I had listed followed by wiping both caches it has yet to reboot on me. I think that took care of it because the dex files are no longer present. Keep in mind to boot into recovery and wipe cache and davilk. My phone gets stuck at the 4G boot screen so I just remove the battery and boot up and it works fine. I actually had considered freezing or uninstalling that apk. By the way I use Titanium Backup TiB. Works great! Anyhow that apk actually isn't for service provider updates it's for HTC updates I found out. http://forums.androidcentral.com/arc...?t-179004.html. With that said keep me updated in a few days to see how that plays out as i'll do the same thing. I read someone was getting error messages after removing the HTCDM.apk. And if your rooted install an app called LBE Privacy Guard. It controls all app permissions. Thank you for commenting in! :):)

Jude526

Trusted Member
Dec 13, 2010
Visit site
The day I received the phone as a replacement for my bolt it alerted me ICS was ready. I can't imagine not having it. I feel for my bolt buddies. ICS is awesome and every device should have it. I will have my phone a week tomorrow and I love it. I welcomed the update. No issues at all

sent from my Rezound

JayK9684

Dec 17, 2010
Visit site
The day I received the phone as a replacement for my bolt it alerted me ICS was ready. I can't imagine not having it. I feel for my bolt buddies. ICS is awesome and every device should have it. I will have my phone a week tomorrow and I love it. I welcomed the update. No issues at all

sent from my Rezound

Honestly I hear people have had battery issues with the new update and their are bugs. The UI (user Interface) doesn't really appeal to me. Then again i'm use to Gingerbread and being rooted. Thanks for the input. :)

t0ughguy0

Aug 12, 2012
Visit site
So far on freezing HtcDm.apk, no problems. No FCs, no issues connecting to the network, no issues installing apps, and best of all no failed update messages. I'm feeling pretty good about this so far. I couldn't go more than an hour before without getting another failed update message. I'll update to ICS when I'm good and ready.

majorpayne

May 9, 2011
Visit site
Honestly I hear people have had battery issues with the new update and their are bugs. The UI (user Interface) doesn't really appeal to me. Then again i'm use to Gingerbread and being rooted. Thanks for the input. :)

Battery issues are due to the Dirty Flash and people just don't want to believe it. ICS allows rooting just the same as GB did. So if your only arguement for staying on GB is that you like it better then ICS that is fine but just say so. We won't be mad if that is where you want to stay. Personally I have gone to ICS for the battery boost and speed increase but I don't count much as I'm not even on the offical release nor have I ever been.

majorpayne

May 9, 2011
Visit site
What is the dirty flash? Is this adobe flash? How can it be corrected?

Thanks

A Dirty Flash is what Verizon did when they released the OTA. Dirty Flash is when you install a new OS over another one so that you keep all your data intact. What is causes is a set of unknown unpredictable things to happen. Things that shouldn't be happening. Most of the time a factory reset will fix this and is usually the 1st things that VZW asks when you call into technical support for these issues.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Sleezzyy21